Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE: Drivetime with Sarah McInerney & Cormac O hEadhra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Lady from Bar Council making sense and speaking out about Chinese abusing of what passes for their legal system. Cormac floundering.

Usual unnecessary gotcha questioning from Cormac. It’s really tiresome. Particularly the snide reference to the fact that barristers have the temerity to be paid for their services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Lady from Bar Council making sense and speaking out about Chinese abusing of what passes for their legal system. Cormac floundering.

Thanks for the heads up...just listened back. It's always good to hear China's political/legal/social system being challenged through some kind of 'official' channels.

Floundering, patronising, ill-informed, uninterested...she wiped the fecking floor with him. He seems to be far more engaged when having the banter about listeners texts about some sh1te about their favourite 80s songs or something similar. A reminder to me to continue tuning out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Funny take on that interview...I rather enjoyed his mocking of her. Another one of these tiresome campaigners on fashionable human rights causes half way around the world where they don't have to get their hands dirty but silent on human rights causes closer to home and at home.

I think he showed her up on that.

*Not for a second suggesting the China issue is not a just cause.

Funny take on that interview...I rather enjoyed his mocking of her. Another one of these tiresome campaigners on fashionable human rights causes half way around the world where they don't have to get their hands dirty but silent on human rights causes closer to home and at home.

I think he showed her up on that.

*Not for a second suggesting the China issue is not a just cause.

Each time he asked her about the Bar Council taking similar stands on human rights causes in the UK, US and at home, she answered very clearly that they have done and gave examples...up to him to probe further.

Cole wrote: »
    Each time he asked her about the Bar Council taking similar stands on human rights causes in the UK, US and at home, she answered very clearly that they have done and gave examples...up to him to probe further.

She mentioned one or two, but soon ran out of steam and his point was the amount of noise they were making on this one in comparison to ones here where they might have more influence.

Without getting into the 'politics' the point is he was doing his job IMO without deference or favour.

• Advertisement

She mentioned one or two, but soon ran out of steam and his point was the amount of noise they were making on this one in comparison to ones here where they might have more influence.

Without getting into the 'politics' the point is he was doing his job IMO without deference or favour.

Fair enough, but I think the amount of noise on this is because it relates to lawyers in China being denied their human rights and the Bar Council are one of the national representative bodies of lawyers (barristers) who are 'standing up' for colleagues in another country.

It just seemed a bit petty to focus on the Bar Council's wider human rights campaigning, while almost trying to avoid getting into the Chinese context.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Fair enough, but I think the amount of noise on this is because it relates to lawyers in China being denied their human rights and the Bar Council are one of the national representative bodies of lawyers (barristers) who are 'standing up' for colleagues in another country.

It just seemed a bit petty to focus on the Bar Council's wider human rights campaigning, while almost trying to avoid getting into the Chinese context.

Exactly. The news story is the treatment of lawyers in China, but that’s not tabloid enough for Cormac, so he kept trying to frame it as some type of fat cat hypocrisy by Irish lawyers. Tiresome and left the listener uninformed

His questioning of what else they had done came when she quoted the Edmund Burke quote 'evil prospers when good men don't speak up' (not sure of exact words)

That sounded fatuous to me as it must have to Cormac...the natural next question (for me anyhow) was 'well, what have you done about x, y, z,'

He wasn't giving her an easy ride, as a lot of agenda driven and selective 'human rights' campaigners get.

It always amazes me that when people refer to "human rights" what they mean are freedoms that are pretty abstract to ordinary people – freedom of association, of expression, etc — and almost never the right to good housing, healthcare and education: i.e. the things that most people are really affected by.

There is an ideological aspect to modern "human rights", and i daresay a performative aspect. I think that's what Cormac was getting at, and he was right.

It always amazes me that when people refer to "human rights" what they mean are freedoms that are pretty abstract to ordinary people – freedom of association, of expression, etc — and almost never the right to good housing, healthcare and education: i.e. the things that most people are really affected by.

There is an ideological aspect to modern "human rights", and i daresay a performative aspect. I think that's what Cormac was getting at, and he was right.

When asked, she mentioned access to justice (pretty fundamental for 'ordinary people'), homelessness and access to education...which they have made statements on before. She also mentioned how the Bar Council have a free legal advice scheme for such issues.

And if Cormac is inspired to challenge the "performative" aspect of all kinds of ideologies on display in radio interviews, he'll be a very busy man. All that resulted from that interview imo is that we learned virtually nothing about the topic she was invited on to discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

"Transport poverty" I've heard it all now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Eurovision why wasn’t Paul G. invited to speak on this.

Here’s the famous(infamous) 1650 -1700 laughaton.

Did the guy call him Cliff Richards..........sweet holy fohherke.

Cormac breaking his heart laughing...........I’d suggest he’s the only one.

Barrel of rubbish.

RTE are bigging this announcement this evening as the end of the virus, that it’s gone totally, and we are back to completely normal.

That lad John Cooke (the new SlobberyLally) winding up these grunts to Jack up this ‘euphoria,’ and that everything is done and dusted.

Mark my words......where will these tools be when we possibly go into lockdown again.......they need to dial down this bolloxology.

NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH

RTE are bigging this announcement this evening as the end of the virus, that it’s gone totally, and we are back to completely normal.

That lad John Cooke (the new SlobberyLally) winding up these grunts to Jack up this ‘euphoria,’ and that everything is done and dusted.

Mark my words......where will these tools be when we possibly go into lockdown again.......they need to dial down this bolloxology.

NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH

The government line is 'it is a day of hope'.

Programme is reflecting that, quite well. It is a good day and good news. We are due it after the ****-ups.

Programme is reflecting that, quite well. It is a good day and good news. We are due it after the ****-ups.

Francie, it’s the media I’m discussing including this programme.

Tubridy was bigging it up this morning

D’arcy nearly burst through the radio roaring about freedom

O’hEadhra and his team were suggesting we were over the crisis with Cooke stirring the pot over in Galway.

Very dangerous and stupid strategy to take. The only one who sounded a note of caution was Fionnan Sheahan in that it is a gamble, and that’s exactly what it is ....a gamble .

The Thaoiseachs last few sentences were most important, the success of this depends on Pats behaviour and adherence to regulations.

Do you trust Pat to follow the regulations and adhere to all the advice.

I don’t , do you?

Long way to go yet, RTE and the media need to tone down the rhetoric and stop winding up the populace.

Hope everything works out, but I fear Pat will let us down again, as happened at Xmas.

We need to behave responsibly and not do the usual attack the Govt as those less informed inevitably resort to, irrespective of the outcome.

Watch the focus now shift to the pubs.

But remember it’s a gamble , a huge gamble.

Will Pat rise to the responsibility ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

O’hEadhra and his team were suggesting we were over the crisis with Cooke stirring the pot over in Galway.

Very dangerous and stupid strategy to take. The only one who sounded a note of caution was Fionnan Sheahan in that it is a gamble, and that’s exactly what it is ....a gamble .

The Thaoiseachs last few sentences were most important, the success of this depends on Pats behaviour and adherence to regulations.

I don’t , do you?

Long way to go yet, RTE and the media need to tone down the rhetoric and stop winding up the populace.

Hope everything works out, but I fear Pat will let us down again, as happened at Xmas.

We need to behave responsibly and not do the usual attack the Govt as those less informed inevitably resort to, irrespective of the outcome.

Well he was just saying that there were lots of caveats on what was said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

India is a **** up.

Brazil is a **** up.

Even Britain has been a **** up, but they got their shyt together.

Its not easy to get a liberal and very free society to buy in to altruistic measures to protect others ahead of themselves. In a constantly changing scenario, we have done pretty well overall. Our two Governments during this period have done pretty well overall.

Thanks to the fundamental strength of our economy and our fiscal responsibility, we have been able to borrow to support both businesses and their employees at some of the highest levels of intervention globally.

Personally, I'm very glad to have gone through this in Ireland and I think as a Country we will explode with positive activity and enjoyment of life on the other side.

I'm really happy for any business and worker who feels that little bit more hopeful tonight. I hope we will all support and shop local for a long time to come.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

They even had Fionnan Sheehan on talking about what was and was not included and talking about what could go wrong.
    Brendi is just hearing what he wants to hear again.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

My criticism was to the kind of ‘gung ho’ attitude which the media were broadcasting as if we were all over this pandemic and everything is hunky dory.

Tubridy, Darcy, and others championing major changes.

Please........... let’s take things nice and slowly

Otherwise it’s as sure as suet, it’s another lock down.

They even had Fionnan Sheehan on talking about what was and was not included and talking about what could go wrong.
    Brendi is just hearing what he wants to hear again.

Francie I’m discussing what RTE are doing.

Fionnan Sheehan does not work for RTE, last I heard.

This is a radio programme , I have t heard anyone from RTE voice any concern how all this could turn bad.

• Advertisement

My criticism was to the kind of ‘gung ho’ attitude which the media were broadcasting as if we were all over this pandemic and everything is hunky dory.

Tubridy, Darcy, and others championing major changes.

Please........... let’s take things nice and slowly

Otherwise it’s as sure as suet, it’s another lock down.

If people are told they can do stuff Brendi, they are going to do it.

They are happy to be able to do it again....it's a day of hope, hope is manifest in happiness.

There was also warnings and pitfalls talked about. You need to listen to it all.

Francie I’m discussing what RTE are doing.

Fionnan Sheehan does not work for RTE, last I heard.

This is a radio programme , I have t heard anyone from RTE voice any concern how all this could turn bad.

??? He was being interviewed by RTE.

??? He was being interviewed by RTE.

Yes he was, but he doesn’t work for RTE.

It took a ‘outside ‘person to point out the pitfalls.

Not one cheerleader that I heard from RTE went near those concerns.

Yes he was, but he doesn’t work for RTE.

It took a ‘outside ‘person to point out the pitfalls.

Not one cheerleader that I heard from RTE went near those concerns.

Yes they did, they asked him further questions on what he meant. I.E. did their job.

They also discussed the Taoiseach's speech in depth I thought.

They are happy to be able to do it again....it's a day of hope, hope is manifest in happiness.

There was also warnings and pitfalls talked about. You need to listen to it all.

I listened to it all Francie,pity you wouldn’t ,instead of trying to politicize it, understand the point I am making.

Like McAleers Bar Francie I don’t trust Pat to comply given the stupid gung ho attitude of RTE presenters.

Yes they did, they asked him further questions on what he meant. I.E. did their job.

They also discussed the Taoiseach's speech in depth I thought.

Did you listen to the intro to D’Arcys prog today, Francie?

I listened to it all Francie,pity you wouldn’t ,instead of trying to politicize it, understand the point I am making.

Like McAleers Bar Francie I don’t trust Pat to comply given the stupid gung ho attitude of RTE presenters.

Politicise it?

Give over Brendi. You are over reacting and failing to see that the commentary was balanced and reflective as it could be on a happy day for a lot of people. The warning were given exposure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

FB you are buying into the hype , the reality that we are in the middle of pandemic was missed in the RTE commentary.
    Today is a step forward that requires a lot of caution - it's going to be a long road ahead, but its a gamble where the downside is more lockdowns and an even longer road ahead.
    RTE and it's presenters have a responsibility as the national broadcaster.

Infoanon wrote: »
    FB you are buying into the hype , the reality that we are in the middle of pandemic was missed in the RTE commentary.
    Today is a step forward that requires a lot of caution - it's going to be a long road ahead, but its a gamble where the downside is more lockdowns and an even longer road ahead.
    RTE and it's presenters have a responsibility as the national broadcaster.

It's a significant day, filled with hope and as you say caution. I think they had plenty of both.

Too much of either and people just switch off.

That's my opinion. The opinion of someone who has no issue criticising or praising radio shows. Someone who doesn't just come on just to moan. RTE radio isn't state broadcasting ala some communist country, it is a national broadcaster tasked with balance.

• Advertisement

It's a significant day, filled with hope and as you say caution. I think they had plenty of both.

Too much of either and people just switch off.

That's my opinion. The opinion of someone who has no issue criticising or praising radio shows. Someone who doesn't just come on just to moan. RTE radio isn't state broadcasting ala some communist country, it is a national broadcaster tasked with balance.

Francie, have to say this for someone who allegedly is not a member of any political party, has no issue with any radio shows, how did you amass over 44 k posts.

Not all hot air surely.....surely not......

Would you say you're a stranger to a bit of hot air yourself Brendan?

In any case, I agree with you. Am no fan of lockdown, I'm glad to see some reopening, but I think this will end in mild disaster. Nobody was expecting this speed of reopening. I don't think there was any need. Easy does it.

Having said that, it's not Cormac's job to pour cold water on the good mood, or to offer personal opinions. An alternative view was given, very well.

Francie, have to say this for someone who allegedly is not a member of any political party, has no issue with any radio shows, how did you amass over 44 k posts.

Best you can do Brendi?

I don't have a thorn in my ass about certain radio shows and hosts and only come on to rant about them when they diss my party or let other parties off lightly. Get yourself a mirror Brendi lad. Anyone would think you were shilling for the government on a radio programme.

Would you say you're a stranger to a bit of hot air yourself Brendan?

In any case, I agree with you. Am no fan of lockdown, I'm glad to see some reopening, but I think this will end in mild disaster. Nobody was expecting this speed of reopening. I don't think there was any need. Easy does it.

Having said that, it's not Cormac's job to pour cold water on the good mood, or to offer personal opinions. An alternative view was given, very well.

Bit disappointed with that assessment Tyrant , always try to be civil and courteous.

My point was Tubridy and Darcy and O’hEadhra, especially the former two were going on as if we could forget about the virus and bust out straight away as if it never existed.

Now it’s not as if they actually ‘said that’, but the impression given in my opinion was far too ott and they themselves failed to issue the caveats that we still have a long way to go.

It was left to Fionnan Sheehan in an interview to do that..... not really the same.

I feel it was irresponsible broadcasting of a very serious subject.

Tone it down lads, no need for D’Arcy to be blaring out songs in the intro...just yet.

Bit upset my concern was dissed by a respected Mod.

Maybe a lighthearted ‘cut’ at the Brenner but anyway....... we’ll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I don’t , do you?

I was talking to Pat and he says that he has taken your concerns on board.

Brian Scan wrote: »
    I was talking to Pat and he says that he has taken your concerns on board.

Thanks Brian, hopefully your influence will help.

• Advertisement

Bit disappointed with that assessment Tyrant , always try to be civil and courteous.

Apologies, Brendan. I lost the run of myself there for a minute. Perhaps I was caught up in the euphoria of "Freedom Day" as Tubridy calls it. Won't happen again.

Apologies, Brendan. I lost the run of myself there for a minute. Perhaps I was caught up in the euphoria of "Freedom Day" as Tubridy calls it. Won't happen again.

No problem Tyrant, I fully understand your position.

I just wanted to make sure it was mostly in jest as I would be anxious not to attract untoward‘ management’ attention.

I would like to keep my record as clean as possible, if you understand.

It’s not as good as one would like it.

End of issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

SF man deliberately won't answer a question about squealing on party goers. Old habits ;)

SF man deliberately won't answer a question about squealing on party goers. Old habits ;)

Thought I heard him say that people should report parties they are aware of? And the other guy definitely said he would report one if he knew about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Thought I heard him say that people should report parties they are aware of? And the other guy definitely said he would report one if he knew about it.

He evaded the question twice.

• Advertisement

Have to say, Cormac, a nice person, I’m sure , is annoying me big time tonight.

The lad is really overusing the word. ‘wonder way too much.

Jaysus! Almost every sentence is either prefixed by “I wonder” or ended by “I wonder”.

Not fahhkin needed dude.

And also he uses far too many superfluous words which are not relevant.

Every new guest is welcomed with “You are very welcome indeed to the programme”

No need for the ‘indeed ‘every time, and no need to ask a lot of questions by either looking for affirmation.. “Am I right” “Isn’t it”.

I would suggest the lad uses well over a hundred superfluous words per programme.

Most annoying…. I find anyway.

Watch for the “I wonder’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Have to say, Cormac, a nice person, I’m sure , is annoying me big time tonight.

The lad is really overusing the word. ‘wonder way too much.

Jaysus! Almost every sentence is either prefixed by “I wonder” or ended by “I wonder”.

Not fahhkin needed dude.

And also he uses far too many superfluous words which are not relevant.

Every new guest is welcomed with “You are very welcome indeed to the programme”

No need for the ‘indeed ‘every time, and no need to ask a lot of questions by either looking for affirmation.. “Am I right” “Isn’t it”.

I would suggest the lad uses well over a hundred superfluous words per programme.

Most annoying…. I find anyway.

Watch for the “I wonder’.

He'd better watch out someone doesn't rip the dude a new one.

He'd better watch out someone doesn't rip the dude a new one.

Heheh had a laugh at that in fairness.

I was serious though, a legitimate observation I thought.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Sarah at her best V Harris at his arrogant best earlier :)

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21950950

Sarah at her best V Harris at his arrogant best earlier :)

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21950950

Radio at its best. This is what Gold really means.

On Sarah's asking whether Eoghan Harris wrote a sexualised tweet about [blank]'s backside, Eoghan takes his shovel in his hand, and digs:

"No I didn't! Can we move onto one of the things she finds offensive ... simply because I said she was turned on by Mary Lou McDonald's speech, she finds that somehow offensive!"

Harris, shut up.

Still he persists.

Sarah asks him about calling a fellow journalist a hack and an imbecile.

Harris protests: " I'm almost alone in Ireland!"

Maybe he has a point.

He goes on, claiming that he could only appeal to political unionism through an anonymous series of accounts (Twitter claims there are 9 accounts). Harris doesn't offer much explanation, except when Sarah asks "Are you sorry you got involved in any of this?"

"No!"

However, we still havent reached the climax. A plot-twist arises when Sarah McInerney reveals that "Barbara Pym" is one of only a few Twitter accounts she (Sarah) has ever had to mute, so foul and abusive was its language.

Harris's reply is something incoherent, later murmuring that his account's target "probably deserved it"

"Your organisation bans me!" he cries, speaking during prime time on the RTE airwaves.

This was a masterful interview. Hook it into my damn veins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It was a great interview and Harris is a great one to interview - even better than Kevin Myers! :D

McInerney consolidating her place as the best in her field atm.
    Judged that perfectly and just landed the sucker punch again and again and probably spoke for most of the nation toio, 'ah will you stop the nonsense'. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

That was essential listening.

McInerney consolidating her place as the best in her field atm.
    Judged that perfectly and just landed the sucker punch again and again and probably spoke for most of the nation toio, 'ah will you stop the nonsense'. :)
    The way she crept up on him, very quietly, like a cat. Expertly executed.

Can we hear Brendan's opinion, please?

That was a really great interview. As you say, Sarah quietly crept up on him, and pounced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement