Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What temperature do you think is too cold to leave a dog outside?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

If you take on a dog as a pet it should be treated as part of the family and allowed live in the house.

My dog sleeps at the end of our bed (sometimes even chances getting under the duvet in the winter!).

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    If you take on a dog as a pet it should be treated as part of the family and allowed live in the house.

My dog sleeps at the end of our bed (sometimes even chances getting under the duvet in the winter!).

A dog is an animal not a person, a fact lost on many. This whole dogs inside is a new thing they lived perfectly happily outside (with sheds/kennels) to sleep and for shelter until people lost the run of themselves in recent times.

As a child I grew up in the country so everyone had/has dogs I never saw a dog even let inside for a few mints until I was in my teens I think.

By all means keep a dog inside if you wish but it is perfectly acceptable to keep them outside also and not get treated so badly by posters for it like happens in here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Nox001, once again, you need to be asked not to post in this forum in a way which disrespects the forum and its users.
    I've had enough of it now. You've been warned a multiplicity of times about the same thing, and you're clearly paying no heed.
    So here's what's going to happen, just to make it absolutely clear to you.
    If you do it one more time, you will be banned permanently from the forum.
    Please do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Kauto0709 wrote: »

That wouldn't be for me, but each to his own. The only reason I posted was to show that some dogs are fine to sleep outside, but no way would I leave a yorkie to sleep outside except in good summer weather... even if it wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

polesheep wrote: »
    That wouldn't be for me, but each to his own. The only reason I posted was to show that some dogs are fine to sleep outside, but no way would I leave a yorkie to sleep outside except in good summer weather... even if it wanted to.

That was my attitude to cats until we had dogs as well and there was no spare room to keep either in; ( I think that makes sense ) so the cats got the freedom of my bedroom and somehow it just stayed that way. I feel the cold more these days ( and nights) so..And no way would the dogs be out at night.

A dog is an animal not a person, a fact lost on many. This whole dogs inside is a new thing they lived perfectly happily outside (with sheds/kennels) to sleep and for shelter until people lost the run of themselves in recent times.

As a child I grew up in the country so everyone had/has dogs I never saw a dog even let inside for a few mints until I was in my teens I think.

By all means keep a dog inside if you wish but it is perfectly acceptable to keep them outside also and not get treated so badly by posters for it like happens in here

You are speaking about working . farm dogs in many parts of rural Ireland. Not companion dogs/pets in villages and towns where their role is very different and always has been. For literally centuries. This is nothing new.

It is indeed ie farm dogs out all night and often barking , something I have indeed seen and heard many times in my years here and if it is changing I for one am glad. My neighbour here now sleeps his dog in safe accommodation rather than chained up outside after a barkathon that disturbed us and the dog all night.

I feel that people here were not speaking about working farm dogs but about their home dogs. A different thing altogether, and one we do indeed need to be flexible about in both directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

AMKC wrote: »
    0pMy two dogs sleep outside in a dog house. I see it's to be quite cold tonight. I would normally let them sleep inside if I seen it was to be this cold but they like there little bed too. I do worry about them when it's this cold do

Rule of thumb.....if its too cold outside in the nip for humans....its too cold outside for the pooches....thats my thoughts anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Darc19 wrote: »
    But but but but Fakebook and a friend of a friend's work mate's brother's friend said that every dog in his estate was stolen, so the gardai and official figures must be wrong.

It's a conspiracy Joe, a conspiracy.

As for the op, I'd be allowing them in from now on, gets quite chilly these nights and weather for next week looks dreadful.

Theres a huge increase in stolen dogs.

It's a trade as lucrative as the drugs trade, with little repercussions, so it's easy money.

So much so, that Gardai in certain areas are mounting roadblocks and checks and have made a certain headway, but it's just the tip if the iceberg.

The issue is that some Gardai are more proactive than others and there is a challenge with how the actual data is logged- Gardai logging and recording reports differently ( I know of two cases where Gardai did not want to give a number until owners insisted) so it is fair to say the numbers are not accurate due to no process in the reporting channels.

There needs to be a central database for stolen dogs and a taskforce between here and UK to action it. CAB needs to become involved.

Belittling it as a conspiracy theory is just adding anguish to the distraught owners who are desperately seeking their pets and want them home. If you started to list the names, youd fill this page.

Pets are not safe unattended in their own gardens and people need to take appropriate action to keep them safe.

I think Yorkies are definitely inside dogs, only little bits of things with no body fat. Have you a utility room OP or Garage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

a good hot water bottle in a fleece cover would also relieve the chill and the door closed at an angle to avoid the draught getting in . dogs do adjust but these are so small id prefer the crate inside and then moved out of your way out side during the day.

Just a note about hot water bottles. I wouldn't use them in a dogs bed outside overnight. They start off very very hot and will quickly cool down. When very hot there's a risk of a dog burning themselves. Also when they cool down, which outside on a cool night they will cool quite quickly, they will start to become a source of cold. They will not stay warm for an 8+ hour night.
    The heat pads mentioned by another poster are designed for slow release of heat over a long period. Therefore no risk of burns or becoming a cold pack.
    But with any source of heat make sure the dog has space to move away from it if they become too warm.

A crate seems like a good solution. Otherwise make sure the bedding doesn't become damp and is up off the floor of the kennel. You can buy raised beds for this. Not sure if you close the door of the kennel overnight but if not you can buy doors made of plastic strips which allow the dog to pass through and will keep some of the draught out. Or if the kennel is big enough you can put an internal half wall in and put the bed behind it so the bed is blocked from direct draughts in the door.

• Advertisement

Rule of thumb.....if its too cold outside in the nip for humans....its too cold outside for the pooches....thats my thoughts anyways

Reminds me of the old saying, " A five dog night" …. which comes from frozen regions where the coldness of a night is measured by how many dogs it takes to keep you warm in bed.... Trust me, I know that in cat terms. Unlike a HWB a cat stays warm... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Graces7 wrote: »
    Reminds me of the old saying, " A five dog night" …. which comes from frozen regions where the coldness of a night is measured by how many dogs it takes to keep you warm in bed.... Trust me, I know that in cat terms. Unlike a HWB a cat stays warm... ;)

OMG it’s been a very long time since I’ve heard that phrase, my nan’s mum use to say it about the nippy nights along the moors when I was a wee thing... brought a smile to my face though because she was such a wonderful person and a nice way to remember her. Thanks for that Graces...hope your keeping equally well these chilly nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I wouldn't leave a dog outside at the moment at all, even in the height of summer.

Regarding temperature, I've a room thermometer in the bedroom and another on the landing to control the upstairs heat. When I go to bed, they read the same temp, but by morning there's up to 2°C difference because I share with my dog and dogs run hotter than humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Why would you get a tiny toy breed with hair (not fur) and leave it outside? Horrible!

This depends on the dog. I keep my guy inside but I know he'd rather be out in the summer. When there's a heavy frost he actually requests to sleep outside. He's brought in when we're going to bed anyway.

People say "If you're cold, he's cold", but I have two jumpers on tonight and my dog is a Newfie... So that's not a hard and fast rule!

em_cat wrote: »
    OMG it’s been a very long time since I’ve heard that phrase, my nan’s mum use to say it about the nippy nights along the moors when I was a wee thing... brought a smile to my face though because she was such a wonderful person and a nice way to remember her. Thanks for that Graces...hope your keeping equally well these chilly nights.

Lovely post; thank you. I am by breeding a cool Northern creature and Ireland is far milder than Orkney was...

Interesting; the three new cats are in and the two older ones out. They are so low to the ground the wind cannot take them!

A rough day ahead so stay safe; all snugged in here with plenty of fuel ready.

• Advertisement
Advertisement