Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle magazines have vanished from Easons

Options
  • 26-09-2020 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

The last time I saw Classic bike, or any of the magazines that deal with classic/ old bikes was before the pandemic. I used to go into Easons every Saturday for a browse, and very likely buy a magazine. Now there has been none of my favourite magazines on the shelves. :confused: I don't want to take out a subscription, as I prefer to have a look first, as some articles are of more interest than others, etc. All the usual car, tractor, train magazines are there, except for the bikes :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

A lot more missing than you mention....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Just stumbled on this thread, not even into bikes. However I just checked a digital magazine app I have there and both Bike and Classic Bike are on it. It's called RB Digital, it's free and legal. You can get access by being a member of a library, I love it.

Just noticed the last Classic Bike issue on there is from April and the last Bike is from May. Maybe they stopped producing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Just stumbled on this thread, not even into bikes. However I just checked a digital magazine app I have there and both Bike and Classic Bike are on it. It's called RB Digital, it's free and legal. You can get access by being a member of a library, I love it.

Just noticed the last Classic Bike issue on there is from April and the last Bike is from May. Maybe they stopped producing them?

Thanks for that info, :) I am a library member, so I will try that approach. Quite probable that the pandemic has stopped the production of the magazines, which would certainly explain their absence from the newsagents.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Bike & the related titles by the same publisher - https://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/ are still being produced. I have a sub to Bike and there was a couple of issues they couldn't send to Ireland at the start of lockdown but no problem getting delivered since. My guess is Eason's stopped carrying them when they missed a couple of issues back in April/May time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I have not seen 'Classic motorcycle mechanics' myself in a good while.
    'Irish Buyers guide' is still there but...

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 aido43

Depends on the Easons store--some have moved their magazines sections. All Ride/Bike and Practical Sprtsbikes are continuing to be issued. I got tired of looking for mags so got a Sub instead--cheaper given Stg rates and Easons massive mark ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I subscribe to readily and the last Classic Bike was issued for September. Bike and Ride are both on that app too. Sub is a 10er PM but there's a ton of mags on there and you can have multi profiles so my family all use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I subscribed via the SO's Kindle to some US mags a few years ago: Cycle, etc. Costs me something like €12 a year.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

galwaytt wrote: »
    I subscribed via the SO's Kindle to some US mags a few years ago: Cycle, etc. Costs me something like €12 a year.

There's some super cheap options for digital subs but call me old fashioned but I prefer the paper in the hand to read over lunch, in the smallest room in the house etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Just took a look, that's pretty impressive, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

May 2020 was the last issue of Bike that the Irish library system gave access to. I contacted them and I was told that they stopped subscribing to it. No reason was given other than that “it probably was not being read by many people”. I asked for it to be reinstated, but I have low expectations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Problems in the USA magazine market too. Many publications expected to end their print runs this month, even the venerable Cycle World.
    Not helped by poor management - allegedly but it's the new owners who plan to take them online only.

Pity, paper beats a screen any day .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

not many people buy bikes any more
    harley sales go down 5% every year for last 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Harley sales are not a good metric of motorcycle sales.
    To counter:

European Motorcycles Market at record growth in August with 140.823 sales (+29.0%) even better than the +23.7% scored in July. After the first eight months, European two wheeler sales have been 1.057.945 (-3.1%) almost recovering the entire March-May fall.

https://www.motorcyclesdata.com/2020/09/24/european-motorcycles-sales/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

That's just Harleys, lot of new competition in their market too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

That's not the case, however, magazine sales have been declining for sometime now. Nonetheless, the motorbike magazines mentioned are still printed.

Advertisement