Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Many old PlayStation games were riddled with issues, but that didn't stop them being great games to this day.

What have computer games got to do with this? It's a ridiculously inept comparison.

GB News is something that should just be on Youtube with as few people as possible. It's like trying to sell some sort of premium washing up liquid for £20 per bottle.

Many people don't like it because it's clearly a grubby little attempt to cash in on the culture war and the idiots behind it somehow don't know that broadcast TV is all but dead when it comes to news.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

What have computer games got to do with this? It's a ridiculously inept comparison.

GB News is something that should just be on Youtube with as few people as possible. It's like trying to sell some sort of premium washing up liquid for £20 per bottle.

Many people don't like it because it's clearly a grubby little attempt to cash in on the culture war and the idiots behind it somehow don't know that broadcast TV is all but dead when it comes to news.

The broader point I was making is that technical issues don't necessarily have to mean something is bad. The substance of the channel, much like a game, is what matters in the end.

As for GB News cashing in on the culture wars, the only reason such a war exists is because there has been a one-sided, spineless media organism that has fomented the conditions for war. GB News wouldn't exist had it not been for the pre-existing ideological militia that are given the time of day that they clearly do not deserve. Furthermore, I doubt very much that GB News will rake in the cash on this issue anyway. Andrew Neil's interview with Chancellor Sunak yesterday had nothing whatsoever to do with culture wars - it was all finance. So, let's not paint GB News as some anti-woke central; because it ain't.

GB News exists to balance that inequality, so to speak.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The broader point I was making is that technical issues don't necessarily have to mean something is bad. The substance of the channel, much like a game, is what matters in the end.

As for GB News cashing in on the culture wars, the only reason such a war exists is because there has been a one-sided, spineless media organism that has fomented the conditions for war. GB News wouldn't exist had it not been for the pre-existing ideological militia that are given the time of day that they clearly do not deserve.

Going to need evidence for that because the media here is overwhelmingly conservative. The Mail, The Express, The Sun, The Telegraph, etc. There's a few left-leaning outlets like the Guardian but they're minnows by comparison. The BBC show their pro-Tory bias every election and in their coverage of Corbyn.

So yeah, this whole idea of a leftist media is a complete fantasy but since you made the claim, do feel free to back it up.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Going to need evidence for that because the media here is overwhelmingly conservative. The Mail, The Express, The Sun, The Telegraph, etc. There's a few left-leaning outlets like the Guardian but they're minnows by comparison. The BBC show their pro-Tory bias every election and in their coverage of Corbyn.

So yeah, this whole idea of a leftist media is a complete fantasy but since you made the claim, do feel free to back it up.

I was referring to TV media, by the way, rather than paper media given we are discussing GB News.

I don't regard the BBC as pro-Tory by any means. In the last couple of elections, Nigel Farage of the Right was clearly treated with a heavy hand. Hardly makes the BBC a right-wing organism.

And woke-ism definitely goes unchallenged by the BBC, that's for sure.

Channel 4 is a pro-woke propaganda outlet riddled with ideological extremism.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Surely if this isn't your cup of tea, don't watch it?
    I wouldn't read the Guardian, pure drivel. Do I harass people that do? No, it's none of my business.
    Get over yourselves.

• Advertisement

I was referring to TV media, by the way, rather than paper media given we are discussing GB News.

I don't regard the BBC as pro-Tory by any means. In the last couple of elections, Nigel Farage of the Right was clearly treated with a heavy hand. Hardly makes the BBC a right-wing organism.

No evidence then. Grand.

They put Farage on a pedestal. He's been on Question Time more than anyone else. He was appearing nearly monthly at one stage back in the days of the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭I see sheep

How long would it take to fail? What makes you think.its a success in the UK? I don't know anyone who watches it, most people.i have talked to about it didn't even know it was on air.

Yeah ok I'll rephrase that - it wouldn't happen in the first place in Ireland.

No evidence then. Grand.

They put Farage on a pedestal. He's been on Question Time more than anyone else. He was appearing nearly monthly at one stage back in the days of the referendum.

Many people complain that Farage was on Question Time too much, but say nothing about the fact that he's hectored and shouted down by a Left-leaning panel. Even the host displays anti-Farage bias.

Many people complain that Farage was too many times on Question Time, but say nothing about the fact that he's hectored and shouted down by a Left-leaning panel. Even the host displays anti-Farage bias.

Evidence please. Not cherrypicked incidents but actual evidence that he was constantly shouted down on a systemic basis.

Evidence please. Not cherrypicked incidents but actual evidence that he was constantly shouted down on a systemic basis.

Here is one such example from pre-Brexit times:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

It an attempt to offer something different to the current MSM narrative. I wish them good luck with it. The only reason I knew it was on the air was that my most woke friend emailed me saying how horrified he was it was on the air. Fair play to them for trying something and giving it a go. It if fails, it fails, but there seems to be justification for trying to offer something different in this space. nope?

The cherrypicking proves nothing. Actual proof please.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Butson wrote: »
    Surely if this isn't your cup of tea, don't watch it?
    I wouldn't read the Guardian, pure drivel. Do I harass people that do? No, it's none of my business.
    Get over yourselves.

The point is that the thread was started by a supporter/viewer of the channel telling everyone how happy they were and how great it was going to be.

People responded saying that they weren't likely to be fans and now that it's live have also responded with feedback on the thus far, fairly poor quality of the offering.

The "Pro GB News" folks are now upset and offended by this just like they are upset and offended by BBC , Channel 4, RTE etc. etc. etc.

If you don't want to hear peoples feedback about something you think is great , maybe don't go looking for it??

I present evidence, then you alter the goalposts about the definition of "proof".

What is the standard of "proof" you are using?

Having watched Farage on each Question Time appearance, it is almost always a pro-EU panel versus Farage. Don't take my word for it, watch each of these episodes for yourself to acquire the "proof" that you are so eagerly thirsty to imbibe.

As for GB News cashing in on the culture wars, the only reason such a war exists is because there has been a one-sided, spineless media organism that has fomented the conditions for war. GB News wouldn't exist had it not been for the pre-existing ideological militia that are given the time of day that they clearly do not deserve.

In fairness, when you're relying on the likes of Laurence Fox that's not a great sign of the level of quality discussion you're offering. He was effectively a joke candidate in the London Mayoral elections. Or some random aristocrat defending Prince Andrew... Like if that's the kind of balance that was lacking, that's not saying a lot..

In fairness, when you're relying on the likes of Laurence Fox that's not a great sign of the level of quality discussion you're offering. He was effectively a joke candidate in the London Mayoral elections. Or some random aristocrat defending Prince Andrew... Like if that's the kind of balance that was lacking, that's not saying a lot..

I immensely dislike Laurence Fox.

His presence on any channel, at any time, for any reason, is an interminable source of contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

They are gonna be broke soon.

Not great capitalists for all their right wing talk.

I present evidence, then you alter the goalposts about the definition of "proof".

What is the standard of "proof" you are using?

Having watched Farage on each Question Time appearance, it is almost always a pro-EU panel versus Farage. Don't take my word for it, watch each of these episodes for yourself to acquire the "proof" that you are so eagerly thirsty to imbibe.

You've presented nothing but a carefully edited clip from some random Youtube channel. A claim this absurd needs much better evidence than that. Question Time has had no end of Leave supporters over the years so that's clearly another myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Working from home today, just switched it on. Twelve o'clock midday for any news channel would mean fifteen to thirty minutes of news right?

So two presenters sitting there talking but absolutely no sound for the first twenty seconds. The sound coming through now sounds.like they are in an empty house, they are talking very slowly (so thier core audience understands?)

So far no actual news and the presenters don't seem to know what's coming up next.

An absolute joke of a channel :pac:

You've presented nothing but a carefully edited clip from some random Youtube channel. A claim this absurd needs much better evidence than that. Question Time has had no end of Leave supporters over the years so that's clearly another myth.

You are the person holding the myths.

The idea that Farage and the pro-Leave side of the argument was 50:50 on each Question Time episode is laughable to anyone who has watched the show for the past decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Your a gas ticket!!!

What do you expect, a well researched peer reviewed study?

We all remember well how Brexiteers were presented to us, we were led to believe they were all racist, xenophobes, illiterate yobs....there is a poster in this very thread who has articulated this view over and over.

That was carefully crafted by media companies who only interviewed the type of person they wanted us to associate with the Brexiteers.

Media bias isn't always blatant, it is more often subtle...

I got some shock when they voted to leave the EU, I got some shock when I met people from Britain who voted to leave...but I was spectacularly misinformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Can anyone imagine a new media organisation with a leftwing liberal slant being set up and conservative people lobbying companies not to advertise with them? I can only attribute such a campaign to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Absolutely. I watched question time quite a lot during the brexit debates and there was always a wide range of opinions. Some nights There were hardly any on the panel I agreed with. (not necessarily a bad thing it was a UK programme) There was plenty of balance.

The big drivers of news and opinion in the UK over the years have been the tabloid press and the lies they have told over the years especially EU related are scandalous. Gutter journalism for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The point is that the thread was started by a supporter/viewer of the channel telling everyone how happy they were and how great it was going to be.

People responded saying that they weren't likely to be fans and now that it's live have also responded with feedback on the thus far, fairly poor quality of the offering.

The "Pro GB News" folks are now upset and offended by this just like they are upset and offended by BBC , Channel 4, RTE etc. etc. etc.

If you don't want to hear peoples feedback about something you think is great , maybe don't go looking for it??

More spin.

When did I say how great the channel was going to be ?
    Go back and read the opening post.
    Interesting development this, there had been rumours for the last few months.

Andrew Neil has left the BBC to launch a 24-hour news channel to rival BBC and Sky.
    GB News will launch early next year – under the chairmanship of Andrew Neil, who will be its flagship presenter.
    GB News is aimed at the vast number of British people who feel underserved and unheard by their media.

Its being backed by Discovery and Rupert Murdoch .

https://deadline.com/2020/09/gb-news...il-1234585344/

This should be a welcome addition to counter the far left /woke media so prevalent now.

This was then swiftly followed by the immediate invasion of the naysayers on the thread with their usual disengenuousness trying to inflame people who might have any interest in the channel.

Its becoming tiring at this stage, I've just put most of these people on the ignore list, I've no interest in dealing with people consistently posting in bad faith.

You are the person holding the myths.

The idea that Farage and the pro-Leave side of the argument was 50:50 on each Question Time episode is laughable to anyone who has watched the show for the past decade.

Still nothing. Maybe best I leave it there.
    Your a gas ticket!!!

What do you expect, a well researched peer reviewed study?

We all remember well how Brexiteers were presented to us, we were led to believe they were all racist, xenophobes, illiterate yobs....there is a poster in this very thread who has articulated this view over and over.

That was carefully crafted by media companies who only interviewed the type of person they wanted us to associate with the Brexiteers.

Media bias isn't always blatant, it is more often subtle...

I got some shock when they voted to leave the EU, I got some shock when I met people from Britain who voted to leave...but I was spectacularly misinformed.

Well, when a narrative is presented in good faith I don't usually ask for proof that often but when it's some variant of rightwingers pretending to be victims then that needs serious backing up IMO as it's the most absurd bad faith narrative currently doing the rounds.

I'd say if I asked for proof that Brexit voters were presented as illiterate, you'd at best respond with a cherrypicked tweet which would of course just prove my point.

As an aside, where are you getting the illiterate thing from? Is it not enough to throw the same old trope out or did you fancy adding something new?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

They spend pretty much the entire day asking their guests what they think of ‘woke culture’. Wooooah so insightful you rebellious bastards.

I’d bet both my bollocks that they and everyone here that uses it doesn’t actually know what it means. It’s just a buzzword that’s thrown around by conservatives to dismiss other opinions.

And they have the audacity to moan about free speech.

Same dopes banging on about those boycotting advertisers. So what? People don’t want to use brands associated with GB News. Are they not entitled to that freedom?

I personally wouldn’t boycott a brand that is associated with GB News but at the same time I couldn’t care less if anyone else did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I do recall that a few right wing talking heads in the US try every once in a while to organise boycotts of what they claim are woke movies/tv shows. I think they attribute the poor performance of the star wars Solo movie to rhis. I think boycotts happen on both sides of the politicial spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Can anyone imagine a new media organisation with a leftwing liberal slant being set up and conservative people lobbying companies not to advertise with them? I can only attribute such a campaign to fear.

It's not fear. There is a significant culture of control and conformity in the modern Left.

Personally I don't wish this news channel wellm but the people harping on about it are political Cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

silverharp wrote: »
    except now you can call white people "gammon" which I assume pale skin=pig kind of reference, use any derogatory slur you want so long as its about men, and if you dont live in a shoe box in a big city with a cubical job you are an oik
    #Peace&love #bekind

I think that's a ukism thats been around an age. If you are offended on behalf of those UK folks then your entitled to be offended.

Maybe your looking for names on twitter to be offended about ? Perhaps ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's not fear. There is a significant culture of control and conformity in the modern Left. There is a religious certainty in them.

Personally I don't wish this news channel wellm but the people harping on about it are political Cancer.

The screaming Priest of the 50s is in a new form.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement