Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayfielder

As much as I'd like to bandy figures about with you the fact is BARB viewing figures are only available on subscription and this argument isn't important enough for me to put my hand in my pocket :)

But my only observation is on the night in question in the link I posted Colin Brazier recorded four times the audience of Sky News and Farage three times the audience.

I don't know about you but that doesn't constitute a blip in my book ...

Guido wasn't the source.

Guido referenced BARB data, which is available to anyone who seeks to access it.

This.

It's GB News denial.

No evidence is ever accepted that supports GB News or portrays it in a positive light. When it does exist, it's either questioned and, when proven, ignored. At the same time, every evidence is accepted that is negative toward GB News - neither questioned nor ignored.

They apply higher standards of evidence re: GB News, when the claim is positive, and lower the bar of evidence when the claim is negative.

How convenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's a debating forum. Surely, asking questions is the point.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

As I said.

They apply higher standards of evidence re: GB News, when the claim is positive, and lower the bar of evidence when the claim is negative.

This isn't "debating". It's trying to prove a biased point that doesn't exist. It may play to the crowd and accrue thanks and so on, but it's not "debate". That's easy. Anyone can do that. Perhaps it allays the anxiety of those who are troubled that a channel, such as GB News, can even exist. I don't know, but it's not "debate". It's trying to tear down a channel for the crime of being on the "wrong side" of the political spectrum.

Once people swat away the irritatingly propagandistic and predictable din about GB News, many people come to the conclusion that the channel simply isn't as bad as is made out.

The ordinary working person in the street, who doesn't care sideways about Left versus Right, may very well be swayed by opinions that GB News is some hateful outlet for ethno-nationalist racism, homophobia, and fascism. Once they watch, say, an episode of Mark Dolan Tonight, they'll conclude that, "You know what, it isn't that bad at all. In fact, it's nowhere near what I've heard".

And so they listen and watch further.

What this does, if anything, is tell the same ordinary working person on the street is that the people we can definitely ignore are the extremists who label GB News as the "outlet for ethno-nationalist racism, homophobia, and borderline fascism".

Without realising it, and perhaps most ironically of all, the people most opposed to GB News are probably serving as the greatest free advertising arm of viewing recruitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Once people swat away the irritatingly propagandistic and predictable din about GB News, many people come to the conclusion that the channel simply isn't as bad as is made out.

The ordinary working person in the street, who doesn't care sideways about Left versus Right, may very well be swayed by opinions that GB News is some hateful outlet for ethno-nationalist racism, homophobia, and fascism. Once they watch, say, an episode of Mark Dolan Tonight, they'll conclude that, "You know what, it isn't that bad at all. In fact, it's nowhere near what I've heard.".

This is as honest as you have ever been on this thread. You have confirmed what I have said I believed about your belief that if you just bang on long enough about GBnews that the silent majority will come flocking.

For a man who chastised other for "predicting the future" look at your language. "The ordinary working person" (which isn't a real thing) you claim "they'll conclude" that you were right all along. You see in your head they may be swayed until they watch and are awakened by the light. You are basically one of the CT "sheeple" peddlers.

You really really believe that goading the few of us who gives a sht about coming on this thread is going to work in getting the gospel out there. You seriously overestimate the reach of this thread and Boards

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The flaw in your argument here is that it's based solely on your word with no evidence. Ordinarily, I'd use a combination of good faith and my own memory but given the various falsehoods you've peddled here, your word counts for scant little I'm afraid.

As I said before, GB News as an organisation doesn't interest me. I do wonder why you're so wedded to it that you've continually fabricated viewers and advertisers and keep pretending that it's about to turn a corner while its own CEO talks about how much longer they can last without turning a profit.

As for "the ordinary working person in the street", they're not watching. If GB News is enjoying a boost thanks to the dozen or so active posters on this thread, it clearly has a miniscule viewer base.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

This conversation reminded me of this tweet from a few weeks ago from an academic asked to appear on GB News for his opinion.

He could have

a) politely declined

or

b) tried to score a cheap virtue point on Twitter

Naturally he went for b).

https://mobile.twitter.com/RichardJMurphy/status/1435342072207355912

Why boast about turning down a station asking for your views because you think it only represents views you don't agree with ?

Bizarre.

What a thoroughly immature and embarrassing response from an academic professor.

• Advertisement

Genuine question.

How much of GBNews output have you watched ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So is GBnews now taking a stance that Covid is a conspiracy concocted by governments ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

All viewpoints welcome, no matter how controversial or disputed. Free speech isn't free if any viewpoints aren't allowed.

Just don't kneel. Even if you drop something on the ground, you must bend purely at the hips keeping legs straight at all time.

Good luck with that.

This was from September 2020, 9-months before GB News even broadcast their first show.

In other words, objectivity gets thrown out the window.

Certitude and dogmatism reign supreme.

Well I don't mind that because we all have our own pre-conceived ideas about things before we experience them.

I just wondered what part of GB News' output he objected to.

I had to turn it off myself last night.Someone standing in for Mark Nolan was so amateurishly bad I couldn't bear to watch it.

RTE's Claire Byrne is another one who has me reaching for the remote as soon as she comes on.

That prediction could not have been more wrong.

Ethno-nationalism? Where!?

White victimhood? Where!?

Far-right? Which GB News presenter is far-right (implying support for authoritarianism, fascism etc.)

Farage, Farage and surprise surprise FARAGE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Just on the BARB Data.

The publicly available info has been updated and unsurprisingly it shows that the ongoing and sustained decline in GB News viewing numbers continues.

Another week, another decline of ~5% of total viewers - dropping from a 4 week total of 1.772M to 1.696M

The 4 weeks of data shows the decline clearly. 1.92M - 1.812M - 1.772M - 1.696M

That loss of ~5% each week is the only bit of consistency that GB News has been able to muster thus far.

I will caveat that by saying that the public BARB figures are a few week back - currently only showing up to the end of October , but the trend displayed is consistent.

No, no, no.

Farage joined the channel in July so, even if your misrepresentation of him were true (and it most certainly isn't true), that wouldn't justify referring to the entire channel as a bastion for racism, ethno-nationalism, white victimhood, and so on.

You believe Farage is parroting far-right ethno-nationalist racism, fine. That's your right to believe.

So are you implying that if Farage weren't presenting on the channel, that GB News wouldn't be a haven for white-nationalist racism?

They weren't wrong.... Recent content includes the rather racist Nigel Farage objecting to calling refugees "humans". Then there's their penchant for inviting on guests well known for both racism and homophobia.

A quick glance at their Twitter and it's naturally targeting transgender people. They've also started the "war on Christmas" nonsense. They also had an outrage segment over a Norwegian Christmas ad which has riled up the homophobes.(I know, you're gonna say that you're gay and are highly upset with Santa kissing a man)

So yep, they're really matching the expectations that posters had of them.

You asked where and were shown and have predictably ignored the answer.

For sure, the gay Santa ad should never have been published. In exactly the same way that Santa snogging a woman wouldn't be right, either. Little kids shouldn't be exposed to sexualisation like this, irrespective of whether it's a man or a woman. I haven't seen GB News picking up this story, to be honest, but if they are against it based on my kind of reasoning, then I see no problem with that whatsoever.

Your a great man for screenshots when it suits.

We're not so great with them when I asked you for the posts to back up things you wrongly accused me of saying

• Advertisement

if GBNews do mention it it will be because it involves 2 men and no other reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you object to the traditional (this is its 70th Christmas, released in 1952 so 69 years old before we end up in another diversionary maths thing) Christmas song "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus", then?

I'm a big fan of Colin Brazier and Alastair Stewart.

Both great reporters in their day.

First, that data is from October, not November. I think you'll find November's figures to be far more promising. Second, in October you're talking about a loss of approximately 76,000 in the last week of October.

That's at a time when, in the entire month of October, GB News had almost 18,000,000 views on YouTube. So I think some sense of perspective is needed here. Focussing on those 76,000 misrepresents the greater picture at work here.

Nobody is denying the existence of a trend, but some sense of balance is needed here, as GB News is a digital product with a TV channel etc.

In fact, their YouTube is exploding in recent days - on Sunday alone, they had 3,000 new subscribers, for instance.

Yesterday, GB News YouTube channel had almost 1 million views.

and you are back to talking up their YT views. sad.

• Advertisement

Oh it would be, Farage just adds the icing to that cake.

We're back to the Youtube nonsense again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Meanwhile nobody in Norway cares. You must object to Santa Baby and I saw Mummy Kissing Santa Claus. Both played every Christmas. You're very predictable.

"In exactly the same way that Santa snogging a woman wouldn't be right, either. "

You know there is a sing from 1952 called "I saw mommy kissing santa clause" that literally depicts this right? You should start writing angry emails to radio stations demanding they remove it from thier playlists before it offends you 🙄🤣

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What the BARB figures show is that over the course of the month of October , the GB News "4 week rolling total" declined from 1.92M to 1.69M which is 230k of a loss over the month.

That trend is carried back all the way to the summer - At the end of July they were at 2.61M for there 4 week average , so over that ~3 Months from then to the end of October they've lost a million monthly viewers to the TV channel.

Despite your protestations to the contrary , no amount of YouTube views replaces that from a financial perspective.

You're missing the point.

Traditional TV news is dying out. Audiences are switching to online and video-sharing platforms.

GBNews is a digital news organisation with a TV channel attached.

Dobbo is being put out to grass, so to speak.

https://www.digitalnewsreport.org/publications/2016/what-is-happening-to-television-news/

Except we've gone over how much they could earn from YouTube and it's simply not possible to turn a profit given staff and production costs...

GBNews is a digital news organisation with a TV channel attached.

according to who? they launched a tv station with all the expense that involves. why do that if the audience isn't there? YT views don't pay the bills for a TV station.

"

GBNews is a digital news organisation with a TV channel attached."

Parroting EH earlier claims or forgot to switch account??

Either way the above is a lie, GBEEBIES was launched as a TV channel, you're just trying to claim it is something else because its circling the drain.

• Advertisement

Another poster rewiring history. They are a TV station with social media presence added on as an afterthought. The fact that you're calling them a "news" station when they don't even have news bulletins is ludicrous. They are a television version of an opinion piece. Literally, an overtly hypocritical foghorn of bile and thinly veiled xenophobia, feeding rubbish to the racist mouth-breathers who lap this sh1t up.

Nobody is denying the trend, all we're saying is that an evaluation of GB News amounts to more than just citing BARB data from October. To deny altogether the social media / YouTube side of things is the equivalent of analysing TV channels in the 1990s. Things have moved on, and social media plays an enormous role for any business.

I'm going to predict now (at the grave risk of having egg all over my face in a few days time) that November's BARB data will buck this trend and see an increase in the number of viewers.

GB News has just launched a mass advertising campaign to promote the channel.

A GB News van is expected outside the BBC’s London headquarters branded with the slogan: “We ask the questions you’d ask. BBC News doesn’t.”

Angelos Frangopoulos, the channel’s CEO, said: “GB News is committed to serving the 86 per cent of people who live beyond southeast and London – the ‘silent majority’ of Britain – so our campaign meets them mostly where they are, in the regions.”

Michael Moszynski, CEO of London Advertising, which coordinated the campaign, said they were targeting the “50 per cent of Britons [who] haven’t heard of GB News yet”.

They've also gone to social media with the same kind of messaging.

It'll be interesting to see if this campaign yields any significant results.

No, it doesn't. It's a TV channel with a social media presence like any other business. If the social media presence isn't increasing consumption then it's pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Why promote the channel if their main focus is on social media, and why wouldn't 50% of Britons have heard of the channel if their social media impact was so good?

It just doesn't make sense....

In seriousness though, nothing more than a publicity stunt that'll play to their existing base but likely have little impact other than that.

A "Mass advertising campaign"

Here's a van with what we thought would be a catchy slogan, sorry.....its all we could afford 🤣🤣🤣

And the first line of the article you linked

"Crisis-hit GB News is to launch a new advertising campaign "

🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I see the nonsensical "silent majority" being mentioned there again.

There isn't one. Anywhere. Any time its used, its being used by someone with an obvious minority viewpoint trying to convince themselves they aren't in the minority. See people insisting the SSM and Repeal referendums here would be overturned, for instance.

They're often an exceptionally vocal group too, ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

There absolutely is. There was for a good few years imo a silent majority of people who wanted SSM and removal of the 8th. But for years politicians wouldn't touch either subject.

But they weren't "silent" , ignored perhaps but absolutely definitely not silent.

This idea that there is a large cohort of people that say nothing publicly or indeed even in opinion polls but then suddenly appear unexpectedly at the ballot box to express their feelings is a fallacy.

• Advertisement

for a "silent majority" they were very loud and vocal. So much so the politicians had no choice but to run referendums.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement