Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

When you're at the extreme end of the spectrum, infighting is inevitable.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

You'd find it tough to find a channel that hasn't experienced the same issue at some point. It's not unique to GB News.

All publicity is good publicity, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

YOutue snapshot - 801 people watching currently. Publicity not making that much of a difference.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

27 minutes later, it's now almost 4,000 (also, you chose 801 from one of the streams, and forgot to include the main one in the total figure, which is a sleight-of-hand you've performed before). According to YouTube, Dewbs and Co (between 6-7pm) had at least 4,100 viewers.

On Talking Pints tonight, it's The Telegraph's Defence and Foreign Affairs editor, Con Coughlin.

I only claimed YouTube. Says it my post. First word.

• Advertisement

Nice to see GB News catching the hypocritical, moralising stations out on their behaviour.

Then - are you counting views as well as currently watching?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Pathetic. More than happy to turn a blind eye when it's the Tories.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

No, during live shows - there are two live streams: the GB News Live stream and the program-specific stream. I'm not counting views after the program ends, no. Not at all.

• Advertisement

Ah ok. In that case, not really "sleight of hand" to be fair - just random timing. But it is a bit of a coincidence you claimed 4100 watching just before Farage's show when it finished with 4500 total viewers not long after...

Current snapshot - 995 viewers (416 "to the point" plus 579 main channgel)

Still not great after six months on air.

GB News trying to break into radio, it seems.

It demonstrates what I've been saying for a long time now. GB News are playing the long game because you could never make a substantial profit in the short-term in a venture like this. They're thinking 3-5 years down the line when they hope to establish a solid base / reputation / reach / brand throughout the United Kingdom.

GB News Radio commences test transmissions

Test transmissions have begun for GB News Radio, a simulcast of the right-leaning talk station.

GB News Radio is broadcasting with a relatively low bandwidth of 24kbps in the DAB+ band.

It’s available in the Digital One multiplex, which has coverage of approximately 90% of the UK population.

GB News has recently signed broadcaster Eamonn Holmes to present its breakfast show from the New Year. Holmes has previously presented for the BBC, ITV and Sky News.

It depends how you interpret the figures.

If we were talking about 4 months ago, the average at any one time during the day was 200-300; now it's around 600-1,000, depending on the show - or up to 4,000+ from 7pm onwards (when previously it was around 1,500 around July-August).

Taken from that perspective, and the fact that YouTube views are averaging around 1 million per day, we can consider a different picture.

Of course, you can make all sorts of comparisons to make GB News look dreadful. Even if they had 10x these numbers, you could still find a comparison to make it look poor.

Speaking of Farage, it seems that the migrant crisis will feature heavily on tonight's show (see below). Last night on Farage, Mark White said that a report would be made on the subject, as weather conditions are almost perfect today compared to previous days. That report and his analysis into it should be released shortly after 7pm tonight.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As many people seem to be pointing out in the twitter responses to Farages tweet - The act of crossing the channel does not make them "Illegals".

They are committing NO crime by crossing the channel.

But I guess "Asylum seekers cross channel to make a 100% legal request for asylum" doesn't really get the xenophobic juices flowing.

Platforms like Twitter don't exist to foster nuanced, critical debate. They exist to get clicks and this is what Farage is doing with this deadest of horses. Slight inconveniences such as basic facts don't matter.

I interpret them as not being the great success people were predicting several months ago in order to distract from the dismal viewing figures.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Peoples Twitter behaviour doesn't alter the fact that they are NOT illegal and Farage calling them that is both wrong and deliberately inflammatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

"deliberately inflammatory" is Farages M.O. Without that he has nothing.

The gypsy businessman, Alfie Best, is appearing on Talking Pints tonight.

He has also donated to the Conservative Party in recent years, demonstrating that even if you were brought up in a caravan like he was, that you can make something of yourself in life support the Conservative Party.

I'm not claiming it does. It's like pointing out why Brexit is the stupidest thing this country has done since Suez. Correct but ultimately missing the point.

• Advertisement

A series of technical issues continues to plague GB News.

Apparently, the channel "was plagued with technical issues on Sunday morning with viewers complaining the network was down for nearly three hours".

A looped display of recent interviews was used to cover the 3-hour period.

This kind of thing really shouldn't be happening 6-months after launch!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I had GB news on for a good few hours and tbh I don't see how it is called right leaning. Would anyone call Sky News left leaning as a descriptor for their channel?

We need a right wing news channel over here tbh. Any left wing legislation is brought in without any negative viewpoints. Look at the announcement of driving licences for asylum seekers. No questions about if they are going to have to take lessons, who is going to pay for them etc. Same thing with the "undocumented" (illegal immigrants) being granted amnesty to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If you want a peerage ...or a fat government contract with no competition it would make sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No nobody in their right mind would call Sky left wing. Its always been right wing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What? The Rupert Murdoch founded Sky News is Left Wing? Are you for real?

A right wing news channel where, in Ireland? Do you think Niall Boylan's audience would be enough to fund a whole entire news channel? Or maybe if the bench mark is Youtube videos then maybe all that is needed is a mobile and a phone account with decent broadband access so as to stream live in which case, maybe the success of Gemma O'Doherty would give any backers cause for thought.

No one cares. Well not enough people, anyway judging by the viewership these policies pulls in.

If people did care for said policies, there'd be a party with a political presence and media coverage to promote then, but there isn't because they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I was under the impression that they can apply for a licence. Why is this 'left wing legislation'?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There were no questions on that issue as there was nothing to ask.

Yes, they'll need lessons, and everything else. Unless they have an exchangeable licence (EEA, UK, limited list of other countries and Canadian provinces) which the people taking the court case did - nobody with an exchangeable licence needs to take lessons.

They'll have to pay for them themselves.

Nothing changed here, all that changed was the ability to apply for a licence if otherwise qualified to do so.

A media organisation asking questions on this would end up looking very stupid.

And Sky News it not and never has been left-leaning. It was founded as a TV outlet for Murdoch's right wing news setup. He doesn't own it anymore, so it has ever so vaguely moderated but Comcast are not left-wing either.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Back on topic, which is not asylum seekers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

I'm a Brit and to be brutally honest I hate the BBC for its biased one side propaganda.

If GB News presents both side of arguments it has to be a good thing....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement