Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Same reason i have a flick through the times and telegraph most days. Not much I'll agree with, plenty that will make my blood boil, but it's supposed to be a good thing to engage with opposite sides, no? Else we stick with our own tried and trusted and get accused of living in an echo chamber so, either way, you can't really win.

The other thing is mere idle curiosity, Andrew Neil is a heavyweight of the UK media landscape, among other things, so why wouldn't anyone with more than a cursory interest in UK politics and culture want to check this latest offering out? I'm sure they can and will improve things but my stand out impression of the stuff i watched last night was of how cheap and dull it came across.

Annasopra wrote: »
    So worth a watch you get his name wrong
    Andrew Doyle is another presenter on the station, along with Andrew Neil.

The other thing is mere idle curiosity, Andrew Neil is a heavyweight of the UK media landscape, among other things, so why wouldn't anyone with more than a cursory interest in UK politics and culture want to check this latest offering out? I'm sure they can and will improve things but my stand out impression of the stuff i watched last night was of how cheap and dull it came across.

...because of woke arrogance that says they know everything they need to know, and nothing more.

Coupled with their obsession with using the phrase "right wing" to describe and dismiss anything they disagree with - as if "right wing" is somehow a bad thing.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Coupled with their obsession with using the phrase "right wing" to describe and dismiss anything they disagree with - as if "right wing" is somehow a bad thing.

Similar to how right wingers use ‘woke lefty’ as a slur for people they disagree with, as if left wing is somehow a bad thing.

Of course people who are right wing are the only victims though.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Similar to how right wingers use ‘woke lefty’ as a slur for people they disagree with, as if left wing is somehow a bad thing.

Of course people who are right wing are the only victims though.

Woke is not synonymous with being on the Left of politics. Many of those who reside on the centre-left, for example, would not be subscribers to what is known as wokeism.

So the comparison fails, spectacularly.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Woke is not the same as Lefty. Many of those who reside on the centre-left, for example, would not be subscribers to what is known as wokeism.

So the comparison fails, spectacularly.

Not at all. You can try worm your way out of it but the right-left wing nonsense works both ways.

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Woke is not synonymous with being on the Left of politics. Many of those who reside on the centre-left, for example, would not be subscribers to what is known as wokeism.
    Like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just stuck it on there for a watch. I generally have sky news on in the background while working so it's an interesting change.

My initial take is that there's some face recognition with the guy in the studio but the quality is awful. There's a slight misalignment between picture and audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How long before the start interviewing Tommy Robinson?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

What an ugly bunch. I thought they'd have lots of leggy women in mini-dresses like Fox News do. There seems to be some antipathy towards physical attractiveness in the psyche of the British wing-nut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

grassylawn wrote: »
    What an ugly bunch. I thought they'd have lots of leggy women in mini-dresses like Fox News do. There seems to be some antipathy towards physical attractiveness in the psyche of the British wing-nut.

Not that it's relevant in assessing the calibre of a news channel, but Mercy Muroki is ridiculously beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

RWCNT wrote: »
    Not that it's relevant in assessing the calibre of a news channel, but Mercy Muroki is ridiculously beautiful.
    It's relevant in assessing the calibre of this sort of channel though. They're going for all indignation and forgetting to mix in titillation.

Their viewers will get anger fatigue, instead of being able to switch back and forth between that and ****.

Nigel Farage just retweeted the latest statistics - and it seems GB News came out on top (Farage appeared at 9.45pm last night).

GB News is here to stay. About time we had a right of centre channel to add much needed balance to the tilted UK news landscape.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1404363689025847296

grassylawn wrote: »
    It's relevant in assessing the calibre of this sort of channel though. They're going for all indignation and forgetting to mix in titillation.

Their viewers will get anger fatigue, instead of being able to switch back and forth between that and ****.

But hiring ugly birds would be inclusive and they can't have that.

Nigel Farage just retweeted the latest statistics - and it seems GB News came out on top (Farage appeared at 9.45pm last night).

GB News is here to stay. About time we had a right of centre channel to add much needed balance to the tilted UK news landscape.

Id fully expect them to be in to at leady until the novelty factor wears off.

After that is when it gets interesting.

You can fool all of the people some of the time or...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭archfi

Annasopra wrote: »
    So worth a watch you get his name wrong

Pardon me?
    I doubt you'll reply.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

That stuff about the looks is as vile as what you'd hear from any right-wing misogynist. Also, plenty looked very well to me.

Not at all. You can try worm your way out of it but the right-left wing nonsense works both ways.

Really?

Is that why a self-professed centre-left poster agreed with me:
    Lurleen wrote: »
    Like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

as if left wing is somehow a bad thing.

..but it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Woke is not synonymous with being on the Left of politics.

Correct, it isn't. In fact, I'd argue that the majority of this "woke" crowd wouldn't be able to muster an argument for a left wing ideal if their life depended on it. They are usually molly coddled middle classers that have latched onto some cause-de-jour and that's usually about it.

However, that doesn't stop those on the right from using the term as a pejorative against "the left" at every opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Well of course they came out tops!!
    Everyone tuned in to see what it was like.
    Come back in a few months time when everything has settled down. It also depends how right of right it goes.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Correct, it isn't. In fact, I'd argue that the majority of this "woke" crowd wouldn't be able to muster an argument for a left wing ideal if their life depended on it. They are usually molly coddled middle classers that have latched onto some cause-de-jour and that's usually about it.

However, that doesn't stop those on the right from using the term as a pejorative against "the left" at every opportunity.

I agree, but I do try to make the distinction between the cancer of wokeism versus moderate Leftism.

What we need is a return to sensible and pragmatic Blairism, and leave all this neo-Marxism and Wokeism behind.

Though I say this as a disciple of the Right.

I agree, but I do try to make the distinction between the cancer of wokeism versus moderate Leftism.

What we need is a return to sensible and pragmatic Blairism, and leave all this neo-Marxism and Wokeism behind.

Though I say this as a disciple of the Right.

Well, this is where we'll find much disagreement. Blairism is a cancer too. It's very much a neo-Liberal model and something I would find pretty repulsive about modern politics in general.

Well, this is where we'll find much disagreement. Blairism is a cancer too. It's very much a neo-Liberal model and something I would find pretty repulsive about modern politics in general.

Not Blairism of the late 90s or early 2000s.

But what you might call neo-Blairism; a centre-left moderate, pragmatic approach that meets the political needs of the Britain of today. And preferably a form of Blairism that embraces Brexit and the Old Left vote they left behind.

The anti-Capitalist brand of Leftism will never fly in the UK. It is futile to try, as Corbyn has managed to do.

Not Blairism of the late 90s or early 2000s.

But what you might call neo-Blairism; a centre-left moderate, pragmatic approach that meets the political needs of the Britain of today. And preferably a form of Blairism that embraces Brexit and the Old Left vote they left behind.

The anti-Capitalist brand of Leftism will never fly in the UK. It is futile to try, as Corbyn has managed to do.

Neither Tony Blair nor the "Blairites" would have truly embraced Brexit. Blairism heavily coincides with the EU's own Neo-Liberal attitudes.

Also, there is no real "anti-Capitalist" Left anywhere these days. Certainly nothing approaching the levers of power. The vast majority of the Left have long since realised that Capitalism is an integral part of any nation's economic systems and they operate more in a Social Democrat sphere than the 19th Century caricature they are often painted as.

However, it's the rampant, laissez fare Capitalism that most on the Left (and some on the Right too) would be firmly against. The likes of "too big to fail" concepts would, quite rightly, gain the ire of most of those on the Left. For obvious reasons. Capitalism needs to be controlled if society is to get the best out of it and without that control, it only ends up benefiting the very few at the expense of the many.

Anyway, we're way off topic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fQGsiZB4dQ

I'm a bit disaponted it's not an actual rolling news channel. It would have been intersteing to contrast thier output to Sky and BBC, i.e. what stories they would lead with, include or omit, and how they would spin a news event in compariston to the other stations.

If it's all just group discussion and interviews then I think It's something I'd only dip into now and again. Only so much of that I can take and it's a bit time consuming.

This is it - you get these morons that use 'left' as if it meant something negative, while at the same time wouldn't be and to define a realistic left-wing policy without going to extremes or being condescending about it to save their lives.

They're just as ignirant as the woke crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They set and sound need some work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cant find it on me telly....

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    ..but it is...
    Leftwing is no worse than right-wing.

Far left/right or extreme left/right is another story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement