Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Ireland 5G

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Tzardine wrote: »
    Gone again it seems.

Working for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

My father was chatting to Three regarding 5G. I told him to check the price for buying the router outright, so he wouldn't be tied into a new 2 year contract, but he was told he couldn't do that, that he had to take a 2 year contract. I'm assuming there would be no issue just buying the same model online and then adding the 5G add on to avoid the new contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I would like to upgrade to the 5g, but I have no interest in paying €150 for the router and signing a 24 month contract. Router should be free.

Gonna wait a while, I dont see too many taking up the offer at that price. I imagine the router price will fall soon.

• Advertisement

I don't remember Three ever giving a free modem, last time I signed up for them I had to pay around the same, had no choice only 4G were I live at the time anyway. Be interesting to see if I could get 4G where I live but locked into Vodafone contract, with the missus working from home 3 was woeful so had to go to Vodafone, they're not fantastic but they're much more stable and I can get 10 Mbs at least at peak time which is fine for some netflix and some youtube.

Since 3 bought up much more 5G spectrum than any other provider they have a good chance of having the best 5G Network in Ireland.

In order to get 4G I had to buy a booster antenna and install it on a 10 foot pole on the Chimney so if I went to 5G I'd have to buy another and they're not cheap and according to the national broadband site we're supposed to be getting fibre by the end of 2021 so mobile companies can get stuffed had enough of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

chris_ie wrote: »
    My father was chatting to Three regarding 5G. I told him to check the price for buying the router outright, so he wouldn't be tied into a new 2 year contract, but he was told he couldn't do that, that he had to take a 2 year contract. I'm assuming there would be no issue just buying the same model online and then adding the 5G add on to avoid the new contract?

I dunno there seems to be confusion about this. The thread seemed to suggest back along that three have certain routers blocked so I'm not sure do you have to buy through them.

I don't remember Three ever giving a free modem, last time I signed up for them I had to pay around the same, had no choice only 4G were I live at the time anyway.

I have never paid for a modem with them. They have always been free when signing up to an 18 month contract.

I am in the same boat as you, mobile broadband is my only option. Have been using it the past 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Doesn't seem orderable with my address. Coverage map doesn't seem to be worth much (in coverage there):

Nuphor wrote: »
    Doesn't seem orderable with my address. Coverage map doesn't seem to be worth much (in coverage there):

Same for me - coverage map shows that I am in coverage but cant order.

I spoke to them on the phone last week and they said I am 18km from the nearest mast - so the map is clearly nonsense.

• Advertisement

I take it that most people here have no fibre, cable etc ?

Check out this link for the National Broadband. https://nbi.ie/ enter your eircode and see if you're on the list. I certainly wouldn't lock myself in a 2 year contract for 5G if the fibre was passing my front gate.

I have never paid for a modem with them. They have always been free when signing up to an 18 month contract.

I am in the same boat as you, mobile broadband is my only option. Have been using it the past 5 years.

Hmm, maybe I didn't pay for it then ? honestly thought I did.

Well, I'm on the list for fibre by the end of 2021 so check out the link to the National Broadband and see if you're on the list. I wouldn't lock myself in any contract now after seeing I'm on the list, by the time it arrives we'll be out of the Vodafone contract. I found Vodafone much better than 3 for 4G at least where I live but 3 should have much better 5G due to the amount of spectrum they bought.

I take it that most people here have no fibre, cable etc ?

Check out this link for the National Broadband. https://nbi.ie/ enter your eircode and see if you're on the list. I certainly wouldn't lock myself in a 2 year contract for 5G if the fibre was passing my front gate.

Yeah I have no options other than MBB. Tried out Eir and I was on 0.7mbps and to add insult to injury it kept dropping every 5 mins. I am about as far out from the copper exchange as you can get.

Its been a while since I looked at the NBI thing, but are they still working off a minimum speed of 30mbps.

5G MBB would be much more preferable if this was the case.

Yeah I have no options other than MBB. Tried out Eir and I was on 0.7mbps and to add insult to injury it kept dropping every 5 mins. I am about as far out from the copper exchange as you can get.

Its been a while since I looked at the NBI thing, but are they still working off a minimum speed of 30mbps.

5G MBB would be much more preferable if this was the case.

No 500 Mbs is to be the minimum speed.

https://nbi.ie/news/latest/2020/08/14/nbi-increases-minimum-speeds-for-the-national-broadband-plan-to-500mbps/

To be honest I'd be happy with 100 Mbs.

I'd advise anyone interested in 5G that can't get anything else other than 4G 5G to look up the NBI.ie site to see if you are on the list, it's not that long ago last time I checked and it sad I wasn't on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

You could try a router with 4G+ capability. Then try out each network for a plan that allows it, eg Vodafone X is unlikely to allow 4G+ reception. Three might allow it, bit of trial and error required to get the best option.

Networks seem to be moving towards limiting service so that they can give 5G a bit of 4G spectrum to sell 5G contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

I'd advise anyone interested in 5G that can't get anything else other than 4G 5G to look up the NBI.ie site to see if you are on the list, it's not that long ago last time I checked and it sad I wasn't on the list.

The problem with the national broadband plan is when we are going to get connected. We were surveyed last April and still have no connection date, have contacted them and have been sent back the same generic answer.
    If 5g is available within the next couple of months we might have no alternative but to take it.

Elon will have us all sorted in 2021 with 100Mb broadband .

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

Similar story as others in the thread (though I'm doing this for my parents). Their closest village was covered by the OpenEIR fibre rollout but it didn't pass them. They would only get 8Mbps down 384kbps up on ADSL2+ which is completely useless as my dad makes use of cloud storage and video calls.

NBI has them at "Pending Survey", and given the village already has FTTH, I'd say they won't be passed for another few years.

Vodafone and eir are on the wrong side of the hill (2G signal only), so 3 is the only option. But the good news there is that they are in direct sight of the tower and get a strong 5G signal. The box just won't connect on it for whatever reason. The new box does hit 200Mbps down on 4G when it's quiet, which is a lot better than the old B315 so that's something at least.

I've bought a 5G phone as a gift for Christmas (Xiaomi Mi10T Lite 5G), so I'll pop the SIM into it when I'm down at the weekend to see if that works. I'll be waiting with my fingers crossed that the new EU regulation that stops ISP's from not allowing tethering/different modems has an effect and it just starts working then.

It seems more likely at the moment that the 5G signal is "live" and broadcasting (i.e. the coverage map), but the data backhaul hasn't actually been switched on yet for all masts. Hopefully it will be soon.

tiny timy wrote: »
    Elon will have us all sorted in 2021 with 100Mb broadband .

Not to go off on a rant but I think Elon being allowed to pollute they skies with thousands and thousands of satellites is a massive disgrace. Who gives People the right to litter the skies with space junk like this ? it's bad enough the light pollution.

• Advertisement

Not to go off on a rant but I think Elon being allowed to pollute they skies with thousands and thousands of satellites is a massive disgrace. Who gives People the right to litter the skies with space junk like this ? it's bad enough the light pollution.

I'm having a laugh, relax!

I look at it differently. Nobody owns space. He has every right. Who gives somebody the right to say he cannot do it?

Starlink will have unbelievable benefits to millions of people in properly rural areas that have no hope of broadband. Think of schools in areas of Africa and South America as one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dizzledizzle75

fennor72 wrote: »
    I also asked him about the coverage radius of a 5g mast, I've heard there's a mast in Mullingar but it only has a coverage of about 1.5 km.
    He half agreed with me but said the more masts that came online the better the coverage.

I was onto Three on Friday, they told me that I was less than 500m from the nearest 5G mast and to go to a store where I could order 5G broadband. Off I went on Saturday, happy as larry to be then only told that 5G might be in my area for mobile devices but not for broadband. I don't know whether the person on the three chat is right and the store wrong or visa versa, nobody can seem to tell me 100% if I can or cannot get it, right pain. I don't have a 5G device to test it myself which is a shame.

tiny timy wrote: »
    I'm having a laugh, relax!

Can't relax when I think of Elon Pollution :D

I look at it differently. Nobody owns space. He has every right. Who gives somebody the right to say he cannot do it?

Starlink will have unbelievable benefits to millions of people in properly rural areas that have no hope of broadband. Think of schools in areas of Africa and South America as one example.

No "should have " the right to send thousands and thousands to space junk to circle the earth ruining the natural view of the sky surely this is more important than internet ? How much destruction will we do to this earth and beyond ? there's already enough junk up there.

No "should have " the right to send thousands and thousands to space junk to circle the earth ruining the natural view of the sky surely this is more important than internet ? How much destruction will we do to this earth and beyond ? there's already enough junk up there.

While I respectfully disagree, I won't take the thread any further off topic.

Is anybody around Kildare / Monasterevin using 5g on three? Any reports on signal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I was onto Three on Friday, they told me that I was less than 500m from the nearest 5G mast and to go to a store where I could order 5G broadband. Off I went on Saturday, happy as larry to be then only told that 5G might be in my area for mobile devices but not for broadband. I don't know whether the person on the three chat is right and the store wrong or visa versa, nobody can seem to tell me 100% if I can or cannot get it, right pain. I don't have a 5G device to test it myself which is a shame.

I was in a store over the weekend, asked the usual 5g coverage questions, was due an upgrade on my 4g broadband and computer said NO, the store said its a mess, inundated with queries from 3 care, all told 5g available but store systems say no, also Curious is stores are getting returns from sales done online, there was 2 in the Q behind me, stores can't process returns on online purchases, device has to be sent back by customers to directly.

Essentially I was informally told, ignore maps and forget about 5g broadband for the foreseeable future. It's being sold on the basis of a strict coverage check at stores (good), the maps and 3 say 5g in every county, which appears to be total nonsense (Bad)

Caution I advise.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

While I respectfully disagree, I won't take the thread any further off topic.

?

Right, so internet for all at any expense ? right to a view of the Natural sky removed, what next ? obviously you care more about internet than the view of the night sky and that is rather sad.

fennor72 wrote: »
    The problem with the national broadband plan is when we are going to get connected. We were surveyed last April and still have no connection date, have contacted them and have been sent back the same generic answer.
    If 5g is available within the next couple of months we might have no alternative but to take it.

That is a risk alright so I'll stay with 4G for now, no choice really until the contract is up and for the life of me I can't remember how long it was will have to check.

• Advertisement

right to a view of the Natural sky removed

You have no such "right" to a view of the natural sky.
    obviously you care more about internet than the view of the night sky

Correct, I absolutely do. As do most people I suspect. I actually find the satellites fascinating. I would be quite happy to be able to look up and see them.
    .....and that is rather sad.

It's not really.

You are being completely sensationalist. Other than when they are initially launched, it is not possible to see the Starlink satellites with the naked eye anyway.

It was the same when mobile towers started to pop up at first. People were up in arms saying they were going to ruin the countryside and that they should not be allowed. The benefit they provide far outweighs the frivolous complaints of a few people, and it is the exact same situation with satellites.

Advertisement