Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saving issues.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

'She brings herself.

His attitude is not acceptable in a grown man to me.'

'She brings herself' doesn't quite cut the mustard though does it? I mean, he brings himself too doesn't he?

I think this approach is borne of another time when the woman was the heart of the home and the man made all the money. It's very different now and even divorce outcomes are less female centric than they once were.

For my 2 cents, I have no problem with his contribution being the lions share simply because he has it and she doesn't but she should definitely make a meaningful contribution now and going forward. The fact that this is bothering him at all means she needs to deal with it, the relationship needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

She is probably contributing to the relationship in other ways. :rolleyes:

Different people bring different things to the table.

She brings herself.

His attitude is not acceptable in a grown man to me.

Yes I would expect that.

But you are not a BAD guy per say. That would be very judgemental.

I don't know what has developed your character and thinking about money etc. You seem tight to me. But that obviously isn't how you see yourself. That is my perception. Its an individual thing.

My brother for example pays for all the rent and expenses for his GF. All his friends do the same. In fact one of his friends married a girl from China and there the guy has to buy the woman a house before they get married. It took them much longer to do so ....if she had helped ...they could have gotten it much sooner.

Are you sure you really love her?

I mean if you loved her .... i don't think you would be thinking this way. You would want to give it to her. I think you should take pride in having saved the money yourself etc.

Its not uncommon for the guy to have a house or buy property before even getting engaged. Or to have the money.

You seem to want her quality of life to go down ....she should get another job etc work her fingers to the bone..to save when you already have the money. I don't think that's wise.

I honestly DONT think you have her best interests at heart. You don't want the best for her. But are concerned about protecting your money.

And that is probably how it seems to her. And she knows you already have the money etc.

I mean you realize when you marry etc she will own half of everything you own anyway right?

Same pretty much if you move in.

If you have an issue considering half the money you have hers. Don't move in with her. That would be my genuine fair advice to you.

It's clear that is the way she is thinking. Whether you agree with it or not.

I am not sure why you would move in with anyone knowing that if you feel this way about money. The best thing for you to do would be to buy the house yourself ...and not move in with her.

Is it possible she is from a wealthier background than you?

What a load of shyte.

If you loved her, you wouldn't feel this way, you would want to just give her the money.

OP, ignore every word of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Any decent partner will save and contribute their own savings into a relationship when they can afford to. There is no alternative in a relationship with mutual respect for each other.

It's not fair to expect her to match your savings if you've had a few years head start, but right now you should both be reasonably contributing to savings for a house (we do it proportionally in our house, higher earner pays more but has more pocket money).

Don't listen to that out dated nonsense above, you clearly don't want the kind of backwards outdated relationship, don't let anyone talk you into it, it's no longer the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

She brings herself.

Yes I would expect that.

I don't know what has developed your character and thinking about money etc. You seem tight to me. But that obviously isn't how you see yourself. That is my perception. Its an individual thing.

My brother for example pays for all the rent and expenses for his GF. All his friends do the same. In fact one of his friends married a girl from China and there the guy has to buy the woman a house before they get married. It took them much longer to do so ....if she had helped ...they could have gotten it much sooner.

I mean if you loved her .... i don't think you would be thinking this way. You would want to give it to her. I think you should take pride in having saved the money yourself etc.

Its not uncommon for the guy to have a house or buy property before even getting engaged. Or to have the money.

You seem to want her quality of life to go down ....she should get another job etc work her fingers to the bone..to save when you already have the money. I don't think that's wise.

I honestly DONT think you have her best interests at heart. You don't want the best for her. But are concerned about protecting your money.

And that is probably how it seems to her. And she knows you already have the money etc.

I mean you realize when you marry etc she will own half of everything you own anyway right?

If you have an issue considering half the money you have hers. Don't move in with her. That would be my genuine fair advice to you.

I am not sure why you would move in with anyone knowing that if you feel this way about money. The best thing for you to do would be to buy the house yourself ...and not move in with her.

Wow, wow, wow.

Didn't realise peope with this attitude actually still existed in the 21st century.

OP, just walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

She brings herself.

Yes I would expect that.

what a bunch of crap.

You say the OP is tight?

He's working twice the hours and paying more than twice the rent of his leech of a girlfriend.

Op...you should move out and get a place of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The fact she is not willing to contribute anything is a major red flag. Why should I? Really?

There is no way all her friends partners are like this. No way in this day and age. Don't fall for it. What's going to happen when you have kids or hit bad financial times? Is she going to sit back and let you do everything.

I love my partner very much but there is no way I would pay for everything unless he was unable to work. The comment was made that you don't love her or you wouldn't do it. What about her feelings towards you? She can't even be arsed saving a small amount?

You are being taken for a ride here. Don't do it. It will only end in misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Pkiernan wrote: »
    what a bunch of crap.

You say the OP is tight?

He's working twice the hours and paying more than twice the rent of his leech of a girlfriend.

Op...you should move out and get a place of your own.

Its actually quite normal. A lot of women let on they are way more independant than they are.

Then he can walk.

Yeah he's tight.

She obv feels money is part of what he brings to the table.

And she obv wants a man who does bring money to the table. If people need to have it spelled out. I doubt she would stay with him if he refused to use his money for the whole thing. I think she would walk.

TBH he feels that about her too ...he is asking her to bring money to the table.

The OP wants to be in HER position if you know what i mean.

He should probably walk.

osarusan wrote: »
    What a load of shyte.

If you loved her, you wouldn't feel this way, you would want to just give her the money.

OP, ignore every word of it.
    Money is a language.

What you do with it ..says a lot about the way you feel.

He doesn't love her ..and definitely not who she really is.

I mean you yourself are all saying walk.

He should walk.

Its actually quite normal. A lot of women let on they are way more independant than they are.

Then he can walk.

Yeah he's tight.

She obv feels money is part of what he brings to the table.

And she obv wants a man who does bring money to the table. If people need to have it spelled out. I doubt she would stay with him if he refused to use his money for the whole thing. I think she would walk.

TBH he feels that about her too ...he is asking her to bring money to the table.

Guessing you don't subscribe to equality then!!

I'm really hoping that you are just playing devils advocate in this thread and really don't hold the attitude you are displaying on here in real life.

• Advertisement

It's not the 1950s and men no longer need to pay for anything or should they. If you have respect for your partner you will contribute.

Unless she is at home full time minding children then there is no reason in the world for him to pay for anything. If she expects this then she is going to find it very difficult to find a partner that will put up with this.

Money is a language.

What you do with it ..says a lot about the way you feel.

He doesn't love her ..and definitely not who she really is.

I mean you yourself are all saying walk.

He should walk.

He doesn't love her because he won't be taken advantage of? Maybe he just loves himself and has some respect for himself?

My female friends are solicitors, accountants, GPs, pharmacists, team leaders and restaurant managers etc. we're all able to live quite independently (some single some married) , it's the norm where we're from to expect to contribute.

I'd say it's the norm for most Irish women in their late twenties and early thirties.

I know as many homes where the women are the bread winners compared to the men, in my peer group, but everyone pays what they can.

He doesn't love her because he won't be taken advantage of? Maybe he just loves himself and has some respect for himself?
    If he feels that way he should move on.

If he feels that way he should move on.

I completely agree. They are obviously not compatible on such an important issue.

GingerLily wrote: »
    My female friends are solicitors, accountants, GPs, pharmacists, team leaders and restaurant managers etc. we're all able to live quite independently (some single some married) , it's the norm where we're from to expect to contribute.

I'd say it's the norm for most Irish women in their late twenties and early thirties.

I know as many homes where the women are the bread winners compared to the men, in my peer group, but everyone pays what they can.

That would be the norm for people I know and family as well.

• Advertisement

I completely agree. They are obviously not compatible on such an important issue.
    Then he should tell her tomorrow.

Give her an ultimatum. Or better yet just walk. Best not string it out.

Im in my twenties ..all my friends and my brother etc the men are the bread winners.

I would say you are wrong. I know a lot of women who were accountants etc before they married.

But I wish them all the best. :)

If you're only in your twenties I think you're very premature to assume you actually know what's going on with the finances in other people's relationships and how that changes when you get older.

People fresh out of college in their twenties and people in their thirties have completely different finances.

If you're only in your twenties I think you're very premature to assume you actually know what's going on with the finances in other people's relationships and how that changes when you get older.

People fresh out of college in their twenties and people in their thirties have completely different finances.

I used to work in a mortgage shop. (mortgage brokerage)

It doesn't really matter to be me what others do.

They can do them. I do me. Etc.

If its not the 'norm' ....you can say the op's girlfriend ..you are not being normal etc. I doubt it will change her though. As she is getting validation from her friends about it. They are doing the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

ILoveYourVibes is possibly trolling or genuinely belives what they belive. That's fine.

This whole "The men pays for everything" has long sailed that boat and if the OP's girlfriend also thinks that well I'm sorry but when $hit does hit the fan, house is bought and OP loses their job, where will the girlfriend go then? My thinking, she will blame OP and off she goes elsewhere and he's left picking up the pieces and let's everyone think OP was the problem.

If this was a woman posting the same thread using the same scenario, she would also be told to leave her partner and she's worth more than that burden so that goes for OP.

Regardless of who you are, where you're from, it's a given that as a couple who would like to have a future together, to contribute. If one takes the burden of it all, often it ends in complete disaster. Especially if marriage is on the cards further down the line, how does the girlfriend expect OP to pay for a mortage and save for a wedding? I may be adding more example problems here but it goes line in line. I'm sensing the house savings isn't the first of their fiancial arguments and it won't be the last, if they do go ahead and buy a house.

We are all entitled to an opinion and OP asked for advice which I do hope they take into consideration as I firmly believe a house purchase is a big commitment and nothing something they should take lightly so the girlfriend needs a stern word or two, if he doesn't and her friends think the partners should pay, then it's clear the girlfriend is living in La La Land and hasn't been in touch with reality or better still, has never experience life's problems (which let's face it we've all had our fair shares with probably more too come) It's part and parcel of life.

But for a commenter to state that OP is being tight. I'm drawing the line there. There's being tight to the point of pealing oranges in your pockets and there's using common sense. OP stated they've worked many hours to gather enough for a deposit, that itself shows determination as it is. For his girlfriend to point blank refuse to help, then no I'm sorry, she's taking him for a ride. She doesn't necessarily have to get another job or do more hours herself but she could at least put SOMETHING towards the deposit, if not make an agreement towards house bills etc. But I am leaning towards the girlfriend being more than happy to let OP do literally everything and then walk away when things aren't going well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

OP, the most important thing when going into a legally binding financial relationship with someone is that you’re on the same page with money. If she didn’t have savings but was living within her means and doing her best to increase her wages etc then great. But she has no intention of paying her way of reining in her spending to do this.

Please bear in mind that if you buy yourself and she moves in she is entitled to a share of the house after a length of time due to cohabitation laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Time to sit down for a long hard talk OP.

Your partner not saving money, is it a delay tactic? Do they really want to buy a house?

Personally I'd walk away. It's the mortgage now, next it will be bills, new cars, kids) if they are on the agenda).

If your partner is unwilling to contribute financially I would take that as a sign of immaturity, selfishness, and lack of commitment.

I used to work in a mortgage shop. (mortgage brokerage)

It doesn't really matter to be me what others do.

They can do them. I do me. Etc.

If its not the 'norm' ....you can say the op's girlfriend ..you are not being normal etc. I doubt it will change her though. As she is getting validation from her friends about it. They are doing the same thing.

So you worked in a mortgage broker and you witness couples applying for mortgages where only one saved and the worked and had a wage but p*ssed away their full income? Did they typically get a mortgage? Not a chance for people on normal wages.

No one here is judging supporting a partner through education or child rearing, but if your both working you both should contribute.

The fact that she is not willing to contribute anything would be a red flag. Not even offer a small amount is very strange. What happens if you loose your job or even your overtime, is she just going to sit there and wait for money to magically appear.

You have to be able to rely on someone and the fact she is willing not to contribute anything is a major red flag. Of she had said oh you have the deposit I will save towards furniture or something. Just to make an effort.

So you worked in a mortgage broker and you witness couples applying for mortgages where only one saved and the worked and had a wage but p*ssed away their full income? Did they typically get a mortgage? Not a chance for people on normal wages.

No one here is judging supporting a partner through education or child rearing, but if your both working you both should contribute.

OH YEAH!

It was more likely the guy paid in ....80% ...and the woman something tho.
    I rarely saw a woman put in like 50% or more than that. And in that case she might be buying alone.
    Its mostly parents that seemed to help.

OH YEAH!

I rarely saw a woman put in like 50% or more than that. And in that case she might be buying alone.

So they did contribute, thanks for clearing that up!!

I would wonder about her commitment to you and the relationship if she is not willing to pay for anything.

The thing is op.

If you marry her ...it does not matter what she contributes. She could give you something NOW and not work again etc.
    Half of NOT just the house ..but everything of yours ..is hers.

SO maybe think about that.
    I would wonder about her commitment to you and the relationship if she is not willing to pay for anything.

Where people put their money ..says a lot.

So they did contribute, thanks for clearing that up!!
    that's pocket money.

Its kind of women telling themselves 'im independant' etc.

You are correct tho. They contributed. Many didnt tho..it was less so ..but not rare.

She brings herself.

Yes I would expect that.

Some of the worst "advice" I've ever read on here. Pure projection.

If she is from a "wealthier background" than him, it's a shame her parents never passed on their financial sense, considering their daughter's inability to save a cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

In fairness, the thread has no examples to show the girlfriend is pissing through money. It could easily be the case the OP is a tight ass and forcing something that is beyond her means. We don't know what area the girlfriend works in, easy for those with professional jobs and Covit secure jobs to talk.

• Advertisement

that's pocket money.

You are correct tho. They contributed. Many didnt tho..it was less so ..but not rare.

Houses are expensive. There are very few people who can buy them on one wage be realistic obviously most people in Ireland are buying houses on two wages.

That's a fact

Some of the worst "advice" I've ever read on here. Pure projection.

If she is from a "wealthier background" than him, it's a shame her parents never passed on their financial sense, considering their daughter's inability to save a cent.

Actually this has just given me a good idea.

OP could you approach her parents and ask them to contribute?

Or would this be a no go?

If they gave HER something towards it ...she might put in a bit?? It might make her feel there was less pressure ..get her started?

OH YEAH!

But the lady in question here would be putting ZERO in.

But the lady in question here would be putting ZERO in.

I guess she would be bringing zero to the table.

OP she is not going to change unless you up and leave.

Suggest a break or something.

If they gave HER something towards it ...she might put in a bit?? It might make her feel there was less pressure ..get her started?

And what about the monthly mortgage payments? Should he go cap in hand every month th for her parents to pay their adult daughters portion?

Go back to your silver spoon life which isn't the current reality in the 21st century.

that's pocket money.

So your saying it wouldn't be the norm to not contribute? Lol

Also wanted to add - brokers mortgage applications are not the same profile of applicant on average compared to applications that go direct to banks, so your basing your conclusions off bias data.

Go away with you "I'm independent" stuff, this PI is about couples finances, not women who are financially independent, they're not the same thing (hint couples usually buy large things together).

Or OP, how about just finding a sensible, grown-up partner who won't be a leech on your future?

I am not trolling. Maybe we are just at cross purposes.

Anyhow. I am not responding to insults. Its not helpful to personal issues.

Its not fair to me either. I feel its possible to be able to talk respectfully without insults and emotional reactions.

My best to the OP whatever he decides.

I've enjoyed the discussion. Its been eye opening.

Best to all in the thread too :)

that's pocket money.

I've had an apointment with a broker and a financial advisor in a bank branch and both have said equal contributions prove that one can carry on the payments of a mortage in case the other loses their job or for medical reasons. If not equal than, one might save (for a stupid example) €10 more than the other which still proves payments can be paid. So essentially, a couple HAS to have savings themselves, whether thats a joint or savings in their own accounts but either ways.

If I went to a bank and asked for a mortage from my own deposit and my partner wanted to be on the mortage with me with no savings, no contributions, I've been told that I would be seen as a single applicant as my partner would have no proof of saving therefore, not being able to afford that nice 4 bedroom house we could pay off as a couple but probably a 1 bed apartment (which still wouldn't be possible depending) as my salary wouldn't cover the lovely house we wanted even though my partner is living with me even though I want him on the mortage.

So now you're saying, as a broker yourself with many experiences and scenarios you've come across, that actually wait, if my partner can show he has independent money as you would refer it too, that that 4 bedroom house will be purchased because I've sweated my arse off to raise a deposit and my partner actually doesn't want to help at all? So if something was to happen to me and my partner, with no job, can't pay the mortage because he's an independent man who doesn't need a woman to tell him what to do with his money, that it's that easy to get a mortage?

Please. Send me a your details and sign me up to the first house we see because you sound legit.

The same was for my grandparents when they bought their first house way back when. They both had to have savings, my granddad did moreso but my nanny had to show she had something too and even at that it was close call as they were told my nanny wasn't earning enough. It wasn't a case of, the men had the money and the women done feck all.

This one has to be trolling

• Advertisement

They look at the savings of both when applying for a mortgage. There is no way the bank will just ignore no savings record.

They look at the savings of both when applying for a mortgage. There is no way the bank will just ignore no savings record.

According to ILoveYourVibes, you just need independent money. Whatever that is.

Zebrag wrote: »
    According to ILoveYourVibes, you just need independent money. Whatever that is.

Also known as handouts from the parents.

Also known as handouts from the parents.

Would that be classed as a gift? I get some people would need to ask a parent/s for a little bit of help which I understand but surely the banks can't just assume money given is money seen as saved?

I need new parents so!

I've had an apointment with a broker and a financial advisor in a bank branch and both have said equal contributions prove that one can carry on the payments of a mortage in case the other loses their job or for medical reasons. If not equal than, one might save (for a stupid example) €10 more than the other which still proves payments can be paid. So essentially, a couple HAS to have savings themselves, whether thats a joint or savings in their own accounts but either ways.

If I went to a bank and asked for a mortage from my own deposit and my partner wanted to be on the mortage with me with no savings, no contributions, I've been told that I would be seen as a single applicant as my partner would have no proof of saving therefore, not being able to afford that nice 4 bedroom house we could pay off as a couple but probably a 1 bed apartment (which still wouldn't be possible depending) as my salary wouldn't cover the lovely house we wanted even though my partner is living with me even though I want him on the mortage.

So now you're saying, as a broker yourself with many experiences and scenarios you've come across, that actually wait, if my partner can show he has independent money as you would refer it too, that that 4 bedroom house will be purchased because I've sweated my arse off to raise a deposit and my partner actually doesn't want to help at all? So if something was to happen to me and my partner, with no job, can't pay the mortage because he's an independent man who doesn't need a woman to tell him what to do with his money, that it's that easy to get a mortage?

Please. Send me a your details and sign me up to the first house we see because you sound legit.

The same was for my grandparents when they bought their first house way back when. They both had to have savings, my granddad did moreso but my nanny had to show she had something too and even at that it was close call as they were told my nanny wasn't earning enough. It wasn't a case of, the men had the money and the women done feck all.

This one has to be trolling

Im not trolling.

I wasn't A broker myself ..I worked for one.

And you are correct ..anyone whose name is on the mortgage etc ...we needed all their financial info.

You just need proof the other partner CAN. Not that they are going to.

Im sure the OP's GF could do that without her putting money IN actually ...if you understand me?

You just double your borrowing power.
    Mortages for single applicants are common. And you can still have the otehr person's name of the other person on the deed. But its cumbersome because of liens etc. And you might need a quit claim in the future.

But single applicant mortages are common if one partner is not working ..or has bad credit. The fact that you are being TREATED as a single applicant ...kind of shows this.

Its not just earning power its how your spending is measured.

OP .....ask yourself this. Read my posts. Would you like to marry a woman like ME? If not ..walk.

Because she is like me.

No. They won't.

Often its actually best to go as a single applicant. Your partner's history could weaken your borrowing power to the extent that its best to.

Similarly even if they don't contribute much. Their spending or credit history could really help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

mycro2013 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Not sure if this the right thread for this.

Currently in the process of applying for a mortgage. My partner of a number of years seems to think that as I have the deposit saved she should not have the need to save a contributory amount and that my funds should be used for the application.

I've said repeatedly that a house purchase should be a team effort. Any views on this will be greatly appreciated as it a source of disagreement. Thanks.

I'd have a serious issue with this attitude OP.

Your partner needs a serious reality check, she's taking the piss big time.

If she doesn't stump up a sizable contribution then you need to start asking yourself if this the road you want to go down with a life partner.

Would that be classed as a gift? I get some people would need to ask a parent/s for a little bit of help which I understand but surely the banks can't just assume money given is money seen as saved?

I need new parents so!
    Don't worry just helps with deposit.

doesn't affect your borrowing power too much.

Unless your deposit is a huge part of the total sum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

And remember if you put her name on the mortgage, ( which I think would be nuts ) and she contributes nothing, the banks will expect you to pay it in full, but she will retain an interest in it, so would be entitled to her share of it, were it to be sold.
    This type of situation is like a pair of handcuffs, unless you’re very sure you’re happy to basically fund her lifestyle, run. She won’t change.

No. They won't.

Often its actually best to go as a single applicant. Your partner's history could weaken your borrowing power to the extent that its best to.

Similarly even if they don't contribute much. Their spending or credit history could really help.

Of course they do. They get bank accounts for both people applying for the mortgage. You think the bank just say oh no we don't need to know your banking history.

Seriously?

Of course they do. They get bank accounts for both people applying for the mortgage. You think the bank just say oh no we don't need to know your banking history.

Seriously?
    I just said they do. :)

That is WHY often its best to go as a single applicant.

Remember i worked for a broker not a bank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement