Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cooking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Thanks for all the starter suggestions everyone. I've certainly got a lot more options to contemplate now. I'll be sure to post pictures, if I remember the take them amongst all the stress :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Thanks for all the starter suggestions everyone. I've certainly got a lot more options to contemplate now. I'll be sure to post pictures, if I remember the take them amongst all the stress :pac:

Here's another starter to add to your list!

Poached pear and walnut salad, served with beetroot and a honey and mustard dressing.
    The pears are poached a few days in advance and the salad is assembled in minutes. Google the recipe and if you don't find it let me know.
    It's really simple and definitely has a wow factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

now online wrote: »
    Here's another starter to add to your list!

Poached pear and walnut salad, served with beetroot and a honey and mustard dressing.
    The pears are poached a few days in advance and the salad is assembled in minutes. Google the recipe and if you don't find it let me know.
    It's really simple and definitely has a wow factor.

That sounds beautiful :) Lovely and light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Might suit some people

Just had goatscheese crostini for lunch, it be a handy over Christmas
    Sour Dough bread in slices, toast sour dough with some olive oil on it, heat goatscheese in the oven slightly, have salad in a bowl leaves, tomatoes, peppers, season with salt and pepper splash of balsamic vinegar before serving

I know I will have it with some picky bits one of the evenings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

As a fabulous winter dish this is definitely staying on my menu for the crisp cold days. It was absolutely delicious !!!

https://donalskehan.com/recipes/beef-stew-with-cheesy-cheddar-dumplings/

• Advertisement

There was a fabulous thread somewhere on boards where people shared recipes they were using to make people Christmas presents. Does anyone know where it used to be? There was a gorgeous biscotti recipe in it that I made one year and I’d love to do it again. And some delicious fudge too....

Edit: Found it!! Cranberry biscotti on the cook list this week and hopefully beetroot chutney too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

There was a fabulous thread somewhere on boards where people shared recipes they were using to make people Christmas presents. Does anyone know where it used to be? There was a gorgeous biscotti recipe in it that I made one year and I’d love to do it again. And some delicious fudge too....

Edit: Found it!! Cranberry biscotti on the cook list this week and hopefully beetroot chutney too

Are you going to share the link? :)

Sorry I was fierce sleepy! It’s this make your own Christmas pressies!!
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056110995/27/#post115454196

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭tscul32

Sorry I was fierce sleepy! It’s this make your own Christmas pressies!!
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056110995/27/#post115454196

Just spent the last hour reading that thread. Might give marshmallows a try....and the fudge....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

tscul32 wrote: »
    Just spent the last hour reading that thread. Might give marshmallows a try....and the fudge....

plan on trying the truffle's!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I just baked my first batch of mince pies of the season. :) They are beautiful, really short and crumbly.

The kids on our street are decorating the tree on the green so I'm bringing the pies as a little treat for the neighbours. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Good video with Kevin Dundon where he makes Christmas cake https://youtu.be/9ETmYAEbdb4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I just baked my first batch of mince pies of the season. :) They are beautiful, really short and crumbly.

The kids on our street are decorating the tree on the green so I'm bringing the pies as a little treat for the neighbours. :pac:

Lucky neighbours freshly baked treats yummy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

SarahLil wrote: »
    Lucky neighbours freshly baked treats yummy

They were all demolished!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

We all need neighbors like you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Season's greetings Boardsies cooks.

Made my first ever batch of Christmas puddings about one week ago. Turned them out today to change the wrapping and although VERY tasty, if I do say so myself, they are a little wet.

Not falling apart, but very shiny and quite soft. I think when following my mother's directions, I should have used my discretion and not added more Guinness after the mix rested and prior to transferring to the bowls for steaming.

Anyway, I'm sure there is some way to gently remove some moisture between now and the big day, absorbant wrap changed regularly, or a very low oven on a rack for a spell?

Any suggestions from experience to dry my two pudds out a little would be greatly appreciated!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

KLlzabK.jpg

Larbre34 wrote: »

Made my first ever batch of Christmas puddings about one week ago. Turned them out today to change the wrapping and although VERY tasty, if I do say so myself, they are a little wet.

Not falling apart, but very shiny and quite soft. I think when following my mother's directions, I should have used my discretion and not added more Guinness after the mix rested and prior to transferring to the bowls for steaming.

Anyway, I'm sure there is some way to gently remove some moisture between now and the big day, absorbant wrap changed regularly, or a very low oven on a rack for a spell?

Any suggestions from experience to dry my two pudds out a little would be greatly appreciated!!

Afraid I’ve never made pudding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Larbre34 wrote: »

Try posting in the main food thread some others might see it.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1761

I understand you steam a pudding even when reheating it, so I would just steam it for another couple of hours.
    In saying that I've never cooked a pudding before so don't go by my advice!!!
    I undercooked my Christmas cake last year, I'd to bin it, I was gutted.
    I'd to bin it anyway so I was sorry I didn't put it in the oven to try to save it.

Biscotti made this morning. Taste like more lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Biscotti made this morning. Taste like more lol

Could you post the recipe please - thy look fab :)

Bit late but only made the pudding a few days ago, the suet didn't dissolve (5 hours), will be doing for another 2.5-3 hours on Christmas Day, never made pudding before, is this normal enough and how can I be sure/ensure it will dissolve? Thanks

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Could you post the recipe please - thy look fab :)

It’s from the Christmas pressies thread referenced above so credit is definitely not mine!

Cranberry Nut Biscotti (makes about 70 biscotti)
    Ingredients:
    350g plain flour, plus extra for rolling
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp mixed spice
    250g golden caster sugar
    3 eggs, beaten
    coarsely grated zest of 1 orange
    85g dried cranberries
    50g blanched almonds
    50g pistachios (shelled).

If you like raisins you can through in a handful, but they taste fine without!

Method:
    1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C (fan). Place the flour, baking powder, sugar and mixed spice in a mixing bowl. Mix well together.

2. Add the orange zest and the beaten eggs and stir until the mixture starts to come together to form clumps.

3. Bring the dough together with your hands. It will look too dry at first but keep kneading it and include all the floury bits until it all comes together.

4. Add the cranberries, almonds and pistachios, and mix into the dough until they are well combined. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and break into four pieces. Roll each piece out into a sausage shape about 30cm long.

5. Line two baking sheets with baking paper and place two rolls onto each sheet, placed well apart. Bake in the oven for about 25 – 30 minutes (I gave mine 25 mins) until the dough has risen and spread a bit and is firm to the touch. The rolls should still look quite pale.

6. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool for just a few minutes. Turn the oven down to 140C/120C fan. Slice the rolls on the diagonal into about 1cm thick pieces. Lay flat on the baking tray and return to the oven. After about 10-15 minutes, turn them and return to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes. I had my fan oven at about 140C, so I gave the biscotti about 7 minutes on each side. Keep watch on the clock for this part. They will turn into tasty rocks if you leave them too long! Cool on a wire rack.

These keep really well - a few weeks in an airtight container. We packaged them up in cellophane bags last Christmas (10 to a bag), but only at the last minute to keep them fresh. The pistachios do add to the cost, so you could substitute raisins or more almonds if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

^^^^^Thanks a million for that- will definitely make them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

After you make the Xmas pudding do you wrap them in parchment paper then tinfoil and finally clingfilm? I'm not sure about the clingfilm

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

After you make the Xmas pudding do you wrap them in parchment paper then tinfoil and finally clingfilm? I'm not sure about the clingfilm

I don't, I've mine made since October. I just use parchment and tin foil

Same, just parchment and foil here.

Fruit pudding truffles - Christmas cake, toasted flaked almonds, a little coconut, melted dark chocolate and a good slug of dark rum. Formed into ball and coated with dark truffles. They are just delish, warm and christmassy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

They look amazing, I love the decoration. :)

• Advertisement

mystic86 wrote: »
    Bit late but only made the pudding a few days ago, the suet didn't dissolve (5 hours), will be doing for another 2.5-3 hours on Christmas Day, never made pudding before, is this normal enough and how can I be sure/ensure it will dissolve? Thanks

Sorry to ask again, but would appreciate any guidance :) thanks

Advertisement