Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Ram

• 26-09-2020 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

I have a Ram who is about 5 to 6 years old (he has all his teeth) and I went out this morning and he was lying on his side and couldn't get up. I got him up eventually and he started grazing but looked a bit woobly on his back legs. I went out again this evening and it was the same thing - stretched on his side. I got him up, gave him a mineral dose and some nuts and he started grazing again.

I had him in the shed during July and I noticed he was a bit woobly some mornings when he was getting up, but he got into good form again and there were no issues up until this morning

What would be the problem

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

nutritional or a parasite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Tomjim

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    nutritional or a parasite

Plenty of grass no problem there and he's in good condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Doesnt sound great to be honest. Had one like that that didnt have a happy ending. My guess, Maybe something clostridial ? This is the time of year it strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Sounds like his hips are gone, bit of arthritis or something. Maybe he gave himself a hurt in the shed and it’s coming back on him now. You could get a shot of metacalm (anti inflammatory) from your vet for him, but to be honest I would be looking for a new ram...
    It’s not clostridial as he’d be very dull/dead by now and wouldn’t go eating again once you get him up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Tomjim

He's still alive, one of his feet a bit swollen but that's not the problem.

He can't get up himself, I have to lift him up, when I go out he is lying on his side

When I put him up, he can stand but it's like he has had a stroke, he has no power in his back legs, he just shuffles along on his back legs

• Advertisement
Advertisement