Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Eir and Landlines

• 27-09-2020 2:20pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some guidance. My folks currently have an FTTC 100mb connection from Eir that supplies their TV/Internet/Phone. (in reality 80Mbps/20Mbps)

Current Configuration
    Netgear VDSL Modem -> Netgear Orbi Solution -> 2 Powerline adapters Feeding the Eir TV boxes.

They still use their landline quite a bit for receiving calls and it is used by their house alarm.

Open Eir has become available in their area (Letter came in the door) and my old man is interested in upgrading his connection.

If we go with a TV/Phone/Internet package form VF or Eir that uses Open Eir 500 or 1000 what happens to the landline? I ask as the house is large and the kit supplied by the ISP has never been able to supply the coverage reuquired which is why the Mesh system is installed. As I understand it, using your own Router means no phoneline right?

What are our options? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The F3000/HG569/Gigabox provides an ATA(phone port).

There is a product from OE that leaves POTS and adds FTTH but Im not sure if anyone sells that anymore. I certainly wouldnt trust a CSR to get it right when ordering. Getting the SIP details to use own gear has proven difficult for others.

You could use the mesh as a mesh (not a router) and then keep the ISP modem as router/ATA.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Thanks, thats a real pain.

Wonder if anyone has tired to mix vendors.

Order FTTH from Vodafone and retain the existing POTS with Eir and remove the Broadband package. It's going to cost more but would still work out less then what they're paying right now.

I'll take a look at what's available VOIP wise

Advertisement