Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Desktops one Keyboard and Mouse

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I guess Squidgy only looked at the first picture and thought the serial port was a VGA port? There is a graphics card in the second picture and it has dual DVI outputs (and s-video, how old is this machine, are you sure it's worth using at all). DVI to hdmi adapters or cables (for video only) are cheap and simple so I think your only real "problem" is audio if you want to go ahead with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

minitrue wrote: »
    I guess Squidgy only looked at the first picture and thought the serial port was a VGA port? There is a graphics card in the second picture and it has dual DVI outputs (and s-video, how old is this machine, are you sure it's worth using at all). DVI to hdmi adapters or cables (for video only) are cheap and simple so I think your only real "problem" is audio if you want to go ahead with this.

It's quite old so as you say not sure if worth it. So something like the below for dvi to hdmi

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LRSCPMO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_DJiEFbYX5F5ZV

When you say audio would be problem would it be that there would be none

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

DVI doesn't carry audio while hdmi can so if you want the audio routed from that PC through the KVM to the monitors I'm not sure what options you would have (if there is even a sane option) without changing the graphics card.

Yes, those adapters would work to convert the DVI video signal to a hdmi video signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Why don't you just use remote desktop? Connect keyboard/mouse to gaming PC, and use remote desktop to connect to work PC when working.

• Advertisement

With network

So I have to connect desktop up to a monitor first to set up connection to the Internet. Once this is done then I follow procedures for connecting if both on Windows 10.

I've spare dell monitor i can connect it up to

Then is it simple after this or is it better to try with initial way of trying to connect using dvi to hdmi cable. If I go this way what else would I need to test before splashing out on a kvm

These getting delivered on Monday Hdmi to Dvi

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WVSLSP3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_MTEGFbE7H91X7

So where do I start to see if it works

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

Just use them to connect your 2 monitors using the existing HDMI cables that are now connected to the other computer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I've been looking at these sort of switches recently.

My setup:

Dual monitors (one HDMI, one Displayport/VGA), wired keyboard & mouse

Work laptop is a Mac, home gaming laptop is a PC

Currently using a Dell Displaylink for work to allow me use both monitors (plus the built-in screen), plus a USB hub which has mouse & keyboard.

When I want to use PC, I move the HDMI input for 1 of the monitors to the PC, and the USB Hub input to the PC also. It's not that much of a PITA, but it's a bit messy.

I'd like to use a switch to save me swapping cables. I was looking at something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEPZOL-Monitor-Dual-View-Keyboard-Switcher/dp/B07T3R92F3

I can't understand why it asks for 2 HDMI connections to each specific PC - can anyone clarify? And would anyone have any advice on the best switch for my setup?

TIA.

why it asks for 2 HDMI connections to each specific PC
    Because the PC will always see the monitors as active, and they won't revert to single desktop as they will do when you're pulling the cables. This will allow you to have both computers turned on at the same time, and switch seamlessly between them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Cordell wrote: »
    Because the PC will always see the monitors as active, and they won't revert to single desktop as they will do when you're pulling the cables. This will allow you to have both computers turned on at the same time, and switch seamlessly between them.

Makes sense, thanks. So if my PC/mac only has one HDMI out, do I then need a splitter or adapter?

You can't split a HDMI connection, so you will need some sort of adapter.

Cordell wrote: »
    Just use them to connect your 2 monitors using the existing HDMI cables that are now connected to the other computer.

Ok did not realise that desktop was older than me well not as:D

Has not been booted up since dont know when as sitting in parents attic. So managed to boot it up and its so old does not have wifi card yeah that old
    Thought it had wifi as it has aerial at the back but could not see any options, see below piv

Back of PC

So got it booted up after some issues and text on monitor very blurry. I exported the settings in system summary and wondering if worth salvaging or just take the drive out and get an enclosure. Nothing on it

Any other system settings that would be useful ?

Item Value
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer System manufacturer
    System Model System Product Name
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 2997 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0603, 29-Feb-08
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10240.16392"
    Time Zone GMT Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.50 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.53 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 7.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.93 GB
    Page File Space 3.50 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions No
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

It's not worth the trouble, especially not worth the expense to buy that KVM.
    Maybe the case and the power supply can be used to house a new system, but everything else is worthless, including the drive.

Advertisement