Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What T V series from the 90s would you like to see be redone again?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Balmed Out wrote: »
    loved Space Above and Beyond, from my recollection its main problem was it was so expensive to make. Not sure if 90's or a few years out but Firefly series (movie serenity) was also a favorite.

Space Above and Beyond was carrier warfare in the Pacific in WWII re wrapped. Space Marines.

Firefly series 2 yeah that would be good. But a very hard cast to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

If done right yes but otherwise no. If Scott came back to do it and maybe pass the torch on that might be ok. He was perfect for that show. It's a pity he could not work his magic on Enterprise.
    Strumms wrote: »
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/knight_rider_2008

Did it in 2008 and it flopped big time. Hasslehoff wasn’t involved. The new car looked meh... the acting beyond hammy, storylines laughable... only lasted a few episodes.
    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Night rider.

Only if it was done right and with a cool car. That rebooted one from 2008 was terrible.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'm in two minds about mentioning Bablyon 5... I loved it but it was a troubled production at times, cast member changes etc
    Would be curious to see what a new generation would do with the Vorlons, Shadows, Minbari, Centauri, Narn et al

It would probably be worse.
    Gatling wrote: »
    Battlestar Galactica got a fairly decent reboot , apparently it's getting another reboot next year

Yes that's true.
    Tony EH wrote: »
    Not too sure that I'd like to see any TV shows from the past resurrected tbh. When they do try, they usually make a balls of it. They've tried necromancy on 'The Twilight Zone' since the 80's and it's been awful each time, including the latest. 'Battlestar Galactica' wasn't as great as some people like to suggest either. There are numerous shows you could point to as examples of failed reboots.

But, in any case, if you actually look back at a lot (an awful lot) of TV shows of the past they just aren't as good as you remember them. 'Knightrider', 'Streethawk', 'Airwrolf', 'The A Team' (I can't think of any 90's TV shows ATM), they're all pretty terrible, and if made today they would last a single series.

I spose if there's one I had to choose, it would be 'Ulysses 31' (yeh, it's the 80's I know). But done completely straighfaced. That means no No-No or other annoying crap.

Yes that Ulysses 31 would be cool especially if it was live action. I watched that as a kid and loved it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

loved Space Above and Beyond, from my recollection its main problem was it was so expensive to make. Not sure if 90's or a few years out but Firefly series (movie serenity) was also a favorite.

Firefly was the first thing that popped in to my mind when I saw this thread 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I haven't read back on the thread but for me it has to be The Bill, great cop show based in the UK, hard b%$tards in that show but great drama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Baywatch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Airwolf and knightrider were 1980s. You couldn’t get more 80s than those shows.

Another vote for Space: Above and Beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Seaquest was brilliant.

I'd also like to see a reboot of Space: Above and Beyond or Sliders

No SeaQuest DSV was done and done well the original stand up
    But Space above and beyond was finished prematurely That could have been amazing

What about Pensacola ? About a flight training school and the second season was about an elite special missions group?

Space above and beyond was based on the same book as starship troopers. Enjoyed the show a lot but it's aged terrible. A reboot without the pg rating would work.

And I can't believe I'm on page 5 and no one has suggested remaking V the mini series properly. Not that garbage they tried to throw at us but a proper remake with the oppressive feel and nazi uniforms of the original. Most disappointing tv experience of my life watching that turd of a remake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Space above and beyond was based on the same book as starship troopers. Enjoyed the show a lot but it's aged terrible. A reboot without the pg rating would work.

And I can't believe I'm on page 5 and no one has suggested remaking V the mini series properly. Not that garbage they tried to throw at us but a proper remake with the oppressive feel and nazi uniforms of the original. Most disappointing tv experience of my life watching that turd of a remake.

Can the the OP rename this tread, because most of the suggestions are the 80s. V that’s 1983. Another one Ulysses 31 1981. Ffs lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 SuchABadBunny

Knightmare

Can the the OP rename this tread, because most of the suggestions are the 80s. V that’s 1983. Another one Ulysses 31 1981. Ffs lads.

Space above and beyond was 90s and I'll throw in Andromeda to keep ya happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Knightmare

I watched all the reruns on challenge a few years ago, fun house was on then too. Two great shows

Id love to see bottom come back but sadly Rik Mayall is no longer with us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Airwolf for me .

Even had the best theme tune ever

Airwolf was from the 80's

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Over half the suggested shows on this thread so far are 1980s shows.

Actual 90s shows I would like to see remade - Ren and Stimpy (brilliant viewing after a hit off the bong), This Life, The Word, Gaytime TV and Red Dwarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I thought NYPD Blue was a great 90's drama series.

Hard to improve on it but also hard to fcuk it up. Just new actors. But doubtless it would be peppered with stupid "terrorist" episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

None.........
    The were good at the time when there was little else, looking back there all sh1te....................

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Over half the suggested shows on this thread so far are 1980s shows.

Actual 90s shows I would like to see remade - Ren and Stimpy (brilliant viewing after a hit off the bong), This Life, The Word, Gaytime TV and Red Dwarf.

Red dwarf is still running with new episodes. They are ****e just like the original now that I'm an adult.

Does anyone remember P.S. I Luv U ? I vaguely remember it but it was great
    Then there was Savannah? Kind of like Dynasty in South Carolina

There was a British show Perfect Scoundrels about two con artist, who doesnt love a good con show?

loved Space Above and Beyond, from my recollection its main problem was it was so expensive to make.

I dont think that really mattered if you got enough TV stations to carry it. CGI costs have gone down loads. Less model making and easier to create space battles. Lets go kill some Chigs!!!

I think they had only one Chig armour for the whole series and it was built specifically for one person.
    Werent the Hammerheads as good as an X-Wing?

As far as I remember no-one became a star except Joel dela Feute the asian guy who got roles in Law and Order as a police Psychiatrist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I can remember being very disappointed when Space above and beyond never returned to Saturday evenings on rte.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

bassy wrote: »
    None.........
    The were good at the time when there was little else, looking back there all sh1te....................

and what do you do think we have now?
    Celebs go dating,
    Xfactor,
    Britain's got talent,
    Hollyoaks
    Big Brother,
    I am a celebrity get me out of here.

This is the crap my wife watches. Gimme back the good old days when there was intelligent stuff on TV.

Now if you will excuse me I am going to settle down with a large tube of vasaline and kleenex to watch vintage Charlies Angels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

and what do you do think we have now?
    Celebs go dating,
    Xfactor,
    Britain's got talent,
    Hollyoaks
    Big Brother,
    I am a celebrity get me out of here.

This is the crap my wife watches. Gimme back the good old days when there was intelligent stuff on TV.

Now if you will excuse me I am going to settle down with a large tube of vasaline and kleenex to watch vintage Charlies Angels.

I'd have thought you were of a Baywatch man.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I'd have thought you were of a Baywatch man.

I like mine all natural.... oh Farrah Fawcett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

The Riordans, but with big tractors, and a Father Ted vibe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

Quantum Leap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

There's been a good few Star Trek series and they are very variable. DS9 took a lot from B5. I didn't like Voyager only 7 of 9 and the doctor had character development and how many shuttles did they go through ? Enterprise was better. I gave up on Discovery half way through series 2.
    I'd take quite a lot of 7 of 9, even if she shared a name with one of our beloved broadcasters at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Night rider.
    i thought that was 80's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

As far as I remember no-one became a star except Joel dela Feute the asian guy who got roles in Law and Order as a police Psychiatrist.

Joel de la Fuente is technical operative Ruben Morales, the Asian psychiatrist is BD Wong (Dr. George Huang).

https://lawandorder.fandom.com/wiki/Ruben_Morales

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Sliders - same concept, but completely different worlds. I think modern production standards and cgi along with a different cast could be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

MacGyver

The Wonder Years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    MacGyver

80s series with current active reboot... which hasn't set the ratings alight:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGyver_(2016_TV_series)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Marriage with children...

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Marriage with children...

is that a Russian knock off of Married with children by any chance?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

15 to one with William G Stewart.

Sandi Toksvig isnt a patch on William G Stewart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

is that a Russian knock off of Married with children by any chance?:p

I'll have to let the typo now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭99nsr125

That 70's show as

That 90's show

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Ladygoodman1

Dawsons creek. Im a sucker for a bit of pacey . Now to quote billy crystal in a certain excellant film- He is low maintenance .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Celebrity Deathmatch was touted to be relaunched on December 2018, would be interesting who they would come up with now, I hoping to see this back, it filled the vacuum of Spitting Image back in its time.

https://pitchfork.com/news/mtv-is-bringing-back-celebrity-deathmatch/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Nowhere Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Brimstone

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Renegade with Lorenzo Lamas - it wasn't the most cerebral of TV shows, but was always entertaining.

Lamas was very easy on the eye and as an 18 years old young lad starting in college and growing my hair long I wanted to be just like him - long locks flowing in the breeze, in his shades, leather coat and on his big bike...:cool::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ranto_boy

Earth Final Conflict had an interesting premise but went off the wall in later seasons (as I recall). Would be nice to see something like that done with a serious tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Gladiators

You Bet!

Stars in their Eyes

Knightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Space Above and Beyond was carrier warfare in the Pacific in WWII re wrapped. Space Marines.

Yeah pretty much .

Actually a prop from the caused panic in Russia after they seen a image of one the Hammerhead aircraft outside a hanger ,they actually believed it was an advanced new fighter jet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

ShaneU wrote: »
    Gladiators

You Bet!

Stars in their Eyes

Knightmare

Goddammit.. .. Curse you nostalgia!

• Advertisement

Yeah pretty much .

Actually a prop from the caused panic in Russia after they seen a image of one the Hammerhead aircraft outside a hanger ,they actually believed it was an advanced new fighter jet

Whats the story with those sort of props? Like Battlestar Galactica Vipers and Space A&B Hammerheads? What happens after the series isnt renewed? how and where do you store them or who buys them? Are they still property of the production company/studio?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ShaneU wrote: »

Gladiators

They already rebooted Gladiators and while it was ok, it wasn't a patch on the original

First episode in full there above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I know, they should do it properly this time :D Not having Ian Wright hosting would be a start

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

This Life. BBC drama with Andrew Lincoln and Jack Davenport. It was excellent.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ren and Stimpy.
    Comedy Central are working on a new series of this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement