Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Ireland 5G

Options

Comments

Tzardine wrote: »
    You have no such "right" to a view of the natural sky.

Correct, I absolutely do. As do most people I suspect. I actually find the satellites fascinating. I would be quite happy to be able to look up and see them.

It's not really.

You are being completely sensationalist. Other than when they are initially launched, it is not possible to see the Starlink satellites with the naked eye anyway.

It was the same when mobile towers started to pop up at first. People were up in arms saying they were going to ruin the countryside and that they should not be allowed. The benefit they provide far outweighs the frivolous complaints of a few people, and it is the exact same situation with satellites.

You're wrong, they are visible, Elon promised to apply some material to make them less reflective but who's going to care anyway, you certainly don't and I'm sure those who just want to sit looking at screens all day won't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 weeb

Still no 5G connection here also on my 5G router.
    I'll be waiting with my fingers crossed that the new EU regulation that stops ISP's from not allowing tethering/different modems has an effect and it just starts working then.

I hope so too, I'll post back here on the day or day after with any updates if I get connected over 5G or not. I don't expect anything to change though.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

While I respectfully disagree, I won't take the thread any further off topic.

Is anybody around Kildare / Monasterevin using 5g on three? Any reports on signal ?

I drove around Monasterevin during the week, didn't see much 5g. Install the nperf app from the store and have a look at the coverage map on that as I was tracking and updating. I'm not expecting much as, eg, I was also on stradbally and getting a 5g signal but several speedtests were pathetically slow, 3g sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

The frequencies used though mean the 5G signals are more obstructed by buildings, leaves on trees etc, this should be interesting in the Summer when the leaves are on trees if People are using this as fixed line internet.

More masts are needed which probably won't happen in the country but 5 G will be more accessible in more populated areas where they already have several high speed broadband choices, seems mad really.

5G doesn't operate at high GHZ yet which got the anti 5G People burning masts. At this frequency there would need to be repeaters basically everywhere which will at this point be better able to pinpoint your location more accurately than GPS and so good in fact you would be able to be located to a single room in a building because the repeaters will have to be everywhere, hidden inside shopping centres also, hospitals etc.

5G in the future will be very beneficial to law enforcement as there'll literally be nowhere to hide as long as you carry the phone and you won't be really able to turn it off as more and more phones come with firmware which makes it impossible to turn off tracking even if you have this option in the software and even having the phone off doesn't stop the tracking while the battery is installed.

• Advertisement

From Comreg

Radio frequencies are a national resource managed by ComReg in accordance with EU law. Certain radio frequency bands are especially suited to mobile networks. There is generally high demand for those bands which is why they are normally granted on foot of competitive award processes, including auctions.

In Europe, three “Pioneer bands” radio frequency bands are marked for future 5G networks – 700 MHz, 3.6 GHz and 26 GHz.

ComReg granted new 3.6 GHz licences to five operators in June 2017 following a spectrum auction. ComReg is also currently consulting on a multi-band spectrum award, to include new licences in the 700 MHz band, and proposes to release new licences in the 26 GHz band through a separate future award. For more information please see the following ComReg webpages: 3.6 GHz band spectrum award; 3.6 GHz band transition; proposed multi-band spectrum award; and Ireland’s national roadmap on the use of the 700 MHz frequency band.

In managing the national radio frequency resource ComReg also monitors compliance with conditions attached to licences and to the general authorisation, including in relation to non-ionising radiation (NIR).

In addition, ComReg facilitates the testing and trialling of new technologies and services with the use of ComReg’s Test and Trial Licensing programme.

so it's interesting that they are consulting about 700 Mhz because this will give the best coverage in the country, they'll probably use 3.6 G in town and citie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

so it's interesting that they are consulting about 700 Mhz because this will give the best coverage in the country, they'll probably use 3.6 G in town and citie

They are nearing the end of the consultation phase, basically preparing for the auction process now. The consultation/auction also includes the 2100/2300/2600 bands and the two latter bands will most likely be used for urban 5G services also.

If they can use 700 Mhz for the country I really think this would be of huge benefit. But could be the case that available equipment can't work on this band and might not for some time ?

But could be the case that available equipment can't work on this band and might not for some time ?

That will be the issue although many countries have been using the band for a few years now, Finland IIRC, launched mobile services in the band way back in early 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If they can use 700 Mhz for the country I really think this would be of huge benefit. But could be the case that available equipment can't work on this band and might not for some time ?

It depends on whether it's stand alone 5G or 4G LTE in the 700 band. Plenty of modems with 700 LTE support that would work but if it's stand alone then it would probably need new equipment.

700 band was used temporarily for 4G earlier this year, might still be in use, the spectrum auction will formalise it next year.

https://www.comreg.ie/comreg-to-release-more-radio-spectrum-to-boost-mobile-phone-broadband-capacity/

https://www.comreg.ie/industry/radio-spectrum/spectrum-awards/covid-19-temporary-spectrum-management-measures/

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    It depends on whether it's stand alone 5G or 4G LTE in the 700 band. Plenty of modems with 700 LTE support that would work but if it's stand alone then it would probably need new equipment.

700 band was used temporarily for 4G earlier this year, might still be in use, the spectrum auction will formalise it next year.

Renewed back in Oct IIRC, for up to 6 months.

5G NSA probably unless SA is mainstream by the time the networks are ready to launch in acquired spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Is there any way of knowing which masts will be upgraded to 5G in the coming months?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

5G Speedtest today going over 1000mb with an average of 863mb in Cork City today.

5G Speedtest today going over 1000mb with an average of 863mb in Cork City today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Cork981 wrote: »

What device was that on?
    Was it inside or out?
    Were you far from the mast?

What device was that on?
    Was it inside or out?
    Were you far from the mast?

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Outside but in a car about 200m from the mast which is located in the Eir exchange in churchfield which would have good fibre backhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bazrushe

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Outside but in a car about 200m from the mast which is located in the Eir exchange in churchfield which would have good fibre backhaul.

I see your on the three network are you bill or payg.Also did you buy your phone from three or just buty a three sim pretty amazing speed to be pulling in.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Nice one, those are pretty good speeds alright, I've heard of other people anecdotally getting 100/200mb, which is pretty poor for 5g, as some 4g+ connections are delivering 300-350Mb.

bazrushe wrote: »
    I see your on the three network are you bill or payg.Also did you buy your phone from three or just buty a three sim pretty amazing speed to be pulling in.Thanks

The phone came directly from Apple and I order a pay as you go SIM from Three with the 5G addon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Wow that is some speed! A gigabit connection in your phone! We truly live in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Wow that is some speed! A gigabit connection in your phone! We truly live in the future.

What would you be doing with all this speed on your phone tho? You still can watch only one RedTube video at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

alex_r wrote: »
    What would you be doing with all this speed on your phone tho? You still can watch only one RedTube video at a time.

Nothing. In fact I don't need more than 50mbps down and maybe 20mbps up.

It's not the top that I am interested in now, it's the bottom. What this does in terms of pushing things down. Prices, commoditization, and at the same time and most importantly data limits. Hopefully very soon with the advent of 5G, data limits (including that false advertisement fair usage nonsense) will be a thing of the past once and for all.

I remember years ago I had to get the top of the line, the most expensive package to get good speeds. I used to be that top percent who needed the fastest, with the highest limits. Using more data than a whole family would at the time.

Nowadays it's the complete opposite. With all the Netflix, Amazon, AppleTV streaming, IPTV, PlayStation updates and Spotify an average person requires a lot more data and speed than I do. The technology and the requirements have completely out paced me and I love it! A family of three or four especially if they have two teen children consumes A LOT of data. It's great when somebody else is digging the tunnel, pushing for more speeds and data and you're just following behind.

Now I get the cheapest, slowest Internet and it's still more than I need.

But besides all that, it's just a marvel to have such speeds nowadays. 1gbps is insane if you think about it and let it hit you just how fast it is. Everybody was cheering and celebrating on boards when UPC (or was it NTL?) upgraded speeds to 10mbps years ago and now you have 1gbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 weeb

For those of you who were also anticipating for potential 5G on routers on the 21st, Three have silently posted an update to their website.
    The EECC, EU Directive 2018/1972, was due to comes into effect on 21 December 2020. The EECC sets out revisions to the existing telecoms regulatory framework. As the EECC is a European Directive, it needs to be transposed (or implemented into) Irish law to become effective here in Ireland. Three has been informed by the Government that the implementation of the EECC will not take place on 21 December 2020. This is because the Irish legislation still needs finalised. The new implementation date is expected to be in of the first half of 2021. We will communicate the new date as soon as we have more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a dunce with it comes to download speeds so hoping you might help. I'm in cork city at the moment, I have a 5G enabled phone so for fun I went and got a three SIM to test it. I downloaded a free speed checker. The 5G seems to download over 500mbps while the second file is my Vodafone broadband which is about 50mbps. Surely this can't be right? I thought I had fiber broadband, does this mean 5G is ten times better than my broadband?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    The 5G seems to download over 500mbps while the second file is my Vodafone broadband which is about 50mbps. Surely this can't be right? I thought I had fiber broadband, does this mean 5G is ten times better than my broadband?

I assume you have Vodafone "fibre" broadband over your copper line to the house (FTTC) and not true fibre cable to the house? Fibre over copper is just a marketing term with max speed of 100 Mbps if you are close to the exchange/cabinet.

True fibre to the home (FTTH) will give you speeds up to 1 Gbps regardless of distance.

The Cush wrote: »
    I assume you have Vodafone "fibre" broadband over your copper line to the house (FTTC) and not true fibre cable to the house? Fibre over copper is just a marketing term with max speed of 100 Mbps if you are close to the exchange/cabinet.

True fibre to the home (FTTH) will give you speeds up to 1 Gbps regardless of distance.

Thanks for that, yeah I'd say you're right. Half thinking of cancelling the broadband now and getting myself a router from Amazon. Looked at the three website to buy one and I don't have 5G in my area yet apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Be careful, routers which have not been bought directly from three are not working at the moment on their network.

Be careful, routers which have not been bought directly from three are not working at the moment on their network.

Oh right, is that any router or if I got the same type of router they're selling would that be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Oh right, is that any router or if I got the same type of router they're selling would that be ok?

It appears to be all routers, even if its the same model that they sell themselves.

• Advertisement

It appears to be all routers, even if its the same model that they sell themselves.

Thanks for that. One more question if you don't mind. I tried to buy a broadband plan from three but they won't let me because there's no broadband network. I'm on 5G on my phone but the agent told me the phone and broadband 5G networks are different. Is this true? It seems strange to me.

Advertisement