Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Desktops one Keyboard and Mouse

Options
  • 28-09-2020 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭

Ok have another Desktop that I have and I want to connect it to existing monitors and keyboard and mouse. So one I can use for work other for personal use

So one Monitor has VGA and second has HDMI and keyboard is wireless same with mouse

Was looking at USB switcher like the below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IOGEAR-Peripheral-Sharing-Switch-GUS402/dp/B00BD8I2OY

Would this work and with the current set up that I have or do I need more ?

So basically I could switch between the 2 with press of the button

Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I use this, as I share a keyboard and mouse between my pc and work laptop. Haven't had any issues with it, there's a usb 3.0 version as well too I think if you had usb 3 peripherals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MNZ1FVS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZCDCFbSGCY8ME

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I use this, as I share a keyboard and mouse between my pc and work laptop. Haven't had any issues with it, there's a usb 3.0 version as well too I think if you had usb 3 peripherals.

Cheers

Have speakers and woofer also. The mouse and keyboard are wireless working off dongle so take it connect all these to it also should work?

How do you find switching between the 2 any lag or reconnecting to keyboard?

Cheers

Have speakers and woofer also. The mouse and keyboard are wireless working off dongle so take it connect all these to it also should work?

How do you find switching between the 2 any lag or reconnecting to keyboard?

Yeah should be fine with the dongles. Slight lag when initially switching over, like as in a few milliseconds, and the occasional time having to press the button a couple of times to get it to recognise but nothing major. Been using it for about 4 months now and been grand, was a nightmare before manually switching everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I have a Dell wireless mouse and keyboard with switcher. 1 computer has the dongle the other two work with Bluetooth. You switch the computer with the button on a mouse.
    Otherwise try input director to share mouse and keyboard over network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Just throwing this here, as it has already been discussed elsewhere.

Logitech has a range of products that are ideal for 2-3 computers. Keyboards and mice have 3 buttons for easy switching (you can switch them individually, if you want).
    There's also the Options software that you can install on all computers, and then you can switch the control by simply moving your mouse cursor across monitors.

Last but not least, each device comes with a USB receiver that can connect up to 6 devices to one PC. So, if you have a keyboard and mouse, and each came with a receiver, you can connect a receiver to each of your PCs, and have easy switching. Otherwise, they also support Bluetooth connectivity, but I found this to be sometimes problematic, e.g. works perfectly with my Macbook Pro, but has latency issues with a BT dongle on a Windows PC.

Not all Logitech wireless keyboards and mice support this feature, you'd have to look for the ones that come with the Unifying Receiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

I have the USB 3.0 version - again between pc and work laptop - no issues either.

//edit: I'm wrong, it's the ugreen one I have - looks very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I used to use a windows app called Synergy to share my laptop keyboard and mouse with a desktop what was connected to my TV which worked over wi-fi. Worked very well and preferable to using additional hardware. I think it's obsolete now but there might be a modern alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

You need a KVM switch if you also need to use one monitor for both.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=kvm+switch+hdmi&ref=choice_dp_b
    So one Monitor has VGA
    Just VGA? No DVI-D?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think it's obsolete now but there might be a modern alternative.

It's called Synergy :)
    It has gone commercial, but there's still an open-source version out there to be found.

Cordell wrote: »
    You need a KVM switch if you also need to use one monitor for both.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=kvm+switch+hdmi&ref=choice_dp_b

Just VGA? No DVI-D?

I might be misinterpreting it but I think he has separate monitors for the two machines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

My logitech mouse and keyboard has this function built in...

I might be misinterpreting it but I think he has separate monitors for the two machines

I have 2 monitors that I use on existing desktop that I use for work

So plan is to connect other desktop and be able to switch between the 2 different desktops drives but still have the use of both monitors and mouse,keyboards and speakers?

Both monitors have hdmi and dvi inputs so is a KVM required?

I have 2 monitors that I use on existing desktop that I use for work

So plan is to connect other desktop and be able to switch between the 2 different desktops drives but still have the use of both monitors and mouse,keyboards and speakers?

Both monitors have hdmi and dvi inputs so is a KVM required?

Unless you have multiple inputs on the monitors to be able to connect both desktops directly and change inputs then yeah you'll need a kvm.

Unless you have multiple inputs on the monitors to be able to connect both desktops directly and change inputs then yeah you'll need a kvm.

Cheers

Any suggestionsare they all around price £30+

How about the below?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Sharing-Keyboard-Scanner-Printer-Black/dp/B01N6GD9JO/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=kvm+switch&pd_rd_r=497faf5b-42f9-44ea-9da9-9aa6e43a27eb&pd_rd_w=dwSIc&pd_rd_wg=PsGyd&pf_rd_p=5f50c5c7-54ba-45ff-a0c8-f07a51775ead&pf_rd_r=X58188DXZ62YFT9SDANP&qid=1601307494&sr=8-3

That's a KM switch so will only do USB, you need KVM, more like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089K3LS9K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ysGCFbR6JKBH5

Wow that expensive are all the good ones that price?

The dual monitor ones are expensive. But they are more than twice the price of the single monitor ones, which makes no sense.
    Just buy 2 of those and you'll have to press an extra button but you'll save 100 quids. :)

The dual monitor ones are expensive. But they are more than twice the price of the single monitor ones, which makes no sense.
    Just buy 2 of those and you'll have to press an extra button but you'll save 100 quids. :)

So with the single ones like the one below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083TC68VQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_uLICFb7ZFX4MC

I would need to get 2 one for each monitor? Then how would it work re keyboard, mouse speakers and webcam where would they connect to

Confused...

Yes, 2 of thiose, KVM1 will switch the mouse, keyboard and monitor 1, KVM2 will just switch monitor 2 (you can also use a simple HDMI switch instead of KVM2).

Webcam and audio complicates things. The expensive ones seems to have an integrated audio interface, I don't know how good they are.
    Maybe KVM2 can switch the webcam, I don't know if it work, I never tried such thing, it may be easier to just have 2 webcams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

I have a cheap toshiba dynadock u3.0 sitting after my ugreen 3.0 switch...

So desktop and work laptop plug into the ugreen switch
    ugreen switch plugs into the dynadock
    dynadock has keyboard, mouse, usb speakers, webcam, jabra and hdmi and dvi-d plugged in.

Laptop runs 100% off this setup using middle and right monitors.
    Desktop can run this way (+ left monitor direct for 3x setup), but I now run the middle direct and not off the dynadock as it's laggy when gaming. Middle monitor is dual input and desktop thinks it has 4 monitors but dynadock middle on desktop is disabled in display manager.

Sorry if this sounds convoluted as the dynadock is really a docking station for laptops, but you can pick them up really cheap on ebay (make sure it's a u3.0 and includes psu ~ 20-25 uk £ all in) and it works really well.

But as the dynadock uses display link, it won't be as good as a proper kvm across different OSes, works great in Windows 10 but won't work with a lot of older OSes.

• Advertisement

Asked seller about Kvm and they came back with below

"Yes. But it require your 2 desktops installation dual graphic-card, and your bluetooth keyboard and mouse should with a receiver. You could plug webcam into HUB port on the front of KVM switch. If your computers is not dual HDMI + VGA inverface, we suggest you buy the converter/adapter with chip. The quality of converter/adapter will affect the function of KVM switch.

So I need to determine what graphics card card is installed in each desktop??
    So one desktop is hdmi input other is vga so not sure what they are referring to converter /adapter with chip?

Probably because that KVM is a dual monitor with HDMI + VGA connectors. So in this case both computers must be able to output HDMI and VGA at the same time and one monitor must accept VGA and the other must accept HDMI.

If you can connect both monitors to both computers using only HDMI cables it's better to get the dual HDMI version. VGA-HDMI converters are generally not a good idea.

Probably because that KVM is a dual monitor with HDMI + VGA connectors. So in this case both computers must be able to output HDMI and VGA at the same time and one monitor must accept VGA and the other must accept HDMI.

If you can connect both monitors to both computers using only HDMI cables it's better to get the dual HDMI version. VGA-HDMI converters are generally not a good idea.

Seller said that I would need a USB to HDMI graphic card for this computer with the VGA port only

Is this what you are suggestion just not sure, thanks

So, at this point, can you connect both monitors to each of your computers? If yes, how? i.e.
    Computer 1: monitor 1 on VGA, monitor 2 on HDMI
    Computer 2: monitor 1 on HDMI, monitor 2 on HDMI

So, at this point, can you connect both monitors to each of your computers? If yes, how? i.e.

Ok have to check second desktop but from memory it only has VGA no HDMI

So Computer one(current set up) would have 2 monitors on HDMI connections to desktop

Second computer would have HDMI on both monitors connection but would need some adapter to connect the hdmi to Desktop via VGA

Think I am explaining that correctly?

Both monitors have VGA DVI and VGA connections

Check on computer 2, it can't be right that "it only has VGA no HDMI".

Check on computer 2, it can't be right that "it only has VGA no HDMI".

Need to check as not in house but think its old desktop so not sure what it has

Okay picked up desktop from parents

Below is pic no hdmi input

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vn4ZVgMR2GaUnMfr9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yL1SJhPqYkFDZQCt9

So anyway of connecting 2 desktop to monitor and be able to switch between the two

I use 2 monitors as one screen

All suggestions welcome

There's only one display output on that, without a cheap graphics card you won't be able to connect it to more than one screen anyways.

• Advertisement

There's only one display output on that, without a cheap graphics card you won't be able to connect it to more than one screen anyways.

Thanks

So what's my options I would need to install a graphics card, would it be worth it

Otherwise just connect it up to old dell monitor

All suggestions welcome as don't want to take HD out and use for enclosure

Advertisement