Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What T V series from the 90s would you like to see be redone again?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Space Above and Beyond was carrier warfare in the Pacific in WWII re wrapped. Space Marines.

I rewatched it a couple of years ago and it definitely has a 90's feel to it but its much closer to (One of the best TV shows of all time IMO) the BSG Reboot than say trashy 90's shows such as Seaquest or Quantum leap. However, you have to allow for some ropey dialogue and special effects it still holds up quite well.

I watched it late at night on Network 2 if I remember right when it was on first and even at a young age I thought It was quite refreshing to have the "goodies" just getting their arse kicked each week. The ending wad admirably bleak too.

And the ships were class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

ShaneU wrote: »
    Knightmare

That is a great shout anc could be done so well today with VR etc.

You'd have to get the same kind of middle class English kids for added nostalgia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    Wouldn't be the same without Hugo Myatt.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

ziedth wrote: »
    That is a great shout anc could be done so well today with VR etc.

You'd have to get the same kind of middle class English kids for added nostalgia
    Best thing was they nearly always lost and we'd get the great:

D-I-S-M-I-S-S

spell.
    If they re-did it, they'd probably make it too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Didn't they re-do Knightmare a couple of years ago?
    Dobby from Peepshow was the assistant in it.

It was a one off episode they did in 2013
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74r-EbIqt9s&feature=emb_logo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

keano_afc wrote: »
    This Life. BBC drama with Andrew Lincoln and Jack Davenport. It was excellent.

...and why did they cancel it ? I remember it. I would not watch it now if they remade it. It would be too PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Earth 2. It ran for only one season in the mid 90s, I liked what I saw a lot and have no idea why they cancelled it. Here's the premise from wikipedia:
    During their travels, Adair and her companions slowly learn to cope with life on the alien world, which at first seems superficially Earth-like but which is gradually revealed to have a very different ecology, including at least two different native sentient and humanoid species—a short and stout race at the level of development of hunter-gatherers with a propensity towards kleptomania known as "Grendlers" and the much taller and lankier "Terrians", who are capable of telepathic communication, can tear rents and tunnels in the earth through a pseudo-psychic process and whose well-being is somehow linked to that of the planet. The survivors also learn that the Council — a government group that seems to wield most of the power on the space stations — wants to gain control of G889 for resettlement. Through their various experiments, they have learned that they cannot remove the Terrians without killing the planet. This complicates matters, because Devon's son, who has been healed by the Terrians and who had begun to exhibit some of their unique characteristics, has become the key to the Council's plan for the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

...and why did they cancel it ? I remember it. I would not watch it now if they remade it. It would be too PC.

Wikipedia says that:
    The second series ended with a close-up of an advert for the house, and the original intention was to re-cast with new characters. The controversial stage writer Mark Ravenhill was involved in drafting storylines and early scripts for a third series, but the plans were aborted, and the decision was taken to end the programme "on a high".

Just pretend that Egg became a Teacher and watch that series :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

There was one called G vs E in the late '90's when I was about twelve or so. Loved it, was only one or two seasons in when it was cancelled. Would love to see that rebooted, but things are never the same when you're a grown-up so I'd probably be bitterly disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

American gothic. It had so much potential and was cancelled after one series as it was too dark. It wouldn’t be these days and I’d love to see it redone with some great special effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Wikipedia says that:
    The second series ended with a close-up of an advert for the house, and the original intention was to re-cast with new characters. The controversial stage writer Mark Ravenhill was involved in drafting storylines and early scripts for a third series, but the plans were aborted, and the decision was taken to end the programme "on a high".

They did a one off special on the 10th anniversary of the show. I missed it, and cant find it online anywhere.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Wikipedia says that:

Not interested. Disaster!!! IT was also specific to that time, space and culture. The same story wouldn't work in todays environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Psychlops wrote: »
    The best tv show there ever was, if you dont fall in love with helicopters after watching this I feel sorry for you.

That ended by the mid eighties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Games Master
    Big Breakfast
    Keeping up Appearances
    Early Edition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ibiza Uncovered.

Catch up with some of the people on it to see how they turned out 20 something years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ibiza Uncovered.

Catch up with some of the people on it to see how they turned out 20 something years later.

Their bits have probably fallen off :D

Their bits have probably fallen off :D

I think most of the shagging the lads on it claimed to be doing was mostly in their heads.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

"The hitman and her" just for Michaela Strachan

Ibiza Uncovered.

Really? Chantal living in a council house in Liverpool with 5 kids from 3 fathers?
    Damo who loved his pill then graduated to Heroin, end game.
    Tommy the party animal got a case of "cotton eyed joe" and is now on a diet of pancakes because its the only thing they can get under the door.
    Mary the shrinking violet, she is practicing law and issued a legal ban on releasing her details as she now lives in Kent with her account husband and massive house with room for a pony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Babylon 5, with a bigger budget

but leave the main story arc alone, as it was pretty much perfect

Really? Chantal living in a council house in Liverpool with 5 kids from 3 fathers?
    Damo who loved his pill then graduated to Heroin, end game.
    Tommy the party animal got a case of "cotton eyed joe" and is now on a diet of pancakes because its the only thing they can get under the door.
    Mary the shrinking violet, she is practicing law and issued a legal ban on releasing her details as she now lives in Kent with her account husband and massive house with room for a pony.

Lucky for some of them there was no smartphones back then.

I think what we learned is you can redo science fiction but mess with things that we specific to the time/culture.

Like with "This Life", coming out or doing cocaine is no longer taboo. I would not be interested in watching it remade for Generation Z.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Cracker.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Game's world and game's master.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

ranto_boy wrote: »
    Earth Final Conflict had an interesting premise but went off the wall in later seasons (as I recall). Would be nice to see something like that done with a serious tone.

Killing off Boon ruined it for me. Never liked unplanned replacements. Same went with sliders and the 'fusion' of the two brothers.

Would love a return to proper Trek. Picard had potential but sadly it's more the Patrick Stewart show than JLP

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Cracker.

Remaking Cracker without Robbie Coltraine would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Tony EH wrote: »
    Remaking Cracker without Robbie Coltraine would be a disaster.
    It was the first show of it's kind really, but the format has been done to death over the years so it would need to be something really special to stand out.

Maybe bring back Robbie out of retirement to solve the one case he could never crack or something.

It was the first show of it's kind really, but the format has been done to death over the years so it would need to be something really special to stand out.

Maybe bring back Robbie out of retirement to solve the one case he could never crack or something.

They already brought it back after a few years off the air and it wasn't really the same, IIRC.

The time has just passed. Best to leave it alone and not ruin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Ibiza Uncovered.

And Greece Uncovered too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

DC7665-BF-F7-C3-4-DA7-A114-6-CA1-F01-D3-C0-E.jpg

A nose to nose there was but for me, t'was Don't feed the Gondalas. Just popped Antoine de Caine.. Friday night 11/12. I'm 39 now so do the figures ;) it's a show I didn't miss ever. Not once.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A nose to nose there was but for me, t'was Don't feed the Gondalas. Just popped Antoine de Caine.. Friday night 11/12. I'm 39 now so do the figures ;) it's a show I didn't miss ever. Not once.
    Then you must like the Blizzard of Odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Imagine Eurotrash now.
    Therd be murder lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭On the Beach

No disco.

Advertisement