Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere in Dublin stock CPU coolers?

Options
  • 29-09-2020 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

So I'm stuck trying to find a CPU cooler as my desktop pc has died on me.

Getting CPU temps of 90c+ degrees. I had an AIO water cooler that still hits high rpms and sounds like it's working but the temps say otherwise.

So I'm trying to find a place that has CPU coolers so I can try get my pc back on with something different. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

vlad2009 wrote: »

Getting CPU temps of 90c+ degrees. I had an AIO water cooler that still hits high rpms and sounds like it's working but the temps say otherwise.

So I'm trying to find a place that has CPU coolers so I can try get my pc back on with something different. Any ideas?
    What socket? I have an AM4 one that you can have if it suits

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Have you tried replacing the thermal paste on your existing cooler? I'd give that a shot first before buying a new cooler, but Max Burns in tallaght is probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

It's an old 4690k i5, I think the socket is 1150. I'm considering just changing the paste first, as when I took mine off it was very dry, and there was barely anything left of it (it's 5 years old).

However, if I'm going to travel to get the paste somewhere I may as well get a cooler if changing the paste doesn't work out. I have some work that I need to finish that requires my desktop so I'd like to get it sorted asap.

Also just a note, it was working fine 2 days ago, but yesterday I wanted to clean it out from all the visible dust. I had unscrewed the AIO radiator and fans to clear out the frills and after assembling is when it stopped working, so I'm not sure if the thermal paste would be the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Air locked or perforated with a screw is possible.

Check that the bios is reading an RPM for the pumps header.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Maybe try MemoryC out in Celbridge.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Air locked or perforated with a screw is possible.

Check that the bios is reading an RPM for the pumps header.

I was able to check the RPMs of the pump with HWmonitor and it was at 8k+.

Also Max Burns doesn't have anything in stock, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I was able to check the RPMs of the pump with HWmonitor and it was at 8k+.

8K is north of 1U server fans, its very unlikely an AIO pump is actually running that fast.

ED E wrote: »
    8K is north of 1U server fans, its very unlikely an AIO pump is actually running that fast.

This was if I plugged it into the CPUFAN socket, I tried SYSFAN and it was something like 4-6k range

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Bit of a long shot but there's a place called Right-Click on Camden St that I got thermal paste in last year. Looks more like a repair and service place, but there's a chance they might stock coolers if you ring them.

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    Bit of a long shot but there's a place called Right-Click on Camden St that I got thermal paste in last year. Looks more like a repair and service place, but there's a chance they might stock coolers if you ring them.

Called them already and they don't have anything. Looks like I may have to suck it up and order online and live a few days without my PC.

Any idea which websites have fast delivery/next day delivery to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭djan

Called them already and they don't have anything. Looks like I may have to suck it up and order online and live a few days without my PC.

I'd look at adverts.ie or donedeal in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Cordell

Elara usually delivers in 1 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Somebody posted them above but anything I've ever ordered from memoryC has arrived in the next day or two.

Komplett say 3-4 working days, so that's probably too long. Thought they used to have a collect option but that seems to be gone.

Curry's (ugh) seem to have exactly one for collection which is probably rubbish, not sure what their delivery times are like for the other options

managed to find an air-cooler on adverts, gonna go pick it up now and see what the story is once it's installed. It's the CM hyper 212. I still have 2 fans from the AIO cooler, so gonna try repurpose those into the case somehow.

Installing the new cooler fixed my issue! super cool temps of 20c on idle :))) Thank you all for your input and help!

Installing the new cooler fixed my issue! super cool temps of 20c on idle :))) Thank you all for your input and help!

The 212 is a fantastic cooler for the price. Glad you got sorted so quick :)

djan wrote: »
    The 212 is a fantastic cooler for the price. Glad you got sorted so quick :)

Yeah one popped up on adverts and I grabbed it for 20 beans. Sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Glad to hear you solved the issue - the big problem with not having physical stores is exactly that: something gives up the ghost, you're stuck for days until your online order arrives. If you've got an urgency (work or school stuff to deliver), you're royally screwed. Back when I was in college, my PC just went kaput on a Friday night. Graphics card gone KO - and I was finishing up coursework I needed to hand in on Monday. Luckily, it was 2000 and PC stores still existed; Picked up a whatever card I could find the next morning (an S3 Savage4, still remember it!) and could finish my bloody paper. A kid in a similar position today would be screwed.

Also - PC stores have disappeared in many countries, not just Ireland. They seem to only partially survive in the UK and Germany; Frankly, I struggle to see how something like a Microcenter couldn't be at least viable somewhere in Blanchardstown or Swords Airside, with the large pool of tech companies and, consequentially, PC/Gaming enthusiasts.

Lastly - Usually PC World/Currys in Blanchardstown has a little of the "basics", compared to other stores. I did find some thermal compound there. It was a couple of years ago, 'though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    A kid in a similar position today would be screwed.

When my son's GPU broke, I simply removed it from the PC, and it was usable again. Intel and integrated graphics saved the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Cordell

You probably paid for that S3 card more than a Riva TNT 2 would have cost, and this is why brick and mortar PC stores are gone: they usually had old stock but also with the old price, and they couldn't survive on emergencies only.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Also - PC stores have disappeared in many countries, not just Ireland. They seem to only partially survive in the UK and Germany; Frankly, I struggle to see how something like a Microcenter couldn't be at least viable somewhere in Blanchardstown or Swords Airside, with the large pool of tech companies and, consequentially, PC/Gaming enthusiasts.

Because it's impossible to compete with pricing of online retailers, especially with any UK retailers now due to sterling collapsing. It's a small market, where stock isn't low value either for any half decent components, and there's massive variety for consumers to choose from.

Microcenter did it smart, number of different outlets across a massive market in the US, and have the power to buy in bulk as a result.

Because it's impossible to compete with pricing of online retailers, especially with any UK retailers now due to sterling collapsing. It's a small market, where stock isn't low value either for any half decent components, and there's massive variety for consumers to choose from.

Microcenter did it smart, number of different outlets across a massive market in the US, and have the power to buy in bulk as a result.

This coupled with the fact that hardware depreciates rapidly and that the Irish market is hugely console dominated doesn't help either.

You have to be in so mad emergency to be willing to pay at times double the price for something in Currys or even Elara.

Advertisement