Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oneplus Nord 5G issue (Firmware solved)

• 28-09-2020 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

More of a question or troubleshoot

I have the Nord already and now I have a three 5G plan up and running

Only thing is the Nord isint picking up any 5G signal

Is this a nord issue that it requires action from oneplus or has anyone else got a nord running with 5G ?

I was onto oneplus and they said it should work and to contact the network provider

I contacted three, they set it all up and told me to turn off and on phone which I did but still no joy

Should be worth pointing out when I search manual networks I don't get anything 5G related

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

More of a question or troubleshoot

I have the Nord already and now I have a three 5G plan up and running

Only thing is the Nord isint picking up any 5G signal

Is this a nord issue that it requires action from oneplus or has anyone else got a nord running with 5G ?

I was onto oneplus and they said it should work and to contact the network provider

I contacted three, they set it all up and told me to turn off and on phone which I did but still no joy

Should be worth pointing out when I search manual networks I don't get anything 5G related

Have you checked your coverage? https://www.three.ie/coverage-checker also in settings check mobile networks 5G preferred

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Have you checked your coverage? https://www.three.ie/coverage-checker also in settings check mobile networks 5G preferred

Coverage is fine

In settings this is all I see

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭JerryHispano

I'm seeing the same issue on my Nord, not picking up 5G in places the coverage map says I should. (I bought the add on today).

Anyone else?

I'm seeing the same issue on my Nord, not picking up 5G in places the coverage map says I should. (I bought the add on today).

Anyone else?

When you go into the network settings , do you see the same as mine ? 4G automatic or does yours have 5G anywhere on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Could there be a software update on the Nord needed in order for the 5G to work?

GSMArena page 2 of Nord review :
    Currently, you can get the OnePlus Nord in either a single nanoSIM or a dual nanoSIM configuration. The dual SIM model allows two simultaneous LTE connections only and 5G + 4G standby is coming in a future OTA update.

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote: »
    Could there be a software update on the Nord needed in order for the 5G to work?

GSMArena page 2 of Nord review :

I just borrowed a friend's phone

He's on eir 5G . So I put his sim card into my phone (no other sim) and the 5G network settings came up straight away to work with 5G. But when I put my sim card back in it went back to 4G settings only

It's clear this is most likely a 3 issue. If possibly we need new sims or some update from 3 themselves ?

Thanks for testing that, helps a lot. I'm on a relatively fresh 3 SIM card (switched in June), so I'm guessing it is indeed some sort of server side issue.

I'll give them a shout in twitter about it.

Edit: I was trying earlier to see if it was a band issue but I couldn't find what bands Three are using for 5g??

Thanks for testing that, helps a lot. I'm on a relatively fresh 3 SIM card (switched in June), so I'm guessing it is indeed some sort of server side issue.

I'll give them a shout in twitter about it.

Edit: I was trying earlier to see if it was a band issue but I couldn't find what bands Three are using for 5g??

I tried the online chat support a few hours ago, got a random name so I suspect I got the Punjab contact center.

But anyway they said the account etc was all set up for it and after turning the phone off and on again it would work.

Tried that and failed so they said to go to network settings and check 5G network as preferred but I had to explain about 3 times the selection was not there.

The result was he told me to go to the store and try a new sim card but I think I was suggesting that more myself and he just agreed to get rid of me more so.

So at the moment I'm unresolved still but I think I will go to a store anyway and see will a new sim work. If not it's something at 3s end that's causing the issue

From looking in Twitter etc we don't seem to be the only ones with this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

I don't currently have access to a OnePlus Nord, my partner has one. She's away till tomorrow night.
    But if I get a chance I'll try my Three 5G activated sim in her phone and see the results.

I've only just added the 5G option myself ( Samsung S20 Ultra) I'm very close
    to a 5G enabled mast. Not that it applies to your phones, but it worked no problem for me.
    I believe there have been issues with some of the FW updates on the Nord, since it's release.

Are any of you using both sim slots? If so try only the one sim in slot one. You may have tried this already.
    Also try a force reboot, if you've not tried that already. And just in case you are unsure of how to do a force reboot.

Simultaneously push and hold the volume up and the power button.
    Release both buttons when you see the OnePlus logo come up.

You'd be surprised what a force reboot can do, in times of need. Hopefully
    you'll be sorted soon, maybe a new sim might be the solution after all.

bazzz wrote: »
    I don't currently have access to a OnePlus Nord, my partner has one. She's away till tomorrow night.
    But if I get a chance I'll try my Three 5G activated sim in her phone and see the results.

to a 5G enabled mast. Not that it applies to your phones, but it worked no problem for me.
    I believe there have been issues with some of the FW updates on the Nord, since it's release.

Are any of you using both sim slots? If so try only the one sim in slot one. You may have tried this already.
    Also try a force reboot, if you've not tried that already. And just in case you are unsure of how to do a force reboot.

Ok, I've tried the force reboot and still no 5G option. Also sent a twitter message. This test bazzz is suggesting will narrow things further. (After that, there'll have to be a concentrated effort to get past level 1 support)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Padmund

Just to add - I'm not using a Nord, but another sim free handset (Samsung A51 5g) on the 5G plan also with three - but also no 5G option showing up even in a 5G coverage areas - so the issue might not be restricted to just Nord phones.

• Moderators Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Spocker

I have a Nord with build number AC2003_14_200901 and have the 5G option

527772.jpg

Ok, apologies to Kopparberg for hijacking their thread with my indignancy.

I've gotten a DM back on twitter asking my address. I've sent on more information and some screenshots.

Spocker - I hope you don't mind but I've sent your screenshot to them as comparison - you're on the GoMo/Eir network. Build number is the same as mine so for all intents and purposes they are the same phone.

If anyone else is affected by this, can I ask you to add your experience here and on twitter if possible. The more there are, the less likely we are to be fobbed off.

Went in and swapped out the sim for a new one in-store and no joy. So it's to go further and wait to hear back

Hello folks again, sorry I'm so late replying.
    I tested out my partners Nord with my perfectly working Sim. I tried every trick in the book and had no luck.

Tried Using only one sim in slot 1.
    Tried swapping to slot 2.
    Tried two sims in.
    Force rebooting each time.
    Tried adding the Three APN (while using 5G) settings, that show on my S20 Ultra.
    Tried going deep into system setting to look for any possible data switches,
    that might be incorrect.

This is 100% a software/FW issue. I noticed that when you remove the sim and leave the tray out while you are in the sim manager.
    A smart 5G option appears. As soon as you insert the tray with any sim in it, it disappears and the regular 4G/3G/2G options are the only options again.

I would have tried downgrading the FW, but it's my partners phone and between being busy and not wanting to keep backing up and restoring.
    To a point where she might lose stuff. I gave up at that stage.

Hopefully OnePlus will rectify this soon. They're usually good at keeping on top
    of the customers needs.

Did KS&L not mention Eir 5G worked for him and it was just not working on Three?

I did read already there is a SW / FW update to enable 5G to work but brushed it off as already implemented due to KS&L result with the Eir sim.

rizzee wrote: »
    Did KS&L not mention Eir 5G worked for him and it was just not working on Three?

I did read already there is a SW / FW update to enable 5G to work but brushed it off as already implemented due to KS&L result with the Eir sim.

KS&L and Spocker both have tried and at the very least have seen the 5G option in the settings with Eir/GoMo sims. Whether they were able to connect to a 5G network is possibly another question, and not the immediate hurdle I would think.

Thank you bazzz for your late night efforts, I have updated the Twitter chat with your results. There hasn't been much progress with it btw - it takes them hours to reply to each message, last mail from them was asking for my name and DOB to check my account.

(I was going to speculate on what it might be but in reality I don't know - I still don't know what bands Three operate on. Band incompatability would be a neat explanation )

• Moderators Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Spocker

KS&L and Spocker both have tried and at the very least have seen the 5G option in the settings with Eir/GoMo sims. Whether they were able to connect to a 5G network is possibly another question, and not the immediate hurdle I would think.

It may not help, but GoMo aren't offering 5G at the moment, and I'm not in an Eir 5G area. I just have a regular SIM, and haven't made any software updates other than applying all of the OnePlus updates as they are released

Three just got back to me saying they aren't using 5G with OnePlus and they have gone ahead and cancelled my 5G access

They are putting it down to a software issue and they say they are going to get it resolved

Thank you bazzz for your late night efforts, I have updated the Twitter chat with your results. There hasn't been much progress with it btw - it takes them hours to reply to each message, last mail from them was asking for my name and DOB to check my account.

(I was going to speculate on what it might be but in reality I don't know - I still don't know what bands Three operate on. Band incompatability would be a neat explanation )

Cheers Jerry. I genuinely think this will be resolved with a FW update.
    And as you probably know through your research, it's not just a problem with Three in Ireland.
    Lots of people in the EU are having the same issue with the Nord and various provider.

• Advertisement

Someone got back to me at basically the same time as Kopparberg;

"Hi X, I have been linking in with the relevant team on this one. They have advised that OnePlus don't have the software updates to approve our new 5G network just yet. We are working with them to have this updated as soon as possible."

So they are aware of the problem at the appropriate levels. I suppose now we wait and hope...

Someone got back to me at basically the same time as Kopparberg;

"Hi X, I have been linking in with the relevant team on this one. They have advised that OnePlus don't have the software updates to approve our new 5G network just yet. We are working with them to have this updated as soon as possible."

So they are aware of the problem at the appropriate levels. I suppose now we wait and hope...

That's why I mentioned SW/FW updates above, fairly sure it was in the t&cs before I bought the Nordd that 5G would be implemented to some regions via an update on a later stage.

Who knows, with Oxygen 11 around the corner within weeks, this might be part of it?

Is Threes band different than VF?

Hope you get sorted soon.
    Band
    GSM: GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900
    WCDMA: B1, B2, B4, B5, B8, B9, B19
    LTE-FDD: B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 32, 66
    LTE-TDD: B34, 38, 39, 40, 41
    5G: N1, N3, N7, N28, N78
    MIMO: LTE: B1, 3, 4, 7, 38, 41 NR: N1, N3, N7, N78
    *Network connectivity may vary depending on carrier’s network and related service deployment

Ok, I was skeptical that this could be a firmware thing where some networks work and some don't. I thought that standardization had left that level of nonsense in the past, seems I was wrong.

Just saw there that other countries/networks also have this problem with the Nord. I've opened a support ticket with Oneplus about it.

(Now I'm wondering if I'm an asshole for harassing companies about this :pac:)

Hello again, some good news today.
    There was a new Nord FW update today and it's made some network improvements.
    Now it's not 5G yet, but it's getting there. I'd imagine it's
    only an update or two away.

So basically I updated my partners Nord about 30 minutes ago. After the
    update I went straight to work on the Sim settings. When I opened the
    settings, nothing had changed.

So I took out the sim tray and popped in
    my 3(5G working) sim in slot 1 and checked the carrier modes 4G/3G/2G.
    They were still the same. So I added her VF sim in slot 2 and put the 3
    sim in slot 1.

Then I force rebooted the phone and went back into the sim manager. now
    this time there was a new message in the Sim manager. See in the following
    picture. Sorry for the quality I took a picture of the screen(not a screenshot), using my phone.

528039.jpg

So I checked in the carrier modes again and still no option to switch to 5G.
    Once again I took out the Sim Tray and swapped the sim cards around again.
    So the 3 Sim is now in Slot 2 and the VF one is in Slot 1. I popped the tray
    back in and now the Carrier modes showed 5G/4G/3G/2G. See the following
    picture.

528040.jpg

So it's getting there folks, shouldn't be too long now before your 3 Sims will
    work with the 5G network on your Nord. Cheers

OnePlus replied to my ticket saying they're working on an update. As bazzz says, we'll get there at some point.

Three also refunded my fiver btw. I didn't even ask, they just offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

OnePlus replied to my ticket saying they're working on an update. As bazzz says, we'll get there at some point.

Three also refunded my fiver btw. I didn't even ask, they just offered.

I also was on to OnePlus Friday about 5G not working on Three Ireland with my Nord.

The respomnded to me:
    "The told me as the Carrier has now enabled 5G, I will inform this to the higher team. They will check and confirm compatibility of 5G of Three."

"They said he higher team should provide a resolution in a week"

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Hello again, some good news today.
    There was a new Nord FW update today and it's made some network improvements.
    Now it's not 5G yet, but it's getting there. I'd imagine it's
    only an update or two away.

So basically I updated my partners Nord about 30 minutes ago. After the
    update I went straight to work on the Sim settings. When I opened the
    settings, nothing had changed.

So I took out the sim tray and popped in
    my 3(5G working) sim in slot 1 and checked the carrier modes 4G/3G/2G.
    They were still the same. So I added her VF sim in slot 2 and put the 3
    sim in slot 1.

Then I force rebooted the phone and went back into the sim manager. now
    this time there was a new message in the Sim manager. See in the following
    picture. Sorry for the quality I took a picture of the screen(not a screenshot), using my phone.

528039.jpg

So I checked in the carrier modes again and still no option to switch to 5G.
    Once again I took out the Sim Tray and swapped the sim cards around again.
    So the 3 Sim is now in Slot 2 and the VF one is in Slot 1. I popped the tray
    back in and now the Carrier modes showed 5G/4G/3G/2G. See the following
    picture.

528040.jpg

So it's getting there folks, shouldn't be too long now before your 3 Sims will
    work with the 5G network on your Nord. Cheers

What version of Oxygen is the phone running ?

Falconire wrote: »
    What version of Oxygen is the phone running ?

I can't confirm now, it's my partners phone. I won't see her till tomorrow evening.I'll report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I spoke with Oneplus on Friday, and again yesterday.

At first, they told me that 5G should work, but then they confirmed that Oneplus need to issue an update so that the Nord, 8, and 8Pro will work on 5G networks which have recently been enabled.

They could not confirm when this update will be released.

• Advertisement

10.5.8 will be available shortly to EU phones LINK but don't think that'll be it. Roll on OS11

Advertisement