Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc monitor upgrade

Options
  • 26-09-2020 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭

I have an old 32 inch AOC which is now giving grief as cannot change signal from remote to sensor on tv and want to upgrade.No idea on what quality is out there and distance about 2 1/2 from screen.Think desktop is using dvi and not sure if it has hdmi as would need to move it to check.

Am i better going for a monitor or would a tv be in the running also so need your opinions w10 pc no gaming.:D:D Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Probably want to check for that HDMI as the older ports are rarer these days.

Is the PC just for office work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

No the usual crap forums and you tube as i like to look at music videos and searching the net.I have a dell 5-1 ths altec lansing with twin sub woofers in a cabinet as want good vision and excellent sound,pity i dont have a high powered pc to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Best pick up a cheap second hand monitor from adverts. Especially if there is no HDMI connection. 16:9 would be best to get, also do not get a older 4:3 square setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Would've thought a TV would be value better tbh if it's not for gaming or anything too colour accurate. Any idea what screen size you'd want? Same as you have or what?

Was out in Harvey Norman going to buy a 27 inch,bloody hell too small as would like a 32 inch as same size screen but smaller frame which is hanging from wall mount as its 3 inches + on both sided and 6 inches + underneath because of speakers.

• Advertisement

Best pick up a cheap second hand monitor from adverts. Especially if there is no HDMI connection. 16:9 would be best to get, also do not get a older 4:3 square setup.

Dont want a picture of 16.9 and selling an older square smaller monitor on adverts.Dont mind getting a new one as quality counts.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Dont want a picture of 16.9

Tv's are 16:9.

Tv's are 16:9.

But depends on what you view as on rte 1 hd film is on 16.9 and multisat most have full picture which i like.Pc is full screen.

And now the crap news no bloody hdmi port on pc:mad::mad: using vga connection and spare dvi port i see.

I have in my hand a dvi connector to hdmi but unsure if that might work.:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

I have in my hand a dvi connector to hdmi but unsure if that might work.:confused::confused:

Was about to post that - DVI-D is electrically compatible with HDMI, so you just need a passive adapter to pass video (but not audio).

Audio was never used on screen as the 5-1 does that when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I just bought the LG27850GL it will be here on Monday....I will stick up a few pics and let you know the story with it. I was going to get a 32" panel I could not pass it up for the price and the performance. Every single online site and you tube reviewer said it is the best 27" panel on the market with a very good spec latest HDMI and DP connections and 144hz IPS screen.

I got it delivered to for €480 all in, could not pass it up for that. And its both Freesync and Gsync certified (Adaptive Sync I think its called)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I don't think he needs something quite that good ><

He's not even gaming.

Op buy a cheap 2k or 4k monitor if it's just for youtube/internet and your PC is up to playing 4k video.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I don't think he needs something quite that good ><

He's not even gaming.

Op buy a cheap 2k or 4k monitor if it's just for youtube/internet and your PC is up to playing 4k video.

No not into gaming and no 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I would imagine any HDTV will do the job, I'm using a Samsung 22" here [don't really need bigger as it's right in front of me on the desk] and I use it for gaming - 1080p is plenty good enough for me. You can get a 32" samsung HDTV used for about €100

Rather keep away from Samsung and Lg as not built to last before issues.

I was thinking of hdtv but unsure in reading this.

https://techtalk.currys.co.uk/computing/laptops-desktops-tablets/why-is-a-monitor-better-than-a-tv-for-computers/

Samsung and LG make the best monitors on the market atm so I don't know where you got that impression.

The majority of other brands use panels made by these 2 companies as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Yeah I've never had issue with either LG or Samsung, we had a 32" Samy as our main tv for years, gave it to a friend when we bought a 42" LG and he's still using it away. I have the LG a couple year now and it's never given any grief. The 22" Samy I'm using here for the PC is also years old and again, never an issue, I like the colours and clarity it produces.

It was the amount of tvs coming back to electrical supplier that had issues,think that was 10 years ago.My mate had an LG pack up after 4 years and had to buy another one.I am aware some use parts from other makes which is common.
    Bit like the same car in toyota,peugeot and citroen.

I have a 1080p Samsung monitor for at least 7 years and a 4k LG HDR TV for 4k gaming and no issue with either.

LG used to have a bit of a bad image as a cheaper lower quality brand but they have been killing it in recent years.

Banging out high quality TV's and PC monitors.

• Advertisement

Have to say I have a BenQ 24 monitor currently, This thing when I bought it was way ahead of its time....its the FP241WZ Model. It has a native res of 1920x1200 and although its 60hz (no 144/165hz back then) its such a good monitor but its about 10 yrs old now.

Really cant fault it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I bought a Sony 50" 18 months ago,it died a few months ago and had to get a warranty replecent,does that mean Sony are bad?

Any mass produced electronics have a chance of failure. Some brands may be more likely but I havent seen much that would make me think i wouldnt get a Samsung or LG,even the Sony breaking on me doesn't make me think I wouldnt get a Sony again at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Lenovo had a great offer last week on Monitors.
    Some massive reductions.
    Wil probably have some more offers for Black Friday .

Dare i ask when is black Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dare i ask when is black Friday

End of November, but Amazon Prime day is 13th and 14th of next month

EoinHef wrote: »
    I bought a Sony 50" 18 months ago,it died a few months ago and had to get a warranty replecent,does that mean Sony are bad?

Any mass produced electronics have a chance of failure. Some brands may be more likely but I havent seen much that would make me think i wouldnt get a Samsung or LG,even the Sony breaking on me doesn't make me think I wouldnt get a Sony again at some point.

True, the customer service relating to the returns process would put me off a brand more.

Well lads the LG montior arrived this morning, if anyone has any questions on it stick them up or PM me and I do my best to answer them.

Overall its just incredible.

(Disclaimer)
    I have only ever gamed on a 60hz 1920x1200 monitor or lower res. I am not exactly in a position to give an excellent review on this monitor for the reasons stated. However, I do have eyes lol and I can tell you for under €470 delivered to your door I cannot fault this unit. Its just so so buttery smooth and looks incredible with really good specs, I am delighted with it and cant wait for a 30 series card to power it.
    Out of the box, the colour was very good a few tweaks and its looking very well to my eye.

I did find that when it was on the FASTEST gaming mode the screen was a bit weird like it was pulsing or something cant really explain it. But on the setting just below it its perfect, maybe I am just not used to the refresh rate being so high.
    I will have a good session on it today and all weekend and we see whats what.

That's the overshoot i'd say you were seeing on the fastest setting. Would love to get a new monitor myself but debating should i stick to 1440p or make the 4K jump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

That's the overshoot i'd say you were seeing on the fastest setting. Would love to get a new monitor myself but debating should i stick to 1440p or make the 4K jump.

I've a different question: if I have a 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor, is it worth investing in a 4K monitor? 60Hz enough or need 144Hz?
    And will they work on the same PC? How do you choose which monitor to play on?

Advertisement