Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

You missed out calling them remoaners tbh..

Labour were pro brexit, were they not? :confused:

Why you mentioning the phrase "remoaners" to try and prove some point.

Anyway it doesn't matter, the British people wanted out and they are out. Democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Yes, they are heavily biased in favor of the left-wing woke agenda.

Things you will never see on RTE News:

-- A feature on academic under-performance among boys and young men, in an era when girls and women do better at every level, earn significantly higher exam results and earn the majority of third-level degrees. (Prevailing narrative: white males don't need help, but we need to support girls and women to achieve high-earning careers.)
    .)

HahahaHahahaha this is Ireland ffs and you're on about "white" males being victims what the absolute f. Why even mention white? The last census Asian 2.1%, black 1.4%.

Mother of God someone has been listening to too many loons from America/UK. That's the best laugh I've had in ages hahahahaha. Funny you mentioned white when portraying the supposed victims(men) but don't when mentioning those who are apparently benefiting(women) even though pretty much everyone is white. The last census Asian 2.1%, black 1.4%.

I ask myself. Can someone really be Irish if they come out with all that shiite? The only alternative is someone who has lived their entire life online , barely leaves the house, gets rejected constantly by woman so takes solace in listening to crap from USA/UK that makes their sensitive souls feel better about themselves and lays blame to all their many issues on them being white instead of looking at themselves. The level of victimhood is unreal haha.

I've never felt victimised or at a disadvantage for being a white Irish man in Ireland. I can't believe I even had to type that sentence but this is the level of madness we're dealing with now. Cop on.

The remainers haven't had to get themselves new safe spaces like Parler and GB News. The Guardian, BBC and Labour stopped reporting on it a long time ago beyond stuff like trade deals and such.

Safe spaces? A real left wing invention to "protect" people from options they don't agree with.

Who is on parler, practically no one, if it even exists anymore? GB news is a news channel, why are you so frightened of someone having an opinion that doesn't agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It's the remainers and their supporters who won't let it go. The Guardian, BBC and Labour party still ranting about it years later.

The Brexit vote is done and dusted.
    The process of Brexit, i.e the UK leaving the EU and setting up alternative trade deals with the EU and others, whilst preserving the gains made as a result of the good friday agreement, are far from over.

Brexiteers claims before the vote, that trade deals would be easy, Northern Ireland would not be a problem have proven to be plain wrong. That is not a matter of opinion, time has proven them to be wrong.
    Trade deals are not easy. Northern Ireland is a serious ongoing issue.

I can accept no one knows for definite how things will turn out but I would like people to stand over their arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Can anyone imagine a new media organisation with a leftwing liberal slant being set up and conservative people lobbying companies not to advertise with them? I can only attribute such a campaign to fear.
    I can easily imagine that, just as conservatives lobbied for boycotts of NFL and then Nike after Kaepernick (and filmed themselves buring their own Nike shoes), lobbied for a boycott of Keurig after they stopped advertising on the Sean Hannity show (and filmed themselves destroying their own Keurig coffee machines), and many other examples.

Conservatives have no issues whatsoever lobbying against companies that do things they don't like - why do you think it would be any different with a news organisation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hadron Collider

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Why even mention white?

Because there's significant concern that non-white and immigrant males get a fair shot at a good education. RTE ran the linked article last month. There's much less concern about the native-born male population.
    I've never felt victimised or at a disadvantage for being a white Irish man in Ireland.

Good for you. It may interest you to know that 42 percent of Irish men aged 25 to 34 have third-level qualifications, but 55 percent of comparably aged women do. Girls now outperform boys in every single Leaving Cert subject, gain the majority of places in university courses (including courses such as law and medicine), and will hold the majority of high-paying jobs in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Actually, something has just dawned on me. The people defending this sh1tshow of a station are purely doing so, from what I can see, out of blind loyalty to the 'brand' of right wing politics/conservatism.

They don't care what it's like or how good it actually is, it's on their side and representing a view which is, in their mind, criminally under-represented in the mainstream.

Which is all fine, you can defend that point all you wish. But you must accept, it removes any right for you to ever complain about niche minorities calling for inclusion in all walks of life, ever again.

Conservative fans of this station are the equivalent of the lefties who were fans of the Ghostbusters remake. Clappy little sealions, delighted to see something to which they can relate, but who are too close to recognise it for the piece of rubbish it actually is. Yeah, it's a nice idea but if the content isn't good enough then it will be relegated to the realm of obscurity quicker than you can say "there is no Dana, only Zuul".

Yes i think that's valid. But supporting one's "team" above all else and ignoring the shades of grey is not a phenomenon unique to conservatives in this post-truth era.

This is all just sport for bespectacled uncoordinated dickheads. *adjusts glasses*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

This is all just sport for bespectacled uncoordinated dickheads. *adjusts glasses*

*pushes glasses back up nose* :pac:

Morgans wrote: »
    Sorry, you missed my earlier question regarding your post.

Oops :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

Because there's significant concern that non-white and immigrant males get a fair shot at a good education. RTE ran the linked article last month. There's much less concern about the native-born male population.

Good for you. It may interest you to know that 42 percent of Irish men aged 25 to 34 have third-level qualifications, but 55 percent of comparably aged women do. Girls now outperform boys in every single Leaving Cert subject, gain the majority of places in university courses (including courses such as law and medicine), and will hold the majority of high-paying jobs in the future.

Sorry, you missed my earlier question regarding your post on the neccessary RTE documentaries.

can you tell me the name of one Irish maled-bodied trans athlete currently competing against girls or women

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And what does that have to do with the colour of their skin?

You introduced the "white man" element - Why, when the underlying issues have absolutely nothing to do with skin colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Given your research, have you a timeframe for when women will overtake men in the majority of high-paying jobs?
    I mean 50% of the population taking 55% of university courses is a terrifying thought- perhaps we should bring back the Marriage Ban to level the playing pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This would suggest that native-born males do not get a good shot at education, are they not afforded the same opportunity as others in this respect but just choose not to pursue it?

Would like to see more on this data, one thing that I think could account for the skew is the number of males who still pursue trades careers which still give them a form of qualification and the opportunity to earn well. Do you know was this factored in as part of the group of males having qualifications, or was it excluded?

Eitherway, I've alluded to this on several threads where frequent contributors are having a go at women doing any sort of advocating. If you think males are being left behind, start advocating for that to be better understood so as to identify ways to overcome it.

Yes i think that's valid. But supporting one's "team" above all else and ignoring the shades of grey is not a phenomenon unique to conservatives in this post-truth era.

Well in fairness it's a channel aimed at dickheads and those with a very poor grasp on reality, so their output so far is pretty much on target.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Well in fairness it's a channel aimed at dickheads and those with a very poor grasp on reality, so their output so far is pretty much on target.
    Thats the spirit

Why you mentioning the phrase "remoaners" to try and prove some point.

Anyway it doesn't matter, the British people wanted out and they are out. Democracy.

Why, because it's almost like you're reading from a script tbh, while conveniently ignoring the fact that labour were pro brexit when you tried to make out like they were anti along with the BBC :confused: and the guardian (who were actually anti brexit)

Indeed it doesn't, democracy wins, brexit means brexit and britannia rules the waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

And what the hell has that got to do with being white or not? Absolutely nothing. Those men and women are almost all white.

Yet you mentioned the men were white when they perceived as being the victims but women weren't mentioned as white when they were portrayed as being the ones benefitting. It just makes absolutely no sense to bring being white or not in to that argument when pretty much everyone is white. Its just nuts. Just looking for victimhood that doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Jesus

Shocking levels of condescension.

Many on the Right of the spectrum would not say the same thing about those who read The Guardian.

Condescension has come to characterize large swathes of the Left; a zealous self-righteous belief in their own moral superiority over those with whom they disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Morgans wrote: »
    Dont know your political views, and not interested. However it is remarkable how many of those who detest cancel culture and claim it is as a threat to democracy are ok to downplay insurrections, minimise corruption in the police force, own multiple papers and media outlets and generally carry the water for the moneyed interests. None of these issues are seen as a threat to democracy in any way. Obviously, if you have expressed these fears on boards previously, Id stand corrected.

Repeatedly and consistently. I have a long history on Boards of decrying, in order, police corruption (I'm currently railing against the new laws allowing access to personal devices on foot of police self-signed search warrants), media monopolies (I was one of the people who called out Boards' cowardice for going along with the Denis O'Brien media blackout after Catherine Martin outed his cosy relationship with Anglo), moneyed interests in politics (too many instances to count). All of these are threats to democracy. I didn't personally comment on the insurrection in the US this past January because honestly at this point I have almost entirely switched off to US politics, the country is more or less a failed state at this point and the energy required to debate it doesn't seem worthwhile when there's work to be done on politics at home.
    Cancel culture came from a long and painful recognition, that all media outlets ultimately are self-interested and not nearly as concerned with the open discourse, service to democracy that you pretend or idealise them as being. i find the claims of love of pure democracy (are we going back to ancient greece here) and the democratic process as disingenuous. The only way those whose voice was ignored could be heard was in group action. Cancel culture is a resistance to authoritarians having seen the 'democratic' system ignore them historically.

Bullsh!t. Cancel culture is an authoritarian phenomenon which seeks to close the Overton Window in terms of socially and politically acceptable views, and deny those holding views outside this window the ability to freely air them or advocate for them.

Cancel culture is an absolute stain on modern democracy. If you think it applies only to authoritarians, you're honestly having a laugh. It applies to anyone who doesn't buy into modern identity politics 100%, and is applied ruthlessly to anyone who digresses from the zeitgeist.

Let me give you an example. I was one of Boards' most vehement campaigners in favour of repealing the eighth amendment. You can search my posting history if you'd like proof of this. I've believed in abortion rights since I was a teenager.

I also vehemently opposed a campaign against a hotel - the Gresham, I believe - which sought to bully the hotel into denying the anti-Repeal crowd the use of a function room for holding a public meeting, by threatening a social media blitz and boycott campaign.

Why? Because I believe in democracy. I believe that Repeal was the right thing to do. Others believed that it wasn't. And I personally had no interest in winning that ideological battle by disrupting or preventing the opposing side from getting their message out.

I prefer to allow people to hear my views, hear the views of those who disagree with me, and make up their own minds. Anyone who doesn't, in my view, is anti-democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Would like to see more on this data, one thing that I think could account for the skew is the number of males who still pursue trades careers which still give them a form of qualification and the opportunity to earn well. Do you know was this factored in as part of the group of males having qualifications, or was it excluded?

I read an article on the Irish Times that put some of the difference down to lads leaving school to work in construction during the boom.

I wonder if those figures are available for < 25 year olds.

Also, in the decade 2007 to 2016 the % of males with a third level degree increased 25% from 34% to 43% while for females it increased from 48% to 55%, a 16% increase. So the gap is closing.

joe40 wrote: »
    For me the problem isn't right wing in the traditional sense, it will be all the identity politics that will go with it. They'll be sceptical about climate change, critical about green policies as a point of principal, I would guess critical of covid restrictions, anti EU, etc.

And when the entire rest of the media establishment is in favour of these things, it's a good and healthy thing to have a counterpoint against them. Media unanimity in ideology is horrifically dangerous.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Why don't you pitch these ideas to RTE? I'd watch the second doc, no interest in the other 2 though.

RTE were caught colluding with a privately funded lobby group to write and air segments on COVID-19 through the Claire Byrne show. This is the kind of bias which leads people, even leftists like myself, to believe that there should always, always be an alternative to the dominant zeitgeist narrative. That's why I, as a leftist, support the existence of a right wing mouthpiece in a world in which most of the mass media is a mouthpiece for my own side of the political divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

And when the entire rest of the media establishment is in favour of these things, it's a good and healthy thing to have a counterpoint against them. Media unanimity in ideology is horrifically dangerous.

You'd imagine a country like ours, would readily accept that, given the decades of Political corruption and systematic cover ups of Child abuse by our domineering Clergy that were both kept out of view to the public by ALL media outlets in this country...

To our great shame, we required UK based TV Stations to expose both of the above to the general public...

But it's like we never learn, as this country enters into an era of huge change, it is indeed horrifically dangerous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

eskimohunt wrote: »

Many on the Right of the spectrum would not say the same thing about those who read The Guardian.

Condescension has come to characterize large swathes of the Left; a zealous self-righteous belief in their own moral superiority over those with whom they disagree.

Hold off with the sanctimony.

Andrew Neil (who leads this channel and who is on the right) publicly denigrated Carole Cadwalladr (sometimes of the Guardian) and called her a 'crazy cat lady' to his thousands of Twitter folllowers. The same Carole who did more than any other journalist to uncover the shady goings on between unelected people advocating for Brexit and who ultimately ended up in position to sway British Government policy.

When was the last time Andrew was involved in a genuinely worthwhile piece of journalistic work like that?

silverharp wrote: »
    Centre left people should have the courage to call out the idiots on their side. Bill Maher for example in the US seems to do a good job of showing that his brain isnt just a conduit for the lulas he must be coming across every day

I'm as far left as one can get and I've been railing against advocated of PC culture and identity politics for almost ten years. I just with there were more prominent voices on my side of the aisle willing to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

eskimohunt wrote: »

The state of your arguments.

You'd imagine a country like ours, would readily accept that, given the decades of Political corruption and systematic cover ups of Child abuse by our domineering Clergy that were both kept out of view to the public by ALL media outlets in this country...

To our great shame, we required UK based TV Stations to expose both of the above to the general public...

But it's like we never learn, as this country enters into an era of huge change, it is indeed horrifically dangerous!!

This is what I've been saying since the outbreak of the culture war in the 2010s. The left, which spent the 2000s advocating for unfettered free speech, has become every bit as bad as the conservatives they spent so long opposing.

They think it's different because of which content they're trying to censor. So we've shifted from "it's wrong to censor people's views", to "it's ok to censor peoples' views as long as those views are wrong". And that is a f*cking travesty about which I will always be deeply angry and dismayed.

They're as sanctimonious and authoritarian as any Catholich archbishop. They just believe that it's ok to be authoritarian about some things because the end justifies the means. Which it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

They are gonna be broke soon.

Not great capitalists for all their right wing talk.

I bet it won't be their fault though, it will be the BBC or the woke companies who refuse to buy advertising...

• Advertisement

They are gonna be broke soon.

Not great capitalists for all their right wing talk.

Not great for leftist socialists who believe that the media should represent everyone either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement