Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth it to build a bike vs buy it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I was thinking of wheels in particular given how easy (comparatively speaking) they are to move on. To answer your question, if they were the wheels I wanted and 400E was the cheapest online, I'd jump at 300E for a brand new set without guarantee.

Everyone loves a bargain, and good ones don't hang around. It might even be something you could line up in advance. Let's say you wanted a frame - you could have buyers for the wheels and groupset lined up pre-purchase. You'd surely find a few vultures to pick over the remainder of the carcass for bars/stem/saddle etc.

Are you looking at something specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Weepsie wrote: »
    Now it was a year of getting the parts. So that's obviously a big factor
    This is your main factor IMO. If you want to build a bike and you want it next week, you will find it very difficult to beat an off-the-shelf on price.

However, if you're willing to wait around for sales, you can do really well for yourself. Especially around this time of year as shops are trying clear out old stock. You can usually get frames, forks and groupsets that are brand new but two years old at half price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that actually half price though? i think that ultegra has always been about that price. i was quoted €800ish (i think!) for R8000 soon after it came out, from my LBS, not an online seller.
    did a quick search, the first four returns for ultegra list it at roughly between 700 and 800 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

fat bloke wrote: »
    Everyone loves a bargain, and good ones don't hang around. It might even be something you could line up in advance. Let's say you wanted a frame - you could have buyers for the wheels and groupset lined up pre-purchase. You'd surely find a few vultures to pick over the remainder of the carcass for bars/stem/saddle etc.

Are you looking at something specific?

Half looking at wide clearance road bike but from what I've seen would look to move wheels on.

Advertisement