Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Why do you keep pushing this red herring of mass immigration.

There is no uncontrolled mass immigration to either UK or Ireland.

Typical Farage type tactic, invent a problem then rail against it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He did his usual mealy-mouthed thing he does where he refuses to give any sort of genuine answer, deflects and says absolutely nothing but you can clearly tell where he's sitting on it. I actually find this sort of disingenuous contorting much more irritating than overt denial of the science.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I've no idea what Peterson believes, I consider him to be a right-wing grifter who knows exactly what he's doing.

That aside, I always tackle the climate question on two fronts: first, that we should consider it inevitable regardless and that we should engage with that reality rather than try to avoid it. Second, that we should engage in eco-acts not because they are beneficial for preventing global warming but because they are better for everyone in the here and now, both for the environment and local ecology. This is what matters to most electorates - the here and now, not the future. Better to convince electorates on local matters that affect them now, rather than try to convince them of policy that will affect the climate and generation of 2100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Peterson is off the wall loves listening to himself he lost me when he started dog whistling describing the Nazis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I read the book, 12 rules and he keeps banging on and on and on about Stalin, the gulags, the kulaks. Hitler and the Holocaust are never mentioned, if they are at all. For a man whose precise with his words, I find this quite revealing.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

It's pretty depressing, actually.

Peterson is lauded not because he offers explanation, but because he offers a non-explanation that nobody else understands. It's almost like some mad scientist in a university talking to students. For all the students know, this scientist is the next Einstein. After all, they don't have the knowledge needed to disprove the claims made by the mad scientist. To put it colloquially, if an expert is talking shite, how can you know? And so the myth grows that this scientist is incredibly intelligent; nobody can really work out what he means, and so the respect level ratchets up a notch or two.

And psychology itself is a weak science, in and of itself. There is very weak objectivity in psychology compared to other sciences, such as chemistry. All in all, he capitalized - financially - on his opposition to gender identity, and I think what followed - the religious cult almost - is a near permanent overhang. And asking a Channel 4 presenter not to contradict herself is hardly a pinnacle of the intellect in human civilisation.

Over-rated; somewhat arrogant and conceited; and doesn't really provide any original thoughts apart from telling young men to grow up - which is what we already knew to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I agree unless people see the earth actually on fire in real time they will deny it’s happening . Unless they see benefits immediately they will do nothing to prevent it. The pandemic has shown up what we are like as a species.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Weirdly this is probably the best definition of Petersons content I've ever seen, even if there are bits of this post that were unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I can’t sleep for having nightmares about the product of conjugal relations between Nigel Farage and Anne Widdecombe, but in any case, 1.5m Anne Widdecombes or 1.5m Nigel Farages, is NOT the same as 1.5m Somali (as you’ve previously incorrectly referred to them as Somalians), precisely because of the fact that while they are Somali, it doesn’t follow that all 1.5m of them are clones.

In any case, your thought experiment if it wasn’t silly enough already (eg: are you referring to ethnically British Somali or some other ethnicity within Somalia?), ignores the fact that political commentators such as Anne Widdecombe and Nigel Farage, what little influence they do have in UK society, it is STILL far more influence than the influence of 1.5m Somali immigrants combined.

One (and only one!) might maybe get a spot in front of camera on GB News to signal “we’re not xenophobic, homophobic, racist asshats, here’s a Somali immigrant who shares our opinions”, in the same way they parade their other token diversity hires such as Dan Wooton (money isn’t his motivation, he’s just happy to be there!), for the cameras.

Like Dan, they might even squeeze you in for a spot considering you’re such a wealthy fellow yourself who doesn’t need the cash (which is a good thing, because GB News doesn’t have any), you could co-host the show with your favourite presenter and all! Still can’t predict it would do much to shore up their dismal financial outlook, but it would be nothing if not entertaining in a… sadomasochistic sense at least. Someone, somewhere, among their 600 viewers (among a population of 65m people), is getting off on it 🤔

Now I DEFINITELY won’t sleep 😒

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

To be fair to psychology, science relies heavily on measurable metrics. When there is so much subjectivity and a lack of said metrics, it becomes impossible to establish an exact science. Nutrition is a bit similar in that you'd have to imprison human beings and dictate their diets to get anything objective. Some disciplines have to make the best of what they have to work with.

• Advertisement

The British and Suez never did have a good history.

Guido has heard a rumour that the reason GB News’ set was primitive at launch is the result of a few delivery issues; namely, that their more sophisticated tech got stuck in transit after the Ever Given container ship managed to lodge itself in the Suez Canal for almost a week – and was then held by the Egyptian authorities until a multi-million compensation deal was agreed. Although the ship was freed by early April, it only arrived in Britain two weeks ago – just in time for GB News’ big September relaunch, maybe…

That's not even desperate. That's a whole new level of pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I heard a rumour that Guido Fawkes likes to tickle hens.

I will not reveal who gave me that information in order to protect this whistleblower's identity.

Pretty sure that won't make their content better...

If there is to be a "September relaunch", which has been mooted for quite some time now, that's very encouraging news.

Perhaps they have some new big name presenters lined up to join the channel.

From the Evening Standard:

With an exhausted GB News chairman Andrew Neil taking an R&R break in France, and senior executives John McAndrew and Gill Penlington having walked out, Angelos Frangopoulos, its bullish Australian chief executive, has seized the editorial reins and is overseeing plans for a widespread refresh of the output in September. Having brought his family to England, he is living out of a hotel to maximise his working hours. “He’s had enough of where it was going and put his foot on the accelerator,” says one source. “He really needs this to work.”

Frangopoulos seems to be drawing on the playbook of Right-wing channel Sky News Australia, which he built by hiring firebrand politicians. Nigel Farage has been parachuted into a peak schedule which Neil, the channel’s figurehead, has temporarily abandoned.

It really is the epitome of ‘bad carpenter blames his tools’.

No amount of technology would make the lack of content any more enticing to anyone than it isn’t already.

Farage in 8K will still be Farage.

Speaking of which, last night was the highest viewership for Farage on YouTube; reaching a peak of almost 2,500 people.

The interview with Jacob-Rees Mogg alone has amassed almost 100,000 views in less than 24-hours. I've no doubt that last night Farage must have pulled substantial numbers on the channel itself. Hopefully, we can get the exact figures later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Another relaunch? They'll have only been on air for three months!

That's very normal for many businesses, though.

You test the waters initially, see what's working and what doesn't work, and see where things can move to the next level.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t consider their figures for their online presence anything special eskimo tbh. I know it’s exciting and all to see the figures go up, but it’s a tv channel, not a YouTube channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well, let's hope that he re-invites Anne Widdecombe on for Talking Pints.

There are people who livestream niche strategy titles very few have heard of who'll reliably hit this mark. GB News' household name Nigel Farage presenting their biggest show barely hitting this mark is pathetic given the resources they have compared to the Youtubers' one man operations.

Fair play to you eskimo for having a sense of humour about it at least, that genuinely did make me laugh, thoughts of it, Jesus 😁

Anne Widdecombe in 8K makes me glad I'll never own a TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Are the GBNews still going on about YT figures? The desperation reeks. and even those figures are pathetic. Unboxing videos for kids toys get many many multiples of them.

At least he called it a "news channel". He got something right.

This is a serious question for fans of GB news.

Why do we need another news station. I can currently watch RTE, BBC, Channel 4, Sky for basic news not to mention raft of politics shows such as newsnight, prime time, question time to name a few. All of which have guests from all sides of opinion. At one stage Farage was never of the TV. I have seen plenty of pro Brexit, anti immigrantion guests over the years, they're not been silenced.

I have heard loads of debates about Covid where very different opinions were presented and discussed.

Why is another news station needed?

We have never been better served by media. That's not even counting Radio, or print media.

A news channel with a self proclaimed bias is not news it is opinion.

But when you only had RTE, BBC, and Channel 4, if Sky News were commissioned thereafter, would you really have made the same argument?

Diversity is a good thing, I think.

And just to add, we're not anti-immigration, we're pro-controlled migration.

• Advertisement

Sky news wasn't commissioned with a self proclaimed idealogical position. My point is if you want to be informed on a raft of domestic and international issues you are well served by current media outlets.

What does GB news offer, that is not already available?

By the way majority of people are pro controlled immigration, that is the laws we live under, which democratically elected govts uphold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

GB News have been so successful it requires a relaunch.....is the logic.

It appears as though controlled immigration in common sense conservative language, means reducing the number of emigrants from other countries to zero, so that there’s no risk of them becoming immigrants, anywhere.

Then maintain that control over other countries borders to keep the number of escapees emigrants immigrants at zero 🤔

Relaunches can refresh and revitalize a brand or signify the adoption of a new direction or other innovation.

GB News is a brand new TV station in the 21st century targeted at people with social media and smartphones. A bit like trying to sell horses as an alternatives to cars.

Can you point me to some other stations that relaunched after only 3 months on the air?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A second relaunch, as the Farage show starting was one already (there were multiple schedule adjustments for it)

Maybe GB News will prove everyone wrong and demonstrate that they CAN actually polish a turd?

It’s still a turd, no matter what trickery is used to make it sparkle ✨

We don't require a precedent because what GB News provides in the UK is unprecedented.

They have entered no man's land. It's entirely predictable that they will adjust what works, and readjust what hasn't worked. Introducing new ideas to the channel is always worthwhile. And announcing a relaunch is also an effective way to make headlines and attract viewers at that time of relaunch to see what's new.

Let's be honest though, if you need to be told that you're being replaced with an African, the government is going to take your child and remove their gender, Christmas is being replaced with extra Ramadan or whatever today's scaremongering lines are, you're going to get it from Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Instagram or whatever. You're not waiting to tune into a news station of all things.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's very normal for many businesses, though.

Your "business credentials" are showing again..

Having to relaunch and rebrand less than 3 months after you started is NOT normal under any circumstances.

Sure , there will be tweaks , a few schedule changes here and there. But based on the information available , this is a root and branch rebuild.

That is because what they have right now has thus far been a complete and total failure.

Doubling down on the shouty fact free crap that you get from Sky News Australia will simply not work either.

What this rebrand does tell us though is that the money behind GB News are demanding a return. They aren't going to get one frankly.

At best this is the dead-cat bounce for GB News.

As an aside is Australian broadcasting subject to similar "balance" rules as are currently in place in the UK?

• Advertisement

Except this is blatantly untrue. Hateful, bile-spewing, tax-dodging tabloids have been a staple of the media here for decades now. GB News does nothing new except for providing a case study in the withering of traditional media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Its not a News channel, it does not 'do' the news, its a tv station that gives an opnion on the News (or whatever scare mongering shite it thinks might be news)

How is GB news unprecedented.

It claims to be a reputable news channel, what exactly is unprecedented about that.

Are you saying it's not a news channel? Is that the "unprecedented part"

That's more sounding like they did no market research and are suffering the consequences as a result. So nope, not a normal scenario.

They clearly have a market.

If 157,000 people are willing to tune into Nigel Farage, there's something at play.

The question is how to replicate those kinds of figure throughout the channel.

For example: if fans of Farage don't like Michelle Dewberry, they're not going to watch her program irrespective of whether she is saying the right things.

The market is there. How to cater for that market and create the optimum channel experience is rather a different question.

"They're not going to watch her program irrespective of whether she is saying the right things"

Sounds a bit like "groupthink" to me. So much for a new independent voice.

That's missing my point.

It doesn't matter who is saying the right things (or even disagreeable things).

If viewers don't find the show entertaining or believe that it doesn't provide value for the time invested, they won't tune in regardless. To harness the full might of the prospective market, you need to cater to the needs of the target viewing population. A TV show has to be more than just saying things people agree with; it must provide surplus value in some recognisable way. That surplus value could come by means of humour, or entertainment value, or simply presenting style / originality.

This principle applies to all forms of broadcasting, and GB News is no exception.

To give a personal account, there is a presenter on GB News called Nana Akua. I don't care how anti-woke she may be, or even if she had identical views to Nigel Farage; her show is not entertaining and she is an outright, utter bore. That's what I mean by saying that you need more than just political values that you agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

There clearly isn't a market though judging by the viewing figures for the rest of the content.

Sure, Farage is a draw for those that want to see him. They would watch him regularly on Sky or BBC if he landed a slot.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

But there really isn't "something at play" - 150k watching Farage simply isn't enough to pay the bills.

Also - He's not getting 150k+ consistently , he was pulling only a little more than half that number for most of last week.

Very soon he'll run out of "names" willing to go on the show to chat - It's not a big list , he was already down to Jim Davidson a week or to ago.

So he either starts recycling the guests or he goes for lower and lower profile ones , probably a bit of both. Neither will be good for ratings.

There isn't any other Talking head with sufficient draw in the UK that would touch GB News with a barge pole so he's the high water mark in terms of viewers. Every other show will have less viewers than him , and in the grand scheme of things , his average numbers just aren't great.

Sky News has nearly 4 times as many viewers as GB News currently and it isn't close to profitable.

News Channels don't make money , Niche "News" channels have even less chance.

As many here have been saying since day one - GB News will only be on air as long as it's financial backers are willing to burn money keeping it there, it will never be self-funding - ever.

• Advertisement

This sentence for me sums up everything that is wrong with GB news.

"A TV show has to be more than just saying things people agree with"

Is that what GB news is about? That statement with a bit of entertainment thrown in, because that is absolutely not what a news show should be about.

I don't watch primetime or newsnight to hear people I agree with, I want to hear debates. I want diverse arguments put forward even when have my own opinion formed.

We should at least drop the word "news" from the station.

If it's purpose is to "say things people agree with" (with entertainment of course) that is the polar opposite of what news should be.

There are numerous YouTube channels doing that, I thought "GB news" (I'm using the word news loosely) at least pretended to be a news channel. You seem to have given up that pretense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement