Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There are at least 3 or 4 posts in the last 2 pages giving details for July. Not sure how you missed them.

The Barb site shows the rolling 4 week average which covers the last week of June and the 1st 3 weeks of July.

The numbers are pretty flat so far , and given that the Farage numbers are in those figures what it would suggest it that outside of the current (short lived in my view) bump that he is providing for a single hour each day, the GB News figures started poorly and have gotten catastrophically worse from there.

Exclude the 100k plus that Farage is bringing for that single hour from the overall averages and there is basically no one watching the channel in real terms

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The farage ratings are for that timeslot against Sky and BBC news's? BBC is just a news bulletin for half an hour, and Sky is Dermot Murnaghan for what 2 hours repeating the same story. It would stand to reason that Farage might get more viewers, but the the BBC news bulletin at 10 is getting 2-3 million a night.

You can pick and choose all the figures you want, but in isolation they mean absolutely nothing.

By you. You're doing 1 timeslot v 2 channels in the same slot and ignoring the wider picture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

For me, it's morbid curiosity. We get told that echo chambers are bad by people slavishly defending the GB News echo chamber. Of all the hills to choose to die on, this expense-laden, vainglorious, trolling Youtube channel seems a poor choice.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

False.

Yesterday, I published a video of the political correspondent / presenter, Tom Harwood, tearing asunder Laurence Fox.

This is the kind of destruction that needed to be unleashed on Fox. Other channels have, in my view, been far too relaxed when interviewing him.

If you missed it, here is the controlled demolition:

I could give many other examples, too, but this is the most recent and most salient example of what I mean.

This couldn't be further from an echo-chamber.

• Advertisement

That's not true though. You're relying a single show as proof of it doing well. Meanwhile anyone besides Farage is not drawing in viewers. Ergo it's not doing well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Even your description of the segment is Click-bait hyperbolic youtubey guff.

"Destruction unleashed" , "Controlled demolition" - Seriously?

Someone made a statement and the other person rebutted that statement with their own viewpoint supported by data.

That used to be just called journalism and debate.

However , almost no one saw it though as outside of a nightly blip upwards towards mediocre for an hour when Farage is on , no one is watching GB News.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I agree with @Quin_Dub. The language you're promoting here is cringey to be honest. Fox has been taken to task several times but it's only when you can promote GB News here that you highlight it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

That wasn't the question.

The question was whether GB News was an echo-chamber. I gave you an example - and rather than focus on that and an echo-chamber, you talk about the quality of my language.

Had Tom Harwood fawned over Laurence Fox, you'd never have heard the end of it on here.

So, there was an instance of journalism on the channel and I'm supposed to be impressed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

So if Harwood took the knee in support of BLM you would be celebrating how it proves GB News is not an echo chamber?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The only "misrepresentations" are coming from you and it's been pointed out to you numerous times, so it's no accidental slip up you're making. With every single post you engage in a dishonest shilling...and for what? Some silly TV channel. Seriously, just hold the horses and think about what your actually doing for a moment.

Irrespective of where one stands on the political aisle, it's always better to remain an honest onlooker at events. But when your politics causes you to be deceitful, then maybe it's time re-examine that politics.

That last paragraph applies to you, and every other poster who is an active opponent of GB News.

I suggest re-reading it from a first-person perspective.

Youre the one stating unsubratiate nonsense about Marcus Rashford and tying yourself up in knots to say Widdicombe was misquoted and Davidson is merely a throwback

You've failed to actually response to about 90% percent of the rebukes made to your inane mutterings, and wait for farages daily ratings to pop back in everytime, again wilfully misrepresenting a small subsection of a larger dataset to basically lie about whatever point you are making.

On GBnews, as I've not talked about it much. It's just a badly put together production. I'm not it's audience, but I don't think it knows what it audience is and it's going to have to figure it out soon or go out of existence.

Newsmax in the US started off vaguely similar and is now struggling so GB news may yet go the same way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What hard hitting "guest" does Farage have on tonight?

The hysterics again from someone who trots out accusations of racism while almost certainly berating "the left" for allegedly doing the same thing.

The problem is that for every one time a Conservative legitimately uses the word racism, the Left inappropriately use the word twenty-five times.

So todays figures should give you a better idea of wether it's a success, are numbers up for one hour due to Farage or are the numbers up for the whole channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Rawr

Couldn't help myself :D The thread just kept reminding me of this meme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'd suggest you read it again and perhaps pause long enough to take it onboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Did you cut and paste that or actually type it without paying attention to it? Some of the stuff you have posted here are like a Brendan O'Neil Spiked article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its like a pack of rabid dogs after a fox.

The same usual petty suspects literally trying to bully people into accepting their propaganda and opinion as fact.

Cancel all dissenting opinions, attack attack with personal insults.

Repeat adnauseum.

This was dreary and overdone the first time you said it. Repeating it dozens of times hasn't altered that.

Is there anything you'd like to say about GB News that isn't some sort of victimhood or persecution fantasy?

Brexit but equally applicable here:

Its ok for you and your cohorts to repeat the same propaganda over and over though.

Give it a rest.

Its time to repopulate the ignore list, it seems to have been reset after the changeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭bewareofthedog

It's really no surprise the way the politics forum ended up the way it did, especially considering your previous statements such as calling conservatism a totally false belief system or something equivalent.

In your mind anyone believing in something politically that you don't agree with isn't worth the time of day, so what's the point in conversing with you at all?

Jaysus the GB "news" snowflakes are out in force this evening :D

• Advertisement

If you have to resort to insults, you don't have an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Says the lad posting memes about Brexit voters. You have some balls crying the victim after calling conservatism a worthless ideology and belief system whilst moderating the politics forum. Maybe you're getting bolder now since the website is dying that you don't have to hide your true face anymore.

The meme was about GB News. I specifically stated this.

Its not just conservatism that was berated.

The Old, Christians, Mainstream American Right (Nazis), Anti lockdown protesters all came in for special treatment.

Conservatism is a worthless and dead ideology

Old people are the most privileged people that have ever existed in society. We've literally crashed the global economy for them and they still insist on voting in trash like Johnson and Trump

Fortunately so as there turned out to be a gathering of human refuse stamping their feet and spewing their bile.

There's no such thing as principled bigotry. If Christians had a shred of principle they'd be consistent but they only perk up when they can inflict suffering on others.

Funny how Christians only seem to care about the parts of their faith that justify their abuse of other people.

It was the mainstream American right who were waving swastikas in January at the Capitol as I recall.

How can someone so biased be a politics moderator, its preposterous.

Do you think disagreeing with someone, and pointing that out equates to bullying?

Interesting view of someone who spends time on a discussion forum.

I know for a fact that Eskimohunt will not change their mind. If GB news does disappear, than so too will the thread and many contributors may do so also at that time. We saw it with the US election last year when the day of it being announced for Biden coincided with the disappearance of many posters who had been fighting hard to show support for Trump up to that point and claiming it was a dead cert he was going to win and rightly so in their view. All the time while saying they were being persecuted on those threads also.

Do you remember those threads? Pretty sure you fit the bill of one of those who had to take some time off to recover when reality hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

please tell me that pic of farage and widdicombe is a photoshop. Do they have no shame?

• Advertisement

It's weird that the defenders of GB News keep quoting that post but never actually engage with it.

Anyway, I just threw a few bob to the RNLI since the intellectual heavyweights of GB News set their sights on them.

I love the faux outrage and the constant bringing up of him being a mod in politics as if that matters a jot to the discussion being held here.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I subbed to GB news, found it awful. Show ain't baste B! I am essentially a melodramatic parody of an alt right demon with aids etc, but this channel is not going to work out for me. It stinks and I don't like it. Taking the partisan hat off for a moment, most of the hosts are devoid of both personality and intellectual credibility. I can't imagine they have any background in classics or European literature or philosophy, plus their delivery comes off as a "hey we're all in on this, right?" type wink. I think it is a good business decision ultimately, the audience is out there and they'll make a few quid, but it shouldn't outrage anyone because it is about as leftwing as anything else. It is an ultra cucked, shabbos goy, waste of space. It ain't what some people think it ain't be, but it do be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Isn't it a weird world where the target of a TV channels anger seems to be people working on rescue boats and a footballer who's trying to stop child food poverty.

But bigots and racists are lauded as good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's because of what they do to the people their marks hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You may very well get a momentary feeling of satisfaction from but believe me it's going to backfire.

I note in the US the trend from the Left to target companies for poor diversity records and so on so it's seems if anyone is importing American style politics to western Europe it's the Lefties.

All this will do is further promote GBNews at a time when you'd think you'd want to give it as little attention as possible so it would sink.

Also it will give more attention to the whole subject of the refugee channel crisis, the very thing GBNews said it wanted to do i.e. discuss topics the msm didn't want to discuss.

You may very well think attacking these companies in this way is a good idea but I'm certain it's not going to go down well with the general UK public at all. And it does't look like those behind this are as confidant as some here are that the channel will fail, rather they are actively trying to bring that about.

Yeah, it was the left that were posting videos of themselves burning their Nike shirts when it came out that they had continued to hire Kapaernick. And the left who lost their sh*t over Gillette running an ad suggesting men could be morally upstanding. And the left who to this day post incessantly on Twitter and other platforms that they are no longer watching anything whether it is the NFL, or MLB, or NBA or the Olympics or soccer when the organisations, teams or players do even the remotest thing that causes the 'Free Market' screamers to get their panties in a knot.

You, like you're conservative colleagues are once again adhering to the old adage of 'accuse others of that which you are guilty' Some do it to dilute their own actions, others probably because they are too stupid to realise the hypocrisy of their words.

In relation to the importing of the US style of politics, Farage literally went campaigning for Trump... On top of that, having Cruz on seems like a pretty clear sign of what they're aiming for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

As for the first paragraph I have no clue about those things. I have a vague recollection of the Gillette thing and it strikes me as stereotypically wokey weird. Was it targeted at right wing men because all left wing men are already morally upstanding aren't they.

As for the second you seem be in agreement with my assessment as if you weren't you're hypocrisy argument wouldn't hold up.

As for your too stupid to realize comment, that's just a spineless trick to avoid moderation. Attack the post not the poster so attack someone like the poster instead. Maybe you thought that I was too stupid to realize that is the tactic of the clean shaven morally upstanding kindhearted empathetic lefties on this thread.

'As for your too stupid to realize comment, that's just a spineless trick to avoid moderation. Attack the post not the poster so attack someone like the poster instead. Maybe you thought that I was too stupid to realize that is the tactic of the clean shaven morally upstanding kindhearted empathetic lefties on this thread.'

You're the one suggesting this was aimed specifically at you. That's telling.

Looks like GB News wont be shutting down anytime soon.

There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the naysayers on here with this truly awful news.

Growing? Or trying to replace the people who have left?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement