Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E fibre

Options
  • 28-09-2020 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    Please feel free to move this if not in the correct area. I have e fibre connected to an office at the side of my house (the cable comes into the office) and we have a tp link in the house which is 20 meters away which picks up the internet for the house. The reception is poor in the house but workable. My son has started university and all lectures are now on line so the internet in the house won't be good enough my question is can the signal be boosted to the house or can a new efibre cable be brought from the office to the house? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Find some means of running an ethernet cable (cat 5e/cat 6) from office to house, would be my suggestion.

I would also suggest your son should use a wired connection for lectures to ensure the most reliable connection, for such a necessary function.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

Find some means of running an ethernet cable (cat 5e/cat 6) from office to house, would be my suggestion.

I would also suggest your son should use a wired connection for lectures to ensure the most reliable connection, for such a necessary function.

Thanks for the reply. I am a total novice in relation to this so excuse the questions. That ethernet cable from the office to the house does that have to underground or can it be overground?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I am a total novice in relation to this so excuse the questions. That ethernet cable from the office to the house does that have to underground or can it be overground?

You can run it anyway you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

A wired (ethernet) connection to the TP-Link access point in the house should improve its signal.

It can be hard to judge the best/easiest route without more details of that 20m gap from the router to the access point. Is the office physically connected to the house (can you route the cable through a wall easily)? Do they share an attic (cable up the wall in the office, down wall in the house)? Are the floors solid (could you route under flooring)? Is there a conduit already connecting them (for television or phone cables, not power)? Do they share electrical power (could you use power-line adaptors)?

A wired (ethernet) connection to the TP-Link access point in the house should improve its signal.

It can be hard to judge the best/easiest route without more details of that 20m gap from the router to the access point. Is the office physically connected to the house (can you route the cable through a wall easily)? Do they share an attic (cable up the wall in the office, down wall in the house)? Are the floors solid (could you route under flooring)? Is there a conduit already connecting them (for television or phone cables, not power)? Do they share electrical power (could you use power-line adaptors)?

The office is not connected to the house.

• Advertisement

The office is not connected to the house.

Does the office have a separate supply from the ESB or does it receive its supply from the house?

If separate then do not use just an ethernet cable ........ keep both electrically isolated from each other.

Does the office have a separate supply from the ESB or does it receive its supply from the house?

If separate then do not use just an ethernet cable ........ keep both electrically isolated from each other.

ESB comes from the house.

ESB comes from the house.

After that it depends on the ground between both ........ if soil then a good length of outdoor cat 6 cable buried in a waqvin pie (it has thick wall) should work well.
    Otherwise maybe an overhead cable strung along a suitable tensioned wire.

The alternative suggestion would be a wireless transceiver ....... discussed in other threads for similar purposes.

After that it depends on the ground between both ........ if soil then a good length of outdoor cat 6 cable buried in a waqvin pie (it has thick wall) should work well.
    Otherwise maybe an overhead cable strung along a suitable tensioned wire.

The alternative suggestion would be a wireless transceiver ....... discussed in other threads for similar purposes.

There is tarmac between office and house so the overhead option is the only one. is it the same ethernet cable for overground.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The other options is a mesh wifi solution like Google Wifi or any of the competitors.

• Advertisement

There is tarmac between office and house so the overhead option is the only one. is it the same ethernet cable for overground.

Yes, the same outdoor Cat 6 ethernet cable, wrapped on a suitable wire tensioned between the two buildings.

Is there a possibility of running the cable with the electricity supply from house to office?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Stop a second lads.

Whats the service like in the office? If this is a 7_1 VDSL line then any internal upgrades wont help.

ED E wrote: »
    Stop a second lads.

Whats the service like in the office? If this is a 7_1 VDSL line then any internal upgrades wont help.

The thread heading says 'fibre' ......

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The thread heading says 'fibre' ......

Says E Fibre which is what Eir brand both VDSL and GPON. Great for confusing end users.

ED E wrote: »
    Says E Fibre which is what Eir brand both VDSL and GPON. Great for confusing end users.

:D:D:D

I was not aware of, else did not recall, Eir's deliberately confusing messages.

So the question is does the OP have a FTTC or FTTH connection?

It is also necessary for the OP to provide some actual figures for the speeds at the two locations so some judgement can be made.

Advertisement