Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fridge shelves and trays keep getting wet

• 27-09-2020 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭

Having an issue with my integrated fridge which is only about 5 years old. It has a separate freezer at the bottom so no freezer box on top. The shelves and trays at the bottom keep getting wet so everything ends up sitting in water. I'm not sure what's causing it maybe the drain at the back is blocked but I don't see how this would cause the shelves to get wet as they're above the drain.

Someone already tried clearing the drain with a thin knitting needle but that may have done more harm than good. As it's an integrated fridge it's very difficult to access the back and I'm not even sure it's possible. I had a free standing fridge in the past which had a tray underneath that collected water if the freezer defrosted, but not sure if my current one has that.

I read something about mini plungers that come with fridges but I don't remember getting one. I also read another post saying if the door isn't closing or sealed properly it would cause moisture build up. I checked my door and it seems to close ok, although it's difficult to see as it's covered by the panel door.

Do integrated fridges have a water collection tray? If so how would I access it?
    Is the problem caused by the drain getting blocked, and if so how do I clear it?

Pics attached - if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears 👍

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭meercat

Having an issue with my integrated fridge which is only about 5 years old. It has a separate freezer at the bottom so no freezer box on top. The shelves and trays at the bottom keep getting wet so everything ends up sitting in water. I'm not sure what's causing it maybe the drain at the back is blocked but I don't see how this would cause the shelves to get wet as they're above the drain.

Someone already tried clearing the drain with a thin knitting needle but that may have done more harm than good. As it's an integrated fridge it's very difficult to access the back and I'm not even sure it's possible. I had a free standing fridge in the past which had a tray underneath that collected water if the freezer defrosted, but not sure if my current one has that.

I read something about mini plungers that come with fridges but I don't remember getting one. I also read another post saying if the door isn't closing or sealed properly it would cause moisture build up. I checked my door and it seems to close ok, although it's difficult to see as it's covered by the panel door.

Do integrated fridges have a water collection tray? If so how would I access it?
    Is the problem caused by the drain getting blocked, and if so how do I clear it?

Pics attached - if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears 👍

The door isn’t closing properly and sealing shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

for me it was the drain at the back , unblocked from inside the fridge for the hole that goes to the drip tray,and cleaned using a cotton bud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you undo the two screws that hold the cupboard door to the fridge door and shut the fridge door, you should be able to see if the door closes fully.
    Its likely that the fridge needs to be moved forward a small amount to allow the fridge door to seal effectively.
    It only needs a very small gap to allow air in which will end up condensing on the back of the fridge and causing dampness.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 colm ross

had the same problem. in my case it was the food packaging touching the back wall of the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Idioteque

colm ross wrote: »
    had the same problem. in my case it was the food packaging touching the back wall of the fridge.

Was just about to post the same thing. Only happens in mine when stuff touching back wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bauney

mr c wrote: »
    for me it was the drain at the back , unblocked from inside the fridge for the hole that goes to the drip tray,and cleaned using a cotton bud

Same as me. The little drain at the back of inside of the fridge wall (which I never knew existed) was blocked. Used a cocktail stick to unclog it. Happened twice in 8 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you might have to defrost freezer what make is it
    is the rubber seal good around the door

https://www.networx.com/article/my-fridge-is-leaking-inside-what-should

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Advertisement