Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI guidelines - recording / streaming classes

Options
  • 29-09-2020 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm a shop steward and am trying to find out clear guidelines regarding union members being able to record or stream lessons. We have a large number of students (seniors) who are unable to attend physically due to being in isolation and we're wondering how we can support them academically. I've left a message for someone to call me back from the ASTI but I can't see anything on their website regarding if we're allowed to record / stream / audio record etc. Online teaching won't work as the majority of the teachers are on full timetables and simply won't have the time to take on additional classes / remote learning.

If anyone has any information it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Panga

The TUI have advised teachers not to live stream themselves. They've an FAQ on their website on students who are high risk or isolating. I think there are all kinds of privacy issues around broadcasting live from a classroom full of minors.

Their advice is threat students who are high risk and out for an extended time should be taught by teachers who are also high risk and teaching from home. The education centres are to help coordinate this.
    Students who are self isolating cam be sent work online and helped to catch up on their return.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Thanks Panga for the reply.

Fortunately we have no high-risk teachers - all our teachers are physically present in school.

I'm waiting for a call back from the ASTI to clarify - even if we could audio record it would make a difference?? Most of our students who are isolating are Leaving Cert level so we'd really like to find a way to support them if operating within the union guidelines.

Fingers crossed we get a positive solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

My understanding of the TUI stance is that you are broadcasting footage of the students. If you are sharing a screen and your voice only, this doesn't arise really.*

Also, the Ed. Centres are coordinating the high risk teachers from all schools. Even of you have none they may set a teacher up with some of your students, essentially they may have enough teachers to offer a full curriculum, as I understand it.

*not legal advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

If a student in your class speaks or you refer to them by name then you are broadcasting their data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Though I agree that we might have a moral imperative to try to educate those who are absent or isolating owing to covid as it is for the betterment and health of society, I think the union are right on this one.

Some schools well able to live stream, some fantastic teachers who are also tech wizards. But our employers have done sweet FA to prepare us for any of this. They have drastically under invested in education, and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Papering over the cracks by using your brother's zoom account, or trying to use Teams in a roundabout way lets the DES off with doing nothing to improve education other than to mess up the jct and increase the sale of post it's by 10000%.

People like us to be in a vocation when it suits, and professionals when it suits other times. I think tough love to make the long term point is needed here.

(had live streamed a few classes before asti said not to)

• Advertisement
Advertisement