Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 king_gizzard

fly_agaric wrote: »
    There's some fairly strong laws in the UK + Ofcom or whatever its called isn't there which should hinder it being exactly like US style "infotainment"?

Johnson has his tentacles all over Ofcom. He has a Murdoch goon in charge of choosing the new chair. It's likely they'll pick Paul Dacre, ex Mail editor.

Also, in case all that hasn't unsettled you enough, the Murdoch guy's name is Paul Potts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Johnson has his tentacles all over Ofcom. He has a Murdoch goon in charge of choosing the new chair. It's likely they'll pick Paul Dacre, ex Mail editor.

Also, in case all that hasn't unsettled you enough, the Murdoch guy's name is Paul Potts.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Hopefully they hire some left wing voices and no not Owen Jones.:P

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1362803864748097541

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Indirectly looking at it, you're seeing the first impacts on discourse of the anticipated new channel GB News.
    Looking today, Piers Morgan refused to kowtow and walk back from his comments about Megan Markle and her comments about royal Family. He refused to back down and instead, rather than fold at the requests to take back his comments about Markle, he instead quit.
    He is widely tipped to be a host on the new upcoming channel.
    Without the prospect of having an alternative space to voice his view (in this case a likely more sympathetic station) then he would have been harassed into retracting his opinion and again, folding to the loudest critics who are generally the woke type.
    So in this instance, we see the new channel having an indirect impact already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Indirectly looking at it, you're seeing the first impacts on discourse of the anticipated new channel GB News.
    Looking today, Piers Morgan refused to kowtow and walk back from his comments about Megan Markle and her comments about royal Family. He refused to back down and instead, rather than fold at the requests to take back his comments about Markle, he instead quit.
    He is widely tipped to be a host on the new upcoming channel.
    Without the prospect of having an alternative space to voice his view (in this case a likely more sympathetic station) then he would have been harassed into retracting his opinion and again, folding to the loudest critics who are generally the woke type.
    So in this instance, we see the new channel having an indirect impact already

It's fantastic advertising for GB news.

• Advertisement

UK is just a decade behind the US, maybe less, with an unbridgeable divide between the red and blue. The only difference is that is wont be 50:50, with substantial and organised minority groups. Will be more like 60:40, with white victimhood getting a pretty clear run.

The UK is inherently a conservative and racist country (and I say that having been born there and lived there most of my life)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Sure how long does Piers Morgan ever stay in the one job anyway? Think he was around a decade in charge at the mirror but that was a time when he needed those titles far more than they needed him. 6 years in his current role seems just about right and he just about manages the exit on his own terms. And so brand morgan moves on, apparently, to GB News though i have some doubts it would be considered a juicy enough vehicle for a self preening meglomaniac the scale of piers morgan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brillo Pad is a professional at the end of the day, he won't put up with someone who, like Boris Johnson has a history of lies and low cunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Setting a nice early tone of c*ntishness which will likely continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

It's a hilarious tweet.

• Advertisement

Sure how long does Piers Morgan ever stay in the one job anyway? Think he was around a decade in charge at the mirror but that was a time when he needed those titles far more than they needed him. 6 years in his current role seems just about right and he just about manages the exit on his own terms. And so brand morgan moves on, apparently, to GB News though i have some doubts it would be considered a juicy enough vehicle for a self preening meglomaniac the scale of piers morgan.

Judging by the other thread his haters follow him around from channel to channel. So he’s fairly secure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just a joke IMO. Nothing to get wound up over. If it was directed at Jones' sexuality or was more sinister then that'd be a different story.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Another new appointment has been announced by GB News today.

Simon McCoy, formally of BBC News & Sky News, is to do an Afternoon news slot on the channel.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1375073803282317313?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Another new appointment has been announced by GB News today.

Simon McCoy, formally of BBC News & Sky News, is to do an Afternoon news slot on the channel.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1375073803282317313?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Well isn't that interesting. I was just thinking the other day there is something a bit odd about BBC News. It's just the vibe it gives off when you compare it SKY News and I concluded it's the newsreaders. They all come across a bit robotic and characterless. But I don't think for a minute that's unintentional, I think an intentional look to appeal to 'everyone' as if it were an International news station. But one obvious exception to that would be Simon McCoy, and hey presto off he goes. I'm sure he'll feel much more at home there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Watching Sky News this morning, balance is definitely needed in the UK. Two segments in a row about white racism including the interview of a black author about her book "What white people can do next". White people in the UK, who make up the majority of Sky viewers, must find this type of incessant focus by Sky on white-only racism nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Kivaro wrote: »
    Watching Sky News this morning, balance is definitely needed in the UK. Two segments in a row about white racism including the interview of a black author about her book "What white people can do next". White people in the UK, who make up the majority of Sky viewers, must find this type of incessant focus by Sky on white-only racism nauseating.

I always make sure to keep 10 minutes open in my busy schedule to watch a bit of Channel 4 or Sky News and read a few Mayor Chu tweets while self flagelating to purge myself of this accursed original sin.

BBC are just as bad I'm afraid.
    I turned it on for a few minutes last night and their top story was the George Floyd case.
    Must have spent 6 or 7 minutes on the story.
    Over on Sky the George Floyd case was about the 3rd story.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

BBC are just as bad I'm afraid.
    I turned it on for a few minutes last night and their top story was the George Floyd case.
    Must have spent 6 or 7 minutes on the story.
    Over on Sky the George Floyd case was about the 3rd story.

It's a hugely important story in America and the result of it could lead to huge civil unrest. Of course they're covering it.

Penn wrote: »
    It's a hugely important story in America and the result of it could lead to huge civil unrest. Of course they're covering it.

It will only lead to huge civil unrest from one group in particular. If he is found guilty there will be no unrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It will only lead to huge civil unrest from one group in particular. If he is found guilty there will be no unrest.

Regardless, I'm just saying that UK news channels reporting on it is completely warranted. Even GB News would likely be reporting on it, so I don't know why it's being used as an indication of the need for balance in news reporting.

• Advertisement

Regardless, I'm just saying that UK news channels reporting on it is completely warranted. Even GB News would likely be reporting on it, so I don't know why it's being used as an indication of the need for balance in news reporting.

Yes I would agree. I think it is big news, considering the repercussions of the event and how it sent shockwaves around the world. It is this generation's Rodney King or OJ Simpson trial. The racial component makes these things box office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Sky are gone off the rails!

When BLM happened SkySports literally had a poster up saying "we will hire more black presenters".

I'm not saying that it shouldnt be covered .
    It was the top story and BBC spent 6-7 minutes coverage on it.
    It wasnt objective reporting, it was pretty one sided and melodramatic.
    The news is supposed to be objective.

Looking forward to checking out this channel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Better Than muhammad

I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Just a bump as GB News is launching tonight at 8pm

The network, chaired by veteran broadcaster and former BBC political interviewer, Andrew Neil, has announced a raft of high profile signings, including former Sky Sports presenter Kirsty Gallacher, ex-BBC presenter Simon McCoy and former ITV presenter, Alastair Stewart.

It will be available to watch in HD on Sky channel 515 and Virgin Media’s channel 626, as well as also showing on Freeview and YouView channel 236, Freesat channel 216 and online.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1397885298827137028

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Logo looks like its GBNI. A subconscious attempt at strengthening of the union perhaps? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭archfi

Not a fan of rolling news channels but will give this a scan when I can.

Andrew Doyle is worth a watch on any channel.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I don't think it will last long. A nice experiment with good intentions, but ultimately flawed in its attempt to take on the might of the BBC & Sky News in the UK.

I expect GB news to go the way of Eldorado.

For those of you who remember ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement