Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any 100% free website

• 26-09-2020 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Is there any program i can create a website with for free? I've signed up for a few now & a fee needs to be paid before it's published. I'm not looking for anything fancy really....just want to setup a website for a dog walking business

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

As in you want to build it for free? a free program for writing the code, designing it etc?

or you want one free set up that people can visit?

If you mean the first one, plenty of free tools out there, brackets I thought was very good.

for the second one, there are a few ways to get an essentially free website set up but it may impact things like the functionality you can offer on the page or the URL (www.dogwalker.stuff.bleh.com) and make it more difficult to remember.

More info will help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Surfingsoul

Thank you for your reply, yes the second one :)
    I already have a domain, i just want to get setup so people can visit it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thank you for your reply, yes the second one :)
    I already have a domain, i just want to get setup so people can visit it

Blogger is 100% free, and can be usefcwith a domain you already own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Another option would be github pages:

Setting up the website

using your own domain name with it

AWS has some options as well for static website hosting which they reckon cost about 50c a month?
    Good tutorial on it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

TBH, a decent Facebook page is usually all that is needed for a business like this and indeed provides a tonne of marketing options built in with very little knowledge needed to setup and promote.
    Although I'd say you are already on the platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭webpal

Mobirise is good.

kippy wrote: »
    TBH, a decent Facebook page is usually all that is needed for a business like this and indeed provides a tonne of marketing options built in with very little knowledge needed to setup and promote.
    Although I'd say you are already on the platform.

Maybe I’m an outlier to the norm but no matter what service or product I’m looking for, if their main website is a Facebook page I’ll always go to the next company.

Maybe I’m an outlier to the norm but no matter what service or product I’m looking for, if their main website is a Facebook page I’ll always go to the next company.

It probably depends on age and/or the product....based on my own experience.
    I wouldn't be expecting a website from a dog walking service though and there's really no better way to market on a budget than via FB particularly when it comes to a local targeted service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dylan765

Auto install WordPress to your domain root folder, select theme, you now have a website that needs zero coding to manage and its free.

Dylan765 wrote: »
    Auto install WordPress to your domain root folder, select theme, you now have a website that needs zero coding to manage and its free.

This alone is a complex task for most however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Dylan765

strictly an opinion i know but i don't see it anymore complex than the above mentioned options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

Dylan765 wrote: »

Wordpress is probably the handiest thing while still having a domain that people would trust. (I wouldn't take something seriously if it was mywebsite.blogspot.com or soemthing)

Many hosting providers will also handle the domain name element of it and also have automated wordpress website generation. That would be a pretty straight forward option.

As with anything though, no harm in watching a youtube video tutorial before you do it, to make sure you know what you're about to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wordpress is probably the handiest thing while still having a domain that people would trust. (I wouldn't take something seriously if it was mywebsite.blogspot.com or soemthing)

The OP tells us that s/he had a domain. Given that, then:

Blogger can be used, with that domain, to put content onto www.OPsDomain.com - for no additional charge. If someone navigates to www.OPsDomain.blogspot.com, they will be auto re-directed to www.OPsDomain.com People can navigate directly to www.OPsDomain.com. And the content will be indexed by google under www.OPsDomain.com

Wordpress (and all other easy-to-use tools that I'm aware of) can only be used to put content onto www.OPsDomain.com if the OP pays for additional webhosting. Typically webhosting costs a LOT more than the domain does.

A Facebook page canbe used - but it won't use www.OPsDomain.com at all. And it can be changed 100% at the whim of Facebook. I wouldn't reply on one for a business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

kippy wrote: »
    TBH, a decent Facebook page is usually all that is needed for a business like this...
    Facebook is perfect for this type of 'enterprise'. It already has a local network, marketing options, appointment/booking options, and payment options.

You could set up a fantastic website with all the bells and whistles but then what are you going to do to get traffic?? You're going to go straight to Facebook to promote it!

You'll get far more business sticking a card up in your local newsagents than you would from setting up a website.
    They're offering a dog walking service, not tooth implants.

Advertisement