Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think if you told that you had a terminal disease that you try enjoy life?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm delighted at the Bill being passed.

I have relapsing remitting MS. I am lucky that I am perfectly well 90% of the time.

However, being confronted with your own mortality at 28 does funny things to you- I'd been in a dark and pretty self destructive place for most of my 20s and a switch flipped in my head when I was diagnosed. Stuff kind of snapped into focus. I stopped arsing about and making silly decisions- I chose to live better.

I am happier now (in my 30s) than I ever was before. More fulfilled and content.

However, I have let my nearest and dearest know that, should I progress and lose certain abilities (namely speak and swallow) I have very little interest in sticking around. I like participating in life, not being a bystander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I'm delighted at the Bill being passed.

I have relapsing remitting MS. I am lucky that I am perfectly well 90% of the time.

However, being confronted with your own mortality at 28 does funny things to you- I'd been in a dark and pretty self destructive place for most of my 20s and a switch flipped in my head when I was diagnosed. Stuff kind of snapped into focus. I stopped arsing about and making silly decisions- I chose to live better.

I am happier now (in my 30s) than I ever was before. More fulfilled and content.

However, I have let my nearest and dearest know that, should I progress and lose certain abilities (namely speak and swallow) I have very little interest in sticking around. I like participating in life, not being a bystander.

How did your loved ones react, do you mind me asking? No pressure to answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

I would desperately love assisted suicide to be legalised. Ironically, it would give me life. To know that I have a dose there if the pain gets too much would be such a comfort. But I'm not going to get my hopes up.

While I emphasise my worry would be a future were it may be seen as a kindness to take the decision out of your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    While I emphasise my worry would be a future were it may be seen as a kindness to take the decision out of your hands.

That’s why you have to physically be able to administer the dose to yourself in most places where it’s legal. I think it has to be filmed too as a legal requirement. In Switzerland anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

54and56 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how individual TD's voted in the Dying with Dignity Bill last night.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/1007/1170121-dying-with-dignity/

Don't suppose anyone can link to a list of who voted yes/no/abstained?

I've googled it and checked https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates...ebateType=dail but can't see the list anywhere.

And the answer is https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/vote/dail/33/2020-10-07/81/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Everyone has the right to view their life and death how they see fit.

There is an arrogant supposition being made by some here, that one cannot have the same understanding of death or the true value of life... unless you have been given a diagnosis of a terminal disease.

This is quite frankly, bullsh!t...

You have no idea what other people have gone through in their lives. Many people will endure things that are in some cases much more challenging than facing an early exit from this life. There is such a thing as a living hell for some people. A nightmare they wake up to everyday, rather than going to sleep to experience!

There should be more respect given to everyone's personal experiences in this life... instead of certain people trying to elevate their particular circumstances to a point where they are somehow more qualified to give their opinion. This is an arrogant stance to take!

But those who are facing certain imminent death are wiser about the reality of it than those who have an unspecified longer life span. They really are.

Certainly not are arrogant or any of the needlessly crude expletives you use. And no question of " elevation" . Just sharing and supporting .

And you are taking the thread way off kilter. Of course many face other challenges. No one has said else. Why so angry? Read the title!

Oh this anger is because we object to " life is a terminal disease"? Because it is not. Terminal illness IS a terminal disease. Nothing else is.

I am deeply grateful for the sharing here of so many who are facing the hardest of realities. It is an experience like no other. It has helped me in my own struggles with increasing age and illness. It is a unique experience and one we get little help with anywhere. needing different qualities and tactics than other major life issues.

Many many thinks those who have shared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'm having a great life with no terminal disease..... christ if I did get one I could quite possibly explode with happiness and nobody wants that ....

Advertisement