Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,555 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Outrage" is another word the GBeebies STILL dont understand

• Registered Users Posts: 25,863 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Most of the outrage surrounded people with nothing to do with GBnews.

Like Marcus Rashford and Owen Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Are GBN offering good money? Slightly surprised to see him and Darren McCaffrey on the channel.....seems like they can match Sky News and Euronews at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's very revealing.

It's not revealing of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Further on in that tweet Guido provides this link to the source of the data https://barb.co.uk/about-us/how-to-subscribe/

I guess it's a paid service to provide the exact data comparisons one is looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think they're going a bit OTT on this tokenism thing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If they were "facts" there'd be a source.

Where are those numbers from ???

The last time Guido Fawkes blew his trumpet about GB News the figures he published had no correlation with any information published by any of the recognised TV viewing groups.

Also - Once again you display a tenuous at best grasp of mathematics.

No - a "snapshot" and an average are NOT the same thing, at all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There's no "outrage" - There's plenty of bemusement though.

Bemusement at your rabid, blind adulation of a channel that it objectively struggling.

Bemusement at your ability to deflect and defend anyone and anything associated with GB News.

Take for example your latest defence of a Farage guest - When it was pointed out that Erik Prince has a pretty terrible history with direct involvement in War Crimes your response was "I don't know much about him , but I'm sure that stuff isn't true". Something that 5 seconds on Google would provide all the information you need..

It's the blind loyalty we all can't understand, beyond that most of us really couldn't care less about GB News.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

"GB News also has an enormous number of black presenters"

Could you provide that "enormous number" please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,555 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Dehumanisation of GB News presenters, often comparing them to vermin. That's your definition of "bemusement"?
    • Righteous indignation expressed at the presence of almost all Talking Pints guests. That's your definition of "bemusement"?
    • The incessant pushing of the view that many GB News guests should be cancelled, or their cancellation has been justified. That's your definition of "bemusement"?
    • The regular comments that GB News viewers are somehow too stupid to see how bad the channel is. That's your definition of "bemusement"?
    • The lengthy screeds we see published about Conservatism itself, peppered with expressions of contempt. That's your definition of "bemusement"?

None of this is bemusement; it's sheer loathing of the mere existence of the channel, for the temerity of being a right-leaning channel.

The reason that outrage or loathing or contempt isn't agreed with isn't because of "bemusement", it's because it would be considered a sign of weakness to admit being outraged by something you don't actually watch. It also falls into the stereotype that left-leaning types are prone to fits of outrage and moral indignation.

So rather than admit outrage, just pivot to, "Well, we're all just here for the humour, really...hmm...yeah!".

A cursory glance at any of the last 240+ pages does not show "bemusement". Don't take my word for it, go and check. It shows anger, contempt, loathing, hatred - and every other synonym of every other word associated with any of these.

Go to Twitter or other social media platforms and you see precisely the same thing. The levels of outrage, anger, and abuse that GB News presenters receive is extraordinary. Of course, that's probably just a little of the auld bemusement, right?

Not so. It's consistent no matter where you go - here or there.

@Quin_Dub this question has already been answered: re: Media Guido's reference for GB News recent successful viewing figures.

Honestly, I've seen barely any mention of GBN on social media since it launched... It's largely been ignored even when they try to generate controversy.

You do realize that the whole time you were banned (with the tiny exception of the time Anne Widdecombe who sounds a lot like you graced us) this thread was dead. Practically nobody once you were gone was on here screaming and crying about presenters or cancelling anyone.

We are just getting a laugh off you. I actually don't care about the station itself at this stage as it has proven to be a niche channel converting nobody but the already converted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can you provide quotes instead of expecting other people to research your arguments for you?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I most certainly can. Here are some of hundreds of possible examples throughout this thread alone.

Exactly what I've argued above. It isn't about "bemusement" of GB News.

It's about moral indignation, loathing of the mere existence of the channel for the crime of being right-wing, dehumanisation of presenters, conservative bashing, and - yes - outrage.

Humour? Give me a break...

I think dehumanisation is another one of these words he just learned and doesn't understand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

You just don't get it. This thread has long since stopped being about GB News, it's all about you. People tune into this thread to take the piss out of the nonsense you post. I've stopped posting here because it began to feel like mocking the afflicted...and the fact that I couldn't care less about GB News.

So....

• Dehumanisation of GB News presenters, often comparing them to vermin. That's your definition of "bemusement"?
    • Righteous indignation expressed at the presence of almost all Talking Pints guests. That's your definition of "bemusement"?
    • The incessant pushing of the view that many GB News guests should be cancelled, or their cancellation has been justified. That's your definition of "bemusement"?
    • The regular comments that GB News viewers are somehow too stupid to see how bad the channel is. That's your definition of "bemusement"?
    • The lengthy screeds we see published about Conservatism itself, peppered with expressions of contempt. That's your definition of "bemusement"?

I haven't dehumanised anyone though you call leftwingers "creatures". I haven't compared anyone to vermin. I have no issue using vitriolic language about some GB News presenters. I have not once called for or supported the cancellation of GB News. I have not called GB News' viewers stupid.

Conservatism in its current form is a vile ideology based on hatred, oppression and venality. I see no problem in calling that out but nice attempt at changing the goalposts.

As usual you have nothing except accusations directed at others of things of which you are guilty. As before, if you can back up your own argument with quotes, do so. All I see here is meaningless wailing based on your victimhood fantasies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No people dont tune in to take the piss.

They tune in to spew bile, vent anger and to put it politely try to shut posters of a differing opinion down.

This thread is all about the absurdity of one poster, without him it would of faded away months ago. Like it did when he was on his "break" from the site.

Not really, posters have repeatedly responded to Eskimos posts with reasonable responses. Yes, they have been honest on their feelings on Farage for example but that's a pretty mainstream view on Farage cause he is hateful. Meanwhile Eskimo chooses to misrepresent and has even accused posters of slander in an effort to shut them down. He's even gone off and likened charitable footballers to paedophiles which is ironic given the fact that he's accused others of slander.

It's a bit like trying to debate a COVID denier. They'll rarely address the responses. Eg Eskimo can't directly point to Guido's primary source but has assumed it's accurate as it supports his view. He will claim their viewing figures are increasing but also can't back that. The fact that Guido chose to compare bbc news rather than bbc1, once again, nobody will address that fact. It's like you're trying to build a narrative that doesn't reflect the reality.

I would also say that Eskimo is very much so keeping this thread going via outlandish claims... It's always an amusing read.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If the thread fades away then the perpetually outraged will find another outlet to spew their bile in.

Its a never ending cycle.

Outrage and bile spewing is just dripping from your own post history. You seem to be as lacking in self-awareness as eskimohunt is.

It's pretty factual. Modern day conservatism includes preventing people from voting, trying to limit the rights of multiple groups and in the case of the UK engaging in the delusion of empire being some wonderful part of their history. Then you've got more blatantly horrifying examples such as the desire to exit the court of human rights... So far from a conspiracy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The fact that EH thinks that a screenshot of a number a RW grifter is relying upon to present a point is a source?

Only highlights what is at its very best outright dishonesty, at its worst?

It's a sign that they don't actually have a clue what a source is, what evidence is or how to source actual numbers rather than parrot others claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I thought being a moderator of boards.ie would have to be somebody with moderate beliefs and be able to see both sides of the argument, clearly that's not the case any more with boards.ie. It's a shame really what has become of the site.

Didn't change their selective use of said metrics and ignoring all the other data provided by BARB that shows a channel in continuous decline. Individual temporary upward blips on an overall downward trajectory aren't evidence of a resurgence.

The term often used for these little bumps is "Dead cat bounce"

• Advertisement

Do you think gbn and Nigel Farage are moderate? Capaill's point might not hold for all conservative parties but it does for the US and UK... Also fyi there's been loads of mods over the years with far right and left wing views and they've expressed them on site. Would be a bit weird to base mods based on their political position...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement