Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrician wont give cert for work done.

Options
  • 28-09-2020 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Recently, we had two rooms in our house converted to a flat, which involved things like adding sockets, routing in new wire, adding an RCB to the fusebox and rerouting some wires. The electrician was a friend of the builder. Now,we want to rent the place out and have to tell our insurance people and it appears that we need a RECI cert for the work done. He has declined to issue one, saying that he won't issue one unless he signs for the entire house and he appears to bve in no hurry to do that. Do we actually need a RECI cert for the job?Nothing wrong with the quality of the work done and in fact, he found and replaced a dodgy wire. where do we stand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Recently, we had two rooms in our house converted to a flat, which involved things like adding sockets, routing in new wire, adding an RCB to the fusebox and rerouting some wires. The electrician was a friend of the builder. Now,we want to rent the place out and have to tell our insurance people and it appears that we need a RECI cert for the work done. He has declined to issue one, saying that he won't issue one unless he signs for the entire house and he appears to bve in no hurry to do that. Do we actually need a RECI cert for the job?Nothing wrong with the quality of the work done and in fact, he found and replaced a dodgy wire. where do we stand?

Assuming the electrician is registered, I presume this has been checked, the mere fact they found and replaced a dodgy wire as stated, suggested they have genuine concerns about the rest of tge properties wiring, work they obviously didn't oversee. At a minimum, I'm guessing a registered electrician will be required to do a complete property check before a cert is issued, I also wondeed is their an existing cert for entire property, if not, why not? I'd be a little concerned the electrician refusing rather than offering a solution?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi all,

If he’s a rec he’s obligated to issue a certificate 3 for works he’s completed. This work should be up to regulations irrespective of any other issues in the house. If there are any other issues then a notice of potential hazard should be issued alongside the Cert 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

meercat wrote: »
    If he’s a rec he’s obligated to issue a certificate 3 for works he’s completed. This work should be up to regulations irrespective of any other issues in the house. If there are any other issues then a notice of potential hazard should be issued alongside the Cert 3.

I agree and am concerned re registration but I think the OP is saying they won't do a cert for entire property as they didn't do the previous work? In this scenario who they be obligated to certify work they didn't do?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I agree and am concerned re registration but I think the OP is saying they won't do a cert for entire property as they didn't do the previous work? In this scenario who they be obligated to certify work they didn't do?

No, they can only certify what they have done, and they cannot refuse to do that. If they are refusing a cert for their own work call Reci and report them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

report them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Dempo1 wrote: »

It’s clear from the op’s post that the rec won’t certify electrical work that he’s done. These works should be certified using a certificate 3 and test results provided. If there’s any other issues upstream then a nph should be issued.
    The work already done should pass all relevant tests or be left disconnected until issues are resolved.
    A certificate 3 should be provided once all tests and connections are completed to requirements irrespective of testing the whole installation.

Advertisement