Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

I expect GB News to take a lot of abuse; the channel was taking abuse 9-months before it even existed.

That said, most ordinarily working people support the views that GB News holds: from restricting immigration and limiting access for illegal migrants, to ensuring that people are not cancelled for holding legitimate views.

And I'm convinced that Marine Le Pen will win the French Presidential election next year. I certainly hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"Silent Majority" nonsense and blatant support for a fascist. Lovely. Just lovely.

Are these the same ordinary working people you spend pages and pages calling lazy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If a single word can shut down your argument then your argument is drivel.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I didn't even formulate an argument on the question. Not sure what you mean.

And @L1011 - Le Pen is not a fascist. Can you substantiate that claim because, if she were, I wouldn't support her candidacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No Eskimo, whether they tune into GB News or not is THE question, because that’s what keeps the channel going, is people tuning into it!

I can’t believe I’ve just had to state the bloody obvious. I can in a way, as you’ve pretended to be oblivious throughout the course of this discussion, and now I don’t know was that deliberate on your part, or is it my fault that I actually overestimated your intellect… 🤔

There are two separate questions:

1. do most people uphold the values of what GB News represents re: anti-wokeness, pro-biology, pro-freedom of speech, pro-patriotism, anti-mass immigration; anti-illegal migration
    2. do the same people tune into GB News

The answer to the first question is yes, and the answer to the second question is not as many as we would prefer.

Do you seriously believe that the UK population has suddenly turned to pro-Labour values? Take a look at the recent poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

She is the leader of an avowed fascist party. But I'm sure you'll find some surreal way to try convince yourself that's OK.

You haven't provided any evidence to support that claim.

Fascism is a word that gets overused these days to the point where it means nothing.

Fascism is the ideal of having a militarized state with a dictator and no parliamentary democracy worth speaking of; and who silences, forcibly, any opposition.

Where is the evidence that Marine Le Pen is a fascist?

None. It's nonsense. Just because she is against mass immigration, she is labelled a fascist. It's preposterous.

I seriously believe that those who call Le Pen a fascist have never once heard her speak in an interview on her views.

• Advertisement

Ok, I actually do believe this is going over your head, and because I’m willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one, I’ll explain.

There aren’t two questions, there is only one. If the audience you claim exists to support GB News, which is what this discussion is about, then where are they? Because they’re clearly NOT supporting GB News.

I think it may be something related to the fundamental mistake you’re making that Conservatives actually give two fcuks about anti-wholeness, freedom of speech, biology, immigration and whatever else you’d care to add to that list that you think Conservatives give a fcuk about that is represented by GB News.

Conservatives, and I can tell you for a fact, just don’t give a two fcuks about any of that shyte! People who CLAIM to be Christian Conservatives, do!

In really, really simple terms - you don’t have to be a prick to watch GB News, but it helps.

There just aren’t enough pricks in the UK to support GB News, which is precisely why it’s falling flat on it’s arse in spite of it’s tokenistic roster of presenters who all claim to share the same values. The “values” they claim to share are simply not Conservative values, and they are of no interest to Conservatives, and that’s why the channel is failing to attract Conservatives, and is barely holding on to the tiny audience of pricks it aims to please.

No, you've made a claim that the public share your views. The UK public support transgender self identification according to polls. "Anti wokeness" is pretty undefinable bollocks. So let's go over the rest of your viewpoints. In general, you're a very vocal fear monger and your views don't tend to match the public view. On top of that, the Irish public tend to be more liberal on all of the issues you are ranting about.

Freedom of speech, I favour that but don't believe you're free of consequences for it. Indications are that the UK public are fine with firing people for being grossly offensive.

Polls also indicate that very nationalistic viewpoints are ultimately a fraction of the population.. Pretty good really, since extreme forms of patriotism tends to end up with nutters like Britain first.

And since we've been largely discussing refugees in this thread. Which isn't mass immigration, the vast majority of the UK public don't have an issue with allowing refugees in.

And I don't have a problem allowing genuine refugees in, either.

The problem is with mass immigration and economic migrants.

On the trans- question, those polls are not asking the right questions. I expect the results from those polls, but the questions are pathetically weak.

Yes you do, you already stated that you view all refugees who crossed the channel as economic migrants. That doesn't match the reality. Stop pretending as if you're a moderate, you're an extremist in your views.

Look, a person is only classified as a refugee after they have applied to become an asylum seeker in the UK. Then, their application is processed and the decision is made whether they are classified as a refugee or whether they are not.

You cannot just call someone a refugee from the outset.

With respect, you don't appear to understand the difference between a migrant, economic migrant, asylum seeker, and refugee.

You don’t like the answers to the polls, so the polls are asking the wrong questions…

Honestly Eskimo the attempt at spin explains exactly why GB News is right up your alley. The channel itself is nothing more than spin, an incredibly expensive troll job, and not even a good one at that.

• Advertisement

If you were to ask the UK population whether they support biological men entering women's sport, I know exactly what the results would be.

I support trans- rights, who doesn't? Very few.

But that's not the relevant question. What's relevant is how trans- rights infringes on women's rights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well, the "If I say X then I get called Y" trope has been done to death despite platforms everywhere parroting white nationalism, transphobia, disinformation, etc. Doesn't seem to stop them so I don't see what point you're making unless you don't like dissent.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

That's just a rant against GB News and myself without any evidence whatsoever.

It's why GB News was set up; to offer a genuine forum for debate on contentious matters and not to resort to petty jibes that may attract Likes, but which do not reflect reality.

Furthermore, I kindly asked you whether you would support 1.5 million Danes entering Ireland or 1.5 million Somalians? This is a question based on social values and mass immigration and the relationship between same. I've asked you before, but would appreciate if you would impart your opinion on the question.

Then thing is that the conspiracy theorists, ethnic nationalists and fascists can now get their fix any time they want 24/7 so that when Desperate Dan or Nodding Nigel come on GB News, it's already far too late. The edgelords have already gotten their fix about how they're the real victims, how the woke have somehow taken over and how any sort of differing opinion or debate is a threat.

I think they were hoping to hit both of those birds with the GB News stone. Instead, it hit neither and is now on its way to the bottom of the cultural cesspit.

You were given the stats that 47% were recognised upon initial review. That then went up further, you meanwhile continued to justify referring to them as economic migrants... So nope, not reasonable.

• Advertisement

I'm not a conspiracy theorist of any kind; in fact, I despise conspiracy theories. I'm certainly not a fascist; and I'd never describe myself as an ethnic nationalist.

Isn't this kind of language extreme?

You can be a common sense conservative without receiving this kind of abusive language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Of course. I'll echo David Mitchell and say that, as far as that's concerned, the internet has been a disaster. Every crackpot oddjob from Tubbercurry to Timbuktu can hear their ridiculous and absurd makey uppy "opinions" repeated back to them or massaged so they can feel that they are not alone in the world. These days the strange nutcase, who before would merely have himself to talk to all day, can go on the web and yap about their insane bullshit 24/7. Or sit in front of YouTube (or whatever) listening to other cracked minds, or even worse, the dangerous fuckers who use these poor individuals for gain and tell them all manner of nonsense to keep them involved.

As for "woke", the ONLY place I ever hear that stupid bloody term is on here. I could throw a million stones out the window and not hit a single other person who even knows what it is.

Well, quite clearly my views are the "opposition" of the majority on this thread, so why wouldn't I make the assumption that you may believe that there's some overlap between my views and the groups which you have described.

But if you don't think I'm linked to any of those three things, even better! 🤣

You cannot compare weirdos and oddjobs and creepy folk, and then lump them in with people who have genuine views on immigration etc.

The Internet has indeed produced extremes of both Left and Right, but you seem to suggest that anyone of the right who expresses any view on immigration controls must be lumped in with these racist extremists.

Earlier in this thread, you referred to me as a bigot.

There is no evidence that I'm a bigot.

If you're to make a personal attack like that, at least back it up with evidence.

You very much so are a bigot, your reaction to a refugee dying crossing the channel was referring to him as an "economic migrant". You've spent the thread in the last 24 hours ranting about Somalians and Egyptians. Upon completion of that pretty odd argument you moved on to taking potshots at trans people. This after spending 24 hours pretending that you were worried about homophobic refugees, you brought your own bigotry front and center.

So, arguing against the importation of homophobia and misogyny of people from Muslim-majority countries is now considered "bigoted"?

Yet, when Anne Widdecombe believes that a man should not be allowed to marry another man, that's also considered bigoted.

You just cannot win!

The evidence is all over this thread in your posts. Do us all a favour, stop with the incessant posting and go back and read them.

• Advertisement

But it's perfectly acceptable for you to refer to that victim as a refugee? What's the difference?

No because they don't represent the important parts of your first point, remember the sacking for taking the knee as an example, they try to stoke sh1t on the other points but again to pander to the type of people who are their target audience as previously stated . As for point two the majority of people aren't c*nts or mentally challenged, in other words their target audience, so hence don't tune into the channel as the viewership figures show regardless of how you try to fantasise about it being any different.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

You have already started your dislike for most ordinary working people on the thread, but that's most likely because they don't actually support the views you and GB News do.

Why would you want Le Pen to win given her desires on record to remove rights for homosexuals in France, at this stage it appears that you would be singing the praises of those leading you to the ovens 80 years ago as you do of those who would do the same today as long as they are white and Christian.

Both the examples you give, are examples of bigotry. The definition of bigotry -

obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, opinion, or faction, in particular prejudice against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

It isn’t a difficult concept to grasp. The examples you tried to use last night where you presented assumptions about people based upon their country of origin and asked another poster for their preference based upon your beliefs and prejudices, is bigotry. By definition that makes you a bigot.

It also appears to mean in your terms that you are a “common sense conservative”, though that appears to mean whatever you want it to mean based upon nothing more than just your objection to other people’s ideas, beliefs and values. You don’t appear to have an original idea of your own, rather like GB News.

GB News is not an original idea btw, Brass Eye was far more on point, but the thing about Brass Eye was it was always quality over quantity. They didn’t try to turn a satirical comedy show into an entertainment channel. They covered all sorts of moral panics which were popular at the time, whereas GB News is just a sad, second place effort where their hammy efforts are just far too obvious.

At this point the term woke just seems to be a term for anyone with a bit of intelligence and human decency, a handy word for those that don't have either to throw around as part of their tantrums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

There are immigration controls. The UK does control it's own borders. The likes of Farage like to scaremonger that there is some sort of mass invasion going on.

You talk as if there are no controls on immigration which is patently false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Theres always a quote.

'You do realize that every country in the world protects its borders from economic migrants?

You cannot just enter and live in the United States, for example.

There's nothing new, or xenophobic, about this policy. It has always been the case.'

The UK was impotent in controlling the numbers of migrants entering the country from southern and Eastern Europe. True, the UK has had complete control of migration from outside the EU. And 300-400,000 migrants entering each year may not technically be an invasion, but it's an awful lot of migrants to take in each and every year.

eskimo may I ask - is the discussion about GB News the tv channel, or is the discussion about the issues as you see them, raised on GB News?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

A thought experiment for EskimoHunt…

Would you rather import 1.5 million white Danes or 1.5million *black Danes and why?

*let’s assume there are 1.5million black Danes for the purpose of this thought experiment!

What matters is that they are Danes - almost all of whom, except a tiny minority, are in favour of progressive values for LGBT people and women. Whether they are black or white is irrelevant to me; it's the social values that I'm focussing on.

What I can say with absolute certainty on top of that answer, is that I'd take 1.5 million black Danes over 1.5 million Somalians for precisely the same reason.

My logic is colour blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

But surely those 1.5 million black Danes were a result of immigration to Denmark (perhaps from Somalia!?) and by your logic a few pages ago they must have brought their backward homophobic, sexist etc etc views with them, right?

So how do you know that almost all are in favour of progressive values for LGBT people and women? When did their backward views change, when they got to Denmark?

If that’s the case then there really is no issue as they all turn out to be progressive, LGBQ shorting wokeys eh once the emigrate!?

I was presented with a hypothetical, and I'd like to think I've answered it.

If, as per your modified hypothetical, those 1.5 million Somalians recently entered Denmark and were instantly handed passports, then unfortunately I'd have to restrict immigration from Denmark. Social values within an immigrant population do not change quickly. We'd need to exercise caution. Because I simply do not want mass immigration from a population with socially regressive and often depraved values.

The key difference here is this: I'm willing to answer all these hypotheticals - and I'm happy to do so. It's interesting that not one person has answered my original hypothetical.

Eh but you are against LGBT rights, especially the T section as per your posts here and on other threads, so why is it important now that the immigrants believe in something that you don't and actively wail against.

The last sentence is also clearly not true again from what you have said here.

My belief is that trans- has nothing to do with sexuality, so trans- politics tars the LGB component by association.

Therefore, the two should be divorced - and quickly.

How you've construed that classification to mean I'm "anti-LGBT" is arrant nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So you get to choose what part of the LGBT community should get recognition and the bits you don't like should be ignored.

You wish to ignore the rights of the T people, maybe you should move to Somalia, you would fit right in.

Trans people already have rights. Nobody is arguing to take them away. But women's rights are most certainly under threat from trans ideology.

Does anyone seriously believe that biological men should be allowed to compete with women at the Olympics? Where is the concern for women's rights?

That, and other reasons, is why I think a swift divorce between LGB and T is necessary. It doesn't mean that rights should be taken away for either group, but it also means that trans rights should not infringe women's rights (or anyone else's rights for that matter).

Importing 1.5 million Somalians would damage both women's rights and LGB-T rights, though.

That much is certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So far we have you on here attacking the rights of the LGBT community, we have obviously racist remarks from you in relation to Somalians and on another thread you are calling for EU citizens (Roma gypsies) who are legally entitled to be in the country to be deported.

I'm starting to wonder will you be attacking the Jews next? There was a wee lad from Austria a few years back had the same ideas as you.

You are, the transgender community have a pretty rich history in the LGBT community, the reality is that you hold highly conservative and regressive views about transgender people. LGBT has include both gender and sexuality so nobody was claiming being transgender is a sexuality. It's representative of groups that have been discriminated against or continue to be. Thankfully, LGB only groups are a minority cause most people have the sense to remember that transgender or non gender conforming people were a huge part of the LGBT movement.

You can't write parts of a movement out of a complex history that led us to the present.

Your statements on here and other threads, would show it isn't nonsense, or are you going with the I never said what I said argument again

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement