Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Air Dying?

Options
  • 28-09-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

My wife uses an old hand me down iPad Air(original) that I gave her. It’s been working great until last week when it seemed to have some sort of major failure.

Stopped working completely. Screen stuck on a white screen with a black oval border. A bit like looking at an old black and white tv.
    Tried a hard reset and that didn’t work so eventually connected it up to my Mac, put it in recovery mode and did a full reset which seemed to sort it, although left the screen with a shadow of the image it was stuck on.

That was last Thursday and it did the same again this evening. Took a couple of goes to restore it this time but looks like it’s running again.

I’m thinking it’s probably going to keep doing this now and eventually die? I’ve considered getting it looked at but possibly not worth it.

I’ve googled the problem and it seems to have happened before on both iPhones and iPads but could find any definitive reason for it happening.

Anyone have similar happen or have any thoughts or input? I’m thinking I may have to bite the bullet and get a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

adox wrote: »
    My wife uses an old hand me down iPad Air(original) that I gave her. It’s been working great until last week when it seemed to have some sort of major failure.

Stopped working completely. Screen stuck on a white screen with a black oval border. A bit like looking at an old black and white tv.
    Tried a hard reset and that didn’t work so eventually connected it up to my Mac, put it in recovery mode and did a full reset which seemed to sort it, although left the screen with a shadow of the image it was stuck on.

That was last Thursday and it did the same again this evening. Took a couple of goes to restore it this time but looks like it’s running again.

I’m thinking it’s probably going to keep doing this now and eventually die? I’ve considered getting it looked at but possibly not worth it.

I’ve googled the problem and it seems to have happened before on both iPhones and iPads but could find any definitive reason for it happening.

Anyone have similar happen or have any thoughts or input? I’m thinking I may have to bite the bullet and get a new one.

Sounds like it crashed. My phone did something similar to me last year but think was over charged. Worked fine since. Check the storage on it if it can still take iOS updates storage could be full.

I say get someone to look at before buying a new one, refurbished one be cheaper but maybe get one that’s a year out they should drop the prices when a new design comes out or for Black Friday.

If it’s a number of years old it’s either the battery is dying or the last update it had is causing the system to fail or something is failing such as software/hardware. They only have so long a lifespan for any technological product.

Hope that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

starlit wrote: »
    Sounds like it crashed. My phone did something similar to me last year but think was over charged. Worked fine since. Check the storage on it if it can still take iOS updates storage could be full.

I say get someone to look at before buying a new one, refurbished one be cheaper but maybe get one that’s a year out they should drop the prices when a new design comes out or for Black Friday.

If it’s a number of years old it’s either the battery is dying or the last update it had is causing the system to fail or something is failing such as software/hardware. They only have so long a lifespan for any technological product.

Hope that helps?

Thanks for the reply.

It’s knackered altogether unfortunately. Software was as up to date as it could be an no storage issues.

I did get it back working after a full restore, with screen damage from the initial image but it happened again a couple of days later. Repeated the process and it fixed it again but it went again within a few hours and then wouldn’t restore.

I rang Mactivate to see if they would have a look at it but they said it wouldn’t be worth it being such an old device.

I’m going to buy myself the new Air(when it’s finally available to order) and give my wife, who was using the Air, my current 2018 iPad.

I got my monies worth out of the old Air so not too annoyed at it dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya sounds like it was too old to try and fix it. Best to get a new one for yourself and pass on your current one to your wife. You can recycle your current one by giving it to your wife and get a few more years out of them. Unfortunately they only last for so long. I had ipods and shuffles that only lasted 3-5 years once the updates stopped they stopped working efficiently. I wouldn't buy an ipod again, phone and tablets would cover that really and have a device that can pick up music by bluetooth which is handy. You should get a few more years out of the ipad. I've had other apple devices last 7 years and no issues.

Advertisement