Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

solar lights recommendations or info

• 27-09-2020 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

I have bought some of these before, and if I am honest I have never been impressed.

I am looking for some just to throw a little light around the garden at night without really bathing the whole place in light.

Is there any way to ascertain if the ones I am looking at are decent quality other than expensive = good ?

Or is it a case that none = good ?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

some good ones on amazon , i got loads of em , been great so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Try your local garden centre. They will have half decent quality lights. They might be a bit more expensive but will out perform and last longer then ebay items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hal1 wrote: »
    Try your local garden centre. They will have half decent quality lights. They might be a bit more expensive but will out perform and last longer then ebay items.

we got some in woodies over the summer and they are useless.. 5 in a box for 30 euro i think.. they charge if really sunny but most nights won't come on at all.. they either are very bad at holding charge or need a lot sun to charge up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've mixed results. They never seem to last very long.

Could you not run out 12V DC cable from the garden room and wire some waterproof LEDs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Lumen wrote: »

Could you not run out 12V DC cable from the garden room and wire some waterproof LEDs?

I could but I like the idea of them just being on around the garden without me having to turn them on.

Given the amount of shouting about turning off lights i do indoors - me leaving ones on in the garden is going to backfire on me badly !

They dont need to be on strong, just twinkling in the background will do.

Sounds like its pot luck though !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I got really good glass bricks in B&Q at €6/ea last year and they're going great. Basically a glass brick on 5 sides, so only the underside could get wet and htat's well sealed
    Had zero luck with fariy lights, they leaked and died. Same with the solar panel for the garden shed light. Gonna rewire that for regular rechargables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

I have several branded Topelek/litom from Amazon fence lights. Fine since 2018. Dim but ok. Obviously not so incredible winter months but get few hours

Advertisement