Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Of course there's a link but it goes both ways and "culture" is a constantly evolving thing.

It's not like current UK culture is a completely closed thing and that the introduction of a small number of people that think/act differently will have an irrevocable negative impact.

The people arriving will change their behaviour far more to assimilate than the local culture will adjust to accommodate them but ultimately is all just blends into a slightly changed overall condition.

Countries don't get to "decide" who comes seeking asylum , equally they don't get to say "we'll accept you , but not that other person" - That's just not how asylum works ANYWHERE. If the asylum claim is valid it's valid , end of discussion.

We are in full agreement about Immigration - By all means pick and choose who you wish to give permanent visas to based on current gaps in skills/demographics etc. etc.

But we are talking about Asylum seekers here , not immigrants and your seeming inability to differentiate between the two is somewhat of a tell.

No, they have repeatedly misquoted me.

I was raising the very real spectre of rich, powerful people hiding any inappropriate / illegitimate / improper activity behind a veil of charity. We all know that multimillionaires do this. I gave several of the most obvious and prominent examples: the Clintons, Jimmy Saville, and Jeffrey Epstein; all of whom were manipulating charity for their own personal interests.

I drew the comparison that, if The Spectator article provides evidence of same, then this would be yet another example of the above.

Alas, we are still awaiting that article. It may or may not appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

But it's not really about the broader point though, is it? At least not with Farage anyway as exaggeration and hysteria is the only tactic he has as he knows the majority of the British people want a more compassionate and humane policy on asylum seekers.

As for control, all these people enter a system where their cases are examined and then judged as to whether they can remain or not. So it is entirely above board and transparent. I've asked you multiple times for evidence "gigantic" numbers were entering illegally but you never respond so....

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have to admit I get great amusement from individuals like yourself pontificating about the undesirable views held by some migrants, and wanting to protect the progressive steps made here.

People used to talk about Irish people, and look down on them, the same way you do with Africans. Think about that for a moment.

I'm looking down on bad ideas, irrespective of where they come from.

Though, as with the UK Muslim population (which, if anything, you'd have thought would be far less than 50% wanting LGBT illegal!), there does appear to be a particular aversion to LGBT / women, among Muslim-majority countries.

Import these ideas at great peril.

Take a look at what's happened to Sweden; from a Nordic oasis of calm to the rape nucleus of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The absolute irony of you typing out that first sentence, and then doubling down by actually posting it!! 🤣🙈

We don't get serious replies here: only sardonic dismissals whose function is solely to appeal to the wider majority view.

The above is one of hundreds of possible examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wait do you STILL think that Spectator article is real?

You wrongly called me a racist

You likened Rashford to Jimmy Saville

You claimed Jim Davidson isn't a wife beating racist

The list goes on and on, why would anyone take you seriously?

As soon as you are proven wrong you just skip to the next non story and ignore any further discussion on what you have previously posted.

• Advertisement

How are those programmes fake reality TV? Are the criminals planted? Do you think the TV producers selectively edit somehow to make non-whites look bad?

I did not "compare Jimmy Saville to Marcus Rashford". I was highlighting the real link between powerful people and charity, whilst also stating we must await The Spectator allegations.

Please provide evidence of where I supposedly made the claim that Jim Davidson does not beat his wife.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Do you think the TV producers selectively edit somehow

You know , you might be on to something there.....

Who would watch a TV show about loads of perfectly law abiding people coming in without any issues or queries. That would be beyond dull.

It focusses exclusively on the bad/extreme/ridiculous.

The result is a skewed view of the reality of the process leading to low engagement viewers beginning to assume that all people entering the country are somehow untrustworthy etc.

Or quite simply just a fair representation of what Border Force face at our points of entry?

Oh please....So in your mind the vast majority of people that come through the border process are somehow up to various levels of no good??

What's shown is true and did happen , but they are edge cases that make for "good" tv.

Like I said , no one is going to watch a load of people going through the "nothing to declare channels" with a smile and a wave from the staff.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well you refused to answer the question about his own recollections of beating his wife. You instead talked about his stint on hell's kitchen and how other contestants should have risen above.

Your refusal to answer that question when it was put to you says a lot.

I have no idea about Jim Davidson's relationship with his wife.

Apparently from what I read in an earlier post, Davidson admitted to clobbering his wife and giving her a black eye or something to that affect. If that's written in Davidson's biography, why would I waste my time denying it?

I made no such denial. It was invented out of thin air (one of dozens of false allegations levelled against me on here, incidentally).

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You were asked your opinion of it and continued your defence of him while just ignoring that point.

He's an odious cretin, yet you twisted and turned your way about to defend him. You only stopped when he was replaced on the show.

On Rashford being likened to Saville

"Jimmy Savile raised enormous funds for charity, over $40 million. But that doesn't mean we should overlook his crimes - or to point to someone else and say, "But, why aren't you saying anything about [insert alternative]?".

Like Rashford, we cannot allow someone to use "charity" as a Trojan horse for other, inappropriate activity."

Here you admit to comparing Rashford to Saville

"Also, my comparison with Jimmy Saville stands. My point is that powerful people cannot be allowed to get away with inappropriate activity (financial, abusive, or any other kind) just because their public persona is associated with charity."

As for Davidson you made a wishy washy post about how you enjoyed watching him on some cooking show but you never defended his wife beating and I will concede that point.

What actually happened was it was pointed out to you that he was a wife beating racist who had an affair with a sixteen year old girl and you ignored (as usual) those posts and moved onto your next non story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

But you're Irish though.... Our? Ports of entry ...

You of course didn't deny that he beat his wife , but you did dismiss that him being a racist misogynist wife beater should be a reason for him not to be an acceptable TV guest.

He was "old school funny" and that was enough for you , you were perfectly happy to ignore the fact that he is an all round awful person. Just as you were with Anne Widdecome.

THAT is what people are calling you out on as I think you are fully aware.

But let's just consider what type of politicians in the UK are the ones who have attempted to legislatively limit the rights of gay people... They're generally the likes of Anne Widdecombe who according to yourself isn't homophobic... You and Wojtek are weirdly jumping all over the place in relation to homophobia or restriction of rights that ye deem acceptable.

Also fyi, the likes of Sadiq Khan tends to be the type of Muslim politicians that do get elected. More progressive than Widdecombe by a long shot.

I'll accept your retraction of the false allegation you levelled against me re: Jim Davidson.

Now time for the second retraction. Here, in my own words, which you kindly found for me, is what I said:

**Also, my comparison with Jimmy Saville stands. My point is that powerful people cannot be allowed to get away with inappropriate activity (financial, abusive, or any other kind) just because their public persona is associated with charity.**

That is exactly what I said about five posts ago in response to another poster.

I've been 100% consistent all the way through.

You can focus on the word comparison, but you are deliberately avoiding the context that follows.

Yeah, you can admit you wrongly called me a racist and retract that statement before we move on.

You still haven't provided proof of anything improper happening. You appear to be implying you can keep going with the claim if an article is never produced. It's also very relevant that you chose to liken Rashford spending a fortune to help the impoverished (with no proof of him doing anything untoward) to sexual predators.... For a man with such a high IQ, you do like to push nonsense...

In relation to Davidson, you kept announcing how hilarious he was while ignoring remarks about his atrocious behavior...

• Advertisement

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Anne Widdecombe is the apple, who is extant in the UK and part of the existing population that is against gay marriage.

Mass immigration from Muslim-majority countries (or other anti-LGBT/women countries) is the orange, and not yet part of the population that is against gay marriage / wants it illegal.

The question is: why add to the problem of anti-LGBT by importing more people with the same bad ideas?

If Anne Widdecombe is a bad person for these ideas, surely that means you also think that immigrants with these views are also bad people?

But it seems you want to condemn Widdecombe, but welcome more Anne Widdecombe's into the country? It makes absolutely no sense.

Again, why add to a pre-existing problem to make it worse than it already is?

It's not me who is being inconsistent, it's you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

I'm happy to admit there are homophobic Christians and Muslims... This is hardly news. On top of that, a person seeking refugee status can have crap views, I've never disputed that however I'm equally unwilling to send a person back to a country where they're likely to be killed... They will still be subject to the same laws as anyone else etc. If Anne Widdecombe was seeking asylum for political reasons or whatever, I would fully support giving it to her regardless of her being a homophobe btw. I'm pretty consistent and unlike yourself a Wojtek am not arguing for drownings.

Here we go again...

Please provide evidence where I've welcomed or argued for migrants drowning in the English Channel.

Well you're backing Farage who is very much so backing the RNLI doing nothing. Do you think he's wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Eskimohunt - "I did not "compare Jimmy Saville to Marcus Rashford".

Also Eskimohunt - "my comparison with Jimmy Saville stands."

Look at yourself for a second. You're tying yourself up in knots simply because you cannot admit to something. Below is the definition of a "comparison". I suggest that you read it.

__________________________________________________________________________________

comparison

/kəmˈparɪs(ə)n/

noun

noun: comparison; plural noun: comparisons

1. a consideration or estimate of the similarities or dissimilarities between two things or people.

"they drew a comparison between Gandhi's teaching and that of other teachers"

Similar: contrast, juxtaposition, collation, differentiation

• an analogy.
    • "perhaps the best comparison is that of seasickness"

the quality of being similar or equivalent.

"when it comes to achievements this season, there's no comparison between Linfield and Bangor"

Similar: resemblance, likeness, similarity, similitude, correspondence

__________________________________________________________________________________

When you include figures, things, or situations in the same discussion point you are either attempting to draw a likeness, a "comparison" with them, or to show their differences. You didn't attempt to contrast Rashford and Saville, your tried to make a connection between them. Therefore, you are definitely making a COMPARISON in that regard.

Your later attempts to try and qualify your comparison means nothing, because the original comparison still remains and your weasel words aren't going to clear you of it. You compared a footballer who's involved with certain charities and who has nothing against his name, thus far, with a man that was responsible for some of the worst examples of abuse that has come to light in decades and who doesn't even belong in the same sentence as the former individual.

The correct thing to do here is to simply admit that you over egged the pudding in your attempt to have a go at Marcus Rashford, because of a Spectator article that hasn't even seen the light of day.

Where did I specifically back comments that Farage made arguing in favour of migrants drowning? I want both the post where a source shows Farage claimed this, alongside my quoting that saying how good idea I think it is.

If you can't provide the above evidence, then please retract this disgusting accusation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You did. Repeatedly. You even sank so low as to invoke Jeffrey Epstein for some unfathomable reason. I'll find quotes for you once you honor all of the requests for evidence that have been made of you.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I have repeatedly compared Rashford to every other major millionaire / billionaire celebrity that deploys charity as a public relations exercise.

That includes Jimmy Saville, yes. It also includes Bill Gates (who, incidentally, was close to Epstein).

I could go on, but the broad point stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It is just as likely that refugees to the UK have left their home country because of various types of persecution, including, at least for some, their own sexuality and so it is disingenuous to suggest that they would arrive on mass with the worst views of the country from which they left as being something they ascribe to.

You are making the gigantic leap that they are all genuine refugees and asylum seekers.

I take leave to doubt that, I really do.

Look at what happened Sweden when your perspective was adopted en masse.

I wonder what Nigel will focus on on his show tonight?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not remotely sensitive about it. This is just yet another fabrication of yours. Gaslighting doesn't really work on a text-based website.

Back to the topic at hand, GB News sinks just a little lower:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Eh, you explicitly mentioned Savile and Epstein....

And you are taking a leap in assuming that they are all sleeper radicals looking to set up some sort of a caliphate in Grimsby.

Which scenario do you think is more likely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

"Cancel culture - it's only bad when it's not us doing it."

Can you explain what would happen to drowning refugees if the RNLI didn't intervene? Meanwhile Farage is describing them as a taxi service because they are rescuing them.... So it logically follows that he doesn't want their interventions and wishes to leave them to drown.

Fair play. Nice to see companies distance themselves from this lying little racist.

What magnificent broadcasting that is.

Jokes aside the lass probably just uttered one of the smartest soundbytes to air on the channel to date.

More success for GB News and Nigel Farage.

Farage's ratings have gone up 50% since his inaugural show, reaching a peak of 157,000 viewers.

NIGEL

FARAGE

IS

NOT

GBNEWS

HE

IS

JUST

A

ONE

HOUR

SEGMENT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭noelfirl

And as Robert Coxwell points out on Twitter, it's selective picking of one night's ratings - the previous night the ratings were the other way around.

(in other words, standard fare from the Paul Staines Guido Fawkes house of muck raking)

How did the rest of the shows get on? Since you never reference them it appears that nobody is watching them....

Not sure, but I doubt as high as Farage's show.

157,000 per day would translate into 4.7 million views a month - just from one show. When you add in the other stats from Dan Wootton and others, the figure is likely to be much higher than the June figures.

Personally, I think they should sign Piers Morgan and give him a slot around 9pm. Keep Andrew Neil at 8pm, too.

That way, from 7-11pm, they'll attract enormous figures each night.

Anyway in the meantime, it's onwards and upwards for the Farage show.

• Advertisement

Piers and Hopkins cant be far away from getting a desperate SOS call alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement