Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre pay vodafone hotspot charges

Options
  • 27-09-2020 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Eze

I used to be able to hotspot my tablet to my phone and use the prepaid data on my phone. When I recently did this, there was a charge and it was taken from the credit that I had left on my phone for the next add-on purchase.

When did all this start?
    What are the charges?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

19c per MB

The charge was always there but some phones (>Android 8 and Iphones) allow VF to reroute data to the chargeable APN.

The fix is to delete the HS APN and retain the Live APN only. Have you changed phone or plan or upgraded OS recently? Some phones won't allow deleting/editing APNs without doing a bit more delving into settings and running ADB commands if it's Android. IPhone settings can't be modified.

Which add on is it? The APNs are separate for mobile broadband vs phone add ons...
    Live APN is for phone data
    HS APN is for mobile broadband data

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Trapeze
    Eze

Ten Pin wrote: »
    19c per MB

The charge was always there but some phones (>Android 8 and Iphones) allow VF to reroute data to the chargeable APN.

The fix is to delete the HS APN and retain the Live APN only. Have you changed phone or plan or upgraded OS recently? Some phones won't allow deleting/editing APNs without doing a bit more delving into settings and running ADB commands if it's Android. IPhone settings can't be modified.

Which add on is it? The APNs are separate for mobile broadband vs phone add ons...
    Live APN is for phone data
    HS APN is for mobile broadband data

It's a Samsung S7 running Andoid 8

It's the 5 euro 1Gb add on (now gont to 5gb)

No recent phone updates, though Vodafone has uptated their app and I accepted that update.

Thanks for response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

That's one reason to avoid downloading carrier apps...who knows what settings they're tweaking in the background.

Go into phone APN settings and see if HS APN can be modified/deleted.

The 5GB add on can be bought via SMS by sending '5DATA' to 50233

The best way to avoid tethering surcharges is to have no spare credit balance. Only add what you need to buy an add on or activate a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Trapeze
    Eze

Ten Pin wrote: »
    That's one reason to avoid downloading carrier apps...who know what settings they're tweaking in the background.

Go into phone APN settings and see if HS APN can be modified/deleted.

The 5GB add on can be bought via SMS by sending '5DATA' to 50233

The best way to avoid tethering surcharges is to have no spare credit balance. Only add what you need to buy an add on or activate a plan.

Great Thanks for your help.

Advertisement