Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

Not at all.

Earlier in this thread, it was argued that they were all refugees.

Now, the number is 47 percent.

It's dropping all the time, getting closer and closer to the true figure.

As per my analysis above, it is a category error to classify these people as anything other than economic migrants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Why racist/xenophobes afraid to admit thats what they are. why do the need to hid behind being consvertive, just come out and be honest.

To sum up my opionion of eskimo, a simple xenophobe who doesn't want to pay tax but will go to any lenght to hide their real angst.

You do realize that every country in the world protects its borders from economic migrants?

You cannot just enter and live in the United States, for example.

There's nothing new, or xenophobic, about this policy. It has always been the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

A process that

Again, you are using the initial figure. Between between 2015 and 2017 the number of applications granted increased by a further 18% after the appeals process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

well duh!!

so whats all your fawning over rabble rousing right whinge grifters all about then? Their main tenet has always been anti immigration and taking back control of boarders shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@Tell me how

Spare us the faux concern and sanctimony, no one is buying it.

Exactly. All of these mindless ramblings, from the entirety of last night, to this morning and now this afternoon are just the smokescreens of an outright bigot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

As usual pick the tiny bits of my post and ignore the bit about the xenophobic figures.

If you are the majority why do fascist parties and far right ones continue to tank in Ireland. Your little fascist buddy Le Pen will take a kicking too dont worry

I've said this quite a few times now.

If they were genuinely in fear of their lives, they'd have sought asylum in the first safe country they reached.

Instead, they have decided to move beyond that remit: moving to the UK for economic reasons. That makes them economic migrants and undermines their claim to be genuine refugees. You can only become a refugee after an asylum application has been granted and refugee status approved. Before this, they were acting as economic migrants and so I consider them to be as such.

Who instructs these migrants to do this Any proof ?

On your second point you are way off. EU law allows the first country to point blank refuse but not the second so many refugees move on through because of this not because their claim was not valid in the first country

So every bit of what you said as usual is wrong.

God I hope all your "silent majority" fans are not tuning in today to see you taken apart so easy

If they were genuine refugees, they'd have their application processed in the first, second, third, fourth safe country.

They've gone beyond that: moving all the way to Calais to illegally enter the UK for solely economic reasons.

That makes them economic migrants.

• Advertisement

In their hubris they though the likes of Morgan would jump and listened to a few nuts on the internet who led them to believe that the "silent majority" was ready to ditch Sky but Morgan seems to be paying very little attention and same goes for most of the population

How do you know where they all came in these stories are just your xenophobic fantasies. The vast vast majority go nowhere near the UK or Ireland but for all you know they came into France and only passed one country.

Courts and immigration officials decide if they are refugees or migrants. As an "old fashioned conservative" Im sure you respect the decision of these courts

Then why is the UK granting the majority of them asylum status?

Many migrants throw away their passport, and so it's impossible to remove them from the country. Therefore, they'll always be granted asylum.

You can see why they do want to come to the UK, being put up at 4-star hotels to begin with.

Nigel Farage visited one of the many dozens of hotels now housing migrants.

Did he visit the detention centers too, as the UK is one of the largest users of detention in Europe? More Farage bs.

Bigot: a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

I'm clearly not unreasonably attached to my opinion; I simply have a different opinion.

This links back to GB News, incidentally. One of the common threads that weaves its way through all presenters, is the argument that says that just because you have a difference of opinion with someone, doesn't mean you should throw around labels to try and dismiss opposing views.

Bigot. Xenophobe. Racist. Transphobe. Homophobe.

Labels are used as a mechanism to cancel the other person, to dismiss them outright as unreasonable or prejudicial.

I believe it is better to engage with those with whom you disagree, rather than to dismiss them because they - with good intentions - have a different view.

GB News exists precisely because of the kind of dismissal that @Tony EH has put forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"Labels are used as a mechanism to cancel the other person, to dismiss them outright as unreasonable or prejudicial."

Says the lad who throws out labels like confetti 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Advertisement

You've made a category error.

I'm not against labels.

I'm against labels being as an intellectually lazy means to not engage with the other side and to just cancel them. As far as I'm concerned, those labels are a form of ad hominem argument - attack the person as a means to discredit their argument.

A logical fallacy.

GB News, for all its faults, at least corrects this imbalance by providing a greater degree of open debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

GB “News” only exists because Andrew Neil evacuated the contents of his bowels on our tv screens and Nigel Farage is the lingering stink. You’re simply the sycophant who is trying to convince everyone that what they’re smelling is perfume, when they’re well aware that what they’re smelling is bullshìt.

No engagement. Just dismissal.

As I've said before, GB News - for some reason - annoys many people with a left-wing disposition. Exactly the same phenomenon we've seen regarding Farage's cultural coat about ten pages ago.

For common sense conservatives, we find the spectacle rather amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think you are breaking forum rules by commenting on moderation in thread.

Whatever you think of eskimos views he hasn't been uncivil and if anything he's on receiving end of borderline uncivil remarks. I don't know how many posts I've skipped over directed at him of that kind because they don't contain any worthwhile point.

I haven't seen him make any outright racist remarks rather you think he's racist because of the points he makes but that's not the same thing as making racist remarks that warrant moderation. It seems to me y'all have been trying to rile eskimos to the point he'll slip and get banned but since you haven't managed to bring that about now your throwing a tantrum packaged in moral indignation.

So like GBNews it seems to me you don't want issues discussed and would prefer discussion of them shut down. As far as your ilk is concerned the migrant crisis isn't a crisis, 600 per day is absolutely nothing, but you think some people might think so - so you'd rather keep the great unwashed in the dark about what's going on.

You would think some people would relish the opportunity to make winning arguments on any topic but like the Brexit saga you're going for instead that x can't be discussed publicly by certain people because there's a great swathe of people who're susceptible to being 'grifted', so a self appointed set of liberals will make all the decisions instead. Thanks but no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Report me and let's see what happens? That's not to be dismissive, but for my comment to be breaking the rule on commenting on mod actions?

There would have to have been some mod action 🤔 Probably would fall foul of backseat modding but tbqh given the slide in the forum over the last month and HO's efforts to lay blame...

I really couldn't give a **** if a ban comes my way. It would in fact only rurther reinforce my utter disdain for the slide in standards.

As for discussing EH's points? I have, others have and now we are at the point he can be openly racist and make up "thought experiments" that are apropos of nothing other than xenophobic (at best) bullshit.

So fire away, go back and hit report on my post and continue in the belief that affording EH continued free rein for specious and hateful bullshit is a blow for free speech or open debate. It isn't.

GB News is about open and honest debate, often on issues that simply don't get discussed elsewhere, or views that are simply not heard / are suppressed.

The issues raised here are the same ones raised by GB News - such as illegal economic migrant crossings and trans- issues, to name a few.

Whilst these topics may be difficult for some people to discuss, they are legitimate problems and we cannot hide behind the truth by labelling everyone an ism and phobia just because they take a different opinion.

Needless to say, that thought experiment was a legitimate question on the social effects of mass immigration. It wasn't xenophobic or racist in any way, shape, or form.

You have repeatedly made unsourced claims, made up numbers long before you compared 1.5million Somalis to 1.5million Danes. You have repeatedly made bad faith claims and yes.

You have been racist, you have danced around the circumstances of your comparison of Marcus Rashford to Jimmy Saville and somehow taken the notion that a Crombie coat is a masterstroke to own the woke.

Every single argument you have made regarding immigration, GB News viewer numbers and even tax is based on cherry picked numbers that you either wilfully misconstrue? Or have such a poor understanding of maths and statistics that you should perhaps be kept away from your form 11 for the sake of Ireland's future GDP remaining accurately forecast.

You swoop off on tangents, ignore questions and requests for sourcing then declare nations and races unwelcome.

Debate on boards and in particular here in CA and politics used to have that quite simple standard of that which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without it, along with the 3 rules from the charter. You have, and credit where it is due for this, by design or accident managed to eke the maximum degree of leeway for your nonsense views.

Your views on immigratiion are clear, your value on culture and colour are clear and they are abhorrent.

This is exactly why GB News was formed. Not just formed, but needed.

Conservatives are always portrayed as the above poster has construed.

It's a false portrayal.

And it's for that reason that I hope and expect GB News to grow in the weeks and months to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I've been out of the loop for a few days, did I miss something about Neils holiday being a permanent one?

Woe,woe to the poor conservative who's only asking questions and seeking honest and open debate...

As evidenced by said conservative's litany of dishonesty, lies, labels and numerical and statistical illiteracy across this thread 🤦

52pc of UK Muslims want homosexuality illegal, and 4% are sympathetic to suicide bombing. That's 125,000 British Muslims.

I've always given stats, then told that those stats must be wrong - despite the fact I deliberately quoted The Guardian, of all papers.

It's simply untrue that I don't back up my claims with evidence. I have done so, only to have that evidence rejected as being the wrong kind of evidence.

And I've no idea why you keep raising Jimmy Saville. That phase of the discussion was parked dozens of pages ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not confirmed, just reports that after the launch he's been arguing with the CEO about the direction of the channel and was unhappy with the launch.

Depends who you ask, comical Ali will be along shortly to tell you how great GB "news" is doing and youtube views have sky rocketed, or some other BS 🤷‍♂️

327 watching at the moment so revenue must be booming.

GB News is absolutely NOT about open and honest debate, unless by “open and honest debate” what you really mean is attempting to cater to a demographic of ill-informed and unwilling to inform themselves gobshytes parked in front of a screen wearing nothing but their piss, shìt and spunk stained Y-fronts with a wife-beater stick in one hand and a tin of Carling in the other, and GB news STILL isn’t bitter and spiteful enough for them.

There’s evidently no demand for it, very little in the way of interest in it, and it’s literally whipping a dead piebald in terms of any influence it has in UK society. It has no more influence than it’s very limited viewership which isn’t growing. You’ve seen the extent of it, enjoy it while it lasts, because once the money runs out, it’s investors aren’t going to make the same mistake twice.

• Advertisement

It's too premature to write off a channel that was only birthed two months ago.

Better to see where things stand in a year from now. You may even be surprised that it's around by then - which I think it will be.

43% voted for the Conservatives; the idea that Wokeism is somehow popular is absurd. There's definitely a market for GB News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It wasnt really as you never admitted what you said but just tried to weasel out with a "thought experiment".

You may occasionally use actual stats but your understanding of the statistics is akin to your understanding of taxes.

And any "statistics" you provide about GBNews is an absolute comedy.

I have no issue with the idea that 43% of the electorate vote Conservative, that has no bearing on the viewing figures for GB News?

As I said earlier - GB News has no interest in catering for Conservatives, their target demographic is people who want to “wind up the lefties”, and that’s why they’re failing.

They appear to have vastly overestimated how many people actually cared about winding up lefties. It’s just not the popular pastime they thought it was, and that’s all it is, a pastime. It has no influence in UK politics. There are UK children’s channels with viewing figures on the tv channel and social media interaction that GB News evangelists can only ever dream of, and that’s about all they do, is dream about it and evangelise about it and it’s clear they’re not even convinced themselves of the channels viability.

They know the games up, and I have no doubt that you’re absolutely not so stupid that you don’t know the games up either, you’re just riding it out on the coat tails of Farage and his flasher mac until they have to wrap it up and return to their mothers basement.

The reason why I raised the Conservatives winning with 43pc is because part of the backlash against Labour is because of their obsession with identity politics and trans- issues.

Old Labour votes beyond the Red Wall, which should have gone to Labour, went to the Conservatives because of the twin issues of a) identity politics, which has nothing to do with class issues that working people actually care about and Labour's original raison d'etre and b) the Old Labour votes wanted Brexit delivered and immediate controls on who is entering the country.

Yes, there is a market - a substantial one, and Conservatives will continue to win as long as Labour literally obsess about trans issues and identity politics.

You're confusing two different things: the channel output versus the market. You can have a super-large market but, if a channel is offering weak output, those viewers won't stick.

That said, GB News did attract 4 million viewers in its first month, and 20 million views on YouTube; so the idea that you're trying to paint, that nobody is watching the channel at all, is equally wrong.

"That said, GB News did attract 4 million viewers in its first month"

No it didn't, yet again you're proving to all that you know absolutely nothing about numbers 🤣

As Jim Royal used to say ...High I.Q my arse.

• Advertisement

It did, according to BARB.

Admittedly not 4 million, but pretty close.

In the four weeks to 11 July GB News reached 3.7m viewers compared to 12.6m for BBC News, 8.4m for Sky News and 4.6m for Sky Sports News according to Barb (the Broadcasters’ Audience Research Board).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah so now its the trans eski is going after tonight.

It's a subject that GB News is at least willing to take on.

And if we're all truly honest, we all know what the problems are - but people daren't say so publicly for fear of being labelled "transphobic".

Neil is suspected to leave GB News due to disagreements with a CEO about the direction of the channel.

The CEO apparently wants to take GB News in a Fox News-style approach.

That may not be a bad thing, though!

On GB News tonight, special guest Dame Esther Rantzen.

Is everyone who knows what the problems are, afraid to watch GB News too? Although having said that I would be less embarrassed to be caught watching porn than watching GB News… 🤔

But given the idea that 43% of the electorate in the UK voted Conservative, one would expect that GB News viewing figures should be a reflection of that, and it stands to reason that their viewing figures should be much, much higher than 4 million in the first four weeks of broadcasting.

Who’s watching anyone in the privacy and comfort of their own homes where they are free to watch whatever they like on the tv or the laptop or tablet, so many ways to watch it, and yet GB News are only managing to capture small numbers in comparison to the amount of people who you’re claiming share their views and values and opinions?

It doesn’t add up, because in spite of your claims, Conservatives just don’t have any interest in that crap. The only people who have any interest in it are people who stand for nothing, they have no principles, no integrity, no direction, no leadership, and like GB News - have no idea what they’re doing.

Before GB News even existed, it was argued they'd be lucky to get a few thousand viewers a month.

Now that it's 4 million, we're told that it should be higher.

The reality is that, no matter what figures GB News achieves, its detractors will say it should be higher.

So giving up any pretence of being a news channel and admitting they are a entertainment and conspiracy theory channel aimed at dick heads and the mentally challenged,

Not at all.

Supporting border controls, freedom of speech, culture, pride in one's country, and biology are not subjects worth dismissing.

Eskimo the reality is that GB News has failed miserably to capture the audience you claim it exists to represent! It clearly doesn’t represent Conservative views. It represents the views of people who want to wind up the lefties - they’re two very different demographics.

If your claims about the people who’s views you claim they represent had any legitimacy, it wouldn’t matter what it’s detractors say or what you say as the viewing figures would speak for themselves. The viewing figures do speak for themselves, and it’s fine for you to suggest that we wait and see and hope that the viewing figures will improve, but you’re not the investor who sunk a ball of money into the channel on the promise of significant returns on their investment based upon the audience figures you claim exist!

Not only are you claiming there’s a silent majority that can’t speak, it appears they can’t watch GB News either!

The vast majority of the population is anti-woke, pro-biology, against mass immigration, and pro-freedom of speech.

That's what GB News represents, and that's what the population supports.

Whether they tune into GB News is a separate question. But they do exist, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement