Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anti-capitalist? Those Scots sound great. Where do I sign? We've given capitalism a go and it went a bit nuts; time for a rethink.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd describe myself as a Capitalist who believes that Capitalism needs a rework if it is to survive. These shrill accusations from Neil would have meant something a few decades ago when Capitalism was bringing big benefits to enough people. Now, it's working for fewer and fewer so all these hysterics do is demonstrate what a weak position their corporatist ideology is in. They're not setting themselves up for the future as that would mean less unearned wealth for their 1% pals so we get this tripe.

Not a fan but I did like this from Sacha Baron Coen:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh yeah, to be clear I'm exactly where I am because of capitalism, I'm not naive; before any boilerplate "lefties are crusty unemployed" refrain pops up; I'm financially comfortable because the market deems my work valuable - but I'm the lucky one. I realise as a 41 year old I peaked at the right period, ultimately. And I will always be happy giving said good fortune back into the pot.

It is noteworthy about Neil's screed and others of that ilk: the generations at play here. A mix of Boomers and Gen X (I think), who made their lucre back when capitalism seemed like the True Faith. These people like to sneer at lazy, feckless millennials or Gen Z, yet the young are facing not just a global recession but now a pandemic, while a globalised world has stripped away the very concepts of job security or former, bedrock industries. And as you say, the wealth gap has only increased, power now in the hands of fewer and fewer. A simple monopoly feels positively quaint. And I'm not even sure where you square things in 10 years time against increased automation and ballooning world population; the latter hastening climate collapse IMO. The centre can't hold.

Not sure where I was heading with this TBH. Jesus that was a bit stream of consciousness. Apologies.

To bring it back to the here and now; I like Scotland's brand these days. They're trying to bring some of that continental social democracy to the fore (to these eyes), and is a marked contrast to the direction shown by leadership down south. Neil cuts the figure of a bitter, sad man who may not die in poverty, but will do so irrelevant, too stubborn to understand a world that left him behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,573 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's gas.

I've never heard "Marxist" or "Communist" mentioned so much as I have in the last 5 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Agreed and considering Neil cut his teeth as a journalist during the cold war and it's closing, you'd imagine he'd actually know what it means.

The race to label anything remotely equitable and socially responsible as Marxism or communism is one of the very worst imports of culture war BS imo.

It takes a specifically American fear and misunderstanding of social democracy and labels it as the red under the bed.

God be with the days of the official IRA and republican Marxism 😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think the problem is that a lot of people have attributed various international problems to capitalism and decided, accordingly that capitalism must go. Rather than offer strong or even logical arguments, conservatives have resorted to histrionics rather than adapt when it comes to issues like climate change and wealth inequality.

Ironically, as the man who's waving the flag for it here, I'm living in a city in which there's no realistic chance I'll ever own a stake in bouncing from contract to contract. Not a bad existence but it's wanting somewhat in terms of long term prospects.

As for the centre holding, that stopped being the case some time ago. Social democracy has been battered and beaten all across Europe with only proportional systems preserving its existence at all in countries where this exists. One need only look at the current UK and its government to see the alternative.

Speaking of which, Sturgeon and the SNP have done a marvellous job of crafting a positive brand for independence. They're willing to compromise on areas like the monarchy and the currency while standing firm on issues like Faslane. Neil to me is a perfect symbol of the intellectual rot that has infected modern conservatism. When once you'd expect sound, reality-based arguments we now see the shrill drivel I linked to above because they simply have nothing else.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Fair play to Karl cause half the planet is Marxist now apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I blame those bloody Marxist kneeling millionaire footballers 😉

Its like the term woke, and given those that use them at this rate it just means someone who isn't a c*nt, has a bit of human decency and aren't stupid enough to be a viewer of GBNews and similar grifters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,574 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They're willing to compromise on areas like the monarchy and the currency while standing firm on issues like Faslane.

I think they're wrong on all three but if I was in Scotland I'd still vote for 'em!

They've got the rUK by the short 'n' curlies in regard to Faslane so they can pretty much name their price, it sustains thousands of well paid jobs too. Less than a handful of suitable alternative sites exist in rUK and they'd all cost many billions and many years to bring into operation.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's interesting that with no Farage on GB News, the thread has gone silent , almost as if outside his 1hr show absolutely no one is watching...

Anyway - BARB metrics updated and the downward trend for GB News continues and that is for the week before Farage went on "holiday".

Also - Just looking at their schedule , why are they still calling it "The Andrew Neil Show" when any number of "guest" presenters have presented more Andrew Neil shows than the man himself??

Also - Man it that schedule light -

They basically have about 6 shows - A 3 hr breakfast show , a 3hr morning show followed by a 4hr Afternoon show, then a couple of 1 hour shows followed by Farage and the Andrew "Replacement bus service" Neil show then you have Dan Wooton until midnight and then repeats of the same shows.

That's it - Every single day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Is Farage still on holiday? I thought he was only taking a week off?

He often says things he doesn't mean in fairness.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

they didn't even have Dan Wooton one of the nights, and didn't advertise the change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that must have been a nice surprise for his viewer.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yep - Schedule is still Farage - Neil - Wooton every night even though at least 2 out of those 3 aren't there at present.

Their weekly schedule is identical every single day repeated off into infinity - Doesn't exactly read as compelling to be honest.

To be fair - 24hr "news" channels never are , I don't think I've ever watched more than a few minutes at a time for any of them barring during a specific major news event.

I sat for several hours watching CNN and others on January 6th for example , but doubt I've watched more than a cumulative hour of any of them since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And people simultaneously talking about 'cancel culture' while introducing legislation to prevent the teaching of history with an accurate historical perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Rawr

Went to the effort to check their Youtube page (Now the damned algorithm will probably spit nonsense at me for a while...crap)

Looks like he did come back. There's a video with him talking about the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan (which I didn't bother listening to) which means it was probably from after his "break". I guess he'll keep plodding along with GB News for a while...possibly until the pay-checks run out.

he isn't back doing his show though, is he? He was supposed to be taking only a week off. You can't tell from their schedule when he is coming back. They still have the Andrew Neil show listed though he hasn't appeared in weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Rawr

From the very brief look I had at the YouTube channel he appeared to be at GB News desk when he was talking about the Kabul withdrawal. It would suggest that he's back, but I can't bring myself to actually watch the channel to find out for sure :P

If he is actually back, it could be that he'll linger for a while longer...perhaps to see what this "relaunch" will bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,295 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Given that he's the only one bringing in viewers, I imagine the relaunch will be:

6am-9am GB Breakfast with Farage

9am-12pm Farage-ternoon

12pm-1pm Napping with Nigel

1pm-4pm Dewbs & Co (but Co is Nigel Farage)

4pm-6pm Local News, local to wherever Farage is

6pm-7pm News Roundup while Farage just sits in the background

7pm-8pm Talking Pints with Nigel Farage (if it ain't broke...)

8pm-9pm The Andrew Neil Show with Colin Brazier with Nigel Farage

9pm-12am The Big Question with Dan Woot... nah just kidding, it's Nigel Farage

I don't think he's back doing his show , I think he recorded a segment on Afghanistan specifically.

But like you said , not really interested in tuning in the channel to confirm one way or the other.

If only he worked that hard (or at all) as an MEP.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

More off topic posts deleted

Just to repeat - the topic is GB News and not it's underlying stories. Nor is it a thread to discuss other users. There will be no more warnings about this. Ignoring the warnings will result in sanction including threadbans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Hateful Christian supports repeatedly breaking sixth commandment. I suppose going forward, GB News will just have to recycle the same guests over and over again.

Aaaggh don't be making me picture Widdecombe commiting adultery repeatedly.

I think it's the 5th that you meant

Nope. The 6th is the one that prohibits murder.

• Advertisement

well that depends on your religion. For protestants and jews it is 6th. For catholics it is the 5th. Now excuse me while I go and bleach my brain to remove the thought widdicombe and adultery.

Now for the weather from a retired darts player....

Also impressed at all the posters who know the number for commandments.... :D

Or in my case how to spell Google.

I see Andrew Neil has extended his holiday too

I'd love to see one, genuinely researched and unbiased report that even vaguely hints that the death penalty is a useful deterrent to murder. AS opposed to the many reports that show the "scared straight" or institutional viciousness doesn't recidivism. It only ever feels like a thin veneer of intellectualism from those who just want to punish, a resting sense of embittered bloodlust against the Wrong 'Uns; usually cherry-picking some faraway hill that confirms that bias. Singapore has no crime! Japan has 98% prosecution rate! without ever having the matching intellectual curiosity to find out why those countries have such amazing stats - and that the truth might be more complicated than "kill 'em all and let god decide".

• Advertisement

you have to admit that the death penalty is great for recidivism stats.

The cruelty is the point. That's all it's about. Same reason for the xenophobia, racism and hatred shown towards welfare claimants.

Oh sure, which is why America has such a famously low recidivism rate of ... **wikis** Jesus, 43%. Or is it just they're not killing enough criminals?

True enough, it's always the most performative Christians who are the cruellest, most vicious towards their fellows.

I'm impressed with somebody who can commit further crimes after execution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

In the addled abandoned barn that widdecombe calls a brain that is probably true but in reality unless your are really blood thirsty it doesn't touch recidivism stats at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I suspect in retrospect, when the shutters invariably fall on this experiment in failing to read a market, this thread will have yielded both more entertainment and balanced discussion than the titular channel itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Ye'll all be laughing at the other side of your face when we get the next update on YouTube views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If EH is reading, to put into context views, this thread has had 131k views but probably (at best) 100 unique posters.

It's all about punching down as hard as possible to try to ignore how hard you are being punched down yourself.

Scrap the cap!

Neil has destroyed his reputation and I don't think it'll ever recover. Tremendous lack of judgement on his part.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anne_Widdecombe

I happened to tune in this evening and learned that Mark Dolan was presenting.

I rapidly switched channel, not least because I dislike the volcanic shape of Dolan's forehead/hair. I find it very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,573 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's been my experience that the most vocal and self proclaimed "Christians", whether Catholic or Protestant, are usually the most un-Christian people that I've met. They, quite often, are the ones who'll look down their noses at "undesirables" and generally will have the most appalling views regarding their fellow man. While at the same time exhibiting a rather lofty regard for themselves and their church going, god fearing, masquerade.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement