Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE: Drivetime with Sarah McInerney & Cormac O hEadhra

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Coppinger encouraging people to break the law.

Hopefully she will be hauled in and locked up.

Is she being still paid by the state.

Strange...... very strange..

Trying to keep her name front and centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Coppinger encouraging people to break the law.

Hopefully she will be hauled in and locked up.

Is she being still paid by the state.

Strange...... very strange..

Trying to keep her name front and centre.

She seems to have wound her neck in compared to her performance on Newstalk this morning. Coleman didn't really know how to deal with her when she threw a bit of a tantrum after being questioned about the legality of protesting.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    She seems to have wound her neck in compared to her performance on Newstalk this morning. Coleman didn't really know how to deal with her when she threw a bit of a tantrum after being questioned about the legality of protesting.

O’HEadhra went easy on her Padd. No surprise there.

There are regulations about the 5k travel limit.

This lady seems to think she is entitled to ignore it.

Just to latch on to a ‘cause’ ....why... I’ll tell you why... to big herself up on the basis of a populist ‘cause’.

If we all took the same view half the country would be in hospital, based on what happened at Xmas.

O’HEadhra went easy on her Padd. No surprise there.

There are regulations about the 5k travel limit.

There is also a Constitution that guarantees a right of free assembly, including a tight to protest. The current regulations would have to be justified and proportionate in curtailing that right.

I was in town this morning and the place was choc-a-bloc, all seemingly legal. As I walked back to my car, I was overtaken on the road by approximately 20 young army men and women, jogging in a very tight 3-wide formation along the hard shoulder, not 1 yard from the footpath — all legal.

It is difficult to justify this being allowed, while there is ostensibly a blanket, legal ban on any well-marshalled, socially-distanced political demonstration in a functional democracy? I find that hard to believe, but the law is vague.

Here’s MaryLou

Listen for the name checking............

Delayed for later.

Take two:

Watch the name checking... first failed interruption by Cormac.....second one.

Name check........on she goes....... name check........Cormac very deferential.

Name check......failed interruption......

Complete crock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

McDonald is very good at keeping the core issue front and centre in interviews like this.

Who's the FGer getting destroyed on Varadkar at the minute? Painful...you can almost seeing him pointing at SF in the studio. :)

Yer one Harkin is gone populist big time.

Complete and utter idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Yer one Harkin is gone populist big time.

Complete and utter idiot.

That didn't happen today or yesterday.

How she keeps getting elected never ceases to amaze me.

My mother in law thinks the sun shines out of her hole. "Great for women" apparently.

What bandwagon was she on today?

sligojoek wrote: »
    That didn't happen today or yesterday.

How she keeps getting elected never ceases to amaze me.

My mother in law thinks the sun shines out of her hole. "Great for women" apparently.

What bandwagon was she on today?

Great for herself anyway Joe.

If memory serves me correctly she was a teacher, a TD, an MEP, and now an Independent TD.

The auld Gucci handbag must be groaning at the zip.

She was on about opening counties with low Covid, which if you study the consequences would be as mad as her own policies.

I see Sarah has been given the Primetime gig. Great move and will hopefully give that show a bit of robustness it is lacking at times.

https://twitter.com/RTERadio1/status/1373969872451960834

I see Sarah has been given the Primetime gig. Great move and will hopefully give that show a bit of robustness it is lacking at times.

Let’s hope she distributes that so called ‘robustness’ evenly......hmmmm.

That everyone gets the same ‘flash bang’ treatment.

Will be watching carefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Excellent news, watched this show a few time recently and gosh it's become stale, the absurd episode last week when Luke o Neill was guest editor was just embarrassing, the AZ professor from Oxford and ex trinity didn't even seem to know Luke. The other presenter Mark Coughlan is just completely out of place, kinda looks like he's on work experience and Miriam, well Seriously, time to move on please. (GENUINELY)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Excellent news, watched this show a few time recently and gosh it's become stale, the absurd episode last week when Luke o Neill was guest editor was just embarrassing, the AZ professor from Oxford and ex trinity didn't even seem to know Luke. The other presenter Mark Coughlan is just completely out of place, kinda looks like he's on work experience and Miriam, well Seriously, time to move on please. (GENUINELY)

I didn't see that, but if it's Adrian Hill from Oxford, I'm not surprised...always comes across as the type who would pretend not to know someone to make himself seem more important or superior.

No harm in this new lineup. I can't take to Louise Byrne but I quite liked Mark Coughlan, although I've zoned out a bit recently. It just goes around in circles of speculation and 'what ifs'...yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Cole wrote: »
    I didn't see that, but if it's Adrian Hill from Oxford, I'm not surprised...always comes across as the type who would pretend not to know someone to make himself seem more important or superior.

No harm in this new lineup. I can't take to Louise Byrne but I quite liked Mark Coughlan, although I've zoned out a bit recently. It just goes around in circles of speculation and 'what ifs'...yawn.

Yes that's the Guy, Adrian Hill, Louise was good but I just couldn't take Mark Coughlan seriously, kinda had the Kids TV presenter look about him.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

Anyone else hearing a fiddle in the background on the hazel chú seanad run report there?? I had it on noise cancelling headphones and it was very apparent....

Either that, or I'm finally losing it

Edit: Sarah actually acknowledged the music at the end of the report! Odd!

Thomas Byrne just ripped McInerney out a new one.

She tried the ‘flash bang ‘ tactic and he gutted and filleted her.

Well done Thomas, ready for action this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Thomas Byrne was performing well ,an assured performance, until he was asked an easy question about the Sputnik vaccine at the end of the interview and lost it.

Pascal , Simon (both Harris and Coveney ) and Co would not have blown it like Byrne.

Schoolboy error in my books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Sorry but who was the guy on taking about bee's who likened male bees chasing the females to 'guys hanging around outside the females toilets in nightclubs waiting to persue them', eh what, is that a thing?!! Very strange comment...

• Advertisement

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Sorry but who was the guy on taking about bee's who likened male bees chasing the females to 'guys hanging around outside the females toilets in nightclubs waiting to persue them', eh what, is that a thing?!! Very strange comment...
    That was a zoologist from TCD. He sounded a bit uncomfortable himself once he heard himself saying it, I think that's when his explanation began to get a little incoherent.

He's made very interesting contributions to the programme, and it's nice to see conservation get some semi-regular coverage on Drivetime; would put today's foot-in-mouth incident down to nothing more than a nervous slip.

I had no idea about lone wasps being the orphans of collapsed colonies, or of the scale of wasps' work as nature's pesticide. Very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

That was a zoologist from TCD. He sounded a bit uncomfortable himself once he heard himself saying it, I think that's when his explanation began to get a little incoherent.

He's made very interesting contributions to the programme, and it's nice to see conservation get some semi-regular coverage on Drivetime; would put today's foot-in-mouth incident down to nothing more than a nervous slip.

I had no idea about lone wasps being the orphans of collapsed colonies, or of the scale of wasps' work as nature's pesticide. Very interesting.

I caught that segment and while I too welcome conservation topics, that guy was all over the place and compared very unfavourably with the likes of Niall Hatch from Birdwatch Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    I heard that too. I think he knew how unfortunate it sounded as soon as he said it. Thought it was an interesting enough piece though.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I caught that segment and while I too welcome conservation topics, that guy was all over the place and compared very unfavourably with the likes of Niall Hatch from Birdwatch Ireland.
    I get the impression the new team is trying to introduce fresher voices to be identified with the programme, they certainly rely a lot less on familiar RTE personalities than did Drivetime when Mary Wilson was presenting.

For example, under the old format, Wilson would usually open the programme with Fergal Keane editorialising the major news story of the day, or some other RTE correspondent reporting from outside Govt Buildings. That occasionally still happens. More often than not, Drivetime broadcasters now do the reporting themselves — opening the show with a creche owner, or the guy behind the Sputnik jab, or going live a NPHET press conference, for example.

I hadn't realised how stale the production had become under Mary Wilson. There's a lot to be said for a more natural, less polished approach (O hEadhra fits this description, himself) even if there are some occasional hiccups with less experienced contributors.

Hmmmmm ....... I think O hEadhra is the weak link in that duo.

Very heavy handed and seems to think he an ‘entertainer’ rather than a presenter.

Uses a lot of expressions which are props to buy time, it seems to me,like “ c’mere to me now” and “can I ask you this” “Tell me if this is true/correct”.

Those and overly long pedantic introductions / welcomes at the start of interviews.

Now those are small things but I feel they disrupt (for me anyway) the flow of the programme.

That and the pseudo ‘banter’ between the pair.

The stale stuff would be the Della Kilroy inserts, exactly the same ‘template’ on them ,also the John Cooke inserts which usually rely on the ‘ turkeys voting for Xmas’ theme.

Has Cooke taken over from Lally as these ‘great lad , one of our own- salt of the country ,vox pop kings.?

Infoanon wrote: »
    Thomas Byrne was performing well ,an assured performance, until he was asked an easy question about the Sputnik vaccine at the end of the interview and lost it.

Pascal , Simon (both Harris and Coveney ) and Co would not have blown it like Byrne.

Schoolboy error in my books.

Not in my book ,Info, stood up to her giving him the ‘flash bang’ treatment and took her interrupting back to her.

Would be very happy with his reaction, but hey, you can’t please everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Very heavy handed and seems to think he an ‘entertainer’ rather than a presenter.

Uses a lot of expressions which are props to buy time, it seems to me,like “ c’mere to me now” and “can I ask you this” “Tell me if this is true/correct”.

Those and overly long pedantic introductions / welcomes at the start of interviews.

Now those are small things but I feel they disrupt (for me anyway) the flow of the programme.

That and the pseudo ‘banter’ between the pair.

Credit where it's due on that one. Good description.

I agree that O hEadhra can be very familiar with people, but it's just a sincere aspect of his personality. He was like that on RnaG because his first language is Irish and Irish is a very non-confrontational language. Listen to RnaG — even when they are trying to harangue someone, the interjections are like "ah listen (cogar)" and "c'mere" or "deary me (ach aídhe!). The Irish speakers somehow manage to interview (and even harangue) politicians whilst somehow maintaining a basic level of civility.

This chummy approach never comes across as fake, or as contrived as when the likes of Tubridy or Claire Byrne do it. It's conversational and natural. I think it's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Is Sarah McInerney going to continue with Drivetime as well as presenting Prime Time or will it just go back to 1 presenter?

Radio5 wrote: »
    Is Sarah McInerney going to continue with Drivetime as well as presenting Prime Time or will it just go back to 1 presenter?

No, never mentioned. Presume Drivetime remains the same...lighter role on her Primetime day maybe.

• Advertisement

Radio5 wrote: »

Bit soon to change horses on Drivetime, I'm sure that was a consideration for producers, she'll probably just work one less day on radio (is Prime Time still once a week?)

Bit soon to change horses on Drivetime, I'm sure that was a consideration for producers, she'll probably just work one less day on radio (is Prime Time still once a week?)

Twice a week. She is only doing the Tuesday show.

I thought I'd give Drivetime another try. Zoom teeth, clenching and botox...then text in your teeth issues. Good luck, I'd rather watch the real Maura and Daithi on the TV.

Cole wrote: »
    I thought I'd give Drivetime another try. Zoom teeth, clenching and botox...then text in your teeth issues. Good luck, I'd rather watch the real Maura and Daithi on the TV.

Cormac going into Ray D’Arcy mode on the Volcano, big suck ins of breath and things.

Only reason I’m listening is to see how they handle Beacongate.

McInerney gone into hostile mode for HH.

Watch for the speed of the speech from her.

Heather should be well able for her..

Heh heh not a great performance by HH, but McInerney couldn’t lay a glove on her.

I heard yet another government minister dithering and not answering the core questions.

I heard yet another government minister dithering and not answering the core questions.

Just like a Mary Lou McDonald interview Francie... ....

Teflon.

Heh heh Michael Fitzmaurice....

Nothing but populist guff....... don’t bother returning to the chump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Let the man answer the fcuking question :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rolling Stone

Honestly, some of the tripe spouted by PC journalists ... the reason that the Govt. are only now dealing with the issue of Children's shoes is because there are too many men in the cabinet and not enough women ... sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

My god, like this guy just sounds like so vapid.

My money would be on Leo offering her the gig?

Mad the amount of our media who find themselves doing these jobs.

https://www.businesspost.ie/media-marketing/sarah-mcinerney-why-i-turned-down-political-adviser-gig-e4999c23

X

https://www.businesspost.ie/media-marketing/sarah-mcinerney-why-i-turned-down-political-adviser-gig-e4999c23

Just proves the point that if the wedge is good these mercenaries will peddle anything.

How come Callan hasn’t been ‘snapped up’ by the Shinners?

Hmmm....... ah ..got it ...he does it for nothing... right -oh!!!

Just proves the point that if the wedge is good these mercenaries will peddle anything.

How come Callan hasn’t been ‘snapped up’ by the Shinners?

Hmmm....... ah ..got it ...he does it for nothing... right -oh!!!

Clearly the lure of the political clout is dangled in front of these folk.
    The 'wedge' would be similar for doing either job.

Party spots political bias, attempts to head hunt.
    From Sean Duignan to George Lee to Collette Browne.

• Advertisement

2017 is also when FG poached (for want of a better word) her colleague Chris Donoghue.

I don't believe there is any allocation for special advisors in non-government parties so seems like it was part of the same procurement, sotospeak.

Clearly the lure of the political clout is dangled in front of these folk.
    The 'wedge' would be similar for doing either job.

Party spots political bias, attempts to head hunt.
    From Sean Duignan to George Lee to Collette Browne.

The poor aul Social Democrats.

Jaysus ,Cormac is going solo this evening.

He is, in my opinion, way too ‘heavy’..... battering the airwaves at high decibels.

Slow the fuhherke down dude, calm things, like a guy with a sledgehammer when a light implement is all that’s needed.

Like using a lump hammer to put in a tack!

FFS!!

The chaos of this coalition summed up. The national broadcaster having to referee a spat between coalition 'partners' and having to deliver the knockout blow to both of them (why the f*** didn't they get the legal side sorted) Hilarious and absurd in equal measure.

The chaos of this coalition summed up. The national broadcaster having to referee a spat between coalition 'partners' and having to deliver the knockout blow to both of them (why the f*** didn't they get the legal side sorted) Hilarious and absurd in equal measure.

Bit like the Shinners and the DUP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement