Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing a white Poppy

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Walking down the road with a swastica on your lapel is the same as a poppy in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭OldRio

Walking down the road with a swastica on your lapel is the same as a poppy in my opinion.

The swastika symbol is actually Buddhist/hindu in origin. The footprint of the Buddha and in sanskript means well being. Unfortunately the nazi party twisted and used it.

Why anyone would wear a poppy in this country is utterly beyond me. Anyway carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

OldRio wrote: »
    Why anyone would wear a poppy in this country is utterly beyond me. Anyway carry on.

They'd most likely be wearing it to wind Sinn Féin supporters up. Alas, they lack the self-awareness to realise that it's not just SF supporters who were disgusted by the actions of the British forces on this island, so they just come across as arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,512 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I could see the reasons for wearing Poppies in the 20s 30s 40s as the funds raised were being used to support ex servicemen from WW1 thousands of who were members of the Irish regiments and who suffered terrible injuries. It was a means for Irish people to give financial support. However nowadays there are very few Republic of Ireland born members of the British forces. We have our own National Commemoration day which incorporates memorials for Irish servicepeople who died in all wars and with the United Nations.
    There is no need to support Poppy day. Also there is no need to buy Easter Lilies as there is no account as to where the funds raised is spent. Commemoration of those involved in the War of Independence and Civil War are included in the National Commemoration day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The falls road?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

I'm closing this thread to move it to CA as it doesn't really fit in AH. May be reopened pending the CA mods reviewing it.

Reminder to read the CA charter before posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement