Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE: Drivetime with Sarah McInerney & Cormac O hEadhra

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'...Sigh...Ok, Minister I'll bring you back to the question...'

Brilliant interjection by Sarah into the interminable waffle and avoidance of Thomas Byrne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Who's this goon Lacey trying to burst open Fitzwilliam square to the plebs. He's a neck like a jockeys bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Who's this goon Lacey trying to burst open Fitzwilliam square to the plebs. He's a neck like a jockeys bollix.

Not Rachael..........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Anyone see Sarah mcinerney on the late late last Friday? Flaming Nora she looked fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I saw her on Prime Time, and when the shock of the exploded-kaleidescope set background wore off, I agree she's looking great (although I'm not sure looks are in any way relevant to her job). And sounding even better. She may even tempt me back to PT again.

But Cormac O hEadhra has put me right off Drivetime - he's unnecessarily combative, interrupts the whole time, and his generally aggressive tone in interviews is a total turn-off. For me he's turned into a male version of Mary Wilson.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I saw her on Prime Time, and when the shock of the exploded-kaleidescope set background wore off, I agree she's looking great (although I'm not sure looks are in any way relevant to her job). And sounding even better. She may even tempt me back to PT again.

But Cormac O hEadhra has put me right off Drivetime - he's unnecessarily combative, interrupts the whole time, and his generally aggressive tone in interviews is a total turn-off. For me he's turned into a male version of Mary Wilson.

Nah.... Cormac is struggling a bit in my opinion....

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Well, rightly or wrongly looks plays an important part of getting a gig on prime time, Miriam certainly has had work done over the years to look good, anyhow Sarah has it all really, looks, brains, the voice etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Well, rightly or wrongly looks plays an important part of getting a gig on prime time, Miriam certainly has had work done over the years to look good, anyhow Sarah has it all really, looks, brains, the voice etc

A minx!

A minx!

Aaahhhh heeeeyur!

No

As good as McInerney and O hEadhra are together, it's clear from the Tuesday solo, and from the predecessor programme, that one presenter is sufficient for this slot.

O hEadhra is doing very well by himself, as McInerney would be.

I doubt whether two presenters, neither of whom are likely to be earning below €100k, can be justified at a time when RTE is seeking savings. Here's an obvious overspend.

• Advertisement

As good as McInerney and O hEadhra are together, it's clear from the Tuesday solo, and from the processor programme, that one presenter is sufficient for this slot.

O hEadhra is doing very well by himself, as McInerney would be.

I doubt whether two presenters, neither of whom are likely to be earning below €100k, can be justified at a time when RTE is seeking savings. Here's an obvious overspend.

I think they operate better separately rather than the false ‘banterage’ their producers try to engineer.

Falls flat as a pancake and the programme suffers when they don’t have to fake the banter to the detriment of the programme content and general gravitas and weight of the show.

Not a savings issue, just in my opinion they don’t jell well together.

Much too artificial.

My Jaysus... Hely-Rae ripped Cormac a new one...

Now nothing personal on Cormac , but the guy was wimped out , gutted, in this discussion.

Completely out of his depth...... I challenge any one with a bit of intelligence to say otherwise.

Skittled,,,, totally skittled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Michael Healy Rae coming undone on his stance against the green legislation, it's a rarity but the Green senator is beating him by sticking to the facts.

Healy Rae bringing NPHET & HSE into conversation now ....and Michael is the clever brother !

My Jaysus... Hely-Rae ripped Cormac a new one...

Now nothing personal on Cormac , but the guy was wimped out , gutted, in this discussion.

Completely out of his depth...... I challenge any one with a bit of intelligence to say otherwise.

Skittled,,,, totally skittled.

Nothing of the sort happened - Healy Rae was caught with his utter nonsense, claiming something that is in legislation when it's not and then trying to muddy the waters by bringing in NPHET - Pauline O Reilly from the Greens well able to deal with Healy Rae

Infoanon wrote: »
    Nothing of the sort happened - Healy Rae was caught with his utter nonsense, claiming something that is in legislation when it's not and then trying to muddy the waters by bringing in NPHET - Pauline O Reilly from the Greens well able to deal with Healy Rae

Exactly, Healy-Rae was let get away with that nonsense.

He was’ t pulled up by Cormac and for me anyway, I had no idea at the end of the ‘session’ who was right and who was wrong.

The whole discussion was a mish mash of shouting and at the end of the event , I certainly was none the wiser.

Maybe others were ?

He was’ t pulled up by Cormac and for me anyway, I had no idea at the end of the ‘session’ who was right and who was wrong.

The whole discussion was a mish mash of shouting and at the end of the event , I certainly was none the wiser.

Maybe others were ?

Honestly Brendan, this ludicrous take of yours is destroying these radio threads...politics is that away >>>>

Cormac made Healy Rae look like an idiot there with brilliantly incisve questioning.

Honestly Brendan, this ludicrous take of yours is destroying these radio threads...politics is that away >>>>

Cormac made Healy Rae look like an idiot there with brilliantly incisve questioning.

I don’t think so Francie.

Maybe others were ?

Healy Rae didnt get away with his nonsense thanks to Pauline who was well able to deal with Healy Rae - facts quickly undoing his german products tail followed by his ill judged false statement on the legislation.

Its a rarity for Healy Rae to come undone and his attempts to bring NPHET into it followed by his constant interruption at the end was desperation by Michael.

Personal view , Cormac interrupted to much and the Greens need this senator on more shows ,and Michael Healy Rae should stick to topics he knows....

Healy Rae didnt get away with his nonsense thanks to Pauline who was well able to deal with Healy Rae - facts quickly undoing his german products tail followed by his ill judged false statement on the legislation.

Its a rarity for Healy Rae to come undone and his attempts to bring NPHET into it followed by his constant interruption at the end was desperation by Michael.

Personal view , Cormac interrupted to much and the Greens need this senator on more shows ,and Michael Healy Rae should stick to topics he knows....

Cormac certainly didn’t undo him, let him spout rubbish and take over.

Turning two opposing forces on each might be fine on Liveline, but not on what purports to be a serious current affairs programme, and then take a kind of ‘loudhailer’ moderation policy of the ensuing debacle.

Didn’t give the Green person a fair chance in my opinion.

You need to be able to pick the Healy-Raes off slowly and methodically

What they want is a big schemozzle in the square with dusht flying and nobody knows what’s going on.

Let’s not stop critiquing this stuff.

• Advertisement

I think they operate better separately rather than the false ‘banterage’ their producers try to engineer.

Falls flat as a pancake and the programme suffers when they don’t have to fake the banter to the detriment of the programme content and general gravitas and weight of the show.

Not a savings issue, just in my opinion they don’t jell well together.

Much too artificial.
    It's often very stilted because they usually broadcast remotely from one another. There's a different vibe when they're in the same studio, but that isn't often possible these days. Which makes the choice of dual broadcasters even more ridiculous.

It's like they hadn't planned for McInerney's TV role when she was hired for Drivetime, so now she's in a job she doesn't need. That'd be my guess anyway.

It's often very stilted because they usually broadcast remotely from one another. There's a different vibe when they're in the same studio, but that isn't often possible these days. Which makes the choice of dual broadcasters even more ridiculous.

It's like they hadn't planned for McInerney's TV role when she was hired for Drivetime, so now she's in a job she doesn't need. That'd be my guess anyway.

Seems exactly thus. Delayed planning, but sure always the case in any organisation afaics.

Hopefully Cormac will tone down the megaphone today.....

You don’t have to batther it down our necks Cee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Well, that was a car crash interview with Louise O’Reilly! Not a single straight answer given.

Well, that was a car crash interview with Louise O’Reilly! Not a single straight answer given.

McInerney opened her up like a clam. Great stuff from her,showed SF up for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Any politician that refuses to answer questions should not be invited back to the program until the are willing to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

What's the big secret?
    If it's just the electoral roll why do they need to store it in a database elsewhere in the EU?
    And what's the big deal saying where in the EU?

Something very fishy going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I feel much better now that I've heard the elders views on the state of the planet

mgn wrote: »
    Any politician that refuses to answer questions should not be invited back to the program until the are willing to do so.

Would any politicians qualify if that was the criteria?

Agree, O'Reilly was too evasive.

Would any politicians qualify if that was the criteria?

Agree, O'Reilly was too evasive.

Every party now has the same few wheeled out for every interview, all media trained to within an inch of their life's on how to avoid questions, throw a bit of dirt at the opposition and run down the clock.

We have 165 TD's and i would say most people wouldn't have a clue who 120 of them are.

Either answer questions or no more interviews, simple.

Every party now has the same few wheeled out for every interview, all media trained to within an inch of their life's on how to avoid questions, throw a bit of dirt at the opposition and run down the clock.

We have 165 TD's and i would say most people wouldn't have a clue who 120 of them are.

Either answer questions or no more interviews, simple.

You must be new to politicians on the radio. :)

• Advertisement

You must be new to politicians on the radio. :)

Unfortunately not, I'm gone grey listening to them.

I initially agreed with this after reading it, because it's intuitively sensible, but there are two arguments against it.

1. It is often enlightening to hear a representative, especially one who is also a Minister, waffle and bumble through an evasion from a simple question. In the sense that they are being exposed. Sometimes 'no answer' is the answer the only answer the voter needs to hear to make up their mind on a Minister's competence. Think Norma Foley.

2. Think of the martyrs. I bet Stephen Donnolly would love to be banned from The News At One or some other current affairs programmes. Wouldn't that be a neat way of scapegoating his communications problem? "They won't let me explain". This ties in with the previous point: I say we should give these boys a shovel for the holes they inevitably get themselves into.

I initially agreed with this after reading it, because it's intuitively sensible, but there are two arguments against it.

1. It is often enlightening to hear a representative, especially one who is also a Minister, waffle and bumble through an evasion from a simple question. In the sense that they are being exposed. Sometimes 'no answer' is the answer the only answer the voter needs to hear to make up their mind on a Minister's competence. Think Norma Foley.

2. Think of the martyrs. I bet Stephen Donnolly would love to be banned from The News At One or some other current affairs programmes. Wouldn't that be a neat way of scapegoating his communications problem? "They won't let me explain". This ties in with the previous point: I say we should give these boys a shovel for the holes they inevitably get themselves into.

I see where your coming from, but these new breed of politicians need the exposure the get from doing these interviews to climb the political ladder.

Think of Donnolly and Harris, would the be ministers now after only being in politics a short time only for giving interviews day and night.

So from what I see, the gain more from interviews the the public do.

I see where your coming from, but these new breed of politicians need the exposure the get from doing these interviews to climb the political ladder.

Think of Donnolly and Harris, would the be ministers now after only being in politics a short time only for giving interviews day and night.

Vinnie Browne famously eviscerated Donnelly when he defected to FF. The coalition crowd seem to love him though. Did the same to many including Joan Burton Enda and Martin McGuinness.
    So it doesn't seem to make a whole pile of difference really.

Yep, I agree with this too. I'm not sure where I stand tbh. I would be keen on a programme that is brave enough to ban evasive politicians, but it might need to be a limited ban (not a ban across the station, for reasons mentioned above).

Something like Vincent Browne's TV programme, which the previous poster mentioned. Their producers made some brave decisions. If anyone can stand in for Vincent Browne, maybe Cormac O hEadhra can.

Yep, I agree with this too. I'm not sure where I stand tbh. I would be keen on a programme that is brave enough to ban evasive politicians, but it might need to be a limited ban (not a ban across the station, for reasons mentioned above).

Something like Vincent Browne's TV programme, which the previous poster mentioned. Their producers made some brave decisions. If anyone can stand in for Vincent Browne, maybe Cormac O hEadhra can.

Definitely room for another Vinnie. Didn't always agree with him but he was fearless and never seemed to be going easy on anyone.

I remember Browne saying one night when no minster was available for the show, not to be looking to get on the show when an election was coming up.

Definitely room for another Vinnie. Didn't always agree with him but he was fearless and never seemed to be going easy on anyone.

Liked Browne, the show has gone down hill sense left it,

I remember Browne saying one night when no minster was available for the show, not to be looking to get on the show when an election was coming up.
    I have been trying for years to find some online access to an archive of Vincent Browne's radio programme on RTE Radio 1. It must have been late at night, because I remember listening to it in the milking parlour (the cows loved him too) after the cows had done their job, and I was the only one left.

This was the programme which would recreate the (Haughey?) Tribunal hearings and then a panel would dissect the proceedings. I was only a teenager but that was when I copped that radio programmes can have a big impact. People still talk about his radio programmes today, but I've only once seen an archive of them, which is now offline.

Sorry that's off topic, but if anyone knows of a place where these are archived, I'd be much obliged.

Very wishy washy interview by O’h’Eadhra on the Tanaiste this evening.

Why does he seem to think he needs to re-enforce every statement he makes.

Not convincing at all, in this posters opinion.

• Advertisement

Leo setting NIAC up to take the blame if the vaccinations target isn't met.

Not Leo's finest hour , topped of a bad day for the government, kite flying / leaks - will they ever learn.

Makes Cormac s job very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Listening to Leo on Drivetime today, how could he come out with the figure when questioned about today's (thurs) numbers being 617, Leo said tomorrow (fri) will be back in the 400's, that not odd?

Aska wrote: »
    Listening to Leo on Drivetime today, how could he come out with the figure when questioned about today's (thurs) numbers being 617, Leo said tomorrow (fri) will be back in the 400's, that not odd?

Figures are unofficially available around lunchtime.

Also note his comments when questioned about the outbreak at the Intel construction site ,his reply was "there's also cases in schools " ,which since being confirmed as one of the main reasons for an increase in figures

Also note his comments when questioned about the outbreak at the Intel construction site ,his reply was "there's also cases in schools " ,which since being confirmed as one of the main reasons for an increase in figures

Has that been confirmed?

What in Gods name is goin’ on in RTE, with this ‘Nooze’ stuff.

Tks evening John Cooke ,the new Brian Lally, comes up with it.

I would estimate that 98% of folk outside of Munster refer to it as ‘News’

Yet 80% of these gloamers in RTE seem to call it ‘Nooze’.

We can add the new, sorry ‘noo’, Brian Lally to this list now.

What in Gods name is this all about.

Who is in charge out there......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Its no surprise to me that the body of that man was not identified for so long... I have a friend who lost his life off blackhead 6 years ago, body never recovered, in all that time there never was a dna sample requested or taken from his son or daughter in order to help in identifying his body should one or whats left at this stage wash up on the coast

Its no surprise to me that the body of that man was not identified for so long... I have a friend who lost his life off blackhead 6 years ago, body never recovered, in all that time there never was a dna sample requested or taken from his son or daughter in order to help in identifying his body should one or whats left at this stage wash up on the coast

A hard listen. I had a family member missing for some time before the body was found. Can only begin to understand what this family went through.
    Hope they pursue it and get some satisfaction.

House of colour. For Fuk sake... there must be nothing happening in the world.

House of colour. For Fuk sake... there must be nothing happening in the world.

Another failure with a banter attempt.The 1650 -1700 ‘fun slot’.

That’s where poor John Murray fell down

Doesn’t work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Lady from Bar Council making sense and speaking out about Chinese abusing of what passes for their legal system. Cormac floundering.

Advertisement