Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Gaming PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The boards have wired networking built in. For best performance you want a wired connection. For Wifi you'd need an add in card.

I'm happy to do builds for people but I'm in Dublin 5. No payment required. Having said that AWD-IT have a prebuild that is pretty good value. Upgrade the spec as required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

The new Zen 3 processors look like they could provide a good boost to gaming. I'd be waiting as well. At your budget you would be targeting the Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700X at the moment.

intel is better at gaming but amd might be cheaper
    gaming only uses single core and intel frame rate is better buying intel make sure it has k in cpu for overclocking some old intel i7 cpus are nearly as good as newer ones buying and stick with 5 3600 as NVidia is bring out faster cheaper video card for 500 and and is also and will compete on price other slower gpus will come down in price stick with.nvidia as som and drivers don't work.amd b550 and x570 motherboards are dropping in price
    cases memory and ssd drives are also dropping

check if your mother board takes certin brands of ram .it affects and ryzen more than intel

with ryzen you will find it crashes all the time if it's not a brand name

some newer NVidia gpu have cheap capacitors and fail with overclocking. Asus seems to have put in the good ones so it does not crash 3800 and 3900

the 7 3700x does not give much improvement vs 5 3600 for price

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Aato

The boards have wired networking built in. For best performance you want a wired connection. For Wifi you'd need an add in card.

I'm happy to do builds for people but I'm in Dublin 5. No payment required.

No payment required... is this real life lol

In regards to the link I have no idea what I'm adding and upgrading in, would the build I have here be more powerful as with the upgrades in the one on link they're pretty much same price ish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

A fine blend of trolling and practical advice, just enough to keep people guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Anyway to mute Bobby gee? At this stage he'd have a hard time proving what seems to be trolling as verbal diarrhea

• Advertisement

BobbyG...our very own KenM, though he's yet to turn the tap on in style

Should he not be banned for misinformation or something or is it just like saying scalpers on adverts should be banned? Surely a mod could take a look or something

Aato wrote: »
    No payment required... is this real life lol

In regards to the link I have no idea what I'm adding and upgrading in, would the build I have here be more powerful as with the upgrades in the one on link they're pretty much same price ish

I enjoy building machines but if you insist a six pack of something never goes amiss.

Let me do up a spec for you tomorrow. Have a look at the difference between microATX and ATX and let me know if you're happy with microATX, I have a spec in mind around the B550M MSI Pro VDH wifi and a Gamemax Kamikaze case. MATX build will be slightly cheaper and slightly smaller.

I enjoy building machines but if you insist a six pack of something never goes amiss.

Let me do up a spec for you tomorrow. Have a look at the difference between microATX and ATX and let me know if you're happy with microATX, I have a spec in mind around the B550M MSI Pro VDH wifi and a Gamemax Kamikaze case. MATX build will be slightly cheaper and slightly smaller.

A spec list would be nice. I'll research those things and let you know. Thanks

Just had a quick look there at ATX vs Micro ATX so to my understanding a micro ATX is a smaller motherboard and you put this in a MATX case which is smaller in design too... my only concerns with this is if I want to expand or upgrade in the future I'll have to end up changing the case etc if I was to go for a normal size motherboard?

The gamemax case is pretty cool though with the RGB's I like that setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You can put micro-ATX (and mini-ITX) into ATX cases.

mATX's advantages are more about cost than size; if you want small size, you're better off with mini-ITX which packs a sizeable premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Anyway to mute Bobby gee? At this stage he'd have a hard time proving what seems to be trolling as verbal diarrhea

527759.png

JoyPad wrote: »
    527759.png

Thank you very much!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You can put micro-ATX (and mini-ITX) into ATX cases.

mATX's advantages are more about cost than size; if you want small size, you're better off with mini-ITX which packs a sizeable premium.

Yeah I'm not that worried about it but I'd rather spend a little bit extra for a regular size one now for my first build. More importantly a regular size case so I have room to upgrade in the future.

Yeah I'm not that worried about it but I'd rather spend a little bit extra for a regular size one now for my first build. More importantly a regular size case so I have room to upgrade in the future.

Cool won't get to it until this evening but will spec the Phanteks P400A DRGB.

Also going to spec a 2070 Super. Any ones to be avoided? More up on the 5700XT models. I'd spec a 5700XT but the driver issues seem to be continuing.

Also going to spec a 2070 Super. Any ones to be avoided? More up on the 5700XT models. I'd spec a 5700XT but the driver issues seem to be continuing.

Phantek case looks great I'd be happy with that. 2070 Super would be perfect too thats what I've been looking at. Are we sticking with the Ryzen 5 3600x processor?

2070 Super is a bad buy new IMHO

RTX 3070, 3060 Ti & AMD Big Navi cards are due in October/November.
    While I understand that availability is the main concern for the new GPUs, I wouldn't spend full-price on a 2070S.

Used makes sense since they're only 1yr old + post-cryptomining boom

https://www.adverts.ie/graphics-cards/evga-rtx-2070-super-black-edition/21376247
    https://www.adverts.ie/graphics-cards/palit-rtx2070-super-jetstream/21562884
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/MSI-GeForce-RTX-2070-Super-Gaming-X-8GB-GDDR6-Graphics-Card-RTX2070SUPERGAMING/184433738307?hash=item2af11b8243:g:JckAAOSw6atfU0jJ

2070 Super is a bad buy new IMHO

RTX 3070, 3060 Ti & AMD Big Navi cards are due in October/November.
    While I understand that availability is the main concern for the new GPUs, I wouldn't spend full-price on a 2070S.

Used makes sense since they're only 1yr old + post-cryptomining boom

I understand where your coming from but €70 difference between one with a years use on it and a brand new one doesn't seem that much.

370-400 for a 2070 Super is a better price when the RTX 3070 (500) and 3060 Ti (400-450?) will blow it out the water in <1 month.

Also those models on Adverts are 16-18% cheaper than new, which is pretty good for 1yr.

• Advertisement

370-400 for a 2070 Super is a better price when the RTX 3070 (500) and 3060 Ti (400-450?) will blow it out the water in <1 month.

Also those models on Adverts are 16-18% cheaper than new, which is pretty good for 1yr.

Maybe its best I wait so hopefully the new 3070 will be released early October as I have no patience lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Maybe its best I wait so hopefully the new 3070 will be released early October as I have no patience lol

Being released on the 15th, but stock will likely be scarce

Being released on the 15th, but stock will likely be scarce

See that makes me annoyed because even if I wait until then I more than likely won't be fast enough to get one.

You can actually buy it pre-built for less than that if you don't want the hassle of building, and you can configure it with the P400 Case as well.

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-mb520-argb-ryzen-5-3600-nvidia-rtx-2070-super-16gb-ram-desktop-gaming-pc.html

With the P400, 1TB NVME, 3600Mhz Ram, Super Ventus 2070S and B550, 550W Gold Modular PSU, it comes to £1040.

Okay, I strongly suggest waiting for at least the 3070 to land and it looks like we're of the same mind there. Here's the build I suggest. Now it's up to you to shop around and get the best prices taking into consideration delivery charges. I'm happy to answer as many questions as you have on alternative part choices and I'm sure other people will pool their knowledge. I mainly pick parts on the basis of 1) being available from Amazon as I find their service second to none, 2) Personal experiance of the product 3) Recomendations made here by people.

A note that I've used the selected memory on a couple of builds but it has not been tested by the manufacturer on the motherboard selected. Make sure to get it from Amazon so it can be swapped out if needed.

Sabrent have a drive that is €20 more expensive that would potentially last longer but really the one selected is fine and will last years and years unless you're video editing.

MSI Gaming Edge Wifi selected as its a) a good board b) has wifi 6 built in.

3600X selected over the 3600 as there is very little difference in price on Amazon and the 3600X comes with a slightly better cooler.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (£189.05 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (£157.49 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£68.39 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card (£430.00 @ Currys PC World)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Power Supply: be quiet! System Power 9 700 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£72.99 @ Box Limited)
    Total: £1107.90
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-29 18:49 BST+0100

A note on the Phanteks P400 its the A and the DRGB version you want.

You also want a cheap Artic P12 120mm fan for exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That's a pretty sweet build but likewise I'd hold out for the newer gpu's.

If you're really stuck and want something now I'd grab something cheap and cheerful second hand like a gtx 970/980 rx 480/580, that's won't lose much/any resale value then upgrade when the 3060ti/3070 or AMD's new cards are ready.

Homelander wrote: »
    You can actually buy it pre-built for less than that if you don't want the hassle of building, and you can configure it with the P400 Case as well.

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-mb520-argb-ryzen-5-3600-nvidia-rtx-2070-super-16gb-ram-desktop-gaming-pc.html

With the P400, 1TB NVME, 3600Mhz Ram, Super Ventus 2070S and B550, 550W Gold Modular PSU, it comes to £1040.

Not gonna lie that's going to take a lot of the hassle out of me ordering it all the parts then taking it to Sam up in Dublin to build.

Do you guys reckon it be worth my time just ordering that and let them build and deliver it? The b550 motherboard they have on the list is a MATX correct? But that phantek case is regular size so could fit ATX in the future?

Which one is better AWD-IT build or the one Sam just posted?

• Advertisement

Not gonna lie that's going to take a lot of the hassle out of me ordering it all the parts then taking it to Sam up in Dublin to build.

Do you guys reckon it be worth my time just ordering that and let them build and deliver it? The b550 motherboard they have on the list is a MATX correct? But that phantek case is regular size so could fit ATX in the future?

Which one is better AWD-IT build or the one Sam just posted?

The mATX board will fit no bother and you can add in a ATX board in the future. There's very little to choose between the two. My build has slightly better components here and there, you could reduce them to save a bit and come in very close to the AWD build but it wouldn't be any cheaper. You will need to add wifi to the AWD build.

Advertisement