Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Ireland 5G

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

They don't list it on their site as a supported device. I've a pixel 5 which also supports it but the carrier settings have it disabled. Could be a long time before they get them updated to allow it given how long it took for them to enable 5g on the pixel devices

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

Ah, that's a pain in the ass. I don't understand why they don't enable it for all devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I've just read that Vodafone and Hutchinson are to merge their operations in the UK. A deal is supposed to be formally announced between the companies by this Friday.

I know that 3 is owned by Hutchinson here in Ireland. Would it make any financial sense to allow Vodafone and Hutchinson to merge their Irish operations at any time in the near future? Or is it legally not a runner?

I don't know if our own competition laws here would prevent it to even take place?

Any thoughts here would be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Would be sad to see 3 leave the UK market if that does ahead.

Am I right in saying if three left here there would only 2 outright networks? Eir and Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

I don't see Three and Vodafone merging here to be honest on regulatory grounds (and the Vodafone/Three UK deal is still subject to regulatory approval which is by no means certain).

Here, Vodafone are still the dominant player and Three are comfortably in second place. Both are profitable. A merger would see us left with only two major operators, a combined Vodafone/Three with a significant market share, and Eir, so chances are a merger would instantly fail on the basis of competition.

Whereas in the UK, Vodafone are lagging behind behind EE and VMO2 and Three are still struggling to make any sort of inroads into the market. Both are heavily indebted and that's a situation that is getting worse, not better. There would still be three main operators (BT/EE, VirginMedia/O2, and a combined Vodafone/Three) if the merger is cleared.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say we could instead see a joint-venture here between Vodafone and Virgin Media on the mobile end, similar to Virgin Media and O2 in the UK.

We are already seeing inroads in the form of Virgin Media and SIRO (Vodafone/ESB joint-venture) agreeing to allow wholesale access to each other's networks. Virgin Media are mostly urban whereas SIRO are mostly suburban and semi-rural. They don't directly compete as things stand.

Vodafone own their own mobile network whereas Virgin Media are a virtual operator on the Three network. Both operate TV platforms which again tie to the mostly non-competing network footprints, although Vodafone do sell via the OpenEir wholesale network which for the most part competes directly with Virgin Media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Did anyone hear or read about the 3 Ireland store robbery which occurred in Dublin today?

A silver coloured mercedes benz saloon car, which was owned by a criminal gang, was rammed into the store in Dublin's Henry St earlier this morning. The aftermath of the whole affair is been pretty horrific for the store staff. It appears the whole store got completely destroyed by the gang in the process. I guess the staff store who work there will now have a few days off work as the clean-up operation is now underway.

• Why does Three not allow you to manually access its 3G network on 4G/5G iPhones? Popped in an O2 UK simcard to see if it was a carrier specific issue and it seems it is. With O2 you can see the 2G and 3G options in the voice & data menu in addition to 5G Auto, 5G On as well as 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

That's ios that doesn't allow it. Nothing to do with the network.

• Iphone SE 3rd Gen with an O2 UK simcard (roaming on Three). Voice & Data menu:

With a Three simcard the 2G & 3G options aren't there:

Surely depends on the carrier and not the phone?

Just wondering has anyone purchased the 5G Unlimited Gold package from 3?

We are moving house in Jan and are currently on the SIRO fibre package getting 1GB.

unfortunately it’s not available in the new home we are moving to, our options are virgin and eir both offering 100mb packages (I’ve had awful experience with both of these so hoping to avoid)

3 are offering 350mb speeds when entering our address, it’s 39 p.m with 3 months free, I can see one of the neighbours has a 3 router(?) on the outside of their house.

We have 2 home offices and do some gaming as well in evenings so will need to rely on wifi for this. I’ve TP link mesh adapters that I can use to hopefully boost signal.

Any thoughts on this package please? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Once tested and proving to be at least 100Mbps/40Mbps consider €20/28d SIM only rather contract. You will need your own hardware.

Latency could have negative effect in gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its quite likely that three will be faster at 2AM and slower at 8PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Probably ok for most of your needs, maybe ask the neighbour about performance. Gaming is the only thing that could possibly not be as good but most likely ok for the most. Always a 14 day cooling off period signing up online if it’s not up to scratch. Generally I’d still go for a fixed line set up. Once it’s over 50mb or so I’ve no issues really. Would rather have the better latency/ping over a larger download. Still also prefer Eir over Three for mobile bb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭John arse

Watch out for their sneaky consumer price index price increases next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MobileTester

Has enyone tried Three €9.99/month offer yet? Seen this at their store today.

Is it for business or Private users available?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Looks like a good deal for Three. Haven't came across it, I wonder if it's on the website somewhere in the terms section. What store was that picture taken at?

Does that mean anything to you?

Not sure if you're asking but porting is moving your number, AKA it only applies to people bringing their existing number with them (easily arranged).

• Advertisement

nah, its OK.

As per pdf above - that offer does not qualify for me anyway 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭GIMP

I have noticed 3 putting up 5g mono poles, two recently in my own town which is giving great reception. I also noticed they have put up a number in very rural areas 4g/5g enabled only. I am just wondering the logic in rural areas as these mono poles in rural areas as they only give limited reception, would larger masts not make more sense to cover bigger footprints?

Large masts are not in vogue anymore. You want overall RAN capacity thus lots of small sectors not huge ones.

FWIW the monopoles are probably not Three themselves but one of the infra companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 crocked77

Does anyone know where 3 are improving the 5G network? My parents have it for internet but it is flaky at times with higher upload then download speeds and in the evenings it gets much slower although I guess that could be contention.

If upload is higher than download then it’s network congestion. They are probably connected to a very busy mast.

Advertisement