Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin before the Tiger, a photograpy project

Options
  • 27-09-2020 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭

Came across this site by a photographer David Jazay who photographed around Dublin in the late 80s and early 90s. Theres a good panorame there of the quays that you can zoom in on, its amazing to see the amount of independent retail shops back then whereas now a lot of those same units are all solicitors or accountants offices.

If you scroll down the end of this page the gallery starts there
    http://davidjazay.com/?page_id=2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

In fairness alot of those buildings were going to come down one way or another if they werent already half fallen apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah for sure, most of them look very dilapidated.

I like the way the Ormonde Hotel has these huge big sash windows in the bedrooms that are all south facing but the hotel decided to embellish them with net curtains- its very 1980s.

Also I never knew there was a Bank of Ireland at the corner of Capel Street and the quays, anyone know what year they closed up that location?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Urban dereliction is hard to understand, different times however.
    It isn't a nice thing to see.

Great pictures of the past.

The building that had "river parade of innocence" was that a mannix Flynn installation ?

The old Joyce's butchers on Benburb Street, ox tongues and the like.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah for sure, most of them look very dilapidated.

I like the way the Ormonde Hotel has these huge big sash windows in the bedrooms that are all south facing but the hotel decided to embellish them with net curtains- its very 1980s.

Also I never knew there was a Bank of Ireland at the corner of Capel Street and the quays, anyone know what year they closed up that location?

It was there until just after the millennium I think.

Heathers footwear in there is a blast from the past for me. I knew his 2 sons in school fairly well and the shop then was just up from the 4 courts and they only closed down a few years ago

• Advertisement

imme wrote: »

Its not that hard when you consider the state Dublin had been in for decades before that. The old Georgian buildlings were allowed go to ruin along time before the 80s resulting in them being used as tenaments and the landlords never had the interest in doing them up as it would have cost them a fortune that they would never have got back so by the 80s the buildings were falling apart

neris wrote: »
    Its not that hard when you consider the state Dublin had been in for decades before that. The old Georgian buildlings were allowed go to ruin along time before the 80s resulting in them being used as tenaments and the landlords never had the interest in doing them up as it would have cost them a fortune that they would never have got back so by the 80s the buildings were falling apart

This was happening in tandem with massive investment in extensive suburban housing estates, public and private.

There was no appetite for preservation.

I was shocked reading only recently how Tailors Hall nearly went by the wayside as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There always seemed to be a disconnect between planning regulations, location and Georgian buildings. On the northside they are uneconomical to repair whereas on the south most of them have been restored and are rented out to legal firms or big corporates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

It'd like something out of a warzone. Pripyat is more enticing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It was there until just after the millennium I think.

An even older image of the bank below. I never realised the building next to it used to be a church. Pretty obvious but it's amazing how you miss all these things even though you've been on the street hundreds of times!

032_Presbyterian_Church_Ormond_Quay.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

What happend to the Georgian buildings is they were first for rich people. I forget the the exact circumstances, however there was a massive flight of the wealthy from Dublin. Then they were rented out as tenements.

It's not too bad there. It worse when you see obviously grand buldings derelict.

This is from his Twitter. A print being packed up to go a customer. Look at the shell suit!

VonLuck wrote: »
    An even older image of the bank below. I never realised the building next to it used to be a church. Pretty obvious but it's amazing how you miss all these things even though you've been on the street hundreds of times!

The old facade of the church has been incorporated into the building that now fills that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I was in Bolton Street College in the late 80s early 90s, so I remember a lot of those old business premises; the Quays, Benburb Street, North King Street etc were all pretty bleak around that time.

Smiles35 wrote: »
    This is from his Twitter. A print being packed up to go a customer. Look at the shell suit!6034073

Picture went missing.

https://twitter.com/DavidJazay/status/1301202572863320066?s=20

Smiles35 wrote: »
    What happend to the Georgian buildings is they were first for rich people. I forget the the exact circumstances, however there was a massive flight of the wealthy from Dublin. Then they were rented out as tenements.

The northside was where they all lived then when the duke of leinster built leinster house the southside became the trendy place to be so they all fecked off over the river leaving the northside to become slums and tenements

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

The northside of the city was deliberately allowed slip into dereliction. I've marvelled over those photographs, they capture a time in Dublin city which has vanished and will never return.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The northside was where they all lived then when the duke of leinster built leinster house the southside became the trendy place to be so they all fecked off over the river leaving the northside to become slums and tenements

The train line allowing them to spread down the southeast coast towards Bray helped too.

Advertisement