Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Times, Sky, Sun, Mail, Standard, Financial Times even the BBC is neutral and sometimes right when it comes to politics and world news but you I suppose automatically wrote them off as far left because the showed support for some gay or black people

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I struggle to comprehend the amount of mental gymnastics required to think his "intentions and ethics must be called into question."

It amazes me how absolutely terrified some are of a wealthy person spending some of his time and money improving the life of children. It's like the whole concept of decency is totally alien to them, they can't get their head around it.

I don't think Nigel Farage will ever have to worry about his motives for helping the less fortunate feed themselves, this would require him displaying a level of empathy with other people that is beyond him and his ilk.

Its not about "a wealthy person" gving to charity because they would be falling over Dyson, Ratcliffe and Branson if they held some benefit gala for the poor. Rashford done it without their permission and showed them up while doing it and denying them positive photo ops in the process.

He is also working class and "we cant be having people getting above their station now can we"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

If you already expect people to write them off than it's possible that you are the one with a bias for difference of opinion.

I dont mind The Sun for example but I wouldn't touch BBC with a stick anymore.

Why do you not like the BBC any more and what about them do you feel is left wing ?

And do you believe the sun to be left wing or right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You don't like the BBC, But you don't mind a rag like the sun, a newspaper that has been caught lying time and time again to sell papers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

I see some are referring to it as "GBeebies"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

To put it simply, Conservatism is about one thing and one thing only. Privilege. It exists solely for the purpose of defending and promoting the interests of the elite. 

Conservatives tend to view people as good or bad while Liberals or left leaning non-conservaties tend to judge people by their actions. In the US, Republicans lost their sh*t over Bill Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky but then they had dismissed him as being "bad" because he was a Democrat. Today, they've turned themselves into a cult based on an adultuerous failed businessman. Clinton was an opponent, so he was bad. Trump is one of them so what does it matter if he uses the services of prostitutes or dodges paying taxes. Wealthy people shouldn't even have to pay taxes anyway according to some.

The one thing conservatives cannot abide above anything else is questioning hierarchy and this is the essential thesis of liberalism. They turned on Bill Gates because his excessive philanthropy is anathema to them. If poor people didn't deserve their poverty, they wouldn't be poor. Capitalism is God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor. Something something bootstraps, etc etc... They're on top so the system must be working just fine.

Someone like Marcus Rashford is a walking contradiction to this fallacious and self-centred ideology. A man from a poor background who asks questions about hierarchy while amassing a sizeable fortune for himself and acting to improve the lives of others. They see people like him as threats not just because he refutes their excuses for hoarding wealth and power but also because they know that they have no ideas or reasons to maintain a voting base. It's all about the grubby hoarding of power, wealth and influence and nothing higher than that.

Working class conservative voters enjoy having someone else to look down upon so the media caters to this by demonising immigrants, welfare recipients, people from the BAME community, BLM, LGBT people, etc. Of course, people from these backgrounds with the "right" beliefs in hierarchy can be recruited to add legitimacy which is why you see people like Priti Patel in senior positions.

Conservatism is a dead ideology. Religion isn't there to prop it up the way it was and, here in the UK, Brexit and the ageing population aren't going to be enough to sustain it for all that much longer. The Tories aren't going anywhere but there's no real reason for anyone outside the circle to join the party either. Today's Extinction Rebellion and BLM activists aren't tomorrow's Conservative voter base the same way that our parents' environmentally minded contemporaries were. Young people expect to live with a lower quality of life than their parents for the first time in modern history, so they don't really care for the social contract or the protection of others' privilege that this has been warped into by the right.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Nigel Farage is all over GB News now.

His show at 7pm last night. Then starred in Dan Wootton's show after 9pm.

This morning, Farage braved out into the English Channel to find illegal migrants crossing the sea - shining a much needed light on the criminal trafficking trade that the French are failing to manage. This is the kind of journalism you simply don't find on legacy broadcast channels.

And he's back at 7pm tonight, too!

I can only assume that Farage is proving to be the draw that others believed would have failed.

Since his first show, almost 10,000 new subscribers on their YouTube channel too.

His inaugural show has over 110,000 views on YouTube.

Things are moving in the right direction, after what was for sure a bumpy start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭rightmove

Most of this is pure conjecture and nonsense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why not provide an actual argument setting out why instead of the snarky comment?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gentlemanne

I bet even the people Farage pays to promote him are not nearly as obsequious and fawning as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭rightmove

I would suggest you to go read some books on political philosophy and come back in a few years time

• Advertisement

Rightmove is right.

It is a diatribe of your personal understanding of what you think Conservatism to be. Pure conjecture and riddled with bias.

What you have described as "conservatism" is not the Conservatism that I recognize.

And yet nobody can make an original argument demonstrating otherwise.

Why would anyone waste time formulating an argument against your personal understanding of Conservatism?

Your view is clearly enmeshed in stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its like something you'd read on the Conspiracy Theory forum.

Maybe try and work the Freemasons and New World Order into it too.

Its very strange and worrying that the politics forum moderator should be so biased.

This is a discussion forum. That's what such things are for.

• Advertisement

If you objectively defined Conservatism, then true.

But your post appears more emotive than anything. And with emotions, there is no need to debate. It's a zero-sum game.

I could objectively define the Left in terms that are non-emotive and unbiased. I could even point to the merits of the position.

But you haven't taken such a perspective.

It almost comes across as a religious preacher speaking ex cathedra.

Ah yes the usual block of time consuming posts announcing how replying to someone would be a waste of time.

You could have actually pointed out he was wrong with all the time you took to write those vague replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Vague replies is all they have to fall back on. If you question for detail you get anger and obfuscation. It's something that farage relies on consistently. It's no wonder someone who holds that method of engagement would hold farage in such high esteem to become their personal marketing executive on forums ..

What's so "worrying" about it? Is he not allowed to have his own opinions in threads?

Only right wingers are allowed to "voice their opinion and say the things no one else is brave enough to say"

I think this is, what, the third such response. A rebuttal would be more convincing than the faux-outrage.

You make simple statements about Conservatism that are clearly false.

You make the generalisation that Conservatives view people as either bad or good, and that those on the liberal side adjudge actions only.

Is this for real?

What evidence do you have to back up such a conclusion?

To my knowledge, Conservatives focus on individual responsibility. Second, you could make the very powerful argument that modern liberals, through cancel culture, that does not adjudge someone on their actions - but actively considers them pariahs if they dare utter the wrong word. Take a look at Germaine Greer or J.K. Rowling. They are considered "bad people" merely on the basis of saying the wrong thing (the right things, in my view).

Furthermore, you didn't even differentiate between the different brands of Conservatism. Instead, you've lumped them all together with simplistic generalizations.

What about fiscal conservatism?

What about religious conservatism?

What about social conservatism?

What about cultural conservatism?

You can believe in a brand of the Left yet still believe in fiscal conservatism, too. I am not a social or religious conservative, either. And there are many more examples I could cite.

I could go on, but I've said enough at this stage. Part of the reason I avoided this conversation is because this thread is about GB News.

But I've been asked by many to respond, and respond I have.

Your analysis is biased, weak, and simplistic - argued without evidence, yet replete with zealous certitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well then you should know they are not for soapboxing.

Your 'recruiting' minorities comment was particularly eye-rolling not to mention insulting.

And it is bit rich of you to talk about snarky comments with your plethora of digs on this thread all done in your usual superior haughty tone. Quote "Does he have a harem of professional snowflakes and fatuous morons to support?". You'd think all that higher standard of commentary from the politics forum would rub off on you.

Yours and other's demonizing of your political opponents and their supporters is the default tactic of the Left in recent years, everyone is racist, xenophobic and jingoistic blah blah blah. It's a desperate tactic and it is failing, indeed backfiring.

• Advertisement

Modern conservatives are focused on the culture war and fascism. Individual responsiblity is something for other people according to the modern right.

The hypocrisy of you asking for evidence when you've ignored my request for the same. Honor those and then I'll get you some evidence. Not before.

As for GB News, all it exists to do is to take advantage of the culture war by providing a safe space for right wing types who can't bear criticism as evinced by their stance on the presenter who took the knee. It's a model for Youtube and social media but for some bizarre reason, they went down the TV news route.

Another ad hominem. Ok.

Eskimohunt has been cheerleading for Nigel Farage on an Irish forum for some reason but I'm the one soapboxing? Please, spare me the pretend indignation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The problem is that in a place like the UK or the US with their binary FPTP voting systems you don't get the ability to choose your "flavour" of Conservatism just as you don't really on the Left either (in the UK the Lib-Dems are utterly dysfunctional).

The result is that you get the tail wagging the dog in these parties , particularly on the right as certainly in recent years the Tories and the GOP in the US seem to have really given up actually adhering to any kind of policy platform and simply seek to attain and hold power.

There is a hard core within both of those parties - The "Extra Hard Brexit" types in the Tories and the MAGA crowd in the GOP that have garnered just enough power that (within an already undemocratic voting process) they wield outsized influence on the direction of the party.

The result is that those historic "conservative values" you mention are drowned out and even though a sizeable chunk of the voters would actually prefer to still be that type of conservative all that gets pushed to the front is the noisy, nasty & mean-spirited bile from that extreme fringe.

At Election time I'd submit that a sizeable chunk of the vote for the Tories and the GOP are from those that really don't like the overall direction of their party , but given the strictures of the FPTP system they choose to vote Tory/GOP not because the particularly want to , but because they can't vote for the other side.

See the significant split in Down-ballot GOP voting where clearly lots of GOP voters chose Biden but continued to vote GOP down ballot as evidence of this behaviour in the US.

So - For all the old-school Conservatives out there , are you happy that your parties seem to have been subsumed by these frankly deeply unpleasant fringe elements and if so what are you going to do about it?

In the UK, Labour at least broke the influence of Momentum by replacing Corbin with Starmer and kicking out a few others.

Cameron had his shot at doing something similar but he bottled it and chose a BREXIT vote as his path to clearing out the fringe and screwed that up catastrophically with the choice of wording and the entire campaign to be honest.

Two different questions.

The original post took the axe to conservatives and conservatism generally. It was in that direction I rallied my artillery.

You are bringing up a separate, second question: how the conservative parties in the UK and USA have been taken over by one ideological strand.

I'm happy to answer that question via PM only, as this is a thread about GB News.

Speaking of which, I'll be tuning into Farage again tonight at 7pm. So should you. Should be a good one given his venturing out to the English Channel in the early hours of this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Right, (if I remember) I will tune in tonight at 7 to see what its all about, I am sure there will be some commentary on the NI Protocol news today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Is he going to personally capture a band of up to no good darkies as they attempt to spoil his most blessed United Kingdom with their presence?

Special guest tonight; the father of the Prime Minister, Stanley Johnson, during the Talking Pints feature of the program.

Looking forward to the show tonight, starts in 2 minutes.

For a supposed "man of the people" he sure loves to have multi millionaire guests on, millionaires who screw over ordinary working people who Farage claims he represents.

His first two guests are an immigration lawyer and a former NHS chairman.

Perhaps if "ordinary working people" worked harder, they'd become millionaires too.

• Advertisement

And now he has a millionaire on who screwed people over, same as the millionaire he had on yesterday.

Does he get paid everytime he says brexit? It seems to be every second word out of his mouth.

Tbf your right there,and when saying farage isnt a failed politian

Tbf it is fair arrogance to dismiss 52% (realistically its alot less) of population as lower IQ for simply voting differently

Like the man spent 30 odd years campaigning for something and ate at the tory party vote to extent it faced internal revolt and a referendum was run....the thing he campaigned for 30 odd years won.....

like.i dislike farage and all to my eyes he represents,but objectively speaking,the man has gotten a win here,a failure to acknowledge this is simply blinded by partisanship surely??

Can you point me to my post where I said 52% of the population are of lower I.Q?

You drew a link between Brexit voters and low IQ.

That alone is ghastly and condescending.

• Advertisement

It's not a lie.

In an earlier post, you claimed that Nigel Farage appealed to the lower IQ voters who opted to Brexit.

You are clearly drawing a clear link between Farage, those who opted to Brexit, and lower IQ.

Backtrack at your peril.

My post

"I didnt call him a "right wing facist" you did, I personally think he is an odious little shìt who appeals to the people of England who are in the lower I.Q range."

You then went on to claim I said 52% of the UK are of lower I.Q which is a lie.

I clearly say the people of England (some.not all) not the U.K are of lower I.Q and do not mention 52% of anyone or anything and nowhere do I mention Brexit or people who voted for Brexit.

You chose to twist my words to suit your own agenda even going as far as to attack me by calling me a racist (did you ever look up the meaning of the word?).

You are now a proven liar for all to see.

I mean like the implication is clear as day......why you complain of tactics of right wing,while engaging in a nice bit of gaslighting is pointless

Is what your attempting to bluster through here,any fundamentally difference to the half-truths,lies and bolix farage was selling to people pre-brexit??

I do like the british,i abhor it as an identity and idology,what its flag represents pisses me off,but i dislike bullshit artists and gombeens more

I clearly state English not the whole.if the UK, I don't mention Brexit I don't mention a %.

If I said

"did you see those Neanderthals fighting at the England game last night"

Does that.mean I am tarring all English football supporters as Neanderthals?

Splitting hairs there mate,the implication is obvious to me anyway

(I dont particularly care on brexiteers,arrogance boils me blood though....though a brexit from ireland,i would welcome😅)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement