Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Prime Day - 13th/14th October 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

quarryman wrote: »
    If an item won't be in stock for another week but I can "save for later" will it stay at the deal price?

I'm referring to the Amazon Mesh WiFi.

Introducing Amazon eero mesh Wi-Fi system | 3-pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WHMJ6XN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_kP0HFbTSJN6H6

Want to get a mesh wi fi system. How does the Amazon eero mesh system compare with the tp-link deco m5 which is also discounted and at similar price.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

mjp wrote: »
    Want to get a mesh wi fi system. How does the Amazon eero mesh system compare with the tp-link deco m5 which is also discounted and at similar price.

I got the M4 version a week or 2 ago. Love them, made the wifi much more stable around the house. I'll never go back to wifi extenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Is a Kindle paper white £80 A good deal ?
    Very good yes.

I only have an old version with no back light for years and zero issues.
    But bought my folks the paper white and they love them.

gmisk wrote: »
    Very good yes.

I only have an old version with no back light for years and zero issues.
    But bought my folks the paper white and they love them.

The base model now has the backlight. Think it's around 45gbp at the moment. It's what I have, I think the main difference of the paperwhite nowadays is the resolution. I don't think I would pay extra for more resolution but I haven't seen one to compare

Peck3277 wrote: »
    The base model now has the backlight. Think it's around 45gbp at the moment. It's what I have, I think the main difference of the paperwhite nowadays is the resolution. I don't think I would pay extra for more resolution but I haven't seen one to compare
    Oh yeah I saw that!
    I don't know if I can be bothered with changing now very old one still going strong, have a serious collection of books on it as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Treppen wrote: »
    Cheers, went for the green for maximum penny pinching.

Same haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

OT I know, but any new kindle users should start looking at Calibre e-book manager for windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That Majority one also has a £12 voucher. So it comes down to about £67/€76.

That's a great price for a solid bar in fairness. To get better you would be pushing into the €250+ range.

Ì have that soundbar minus the Sub Woofer as the speaker setup out in my Mancave and tbh its great, less than €40 when I bought it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

They are front lights(pedantic I know but a big difference)

Paperwhite has more lights, has twice the resolution, has a flush screen and is waterproof and twice the storage.

Got mine today in the post.

• Advertisement

Is a Kindle paper white £80 A good deal ?

has high resolution
    waterproof
    back light
    can extend storage

cheaper one is not waterproof or high resolution. back light is not as good as the paperwhite one. can't extend storage

https://www.techradar.com/news/amazon-kindle-vs-amazon-kindle-paperwhite-which-e-reader-is-best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Got the most expensive paperwhite less than 2 years ago and it's broken.
    jumps around from page to page and is unuseable.
    reset it several times and renistalled software.

Really dissappointing but perhaps I was just unlucky.
    But I think I would buy cheap one in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

adm wrote: »

Did you get back on to Amazon? There usually brilliant for customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just picked up an apple watch series 5 40mm on amazon.de warehouse, used like new for 304 delivered after the 20% discount.

i got the gold one, there may be a black and white available for similar and 44mm for slightly more (altho the black one i checked wasn't 20% off)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Glebee wrote: »

Been on to them once and they gave me the usual spiel about resetting etc.. all of which I've done.
    May try them again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I got a pop up to look at an eBook and I’d get £5
    Credit. I clicked through, browsed the library. I have no kindle or anything. This was yesterday.

Today I got an email to say the £5 was available to use.
    I just bought an Echo Dot for €15.52 delivered using it. Anyone else get this banner when using the site?

Glebee wrote: »

they are very good but not quite as good as years ago when they would probably give you a new kindle over 2 years later.

now, not so much. but worth a try.

not sure it this was possibly an issue or not but a case is a required additional purchase really for the kindle imo.

Highly recommend getting a case like this one for the kindle. I broke my screen a few years ago, got my last one with this and it just adds that bit of protection/piece of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I am tempted to get the kindle oasis, which is also reduced £190, due to the fact that it has the warmer light function which makes it a lot nicer to read at nice. At least that’s what my research is telling me ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Linoge wrote: »
    Darby_321 wrote: »
    Vudgie wrote: »
    Is the Philips one recommended?
    Lads just seen on Lidl magazine that they have a Salter Aerocook XL 11L with a 60min timer on sale from Thursday 15 Oct for €88, down from rrp €200

It's €120 on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XRH5BVF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CPWHFbM38Y5EA

Is this a better deal than the above?
    There's a Philips Viva HD9220/20 on sale as well for 90. Down from 160. The timer only presets to 30mins.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0042EU3A2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1EVHFbDC56XMM

+ Cosori 3.5 L for £64
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GBQFNT9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MJVHFbNGGZEHN

+ Cosori 5.5 L for £88
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083FB8TSC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EKVHFb27PFK01

Lads just to let you know that Aldi have a Tefal Actifry Original for €118 on Sunday 18th and Lidl have the Salter above Tomorrow.

If anyone has any other recommendations than above please let me know because I'm hoping to buy one tonight and if not I'll grab the Lidl or Aldi ones.

• Advertisement

Highly recommend getting a case like this one for the kindle. I broke my screen a few years ago, got my last one with this and it just adds that bit of protection/piece of mind.

Fintie make very good cases.

Bit cheaper also as they are around £15 to £18

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=fintie+case+kindle&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

adm wrote: »

But I think I would buy cheap one in future.

Get into customer service. They’ll organise a refund or replacement. Even give you a prepaid returns thing to print off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tried to return a lamp there as the plug on it is insanely long and would need to move cabinet out from the wall is sits on.. and got a returnless refund. Onto CS now as would like to return it to be honest.

Missus tried to return a top that was huge and she has to pay £9 to return a £12 top.

The mind boggles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I have been refunded for things that I haven’t even have to send back. Very good customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Basq wrote: »
    Tried to return a lamp there as the plug on it is insanely long and would need to move cabinet out from the wall is sits on.. and got a returnless refund. Onto CS now as would like to return it to be honest.

Missus tried to return a top that was huge and she has to pay £9 to return a £12 top.

The mind boggles!
    Only ever buy stuff that is stocked by Amazon

My item was Fulfilled by Amazon, but sold by third party seller. Same as her item.

I asked Amazon and they really insisted they don't want the item back, despite me insisting.

You'd think giving Covid that clothes would be something they wouldn't want back (wasn't able to try on stuff in Next Sale recently for that reason) as opposed to a lamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Lads just to let you know that Aldi have a Tefal Actifry Original for €118 on Sunday 18th and Lidl have the Salter above Tomorrow.

If anyone has any other recommendations than above please let me know because I'm hoping to buy one tonight and if not I'll grab the Lidl or Aldi ones.

Have the Tefal Actifry that Aldi will be selling... I love it... Does really great chips with very little oil (or none if you're into that) and you don't have to shake anything as they cook. I will say the timer on it isn't connected to the cooking at all. So the timer is essentially just an alarm and you still have to stop the cooking yourself... Oddly enough, one of my biggest uses of it is for sausages, cooks them nice and even

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Pity there doesn't appear to be a deal on 12 months prime membership.

Our existing one comes up 22/10 and after paying a one off annual fee last year its going to roll off to a €7.99 per month plan BUT if you switch to annual payment they'll charge us €79 (we paid €59 but still).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

The mind boggles!

Just change the plug ..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

When did Amazon turn into Aliexpress? all i see is cheap tat

glasso wrote: »
    has high resolution
    waterproof
    back light
    can extend storage

cheaper one is not waterproof or high resolution. back light is not as good as the paperwhite one. can't extend storage

https://www.techradar.com/news/amazon-kindle-vs-amazon-kindle-paperwhite-which-e-reader-is-best
    I actually just realised I have a voucher so I am kinda tempted to get that kindle paperwhite...two questions if anyone could help possibly.
    -Will I notice a massive difference in screen resolution? (I am going from old original kindle)
    -Is it easy to move all books across to new device? (Very few from amazon store)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

I actually just realised I have a voucher so I am kinda tempted to get that kindle paperwhite...two questions if anyone could help possibly.
    -Will I notice a massive difference in screen resolution? (I am going from old original kindle)
    -Is it easy to move all books across to new device? (Very few from amazon store)

I'd go instead for the Prime Day reduced Fire 8" or 10" - acts like a Kindle but you get a great tablet as well

Micro SD cards reduced to crazy levels as well, so go for the 32GB & add big SD card also

£13.99 if you have Prime for 128GB card

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B073JYC4XM?ref_=Oct_s9_apbd_otopr_hd_bw_b1T4wpT&pf_rd_r=2KWBAWXGVE5C6Y2TNFEJ&pf_rd_p=6f95cc1d-e99a-5d95-8bc5-9dc400b898e2&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=1345826031

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

My item was Fulfilled by Amazon, but sold by third party seller. Same as her item.

I asked Amazon and they really insisted they don't want the item back, despite me insisting.

You'd think giving Covid that clothes would be something they wouldn't want back (wasn't able to try on stuff in Next Sale recently for that reason) as opposed to a lamp.

Cost of shipping, organisation and data entry etc outweighs cost of items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

KilOit wrote: »

What you see is based on what you've bought before. Just saying...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

The mind boggles!

If there happened to be something wrong with the top, they’d pay for return shipping.
    You never know what your eyes might see, even if it’s not there!

Allegedly! ;)

banchang wrote: »
    I'd go instead for the Prime Day reduced Fire 8" or 10" - acts like a Kindle but you get a great tablet as well

Micro SD cards reduced to crazy levels as well, so go for the 32GB & add big SD card also

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B073JYC4XM?ref_=Oct_s9_apbd_otopr_hd_bw_b1T4wpT&pf_rd_r=2KWBAWXGVE5C6Y2TNFEJ&pf_rd_p=6f95cc1d-e99a-5d95-8bc5-9dc400b898e2&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=1345826031

Don't do this. There's no substitute for a kindle. The paperwhite Vs the older model is like moving from reading in a cave in candlelight to moving to a modern library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I didnt realise the Fire could be used like a kindle, does it have the same "easy on your eyes" screen for reading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Gumbo wrote: »
    I got a pop up to look at an eBook and I’d get £5
    Credit. I clicked through, browsed the library. I have no kindle or anything. This was yesterday.

Today I got an email to say the £5 was available to use.
    I just bought an Echo Dot for €15.52 delivered using it. Anyone else get this banner when using the site?

Yeah it was mentioned earlier in this thread. Hope you got the GBP10 free when you topped up your account by GPB100 too?

All your books will move if they're in the cloud.

• Advertisement

rustynutz wrote: »
    I didnt realise the Fire could be used like a kindle, does it have the same "easy on your eyes" screen for reading?

No.

All your books will move if they're in the cloud.
    They aren't as far as I know, but seems to be tutorials to stick them onto laptop via usb then bring across

Thanks I'd defo prefer an e-reader place is coming down with tablets they wreck my eyes tbh

Thanks for all the replies folks much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

rustynutz wrote: »

Fire doesn't come close in my opinion. Kindle is much lighter and definitely easier on your eyes. Buy a fire if you need a tablet by all means but if you already have a tablet you can download the Kindle app and give it a try. No comparison (in my opinion!)

I don't think I have read a "paper" book since the Kindle was launched.

You can transfer non-Amazon books over by connecting Kindle to laptop or computer. Download books into a folder, connect new Kindle and transfer over

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah it was mentioned earlier in this thread. Hope you got the GBP10 free when you topped up your account by GPB100 too?

The thought did cross my mind but I was only buying a fire stick for the kitchen and this speaker is from Santa for one of the kids rooms. Nothing else jumped out at me to be honest.

Just change the plug ..?
    Oh, first thing I thought of but plug is proprietary and can't be changed.. as it's soldered together and a cable screws into it.

Worse thing is one of the first reviews indicates that so should have looked closed

Screenshot-20201014-222906.png
    Screenshot-20201014-222955.png
    Soarer wrote: »
    If there happened to be something wrong with the top, they’d pay for return shipping.
    You never know what your eyes might see, even if it’s not there!

Allegedly! ;)
    She got the refund after complaining as a "one-off gesture.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

KilOit wrote: »

Been like that a while. If its not an amazon product, its cheap tat
    What you see is based on what you've bought before. Just saying...

Thats on sponsored ads. But not the actual search algorithm thats used when you search for items.

They aren't as far as I know, but seems to be tutorials to stick them onto laptop via usb then bring across

Not derailing the thread any further but if they're on your Kindle you can sync them to the cloud and they'll appear on any device where you're logged in to your Amazon account. It's simple enough in the settings on your Kindle.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Pity there doesn't appear to be a deal on 12 months prime membership.

Our existing one comes up 22/10 and after paying a one off annual fee last year its going to roll off to a €7.99 per month plan BUT if you switch to annual payment they'll charge us €79 (we paid €59 but still).

I think you'll find those prices should be in £ and not €

Not derailing the thread any further but if they're on your Kindle you can sync them to the cloud and they'll appear on any device where you're logged in to your Amazon account. It's simple enough in the settings on your Kindle.
    Your a star really appreciate that!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement