Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

These Farage at Large events have proven popular. Basically, each Thursday Farage heads out to some town to discuss local matters - very much in the way that Vincent Browne did; only the difference is that the venue is a pub, but a live audience all the same. Personally, I think live audiences should be used far more on the channel.

Better to diversify the channel rather than having too much based in studio, so this is a good move. The same application applies to Andrew Doyle's show (Free Speech Nation) on Sundays, though his focusses on laughing at the whole Woke agenda stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They have the right ruling family at any rate:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Proven Popular with whom? based on what evidence?

Is it attracting more viewers to the TV show? , Are advertisers spending more money?

Popular How?

The clip I saw of the last one showed a pretty sparsely attended event in some Pub - Is that what you mean by "popular" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Free Speech Nation"

Christ is this GBnews or MURICAnews

As long as they manage to wind up the Left, I don't care what GB News titles their programmes.

I'll admit people were worried at first but no one is wound up by this flop. The few people who talk about it are laughing and honestly outside of this thread I never hear about the channel.

It is completely absent from the public discourse even the Farage stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Seems to me that each one will be Farage's standard viewership plus whoever is in the pub at the time who are almost certainly part of that demographic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

But GB News is not absent from discourse, no matter how many times the mantra is repeated.

It's interesting to note that even though their monthly subscriber growth remains flat (if you ignore the expected peak around June), that monthly video views are rising at a very appreciable rate - with 17.1 million video views in October, up from 11.6 million views in September. Subscriber growth is always slow and flat, so that's unsurprising (unless you're a viral channel).

What matters is the rate of growth of new video views, and on this more important metric, GB News is experiencing substantial growth. Now, I know this will be dismissed because it's argued that GB News is a "TV Channel", but as Frangopoulos himself declared several weeks ago, GB News is a "digital business with a TV channel" - that this is the direction of travel.

As long as this kind of growth is sustained (not just on YouTube, but throughout the digital sphere - eg. TikTok is performing unexpectedly well among a far more youthful audience); GB News will continue not only to remain relevant, but to expand that relevance in the months and, yes, years ahead. They have years of financial runway to continue this growth and pivot toward ever greater success.

I see we're desperately pointing at video views rather than answering questions again.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

• Advertisement

There is nobody on the street or down the "proper working man's" pub talking about what happened on GBnews last night. Nobody quoting it or referencing it.Practically nobody in the media or professional sphere either.

I was all geared up for a fight with my Piers Morgan and Sun newspaper loving friends and family about GBnews but they have either ignored it or agree it's a joke.

Even on Boards it's practically nonexistent on other politics or CA threads

Those estimates of earnings from online are incredibly broad firstly. But even if they made 700k annually from YouTube(strongly doubt that). That's pretty dismal and wouldn't keep a TV station afloat... Ironically your own graph shows a massive decline in monthly subscribers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They have years of financial runway

according to who?

On the subscriber question, I already addressed that in my post.

Second, nobody is suggesting the situation is static. The goal is dynamic growth, levitating annual revenue to a higher level.

subscriber growth is not "slow and flat". the subscriber numbers are declining since august.

It's not even flat though, it's pretty clearly on a downward trajectory. Eg it gained 33k followers in September and declined to 13k in October. On top of that, their daily earnings from YouTube can be anywhere between €100-2500. Even at 2500 that's not gonna keep a station running.

Meanwhile they struggle to get advertisers on their TV channel... On top of that, if they follow the trajectory of Sky News Australia and veer into conspiracy theory territory which I suspect is inevitable that will literally blacklist them on YouTube. ;) So their position with dismal earnings is likely precarious.

• Advertisement

...which is entirely expected and predictable for new YouTube channels. In fact, it would be odd for subscriber numbers to increase at the same rate as viewer numbers. The fact that total video views experienced a 35pc increase, despite subscriber numbers growing at a negligible rate, is reason for enthusiasm. If you were to own a YouTube channel with the same metrics and earning potential, you wouldn't focus on subscriber numbers - you'd focus on the revenue and viewership figures, as would be right.

To take two other examples, GMB and BBC News - both flat-ish growth, in the case of GMB, declining (when you ignore the May peaks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They also bloat there "views" by posting multiple sub 90 second clips from the same interview.

This is a common trick as it boosts the viewership of lower content channels fast.

Instead of one person watching the single 3 minute video and counting as 1 view, it becomes 2 views artifically inflating the figure.

If you were a single individual, yep it would be decent. Not so much a news channel. They rank 3000th for the UK in contrast to BBC news at 40th. Even at that level, they're making somewhere between 140k and 2.3 million....

BBC news also by contrast gained 300,000 followers in August with lows of 100k in September and October. Their low since January 2019 is 96k. Their peak for this year was 610,000. Meanwhile you're trying to gbnews as successful?

Fyi, Sky News had a low 30,000 subs in one over last two years. So they all out perform gb news.

So while social media is a terrible metric cause they're not gonna make much money from it. They are performing pretty poorly in contrast to BBC news or sky news. So they're not exactly shining on any platform.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Kim Oro started in Feb, has 5million subs and 1 billion views. And that's not including the **** they have on other sites.

Now I'm comparing apples with you know.....but it's not exactly great.

So subscribers are not important? You wouldn't shut up about subscriber numbers only a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

This is the most honest thing you've said - this entire thread, your promotion of GB News, of Farage, of all manner of (IMO) odious people, it's not really about them at all. It's about your hatred of what you consider to be the "left", or "woke". A "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" approach, perhaps.

It's intellectually bankrupt, but you don't care about that as long as you can keep sticking it to the libtards you hate so much.

• Advertisement

It's viewers (all 5 of them) can't take more than 90 seconds due to poor attention spans as a result of low I.Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭livia21

was watching GB News on guy fawkes evening.My son walked in and asked why I was watching..told him it's a good laugh because of how angry and offended the host's are.Within minutes we were both in knots laughing.

Mark Steyn was very angry at the treatment of Owen Paterson.His fists were clenched and looked as he was going to combust.He claims that Paterson had bravely taken on "the most dangerous job in the world"SOS for Nortern Ireland and that SF had tried to kill Paterson on multiple occasions.Claimed it was a disgrace that Paterson had to stand down while SF were in power in NI..then claims NI has one of the most corrupt goverments in the western world.Doesn't seem to have heard of DUP but facts don't matter to this lot.

Colm Brazier was up next..He was upset that the real history of Guy Fawkes was not being taught in schools..very sad that todays kids don't seem to know about the war between catholics and protestants.This of course was the fault of the" woke mob"

No matter what way you try to pray the GB News away, that's doesn't eliminate almost 18 million YouTube views in October.

Nor does it eliminate the 1.8 million TV views, millions of Facebook and Tiktok views - and all the rest.

You can glibly dismiss these facts but - in the end - facts are facts and they can't be wished away, no matter how many times you want us to believe that there are only 5 viewers.

Ultimately, the anger and evident frustration against GB News in your post demonstrates that, far from laughing at the channel and its supporters, you're incensed by its mere existence.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm quite pleased about the reaction that GB News has managed to achieve against the hard-left and anti-Conservative dogmatists.

Long may it continue as far as I'm concerned.

that 1.8M tv views is over a month so 60,000 a day. hardly impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

AGAIN you act as if views are equal to to unique people, this thread has had over 165k views, that does not mean 165k people are interested in this thread.

I can't believe that this has to be explained to you every second day!

Never once suggested, not once, that views were synonymous with unique visits.

Perhaps you'd be kind to show us all where I stated that view numbers were equal to unique visits?

It doesn't.

It appears that Eskimohunt is so wedded to this failed TV channel that he's openly ignoring basic facts and inventing his own such as new advertisers that he cannot name because he doesn't watch ads but knows there are new advertisers.

Smarter people than me have broken down how sht those numbers are and I find it gas that "hard" right people are fawning over TikTok numbers. Shure isn't that one of those social media places that turns the youth into lazy feckless wokey libs.

Far from incensed which as I admitted I was worried early on. I actually love the existence of GBnews as it has buried Farage down a tiny little hole that people couldn't be bothered to look in to. The man has been completely neutered and long may it continue as you say

I think thats why GB News is failing so miserably.

I was really looking forward to a "right-wing" news outlet and thought it would be great to counterbalance the most well known news outlets which present the news with a left leaning skew.

Unfortunately, it quickly became apparent that it exists purely to wind up the left (and fails to do so) and has no real jounalistic merit.

It comes across as a parody of what a leftist would imagine a right wing news station would be.

I have no interest in it or it's programming. One or two opinion piece programs may have had potential but to consider themselves a reputable news station is laughable.

The station had a real opportunity to be a proper news station, but it's obsession with winding up the left has ruined any credibility.

This is similar to what I hear from centre right people I know but its interesting to hear it form someone who unlike me believes that BBC/RTE and all the rest are left

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You are absolutely correct.

Sadly it's what the "right" has become in recent times - No actual agenda or policies just eternal faux outrage over something or other and a hated of "others". Everything the other side are doing is "Dangerous" , "Treacherous" etc. etc.

It's all evocative inflammatory language , it's pathetic.

I consider myself firmly centre-right in my politics , but I struggle to see any alignment on almost anything with any declared "right wing" public figures these days.

They are permanently Angry and/or frightened about how some insignificant irrelevant thing is going to be the death of their countries culture or something.

I can disagree with a lot of what the left might put forward , but at least they actually have a vision of what they are trying to do and how they might get there. That's a starting point that you can work from and negotiate on etc.

That's how it's supposed to work - The two sides put forward their plans and you negotiate your way towards a "middle" that everyone can be happy with.

The problem today is that the right don't have a plan so all they do is shout, scream and block any efforts to do anything by anyone else.

It's completely amateur. The hosts for the most part look like they've won, or maybe lost, a competition to be on tv for a day. Even the seasoned ones are just not at the races.

The problem today is that the right don't have a plan so all they do is shout, scream and block any efforts to do anything by anyone else.

That's the modern left / woke agenda /cancel culture you're talking about, actually.

The same people who parrot on about RTE/BBC being hard left, also shout the loudest about them being government propagandists, conveniently forgetting our centre right and leaving more to the right gov't and the very right over the water

I actually thought this was someone joking with all the /// and parroted American terms until I scrolled up a little further

And 18 million YouTube views in October translates into 600,000 views per day.

Those "5 people" that watch GB News must have been very busy on YouTube in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That alone just shows how confused the "right" are these days. All the messages they receive are such muddled nonsense, so what ends up being most important to them is that they wind up the "left".

What a great thing to base a set of political views on. 🙄

That's it hone in on the clearly exaggerated joke comment. No one will notice you ignoring all the other comments

Shure it works every time 😉

Complains about me focussing on a "clearly exaggerated" joke comment, when they've just gone and done exactly the same thing just now. 😋

• Advertisement

Any reason why you didn't address my post where I pointed to how their average subscriber growth on YouTube pales in contrast to either sky news or BBC? Similarly they're substantially below that of sky news which would consider 30 million views a month as a bad month... Similarly 30 would be a bad month for BBC news, they're often surpassing a hundred million views on YouTube.

But even via monetisation, neither channel is profitable meanwhile at best 700k for gbn...

GB News has existed since June, and you're complaining that their YouTube figures aren't as high as channels that have been around a decade.

Come on man, be realistic.

GB News is a work in progress. For the time frame to date, they're doing pretty well. Better to make that comparison in a few years from now.

5 months in, 18 million views in 1 month. Where will it be in 2-years from now? You can see why there's growing optimism from those at the top.

They're not doing pretty well, though, by pretty much any metric you want to measure. The fact that you have to resort to looking for youtube viewing figures for a TV station is proof of that. If they were doing well, then their TV viewing figures would reflect that. If they got 100 million YT views a month but the TV figures were still abysmal, then we'd still be saying the same thing...........

What's become more and more apparent, however, is your fawning adoration of Farage and GBeebies in general is not based in reality. Your choice of language belies the fact that you're on the windup. You sound like a government spokesperson who's been forced to publicly back something they don't want to back, all bluster with very little substance. Twice in the past 24 hrs you've practically admitted that you're only in it to wind up the left.

We can see right through you.

Here's a prime example. You claimed that you haven't seen any 'populist lies' from Farage, but are conveniently forgetting about the Brexit bus which he completely backtracked on, about 4 hrs after the Brexit vote was done. What was that all about, if not a lie to stir up the feeble-minded xenophobes?

You claim someone in a c.€700k house is average middle class........yet were spunking your jocks a few weeks ago about the upper class jacket he wears.

You are all up in arms about people making accusations against right wingers without foundation, yet you did the exact same thing about Rashford (and you're still doing it).

You gave out yards a few months ago about people tarnishing everyone on the right with the same brush, yet every day you're on here with your "many on the left" or "what the left fail to realise..."

You, Sir, are a fraud and a hypocrite. If you're not doing it for a wind-up, then you need to take a long hard look at your moral compass and reevaluate your stance on a number of issues. But, as we already know, you ARE on the wind-up, because you openly admitted it.

"You gave out yards a few months ago"

It's gave out metres. Shure didn't the EU fatcats ban imperial 😂

You've just reminded me of another one........Andrew Neil was lionised for his morals, values and the tactical nous he brought to the table and EskimoHunt was quick to point out how much of a valuable addition he was. Then Neil went on a sabattical, and it was all "he's only taking a break, no rats and sinking ships to be seen here", despite everyone saying he was gone because GBN was a dumpster fire.

Turns out they were correct, he was jumping ship because of GBN is amateurish beyond belief, then all of a sudden Eskimo turns on him and he's a 'sore loser' or something similar. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's what cultists do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The point being made which you continually refuse to acknowledge is their their 2 major competitors have 30 times or more views and still arent profitable yet you continue to push GBN youtube views as proof of them being viable.

Indeed. When Andrew Neil is the closest thing you have to a legitimate journalist, you're not a news channel.

I think the dehumanisation of GB News presenters is far more chilling than my lukewarm support for the channel.

And yes, I'm glad the channel winds up many on the hard-left. I've made no secret of that fact, and that the same people brought GB News on themselves due to the insanity and borderline comedy that Woke-ism and cancel culture have become.

I don't think he had the influence he thought he would and his ego couldn't handle it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement