Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE: Drivetime with Sarah McInerney & Cormac O hEadhra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Looking forward to this item on the national broadcasters premier radio news show... What your zoom background says about you... Just give us the damn news, national and international with a bit of analysis for heavens sake can't be too hard can it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Another idiotic vox pop from the new ‘ Brian Lally’ Cooke.

Load of stupid tosh.

God help us all.

Cormac floundering……. Nothing new there.

Highly qualified medics saying indoor dining and drinking is the one thing the “virus loves” and vested interests disputing this.

Cormac unable to produce evidence to refute that.

Very poor preparation.

Noel Anderson skittled him. (Chairman of the Vintners Assoc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

O hEadhra getting called out for interrupting. I do wish more people would do this when engaging with RTE.

Quite a soft interview of Jeremy Corbyn there by O hEadhra; not really sure what the point was. Interviewer didn't ask Corbyn anything about the fix Labour has gotten itself into, or how it is that Labour can't seem to win elections anymore. I like Jeremy Corbyn, but that seems like a missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Quite a soft interview of Jeremy Corbyn there by O hEadhra; not really sure what the point was. Interviewer didn't ask Corbyn anything about the fix Labour has gotten itself into, or how it is that Labour can't seem to win elections anymore. I like Jeremy Corbyn, but that seems like a missed opportunity.

Very strange interview, alright. Cormac came across as quite the Corbyn fanboy. Actually sounded a bit starstruck

Very strange interview, alright. Cormac came across as quite the Corbyn fanboy. Actually sounded a bit starstruck

Yep. I don't blame Cormac for being a little starstruck; I would have been, too. But he failed to ask anything of importance. Disappointing interview.

:eek:

The Media are horsing up this ‘opening up’ stuff big time.

They are pumping the public up, not sparing the hyperbole and egging on the tossers who never gave a fuerke about lockdown anyway.

Then watch them unload on the govt if things go wrong.

All sells papers, programme advertising , but zero responsibility if things go wrong.

Nothing to do with me guv will be the mantra.

Very few erudite folk seem to have twigged this kind of operation.

That dude Corry is some motormouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I think he gets paid per word!

I think he gets paid per word!

Richest man in Oirlandt so…:cool:

He knows his stuff though. I'd listen to him over Fionn Davenport any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

He knows his stuff though. I'd listen to him over Fionn Davenport any day.

You are joking?

A vested interest who claims he is not a vested interest.

It's been like living in a parallel universal listening to this show the last few evenings - BB has hit the nail on the head - a certain De Ja Vu about this......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Yep. I don't blame Cormac for being a little starstruck; I would have been, too. But he failed to ask anything of importance. Disappointing interview.

To be fair, there seem to be very few UK politicians with much depth to them on Irish radio at that time of day. So Cormac may not have had experience of interviewing anyone outside of the usual few who are on for a quick soundbite on all things Brexit, NI or whatever minor crisis is happening in Downing St on any given day.

Is this a new weekly thing, a fill-in for Sarah McInerney every Tuesday when she does Prime Time?

I doubt Sarah is on holidays, because why would you start your holidays on the Tuesday before a bank holiday weekend? Unless like me, she thought the Monday was a bank holiday, and took annual leave on the 1st June, thinking it was a smart move. *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is this a new weekly thing, a fill-in for Sarah McInerney every Tuesday when she does Prime Time?

I doubt Sarah is on holidays, because why would you start your holidays on the Tuesday before a bank holiday weekend? Unless like me, she thought the Monday was a bank holiday, and took annual leave on the 1st June, thinking it was a smart move. *sigh*

That's what Cormac said at the start...Samantha will be doing Tuesday's from now on.

'It's Tuesday, it must be Samantha'.

That's what Cormac said at the start...Samantha will be doing Tuesday's from now on.

'It's Tuesday, it must be Samantha'.

Huh, thanks I missed that. That's odd. Cormac was doing fine by himself. A critic might say he was finally forced to do some of the heavy lifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Huh, thanks I missed that. That's odd. Cormac was doing fine by himself. A critic might say he was finally forced to do some of the heavy lifting.

Not sure this program needs two presenters, Mary Wilson seemed to manage fine. Cormac and Sarah started doing five days, then Sarah got her primetime gig so Cormac was handling Tuesday on his own for a few weeks. And now Samantha on board once a week. Strange stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

amlinopta wrote: »
    Not sure this program needs two presenters, Mary Wilson seemed to manage fine. Cormac and Sarah started doing five days, then Sarah got her primetime gig so Cormac was handling Tuesday on his own for a few weeks. And now Samantha on board once a week. Strange stuff

Or just downright poor. I'm not a regular listener anymore, but I tuned in yesterday to hear Sarah, Jim O'Callaghan and Louise O'Reilly going around in their predictable circles about the 'young people' at the weekend. All 3 were irritating to listen to, but O'Reilly (predictably) took the gold medal.

Then I listened to Cormac interview an immunologist from UCC. Even with my almost non-existent knowledge on the subject, I could have answered two of the questions he asked her...because she had just answered them about 2 minutes earlier. Then I switched off...

amlinopta wrote: »

Yeah, it doesn't need 2 presenters. I suspect they hired them for the 'banter' factor, but that's gone since they are mostly broadcasting remotely, except 1 day per week when both are in studio.

It's a nonsense, they need to get rid of it when these contracts expire. One broadcaster is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Yeah, it doesn't need 2 presenters. I suspect they hired them for the 'banter' factor, but that's gone since they are mostly broadcasting remotely, except 1 day per week when both are in studio.

It's a nonsense, they need to get rid of it when these contracts expire. One broadcaster is fine.
    Such a bloated payroll in RTE at the taxpayer’s expense. It’s incredible how many people in Donnybrook must do so little for presumably generous pensionable salaries.

Hmmmm. Just noticed this evening when I heard a ‘noou’ and thought I had tuned into Nooztalk.

Then realised it was Libreri…. Nothing noo there.

Anyway led me to wonder ( like oHeadhra) why they added the second person.

Was it to keep balance.

Was it to ‘dilute’ oHeadhra a bit….has a very ‘heavy’ presentation style,imo.

Was it to give Libreri a trial, a run out as first sub.

Who would sub for oHeadhra, would they stay with the gender equality.

More questions than answers one would have to say.

Slightly off topic noticed Mary Kennedy in the time honored tradition of Montrose , has gotten the ‘after retirement’ nice little earner.

Nice lady is Mary, not struggling for a bob or two surely.?

Poor Seanie blew the gig.

Slightly off topic noticed Mary Kennedy in the time honored tradition of Montrose , has gotten the ‘after retirement’ nice little earner.

What's that Brendan, she on the radio now?

You'd miss her from the TV. I think of her often.

What's that Brendan, she on the radio now?

You'd miss her from the TV. I think of her often.

Not sure, heard a new show being shilled .Not sure if radio or tv.

Edit…. https://evoke.ie/2020/11/08/showbiz/mary-kennedy-excited-for-imminent-return-to-tv-with-new-show

• Advertisement

The knob swivellers around here sure are a bitter jealous crew. :)

:confused:

Not too sure if that adds anything to the debate, but I guess someone understands it.

:confused:

Not too sure if that adds anything to the debate, but I guess someone understands it.

Debate? It's just jealous ranting about people making their living.

Don’t think so Francie, I’d like to see young presenters get a chance, for a change.

Don’t see any hint of bitterness in there, others have had their day and are comfortable, time to step back and let others take over.

Not an gramme of bitterness in the Bren……

Laying on the oul hyperbole a bit thick there.

• Advertisement

Cole wrote: »
    Laying on the oul hyperbole a bit thick there.

:) Mary Kennedy does a bit of work on contract, verboten to be at that carry on!!
    Despite her years of experience that we all invested in.
    Can't be doing that, regardless of the quality of what she might do or the interest.

It's jealousy and nothing more imo.

:) Mary Kennedy does a bit of work on contract, verboten to be at that carry on!!
    Can't be doing that, regardless of the quality of what she might do or the interest.

Ah I thought you were taking a broad swipe at all of us, but I guess this is yet another Francie and Brendan dust up. Away you go lads...Queensbury Rules and all that

Mmm. Think you might have gotten the wrong idea here. Brendan merely mentioned that Mary Kennedy was back on RTE, another poster (it happens to be me) replied positively.

No need for anyone to kick off. Calm down boys. Everyone is still fond of Mary Kennedy.

Ah I thought you were taking a broad swipe at all of us, but I guess this is yet another Francie and Brendan dust up. Away you go lads...Queensbury Rules and all that

It'sMK and the whole two presenters taking out taxes rubbish.
    The two presenter model can be seen everywhere in the media, why wouldn't RTE be doing it?

Radio has to remain vital and vbrant.

Everyone is still fond of loves Mary Kennedy.

I realise I'm contradicting my earlier accusations of hyperbole...but it's Mary Kennedy:)

The two presenter model can be seen everywhere in the media, why wouldn't RTE be doing it?

I've nothing against that, but it really doesn't work on this show imo. Although if they just ditched the 'banter' and listener texts, it might work okay.

I realise I'm contradicting my earlier accusations of hyperbole...but it's Mary Kennedy:)

I can't stand Mary Kennedy's smiley style as it happens, but many people like her and if there are ratings to be gained, go for it RTE.
    Swivel the knob to something else if it hurts you to hear it, I do it all the time, swivelling from one station to another.

I've nothing against that, but it really doesn't work on this show imo. Although if they just ditched the 'banter' and listener texts, it might work okay.

Haven't had the urge to tune out yet. I don't have an issue with the dual presenters on such a long show tbh.

Cormac O hEadhra is the most vibrant man on radio. You could give the man a mop, and somehow he'd get a chat out of it. I don't think he needs a co-presenter.

Anyway, that is beside the point. There is a genuine question about the need for two broadcasters here. Of course it's about our funding too. We give RTE 150 million euro (Edit: 200 million euro!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

The two presenter format didn't make me tune out but one thing that did yesterday was Samantha discussing the COVID variants and prefacing the interview by describing the Indian variant as spreading rapidly and resistant to vaccines, despite there being evidence to the contrary. I was almost going to text in and tell them to stop scaring people to death with doom mongering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Nah, I think the two hander works well enough here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Where's the racism angle for Hazel Chu regarding the St.Stephen's Green bandstand?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Where's the racism angle for Hazel Chu regarding the St.Stephen's Green bandstand?
    Obviously none.

In dozens of radio intervuews, I have heard Hazel Chu talk about racism precisely twice.

Her critics, however, raise the topic of racism at every bewildering opportunity. They cannot get enough of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Obviously none.

In dozens of radio intervuews, I have heard Hazel Chu talk about racism precisely twice.

Her critics, however, raise the topic of racism at every bewildering opportunity. They cannot get enough of it.

We will have to disagree as I have heard her at it numerous times and that's saying something as I normally reach for the dial every time I hear her. Anyway, she was spouting nonsense of a different kind tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Madeoface

Obviously none.

Her raising it again today in the times would beg to differ. In case the angle was tired though she dropped weight into the conversation.

Most Dubs couldn't really give a **** how fat or skinny the mayor is or their colour or creed but would struggle more with the waste of funding that a mayor is. I think Mrs. Chu is up there with that Royston Brady bung hole in the pantheon of useless attention seekers plopped into the post.

I don't remember Ben briscoe getting as much attention as mayor when he had the position for Dublin's millennium and we didn't even have the internet back then. Now he sure knew how to cut a ribbon without a fuss....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Could anyone have a word with Cormac and tell him to stop saying "c'mere ta me", it sounds ridiculous

I think it's all part of the more casual, 'relatable' approach being adopted on RTE radio...like the banter nonsense.

Could anyone have a word with Cormac and tell him to stop saying "c'mere ta me", it sounds ridiculous

51551 is your friend.

As I posted numerous times O’HEadhra uses around 200 words a prog. that are not needed .

That’s one example

Another example is “You are very welcome indeed to the programme” to most guests

Given the nature of the prog….. no need for that

Move it along dude, chop chop.

Bit of a ‘bang’ there around Monday ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Denise White Hughes from Lidl spoke very well and honestly just there about miscarriages and the workplace. Lidl are the first to give paid leave in such circumstances, but they certainly shouldn't be the last.

Advertisement