Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Cooking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭tscul32

We made this one
    https://www.daringgourmet.com/stollen-german-christmas-bread/

I thought it was going to be quite heavy/dense, but I have to say it's quite nice. We went all out though and made the marzipan and candied peel ourselves.

Not sure I'd bother again, probably just buy it next year, but it was a project for myself and Thing 3 and we had fun. And we're the only two who will eat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭pigtail33

tscul32 wrote: »
    We made this one
    https://www.daringgourmet.com/stollen-german-christmas-bread/

I thought it was going to be quite heavy/dense, but I have to say it's quite nice. We went all out though and made the marzipan and candied peel ourselves.

Not sure I'd bother again, probably just buy it next year, but it was a project for myself and Thing 3 and we had fun. And we're the only two who will eat it.

Thank you. I had seen that one alright. All the recipes do sound like quite the process! I tried making a yeasted brack this year, and decided it wasn't worth the effort, so perhaps Stollen will be the same. Hopefully I will get time over the wknd to give it a go.

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Thank you. I had seen that one alright. All the recipes do sound like quite the process! I tried making a yeasted brack this year, and decided it wasn't worth the effort, so perhaps Stollen will be the same. Hopefully I will get time over the wknd to give it a go.

If I was making it again I'd go with strong flour rather than plain flour. A lot of American bread recipes use all purpose flour but I think you get better results with strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I have around 150g of almond paste leftover and decided I was going to make some Stollen, I'd never had it before but have developed a bit of an addiction this year. Would you have a recipe that you could share? I've looked online, but can't decide.

Have you tried the original recipe ?
    I have not tried it yet - but it does not seem too difficult (just mix, knead and bake)
    https://germanfoods.org/recipes/dresdner-stollen/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Does anyone here ever make eggnog? I've never even tasted it, but it sounds like it'd be worth a shot. Any go-to recipes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Does anyone here ever make eggnog? I've never even tasted it, but it sounds like it'd be worth a shot. Any go-to recipes?

We're a Snowball house here instead of eggnog at Christmas.

2 parts Advocaat
    A dash of lime juice or lime cordial
    Lots of Ice
    Fill glass with Lemonade.

Merry Christmas! :D

If I was making it again I'd go with strong flour rather than plain flour. A lot of American bread recipes use all purpose flour but I think you get better results with strong.

Thanks for the tip. I read Felicity Cloake's "How to bake the perfect stollen" in The Guardian, and she actually recommended using plain over strong as it's supposed to be dense. I'd always use strong flour with yeast breads though.

Thanks for the tip. I read Felicity Cloake's "How to bake the perfect stollen" in The Guardian, and she actually recommended using plain over strong as it's supposed to be dense. I'd always use strong flour with yeast breads though.

Ok, well then plain all the way. I've only ever had stollen from Lidl, first time this year. So wasn't aware that it should be dense. It's a heavy loaf alright. Myself and the little man are having a slice every day for breakfast. Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Guill

Gravy

What's your fav Gravy powder to use with the turkey juices?
    I know some people might be horrified at the thoughts but I'm working with my capabilities (timewise and skill wise :o )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Guill wrote: »
    Gravy

I know some people might be horrified at the thoughts but I'm working with my capabilities (timewise and skill wise :o )

Bistro finest turkey! Which reminds me I need a new gravy separator jug

Gravy

I like Schwartz Roast Turkey Gravy, everything else gets made from scratch, but I never have enough hob space (or time) to make the gravy. I do add the turkey juices to the gravy though.

And that also reminds me I need a new fat separator!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gravy

Make it this weekend and freeze it. Very easy. Jamie Olivers one is great. Then just pour in the turkey juices on XMas day.

You can skip the chicken wings and just use a stock cube.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/get-ahead-gravy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

The Nal wrote: »
    Make it this weekend and freeze it. Very easy. Jamie Olivers one is great. Then just pour in the turkey juices on XMas day.

You can skip the chicken wings and just use a stock cube.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/get-ahead-gravy/

Honestly just following the instructions on this, nicest gravy EVER!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Gravy

I've just made the Jamie Oliver one this week as well - two jugs worth in the freezer ready to dump into a pot and reheat on the day. It's got really nice flavours, and well worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

Hi, does any have a recipe for sausage meat stuffing, more the ratio meat to breadcrumbs and the cook time. Enough for 6 people with a bit for the obligatory Christmas night sambos.

Thanks

• Advertisement

bambam26 wrote: »
    Hi, does any have a recipe for sausage meat stuffing, more the ratio meat to breadcrumbs and the cook time. Enough for 6 people with a bit for the obligatory Christmas night sambos.

Thanks

I dont use a recipe as such. I made a big bowl of my bread stuffing. Then I pit a pound of sausage meat in another bowl and added a few big handfuls until I felt there was enough. Also grated in an apple. And it'll be in for 40 - 50 minutes.

Thanks

Follow the recipe for Bazmo's Stuffing Balls and you won't go wrong. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81099163

^ adding extra herbs and a tsp of fennel seeds will only improve it.

By sheer coincidence that's almost exactly my ingredients. I just don't do the egg as I bake it in one batch rather than balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

By sheer coincidence that's almost exactly my ingredients. I just don't do the egg as I bake it in one batch rather than balls.

How long would you bake for

How long would you bake for

40-50 minutes usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭Jude13

Has anyone the baileys fudge recipe to hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

For a boned and rolled turkey, how long per pound should you cook it for and what's the best temp? I've come across 15-20mins per pound plus 20-30 minutes, and also temps from 160c to 200c. I'll have a meat thermometer to check the cooked temp, but I'd like to have a fairly decent idea of timings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

scarepanda wrote: »
    For a boned and rolled turkey, how long per pound should you cook it for and what's the best temp? I've come across 15-20mins per pound plus 20-30 minutes, and also temps from 160c to 200c. I'll have a meat thermometer to check the cooked temp, but I'd like to have a fairly decent idea of timings.

You’d probably be best to stick to these cooking times.

https://www.safefood.net/turkey-calculator

They say
    The calculator does not apply to turkey that is boned and rolled. In an oven that is set at 180°C / 350ºF / Gas Mark 4, you should allow 20 minutes per pound, plus 20 minutes.

I wouldn’t go with 200c tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

You’d probably be best to stick to these cooking times.

https://www.safefood.net/turkey-calculator

They say
    The calculator does not apply to turkey that is boned and rolled. In an oven that is set at 180°C / 350ºF / Gas Mark 4, you should allow 20 minutes per pound, plus 20 minutes.

I wouldn’t go with 200c tough.

Thank you!

Ya, that's the one I was going to go with alright. 200 seems a bit high, but I've seen 220 mentioned since :D.

The turkey is the only thing we've never cooked before so it's the only question mark over the dinner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Someone talked about freezing roasties, any idea what the process was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Ham and Spiced beef are now cooked and cooling down, Lamb is in the oven now and the trifle is setting :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My spiced beef is done, ham is simmering before I glaze and bake, veg prep complete and I've the trifle jelly/fruit/sponge ready to be custarded. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Turkey breast roast " sandwiched" with sage and onion stuffking and cranberry all ready.. potatoes , carrots and parsnips parboiled and ready to roast, making for an easy day tomorrow with just the sprouts to go.

And it was utterly delicious. Christmas dinner epitomised.. Replete..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Ham cooked in the pot and ready to be glazed. Did 2 different stuffings. Apple and pistachio and chestnut. 3 deserts ready to go. All I need to do is turkey, veg, potatoes and gravy, bread sauce and stuffings to be cooked and I’m done ! Christ it’s exhausting work !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Apart from the roasties and with the microwave, I could have my Christmas dinners in 3 mins. How sad is that ?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

@jenna James. As promised a very happy Christmas to you. I hope you’re enjoying your day. Waiting for your pictures of your dinner !! Come on let’s see how it’s going !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What’s for dessert lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dinner generally a success. Ham a bit overdone but hey ho still tasted nice..

Highlight was the better half's pavlova

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Loughc wrote: »
    What’s for dessert lads?

Chocolate Yule log courtesy of M&S

Baileys cheesecake

Sherry trifle :)

Someone talked about freezing roasties, any idea what the process was?

I freeze batches of roasties a 4kg bag at a time. I use maris pipers but roosters are good too.

Peel and par boil for six minutes, try not to over boil.

Drain, dry and shake them up so they have fluffy edges.

Lay them out on a tray in single layers and allow them to go completely cold, cover them in cling film and then freeze.

Once frozen I bag them up in freezer bags in portion sizes. Cook from frozen, very handy, as you can throw them in the oven even during the week for dinner, with no prep bar heating the oil.

Give them an extra ten minutes in the oven when cooking. I think they actually come out better when cooked from frozen.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Madeira in gravy. I was sceptical. My mother won. Fab.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Autosport wrote: »
    Chocolate Yule log courtesy of M&S

Baileys cheesecake

Sherry trifle :)

Yes!! Now you’re talking.

Yule log

Strawberry cheesecake

Pavalova here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

What’s for dessert lads?

Was Christmas pud, vegan tart, fruit, meringues, ice cream and brandy butter.

Not all together obviously :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

TRS30 wrote: »
    Was Christmas pud, vegan tart, fruit, meringues, ice cream and brandy butter.

Not all together obviously :D

Why not, sounds like a delicious tasting plate :p

• Advertisement

Salted caramel cheesecake, meringues and homemade ice creams - vanilla and malted chocolate oreo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Trifle. Plus salted caramel and chocolate pudding for me, and 'normal' pudding for everyone else. :)

There is also Christmas cake, but everyone is too full for it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes!! Now you’re talking.

Yule log

Strawberry cheesecake

Pavalova here.

Admitting to total failure here! My capacity has decreased with age. Although that means I get triple the pleasure as each course is a meal in itself.. ;)

O seem to eat ONE meal a day in three sections...

But I am prepared..

Part of a choc log..

HUGE apple pie in the hamper the Gaeltacht people sent me ( had some of that later)

Mince pies

Christmas pudding

AND a cheesecake in the freezer...

I also have a pot of brandy cream! I ordered cream lol

As I see New Years Eve is a shopping day for me I MAY even get a Black Forest Gateau IF Supervalu have them still..

And the hamper yielded a "trifle kit"

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭StarryPlough01

I like mini cheesecakes served with seasonal berries. I have served Eton mess, which is quick and easy. You can soak strawberries in a liqueur (brandy or chocolate) - ice cream instead of double cream - for convenience buy small meringue kisses/drops and crush - a sprinkling of nuts - what ingredients you use is only limited by your own imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Guill

Bistro finest turkey! Which reminds me I need a new gravy separator jug

Tried this the week before but wasn't too impressed. Stuck with it on the day with the juices. It was exactly what I wanted. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Didn't do a tap myself this year, went out to the mothership again. No sprouts with lardons, I find missed them. And the rigmarole with the turkey gravy. Can of cider, and a load of other veg, the gravy alone took an hour.

I think she over complicated things this year. Too much going on. Cauliflower cheese, garlic potatoes, honey glazed ham, and the gravy. Weren't things just better when it was simpler.

How did yee all get in this year?

We still have a ham in the fridge and a crown in the freezer. Was bought in case we were a close contact, and I'm just not in the mood for turkey again. I just want fish for the next week, keep things light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Still have ham and spiced beef in the fridge too. We used to cook a goose but only my OH and eldest daughter eat it - youngest is vegetarian and it doesn't agree with me so I bought a duck instead. They loved it and there was enough for the 2 of them for the 2 days. I also cook a sausagemeat/chestnut/apple stuffing which is like a meatloaf and everyone loves it. Still a bit of that in the fridge to use up today with the ham and spice and some duck fat roasties and then it's back to normal dinners tomorrow.

Turkey stock soup for lunch, Turkey and ham stuffed vol au vonts and yorkshires for dinner. The rest will be for the dogs me thinks but it’s still tasty 🤔

I actually went looking for this thread just before Christmas but new platform made it next to impossible to find. Bookmarking it for next time I’m cooking dinner.

This was my first year doing Christmas dinner. I was delighted how the ham, Turkey and roasties turned out for my first go. Ham glazing is very addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

My turkey baster set / thermometer I bought from Dunnes for 12 euro was excellent gorgeous moist turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭A cup of te

Well, my first year making the dinner went very successfully! There's nothing to it really. It really is just a big chicken. I love cooking and tend to cook fancy Asian style stuff - I just love curry and spice! - with lots of veg and spices during a typical week so I actually found doing this type of traditional roast very easy and have resolved to do more roasts in future There was way less chopping and stirring stuff and more just shoving it on a pot on a ring or into the oven. Don't think you can't do it. People overcomplicate it. One thing I will say - very hard to time it all right that you can serve up the veg and have the meat carved and everything stay hot so I think I'd throw all the veg into bowls and put that on the table and you help yourself in future.

I made a tiramisu rather than the usual trifle this year to please the finnicky eaters. Never again. Mary Berry's tiramisu is fab but it's just not Christmas. The finnicky eaters can just have a few USA biscuits. I'm sticking to the trifle in future. Didn't have pudding till the 27th and I'd usually have a little bit of pudding andabit of trifle after my dinner and I really missed that. So I'm keeping it all traditional next year. Want to try a different starter next year too. So fed up of the smoked salmon starter I've been doing for years. I also want to do a Yule Log.

• Advertisement
Advertisement